[Today at 01:43:12 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 239744 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #725 on: December 12, 2022, 11:48:51 AM »
I'm aware. But since I work in DV intervention in Texas I can tell you the difference between what they can do and what they will do. The vast majority of times that a DV case has an unwilling complaint, the case is dismissed, even in cases with video evidence or multiple eye witnesses. Hell, the vast majority of DV cases with willing complainants are dismissed (though that's usually due to lack of evidence).
Down here the law now requires Justice department to file charges if an arrest was made when it is DV even if victim doesn't want to press charges. I wonder who made the call to 911 and what is recorded.
Goal is National Championship

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #726 on: December 12, 2022, 11:51:38 AM »
Down here the law now requires Justice department to file charges if an arrest was made when it is DV even if victim doesn't want to press charges. I wonder who made the call to 911 and what is recorded.
911 call?

Beard's attorney makes it sounds like the cops broke into his house and arrested him while he was sleeping. Typical cops.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #727 on: December 12, 2022, 11:55:03 AM »

I'm also curious about the 911 call.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #728 on: December 12, 2022, 11:56:27 AM »
Right on cue. A little more aggressive of a statement than I would usually expect. I thought they would play it more as an embarrassing misunderstanding.

Since it appears that the complainant is unwilling to press charges, my guess is that the case ultimately gets dropped and Beard continue to coach.

The fact that there was a "complainant" (Beard's attorney's word) makes this tough for UT, though, even if charges aren't pursued.  That likely means someone in his family, perhaps the fiance herself, called the police - this wasn't just a neighbor overhearing an argument.  And the cops saw/heard enough evidence of a strangulation to arrest him. 

Without charges, I doubt UT fires Beard, but this will follow him and cloud every sideline outburst or player interaction from here on out. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #729 on: December 12, 2022, 11:56:50 AM »
I'm also curious about the 911 call.

I saw a Tweet the incident occurred a number of months ago. I haven’t really seen that reported elsewhere though.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #730 on: December 12, 2022, 11:58:34 AM »
I saw a Tweet the incident occurred a number of months ago. I haven’t really seen that reported elsewhere though.
It said it was a "hot" call so supposedly the incident is happening at the moment.
Goal is National Championship

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #731 on: December 12, 2022, 12:00:20 PM »

Yeah, I don't think the police were just sitting around after midnight and decided to make a sudden arrest based on some old report.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #732 on: December 12, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
It said it was a "hot" call so supposedly the incident is happening at the moment.

That makes sense. Thanks!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #733 on: December 12, 2022, 12:01:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't think the police were just sitting around after midnight and decided to make a sudden arrest based on some old report.

Saw a tweet that said the incident occurred at their home (which was listed for sale in September).

Maybe that is where the confusion is here.
VIOLENCE!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #734 on: December 12, 2022, 12:03:18 PM »
The fact that there was a "complainant" (Beard's attorney's word) makes this tough for UT, though, even if charges aren't pursued.  That likely means someone in his family, perhaps the fiance herself, called the police - this wasn't just a neighbor overhearing an argument.  And the cops saw/heard enough evidence of a strangulation to arrest him. 

Without charges, I doubt UT fires Beard, but this will follow him and cloud every sideline outburst or player interaction from here on out.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but do you honestly think Texas would fire him if he is charged? Watch this get quickly swept under the rug. We're talking about Texas here. C'mon!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #735 on: December 12, 2022, 12:05:04 PM »
Arrested at 4:18...but hey, why don't you step on my good material.

I will rain on your good material.  911 call was at 12:15.  Booked at 4:18.  So Beard's "nothing good" act was at roughly 12:15.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/texas-coach-chris-beard-arrested-on-felony-assault-charge-for-alleged-strangulation-of-family-member/
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #736 on: December 12, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »
Not trying to give you a hard time, but do you honestly think Texas would fire him if he is charged? Watch this get quickly swept under the rug. We're talking about Texas here. C'mon!
It can't really get swept under the rug, that ship has sailed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #737 on: December 12, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »

If he is charged, at the very least he will be suspended with pay. And there is some stuff that still is going to come out about this.  Who called 911?  Why was it considered a "hot" call? What evidence was collected - including pictures.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #738 on: December 12, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »

If he is charged, at the very least he will be suspended with pay. And there is some stuff that still is going to come out about this.  Who called 911?  Why was it considered a "hot" call? What evidence was collected - including pictures.

Ray Rice redux. Sounded like a really bad story - but then the video came out and it was devastating.

Same thing will happen here if/when the audio is released. It will be immediate removal if he hasn't already resigned.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #739 on: December 12, 2022, 12:31:20 PM »
It can't really get swept under the rug, that ship has sailed.

Fair enough. It's just that the most I see-assuming he is charged and convicted-is a suspended sentence and community service. Picking up dog poop that the owners of said dogs should have done themselves sounds like something he could do. I cannot imagine UT firing him unless he does time. That was my main point.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #740 on: December 12, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »
Fair enough. It's just that the most I see-assuming he is charged and convicted-is a suspended sentence and community service. Picking up dog poop that the owners of said dogs should have done themselves sounds like something he could do. I cannot imagine UT firing him unless he does time. That was my main point.

