'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 239789 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #750 on: December 12, 2022, 01:50:11 PM »
I'm guessing with Texas' booster capabilities, his fiancee will have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of reasons to not press charges.

It's not her choice. She can refuse to cooperate, which likely will influence the decision, but it's not her call.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #751 on: December 12, 2022, 01:52:04 PM »
I'm guessing with Texas' booster capabilities, his fiancee will have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of reasons to not press charges.

I mean - if they intend to stay engaged - there's literally millions on the line if he were to lose his job.  That may be enough of a reason.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #752 on: December 12, 2022, 01:56:39 PM »
Not necessarily true.
There will be statements to police, officer testimony, possible occurrence witnesses and potential physical evidence, such as photos of injuries.
We really don't know yet. But it's not out of the ordinary for a DV case to be prosecuted without a willing complainant.

Makes sense. Let's hope lawdog gives us his take on this.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #753 on: December 12, 2022, 01:58:34 PM »
Even though it can be technically prosecuted without a formal complainant, my bet is that no such prosecution ever happens.

UT and dozens of other universities will, in similar circumstances, go to great lengths to protect players, coaches, the public image, etc.  This is the coach boosters shelled out a lot of money to get just two years ago, and, as far as basketball is concerned, he has delivered for them. There is no way they are going to allow something like this to derail a possible national championship.
If he wasn't winning, they would use this as an excuse to terminate him, but he is winning - a lot - and that is worth something.

I hate that it is this way, but I am also a realist.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #754 on: December 12, 2022, 02:09:49 PM »
Even though it can be technically prosecuted without a formal complainant, my bet is that no such prosecution ever happens.

UT and dozens of other universities will, in similar circumstances, go to great lengths to protect players, coaches, the public image, etc.  This is the coach boosters shelled out a lot of money to get just two years ago, and, as far as basketball is concerned, he has delivered for them. There is no way they are going to allow something like this to derail a possible national championship.
If he wasn't winning, they would use this as an excuse to terminate him, but he is winning - a lot - and that is worth something.

I agree with this, except 'protecting the public image'. Depending on the facts, keeping him could be a blow to the image. Schools like AZ, KU, Louisville, etc. don't care about public image so maybe UT keeps him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #755 on: December 12, 2022, 02:14:11 PM »

I may be totally wrong here, but I wonder if Beard's status actually works against him here. Prosecuting without a complaining witness is hard, and if this were some under-the-radar case involving a local nobody, the state may be happy to let it go away quietly. 
But there's going to be national attention on this case, and I suspect the last thing an elected prosecutor wants is to appear he's giving a break to a domestic abuser because the person has fame and status. That may play with the UT basketball crowd, but not with women (who actually vote). The prosecutor may be better off trying the case and losing, and claiming to have fought the good fight, rather than just dropping the case.
But again, this is all just supposition. We need to know more about the evidence before making any informed guesses.

connie

• All American
« Reply #756 on: December 12, 2022, 02:19:55 PM »
I may be totally wrong here, but I wonder if Beard's status actually works against him here. Prosecuting without a complaining witness is hard, and if this were some under-the-radar case involving a local nobody, the state may be happy to let it go away quietly. 
But there's going to be national attention on this case, and I suspect the last thing an elected prosecutor wants is to appear he's giving a break to a domestic abuser because the person has fame and status. That may play with the UT basketball crowd, but not with women (who actually vote). The prosecutor may be better off trying the case and losing, and claiming to have fought the good fight, rather than just dropping the case.
But again, this is all just supposition. We need to know more about the evidence before making any informed guesses.
And remember that while this is Texas, it is also Austin, and that makes the need for some type of prosecution more likely. I think the degree of bruising is ultimately going to be the deciding factor.  If pictures of some well defined finger marks around the neck show up I think it unlikely Beard stays.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #757 on: December 12, 2022, 02:25:41 PM »
Regardless of whether or not they prosecute the case, his job status will be determined by any evidence that is made public - legally or illegally. Again, it would be a PR nightmare if a bad 911 call or pictures of a bruised neck are made public.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #758 on: December 12, 2022, 02:29:39 PM »
Perhaps more than one check has to be written to more than one person.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #759 on: December 12, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »
Not necessarily true.
There will be statements to police, officer testimony, possible occurrence witnesses and potential physical evidence, such as photos of injuries.
We really don't know yet. But it's not out of the ordinary for a DV case to be prosecuted without a willing complainant.

It is very much of out the ordinary. But you are correct that it does happen in rare cases.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #760 on: December 12, 2022, 02:38:11 PM »
It's not her choice. She can refuse to cooperate, which likely will influence the decision, but it's not her call.

It's not her call to ultimately press charges? 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #761 on: December 12, 2022, 02:40:48 PM »
It is very much of out the ordinary. But you are correct that it does happen in rare cases.

What are the Title IX implications for a school employed coach and NCAA member organization to ignore this? 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #762 on: December 12, 2022, 02:48:46 PM »
Perhaps more than one check has to be written to more than one person.

I was certainly traumatized by the whole incident. Checks may be made out to pbiflyer or cash, I am good with either.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #763 on: December 12, 2022, 02:49:58 PM »

It's not. I've sat through multiple DV trials in which the victim didn't cooperate. If happens often enough that there's even a name for it - evidence-based prosecution.

