'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Swopshire to Louisville  (Read 4039 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Swopshire to Louisville
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:28:19 PM »
DAMN!

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Swopshire to Louisville

Louisville has received another commitment for basketball after forward Jared Swopshire gave the Cardinals a verbal today.
The 6-foot-8 Swopshire just told me he gave the UL coaches a comittment on his official visit.

He plays at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., and averaged 20 points and eight rebounds last season.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Swopshire to Louisville
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:00:29 PM »
Must have had his mind made up before the official visit.  Can't say I'm terribly surprised.  It would, however, have been nice to trump Pitino. 
Ludum habemus.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
Louisville and G-town are tearing it up on the recruiting trail right now. I don't know how Marquette is going to be able to stay in the upper echelon of the BE with the kind of talent Pitino and JTIII are reeling in right now. Louisville and G-town are both going to have a great shot to win a national championship in the next few years with the caliber of talent they have coming in. G-town just got a commitment from Greg Monroe the #1 prospect in the 2008 class, and they have a sick class coming in from this year. Louisville already has a verbal from a top 5 kid in Samardo Samuel, who I might add is a frickin' monster. It also looks like they will get another commitment from a top 5 kid whenever Tyreke Evans decides. Add those two recruits to a couple other top 50-100 kids and Louisville has loads of talent coming in. Plus, both G-town and Louisville are already stacked with a lot of really good talent at the moment. It's scary how good those two programs could be the next 2-3 years. Crean needs to start getting some more high caliber talent in here otherwise MU is going to take one helluva a nose dive after next year. Jamil Wilson would be a great start.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 07:34:40 PM by MUFanInGreenBay »

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »
Wow -- this past week has certainly been a roller coaster.  You end last week with the 'feel-good' Marquette Madness and follow it up with a commit from a pretty good recruit, but since losing out on Shumpert...  damn.  I know these guys would've had no effect on this season, but this week is gonna sting for a bit.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »
Louisville and G-town are tearing it up on the recruiting trail right now. I don't know how Marquette is going to be able to stay in the upper echelon of the BE with the kind of talent Pitino and JTIII are reeling in right now. Louisville and G-town are both going to have a great shot to win a national championship in the next few years with the caliber of talent they have coming in. G-town just got a commitment from Greg Monroe the #1 prospect in the 2008 class, and they have a sick class coming in from this year. Louisville already has a verbal from a top 5 kid in Samardo Samuel, who I might add is a frickin' monster. It also looks like they will get another commitment from a top 5 kid whenever Tyreke Evans decides. Add those two recruits to a couple other top 50-100 kids and Louisville has loads of talent coming in. Plus, both G-town and Louisville are already stacked with a lot of really good talent at the moment. It's scary how good those two programs could be the next 2-3 years. Crean needs to start getting some more high caliber talent in here otherwise MU is going to take one helluva a nose dive after next year. Jamil Wilson would be a great start.

Dude, that's two teams. Upper echelon of the Big East, to me, is finishing top 5 every season. Pretty sure we can still do that.

Pitino has always recruited like this. He has always "out-recruited" Marquette and Crean when it comes to "big names" and rankings. Nothing different now. Crean has a great record against Pitino and I'd expect that series to remain even at worst.

G'town has some great talent coming in but whose to say that all these kids will pan out? Perhaps Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert are the best 1-2 combo they'll have in this 8-10 year span? Whose to say our guys won't turn into great combinations? It's just too much of an unknown to get that worried about it.

I'm not saying all is well with our recruiting but I also don't see a point in being worried about a season that won't take place for 13 months or 25 months.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 10:39:13 PM »
please don't paint me as a pessimist, but not only are we being out recruited in the BEast, but by the likes of Bruce Pearl and Bo Ryan!  Now, that hurts.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 02:34:36 AM »
It sure hurts to lose these guys, but if they fail to qualify, it's all a wash.
SS Marquette

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 07:36:53 AM »

If you asked those kids if they think they are going to be in the NBA in one or two (maximum) years, how many do you think would respond yes?

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »

Dude, that's two teams. Upper echelon of the Big East, to me, is finishing top 5 every season. Pretty sure we can still do that.

