[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo Post Game (Comments on JJJ DNP)  (Read 82635 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Wojo Post Game (Comments on JJJ DNP)
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »
Wojo:  "not pleased, no moral victories.  We should have won the game."

Wojo:  "our offense killed us"

Wojo:  "if could change anything, we had 9 assists and 18 turnovers."

Wojo"  "I'm disappointed."

Homer, "This one bothers you most than most."

Wojo:  "Based on the way JJJ practiced, he DNP.  If you don't bring it in practice, I have no confidence.  Their is a standard and if you don't bring it in practice, you don't play, even if that limits us to 7 players."

jsglow

• All American
Re: Wojo Post Game (Comments on JJJ DNP)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
+1.

We build for the long haul.  Not one Saturday afternoon.  Letting your teammates down is unacceptable.  Get your head on straight and get ready to play at MSG.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
+1.

We build for the long haul.  Not one Saturday afternoon.  Letting your teammates down is unacceptable.  Get your head on straight and get ready to play at MSG.
+1

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
+1.

That was my thought. While 10 minutes may have been the difference, we aren't playing for seeding this year. Teach these lessons now so guys know what's expected of them and don't make these mistakes in the future.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
That was my thought. While 10 minutes may have been the difference, we aren't playing for seeding this year. Teach these lessons now so guys know what's expected of them and don't make these mistakes in the future.

Is there any statistical evidence whatsoever that's supports these "lessons" working effectively? JJJ doesn't have an ounce of Fire in his body at all. He's just a goofy guy out there enjoying himself. Much like Jamail jones. I don't think he's the type to all of the sudden start to bring it now that the coach benched him a full game. I think more often than not guys just look elsewhere when their practice habits don't correlate with the coaches expectations.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »

I think that's extremely unfair to Juan, Derrick and Matt.  So what's worse, JuJuan detrimentally affecting the other seven or Wojo detrimentally affecting all eight?  IMO making a statement like this goes one of two ways.  It either galvanizes the team or it erodes faith in the leadership of the team.  When your punishment of one individual also punishes the team as a whole, then it's probably not the best decision given that there was no rule violation, academic issue, or outside legal trouble.  This isn't Hoosiers we're watching.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
I think that's extremely unfair to Juan, Derrick and Matt.  So what's worse, JuJuan detrimentally affecting the other seven or Wojo detrimentally affecting all eight?  IMO making a statement like this goes one of two ways.  It either galvanizes the team or it erodes faith in the leadership of the team.  When your punishment of one individual also punishes the team as a whole, then it's probably not the best decision given that there was no rule violation, academic issue, or outside legal trouble.  This isn't Hoosiers we're watching.

What would you suggest Wojo do instead?

Players are smart. They don't look at Wojo and say he lost us the game by benching JjJ. They say JjJ let us down by not doing what he needed to do to get on the court.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
I think that's extremely unfair to Juan, Derrick and Matt.  So what's worse, JuJuan detrimentally affecting the other seven or Wojo detrimentally affecting all eight?  IMO making a statement like this goes one of two ways.  It either galvanizes the team or it erodes faith in the leadership of the team.  When your punishment of one individual also punishes the team as a whole, then it's probably not the best decision given that there was no rule violation, academic issue, or outside legal trouble.  This isn't Hoosiers we're watching.

So what is the alternative?  What lessons does it teach if you play a player who doesn't deserve playing due to poor practices?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »

So what is the alternative?  What lessons does it teach if you play a player who doesn't deserve playing due to poor practices?

Again, it depends on what this poor practice really was. If it is something more than poor practice and he literally wasn't trying then you have to sit him.

But if he was just bad, you have to give him a shot for his and the teams sake.

We still don't know close to enough of what actually happened.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »
I have no problems with Wojo benching a guy for bad practices. 

But can he bench a player for bad games.  If so, Juan Anderson shouldn't see the court for the rest of the year. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 02:03:16 PM »
Is there any statistical evidence whatsoever that's supports these "lessons" working effectively? JJJ doesn't have an ounce of Fire in his body at all. He's just a goofy guy out there enjoying himself. Much like Jamail jones. I don't think he's the type to all of the sudden start to bring it now that the coach benched him a full game. I think more often than not guys just look elsewhere when their practice habits don't correlate with the coaches expectations.

The thing is, JJJ might learn a lesson from this.  The fact is, the rest of the team will and they clearly know what's expected and what actions the coach will take.  Someone must be in charge. And it should be the coach.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »

But can he bench a player for bad games.  If so, Juan Anderson shouldn't see the court for the rest of the year.  

What is it with you and Juan?  He's had two "eh" games the last couple, but before that he has been Marquette's best all around player.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »

So what is the alternative?  What lessons does it teach if you play a player who doesn't deserve playing due to poor practices?

Given that he's seventh in minutes played out of 8 this season and 5th in points per game here's two more viable options.

1.  Make him aware that because of his practice effort he will be the 8th man off the bench
2.  Bench him for the first half

Now if this was a 12 man roster where a coach has the flexibility it's a different situation, but given the circumstances honorably falling on your sword doesn't make much sense.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:08:58 PM by mattyv1908 »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »
What would you suggest Wojo do instead?

Players are smart. They don't look at Wojo and say he lost us the game by benching JjJ. They say JjJ let us down by not doing what he needed to do to get on the court.

I disagree. Without knowing all the circumstances involved in the benching, you don't know which way the players are siding on the issue. Everything I've seen says that JJJ's teammates love him. College kids aren't quick to ostracize one of their own.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »

But can he bench a player for bad games.  If so, Juan Anderson shouldn't see the court for the rest of the year. 

...you want to bench the guy averaging 10.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.5 spg, and shooting .45.5% from three? On a team that struggles to score and rebound and relies on steals to create offense?

Seems like a good idea ::)
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »
I disagree. Without knowing all the circumstances involved in the benching, you don't know which way the players are siding on the issue. Everything I've seen says that JJJ's teammates love him. College kids aren't quick to ostracize one of their own.

I think you underestimate the player coach relationship. Guys may love their teammates but they respect and admire their coaches (in most cases).

Wojo is a smart cookie. He knows what he is doing. He wouldn't bench a kid unless he deserved it.
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
Again, it depends on what this poor practice really was.

We still don't know close to enough of what actually happened.

And guess what? We'll never know. What we do know is that for the 2nd consecutive year (and under two different coaches) a kid with a ton of talent has been nailed to the bench. Maybe both coaches don't care about winning. Or maybe JJJ needs an attitude adjustment. The latter seems more logical to me.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
Given that he's seventh in minutes played out of 8 this season and 5th in points per game here's two more viable options.

1.  Make him aware that because of his practice effort he will be the 8th man off the bench

I have a serious question for you matty.  Are you a parent?  I don't mean to demean you in any way but I can't tell you how many times some misdeed by a child resulting in appropriate punishment results in the entire family suffering for awhile.  You try not to have that happen but sometimes the lesson is so important that it supersedes other factors.

None of us know what happened.  Wojo exacted a heavy price.  He believes it was worth it.  Give him the benefit of the doubt.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 02:16:22 PM »
I have a serious question for you matty.  Are you a parent?  I don't mean to demean you in any way but I can't tell you how many times some misdeed by a child resulting in appropriate punishment results in the entire family suffering for awhile.  You try not to have that happen but sometimes the lesson is so important that it supersedes other factors.

None of us know what happened.  Wojo exacted a heavy price.  He believes it was worth it.  Give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have four kids.  18,17, 7 and 2 and have had to discipline each one differently based on who they are as little people because not everyone is wired the same way.  Perhaps Wojo's the obtuse one without children.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »

Now if this was a 12 man roster where a coach has the flexibility it's a different situation, but given the circumstances honorably falling on your sword doesn't make much sense.

Situation ethics. What a great way to teach life lessons.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
I have four kids.  18,17, 7 and 2 and have had to discipline each one differently based on who they are as little people because not everyone is wired the same way.  Perhaps Wojo's the obtuse one without children.

Wojo has children.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »
Situation ethics. What a great way to teach life lessons.

Because applying the same standards to different situations is much more effective

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 02:28:19 PM »
Practice? Practice? Were not talking about a game but practice?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:32:47 PM by MUMonster03 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 02:34:47 PM »
I have four kids.  18,17, 7 and 2 and have had to discipline each one differently based on who they are as little people because not everyone is wired the same way.

I completely agree with that.  Different things work on different kids.  But there are some objective rules that all must follow regardless of their individuality, yes?

Any my personal sympathy.  You've got to do those 'hard teenage years' multiple times!  God bless!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
And guess what? We'll never know. What we do know is that for the 2nd consecutive year (and under two different coaches) a kid with a ton of talent has been nailed to the bench. Maybe both coaches don't care about winning. Or maybe JJJ needs an attitude adjustment. The latter seems more logical to me.

He was nailed to the bench for a lot different reasons last year.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....