I haven't found any great data on this, but according to this study out of California (see Page 14) ...

"Although victim cooperation is important, it is not the only—or even the greatest, according to the ORs—consideration. In nearly 10% of  cases in which there was no prosecution, the victim agreed to
prosecute on follow-up. Additionally, in 70% of cases where prosecution occurred,
the victim refused to assist with prosecution at follow-up
"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234036293_Evidence-Based_Prosecution_of_Intimate_Partner_Violence_in_the_Post-Crawford_Era_A_Single-City_Study_of_the_Factors_Leading_to_Prosecution
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:52:06 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #764 on: December 12, 2022, 02:51:14 PM »

No. It's never the victim's call. A victim's wishes can influence the decision, but citizens don't decide who is and isn't charged.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #765 on: December 12, 2022, 02:53:12 PM »
I think the big question is whether she has any bruising on her neck. Bruises around her neck will be big trouble for Beard. No bruising and it is he said she said, and I could see it being dropped.

connie

• All American
« Reply #766 on: December 12, 2022, 02:54:33 PM »
What are the Title IX implications for a school employed coach and NCAA member organization to ignore this?
I think this is really more a political than a legal question.  I would guess given the current relations between Texas (the state) and D.C. that there are any number of justifications that can be found (and some would even be legitimate, if strained) for the DOJ to write a letter asking serious questions and promising a thorough investigation of every[u][/u] UT athletic program.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:59:05 PM by connie »

connie

• All American
« Reply #767 on: December 12, 2022, 02:57:18 PM »
I haven't found any great data on this, but according to this study out of California (see Page 14) ...

"Although victim cooperation is important, it is not the only—or even the greatest, according to the ORs—consideration. In nearly 10% of  cases in which there was no prosecution, the victim agreed to
prosecute on follow-up. Additionally, in 70% of cases where prosecution occurred,
"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234036293_Evidence-Based_Prosecution_of_Intimate_Partner_Violence_in_the_Post-Crawford_Era_A_Single-City_Study_of_the_Factors_Leading_to_Prosecution
A sad statistic to be sure

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #768 on: December 12, 2022, 03:01:17 PM »
No. It's never the victim's call. A victim's wishes can influence the decision, but citizens don't decide who is and isn't charged.

Okay but if the victim isn't willing to testify would the prosecutor press charges anyway?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #769 on: December 12, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »
Okay but if the victim isn't willing to testify would the prosecutor press charges anyway?

Depends on the evidence. Were there visible injuries photographed by police? Was there an eyewitness? A 911 recording? Did the victim make statements at the scene that could be introduced at trial via a hearsay exception?
We'll have to wait and see what comes out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #770 on: December 12, 2022, 03:15:49 PM »
It's not. I've sat through multiple DV trials in which the victim didn't cooperate. If happens often enough that there's even a name for it - evidence-based prosecution.

I haven't found any great data on this, but according to this study out of California ...

"

Pakuni, I do this for a living. I've served on an executive board for anti-DV coalition, and have been an advocate who worked directly with DV victims, meeting them at hospitals and staying with them through trial (if it made it that far). I may know a thing or two here. It is outside of the ordinary. It happens but it is rare.

Your over decade old study of DV cases from a single city in California doesn't support your assertion. If you look at the numbers they gathered, 10.2% of DV arrests were prosecuted without a willing complainant which would fall in the rare and out of the ordinary category.
TAMU

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #771 on: December 12, 2022, 03:19:29 PM »
Not my area, Yes. Its called evidence based prosecution. Many jurisdictions were required to prosecute if they received funding under VAWA.

There are some 6th Amendment issues, and hearsay questions in regards to 911 calls, but there is a high number of cases prosecuted without a complainant.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #772 on: December 12, 2022, 03:22:00 PM »

Without a willing complainant, none. Title IX only requires that a university offer a grievance process and that they follow it if it is engaged. If the complainant declines that grievance process, the university is no longer on the hook. The exception to this is if the university knew or should have known that the offender represented an ongoing danger to the campus community. A school wouldn't get dinged for that in a case like this.
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #773 on: December 12, 2022, 03:36:20 PM »
Pakuni, I do this for a living. I've served on an executive board for anti-DV coalition, and have been an advocate who worked directly with DV victims, meeting them at hospitals and staying with them through trial (if it made it that far). I may know a thing or two here. It is outside of the ordinary. It happens but it is rare.

Your over decade old study of DV cases from a single city in California doesn't support your assertion. If you look at the numbers they gathered, 10.2% of DV arrests were prosecuted without a willing complainant which would fall in the rare and out of the ordinary category.

Respectfully, I'm not sure why your personal experiences are more determinative here than a study of 2,600 cases or, for that matter, my personal experiences. Could you explain?

Also, could you point out where you're getting this 10.2% figure? Because it seems a complete contradiction to what I quoted, and I'm not able to find it.
Thanks

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #774 on: December 12, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
Depends on the evidence. Were there visible injuries photographed by police? Was there an eyewitness? A 911 recording? Did the victim make statements at the scene that could be introduced at trial via a hearsay exception?
We'll have to wait and see what comes out.

Fair enough.  Thx.