Pitino has always recruited like this. He has always "out-recruited" Marquette and Crean when it comes to "big names" and rankings. Nothing different now. Crean has a great record against Pitino and I'd expect that series to remain even at worst.

G'town has some great talent coming in but whose to say that all these kids will pan out? Perhaps Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert are the best 1-2 combo they'll have in this 8-10 year span? Whose to say our guys won't turn into great combinations? It's just too much of an unknown to get that worried about it.

I'm not saying all is well with our recruiting but I also don't see a point in being worried about a season that won't take place for 13 months or 25 months.

Dude, it's not just Louisville and G-town that are recruiting well. Go checkout the talent programs like Cuse' and Villanova also have coming in. They're reloading with some very talented players as well. Like I said if Crean doesn't start getting more high caliber talent Marquette will be falling to the back of the pack in the BE. We already have a severe lack of talent in the frontcourt that gets exposed heavily every year. With Barro leaving next year it looks like it will not get much better either. We're going to be left with prolly only one good legit big in Mbakwe. That is going to be a huge problem if you ask me. Especially when you got teams like the Georgetown's and Louisville's that run out 3-4 really good big men.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 09:57:42 AM »

Dude, it's not just Louisville and G-town that are recruiting well. Go checkout the talent programs like Cuse' and Villanova also have coming in. They're reloading with some very talented players as well. Like I said if Crean doesn't start getting more high caliber talent Marquette will be falling to the back of the pack in the BE. We already have a severe lack of talent in the frontcourt that gets exposed heavily every year. With Barro leaving next year it looks like it will not get much better either. We're going to be left with prolly only one good legit big in Mbakwe. That is going to be a huge problem if you ask me. Especially when you got teams like the Georgetown's and Louisville's that run out 3-4 really good big men.

Now we're up to 4 teams. Still doable for MU to finish in the top 5.

This is nothing new. Cuse and Connecticut have always brought in ridiculous talent. Louisville under Pitino is the same. The Hoyas are starting new and Wright is reloading at Nova. We've had to deal with this stuff for all of Crean's tenure. Huggins at Cincinnati always had better recruits then Crean. Calipari always had higher rated kids then Crean.

In essence, all you're talking about is the froncourt. It's really the only thing you bring up and there we agree 100%. The talent has to improve. However, we have what looks to be a pretty talented kid in Hayward and an athletic monster in Mbakwe. It's a start. We can round out the role playing with Hazel and Burke. Crean is never going to recruit high impact big guys unless we land a diamond in the rough. Even still, he's been able to compete and compete well in the Big East and Marquette remains the best team in terms of results that transferred over from C-USA.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 10:29:03 AM »

I will never deny that talent is important to a team.

BUT, I'm pretty sure that winning the Big East actually involves winning games, not just getting the highest ranked recruits.

Crean has done a good/great job recruiting in his tenure, but obviously needs to keep bringing in talent to keep up.

Something else to chew on:

In order for MU to land some high profile recruits, they are going to have to miss on some too. Recruiting has a sales element to it, so you have to remember that some of it is just a numbers game. MU is going to miss out on some highly ranked guys (butch, j. smith, k. locious, shumpert, etc.), but MU is also going to land some pretty highly ranked ones as well (matthews, DJ, Mbakwe, etc.)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
EARTH to MU FANS
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 10:31:35 AM »
Uhm, in the past 5 years has there been ONE TIME where we finished ahead of Louisville in recruiting?  For that matter UCONN?

What's our record against those teams?

We'll be just fine.

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »
i think next year about this time will be much more exciting..young people dont like competing for anything, everyone wants somethin handed to them..even with shumpert..you couldnt have guaranteed he'd b starting his fresh or soph season really.. a lot of people have dj testing nba waters again but if u believe the articles it seems like the pro's told him he needed extensive seasoning..to me the scouts are saying what a great potential he is but how unpolished he is as well..1 season doesnt cut it IMO..

so next yr this time mu will have..a lot... of scholies available for those kids who want to step in and b stars instantly.. i was hoping for ben-eze but after that ...cant say im surprised