collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[Today at 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 69698 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »
Tower,

The founding fathers would roll over in their graves at your priest’s suggestion. I thought the danger the left felt was from Trump “being a dictator”. Now it’s the solution? No thanks.

But I 100% agree with you - more love, less fear. And less judgement (including my own).

Instead of less fear, more love and less judgment, let’s go with be considerate and don’t be a scumbag.

Still a lot of scumbags around.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2020, 05:00:25 PM »
As I tell rookies...   Do the work.   Don't be a jerk.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2020, 06:59:34 PM »
Dude have you actually read up on the Founding Fathers and some of the things they supported?

Dude, I was talking about the form of government (a republic) that they wisely chose. But you knew that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »
The founding fathers would roll over in their graves at your priest’s suggestion. I thought the danger the left felt was from Trump “being a dictator”. Now it’s the solution? No thanks.

I'll be honest, my first thought when I read tower's post was "he's gotta be a Jesuit."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2020, 06:49:06 AM »
Not a Jesuit.   Two guys who tested positive have returned to work.   Another tested positive.   Now up to 12.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »
Good friend who wears a mask 100% of the time outside the house has COVID. He got it from his son who returned to school last Monday.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »
Good friend who wears a mask 100% of the time outside the house has COVID. He got it from his son who returned to school last Monday.

Very sad for your friend, but I suspect we are going to be hearing a lot of stories like this in the coming weeks.

Hope your friend gets through OK....

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2020, 04:49:56 PM »
Very sad for your friend, but I suspect we are going to be hearing a lot of stories like this in the coming weeks.

Hope your friend gets through OK....

Thanks. He should be fine. We got tested today at UMOS. The good news is his results came back in less than 48 hours.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2020, 11:28:00 PM »
My county's schools just announced that there will be no middle school sports this semester.

So if I'm gonna get to coach hoops this season, we won't even be able to hold tryouts till Jan. 5, and then it would end up being a short season. I'm thinking they'll end up just killing the whole season.

I wasn't surprised by this, but still, to see it in black and white, it made me say, "Damn!"

I'm well aware that compared to those really affected by COVID-19, this "problem" is a microbe on a flea on a dog.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2020, 05:23:49 PM »
My county's schools just announced that there will be no middle school sports this semester.

So if I'm gonna get to coach hoops this season, we won't even be able to hold tryouts till Jan. 5, and then it would end up being a short season. I'm thinking they'll end up just killing the whole season.

I wasn't surprised by this, but still, to see it in black and white, it made me say, "Damn!"

I'm well aware that compared to those really affected by COVID-19, this "problem" is a microbe on a flea on a dog.

Sorry to hear.

I think there's an opportunity to keep kids engaged, somehow. I think there will be a lot of kids this year with energy to burn. Weekly drills or something to keep them engaged, and burning off energy, might be a fun creative outlet for you in lieu of coaching?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2020, 05:59:31 PM »
Sorry to hear.

I think there's an opportunity to keep kids engaged, somehow. I think there will be a lot of kids this year with energy to burn. Weekly drills or something to keep them engaged, and burning off energy, might be a fun creative outlet for you in lieu of coaching?

Absolutely, if the school allows it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
Former AP sportswriter colleague of mine just died of COVID-19.

https://apnews.com/d22cfa1ba412521063e314be1202c0e8?fbclid=IwAR2AKaWGXjGDkzhYjHSlWYgHn8mbmk9kQDqyuIIqT_qB_OiR9qSjETpZ_T0

I had worked a couple events with him, but we didn't really know each other well. Still, it sucks.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2020, 10:13:11 PM »
Just found out a friend tested positive and is currently quarantined. Check back in 10 days.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »
Sorry to hear.

My kids coach has been running weekly conditioning sessions since May - all outside, mostly running and ball handling drills, some light scrimmage. It's a great way to keep the kids connected and active, the coach from totally losing his mind (not to mention his revenue stream), and the parents happy.