If he is found guilty of domestic violence he will be fired. No matter if the sentence is suspended or not.

The outcry among the students, and the media circus UT will have to go through, will not be even close to being worth the effort.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #741 on: December 12, 2022, 12:43:21 PM »

If he is convicted, he will be fired. All universities that accept federal funding (so all but 4 of them) are bound by Title IX and VAWA. While those don't specifically spell out minimum sanctions for various forms of sexual violence, they have led to a vast majority of universities creating university polices with minimum sanctioning guidelines. I can't speak for UT-Austin, but students/employees found responsible for strangulation is an auto-expel/terminate at most universities. Failure to follow their internal policies could result in multi million dollar civil litigation. It could also result in the Department of Education getting involved and cutting off all of UT-Austin's federal funding. This has never happened but it is a stick that the DoE likes to swing around to keep universities in line.

Again, if I was a betting man, I think this case will be dropped and Beard will continue to coach in Austin. Not because there is no merit to the case (I have no idea if there is or not) but because most DV complainants end up not following through on pressing charges and most DAs will not prosecute without a willing complainant.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #742 on: December 12, 2022, 12:51:22 PM »
If he is convicted, he will be fired. All universities that accept federal funding (so all but 4 of them) are bound by Title IX and VAWA. While those don't specifically spell out minimum sanctions for various forms of sexual violence, they have led to a vast majority of universities creating university polices with minimum sanctioning guidelines. I can't speak for UT-Austin, but students/employees found responsible for strangulation is an auto-expel/terminate at most universities. Failure to follow their internal policies could result in multi million dollar civil litigation. It could also result in the Department of Education getting involved and cutting off all of UT-Austin's federal funding. This has never happened but it is a stick that the DoE likes to swing around to keep universities in line.

Again, if I was a betting man, I think this case will be dropped and Beard will continue to coach in Austin. Not because there is no merit to the case (I have no idea if there is or not) but because most DV complainants end up not following through on pressing charges and most DAs will not prosecute without a willing complainant.

Sadly this is probably the most likely scenario.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #743 on: December 12, 2022, 01:20:58 PM »
Confirmed to be a woman and not the boyfriend of his daughter.

I think hes done for.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #744 on: December 12, 2022, 01:24:23 PM »
Confirmed to be a woman and not the boyfriend of his daughter.

I think hes done for.

ahem....

"Another reporter for the Statesman, Ryan Autullo, provided more critical information — that the complainant in this case is Beard’s fiance."

And to expand on that:
“NEW: I’m told the complaining witness in Chris Beard’s arrest is his fiancé,” Autullo tweeted. However, he later deleted that tweet and commented that he did so out of respect of privacy for the involved parties.

“I removed a tweet on Chris Beard that identified his relationship with the complainant in his arrest. I did this out of privacy concerns for the complainant,” he added.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:27:27 PM by rocky_warrior »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #745 on: December 12, 2022, 01:31:33 PM »
Austin PD press release:

On December 12, 2022, at approximately 12:15 a.m., the Austin Police Department (APD) received a 9-1-1 call for a disturbance in the 1900 block of Vista Lane. The caller reported the disturbance was no longer ongoing and one of the individuals had left the house. APD officers responded and located a woman who stated she had been assaulted and strangled by Christopher Michael Beard. 

Beard was booked into Travis County Jail. He is charged with Assault by Strangulation/Suffocation - Family Violence, a third degree felony. 

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Austin Police Department at 512-974-TIPS. You may submit your tip anonymously through the Capital Area Crime Stoppers Program by visiting austincrimestoppers.org or by calling 512-472-8477. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #746 on: December 12, 2022, 01:39:57 PM »

If he is found guilty of domestic violence he will be fired. No matter if the sentence is suspended or not.

The outcry among the students, and the media circus UT will have to go through, will not be even close to being worth the effort.

Let's hope so.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #747 on: December 12, 2022, 01:40:49 PM »
Sad to say, but at UT it is easy to imagine that some booster writes a big enough check to make the complainant have a quick change of heart. And, as another poster said, without a willing complainant, the DA has nothing to prosecute.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #748 on: December 12, 2022, 01:46:35 PM »
I'm guessing with Texas' booster capabilities, his fiancee will have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of reasons to not press charges.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #749 on: December 12, 2022, 01:47:07 PM »
Sad to say, but at UT it is easy to imagine that some booster writes a big enough check to make the complainant have a quick change of heart. And, as another poster said, without a willing complainant, the DA has nothing to prosecute.

Not necessarily true.
There will be statements to police, officer testimony, possible occurrence witnesses and potential physical evidence, such as photos of injuries.
We really don't know yet. But it's not out of the ordinary for a DV case to be prosecuted without a willing complainant.