The school is TBD, but their fallback plan is to have some form of intramural season. I'm not sure what the public schools are doing.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
A good friend’s four-year-old son was exposed at daycare. Now he and the whole family need to quarantine and be tested.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2020, 04:07:55 PM »
Not necesarily "close to home" but unsure where to post this:
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20200902/reggae-singer-toots-hibbert-medically-induced-coma

Reggae singer Toots Hibbert in medically-induced coma

Legendary reggae singer Frederick ‘Toots’ Hibbert of Toots and the Maytals fame is now in a medically-induced coma at the University Hospital of the West Indies.

Toots, 78, was transferred there yesterday, his publicist Claude Mills told The Gleaner.

“Toots is fighting for his life and his family is asking for prayers,” Mills said.   

It was revealed on Monday that the singer was awaiting results from a coronavirus test after displaying symptoms.

The test result is still pending, Mills said, but admitted that the Bam Bam singer was showing all the signs of the virus.

Members of the artiste's inner circle have self-quarantined and have taken COVID-19 tests as well.

Toots, a three-time winner of the Jamaica Festival Song competition, was one of the 10 finalists for 2020 and spoke with pride in an interview with The Gleaner in August about his entry, Rise Up Jamaicans.

He said he was pleased that he was able to contribute to the revitalisation of the competition.

It was less than a week ago that the prolific hitmaker, who has been in the business for close to six decades, released his latest album, Got To Be Tough, on the Trojan Jamaica label.

Toots is one of the most toured artistes out of Jamaica and is known for his hours-long sets on stages across the globe.

He has been consistently touring with his band, the Maytals, since the early 1970s, when his landmark album Funky Kingston made him a global superstar, opening for groups such as The Who and the Eagles.

Toots and the Maytals won the Grammy award for best reggae album in 2005 and he was awarded an Order of Distinction from the Jamaican government in 2012.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2020, 04:08:34 PM »
The wife and I tested negative. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2020, 04:13:04 PM »

Good to hear!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »
Just got an email from my kids' middle school .. a student tested positive.

Took 3 whole days of in-person teaching.

(That being said, if in-person teaching is gonna work, our district has the best shot.  A third of the kids opted for all-virtual, a third are Mon-Tues, a third are Th-Fri.    Each classroom is about 12 kids total, and they highly manage the hallways, etc.)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »

(That being said, if in-person teaching is gonna work, our district has the best shot.  A third of the kids opted for all-virtual, a third are Mon-Tues, a third are Th-Fri.    Each classroom is about 12 kids total, and they highly manage the hallways, etc.)

What is the countermeasure/response?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2020, 07:44:37 PM »
What is the countermeasure/response?

Basically .. nothing.  Contact tracing of the students in "close contact" and sanitation. 

Irritatingly, no demographic information was given.  (e.g. it'd be nice to know what grade and what "cohort" (Mon-Tues/Thurs-Fri)) -- which means we need to rely on the grapevine for information.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2020, 08:04:19 PM »
Basically .. nothing.  Contact tracing of the students in "close contact" and sanitation. 

Irritatingly, no demographic information was given.  (e.g. it'd be nice to know what grade and what "cohort" (Mon-Tues/Thurs-Fri)) -- which means we need to rely on the grapevine for information.

At least you were notified.  Our District so far is only notifying a small set of parents.  Only 3rd grade parents at one school were notified of a recent positive in that grade - the parents of kids in other grades in that school were not notified.  But word got out pretty quickly via Facebook and local media of course.

They also announced that there were two positive cases at a Middle School with no student contact - not sure if that was like a night janitor or something with the no student contact...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2020, 08:27:58 PM »

Outstanding.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »

Pffftttt! It took 3 whole hours before we got the notice that someone at my highschooler's school tested positive, I shot you not. They didn't share if it was a student, teacher, administrator, or even custodial staff, but it implies someone went in after being tested. Where they symptomatic or just testing before in-person started? They haven't shared that information, but it is the cluster we all expected.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2020, 08:44:01 PM »
I mean, you don’t really have a right to know anything beyond the basics. If it impacts your student, they will let you know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback