'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What baseball team do you support?

Chicago Cubs
36 (28.8%)
Milwaukee Brewers
44 (35.2%)
Chicago White Sox
18 (14.4%)
Minnesota Twins
3 (2.4%)
Other
24 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown  (Read 25386 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
I always see some friendly arguements between Cubs and Brewers fans on the Marquette message boards so I was wondering what percentage of MUScoop readers support which team. 

Go Cubbies!  :)

Major League Baseball will divide.  Marquette basketball will unite.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: OT: MUScoop Baseball Demographic Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
Viva Gigantes and Always An Athletic!
SS Marquette

ilovefreeway

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 12:48:16 PM »
I really hate the Cub-Brewer fights because I really like both teams.  I grew up loving the Cubs but also baseball.  Given the fact that the White Sox suck and always will, the Crew were my AL team growing up.  I lived halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee and would go to 3 or 4 games for each team each year.  I was very upset when the Brewers went into the NL because I don't want to root against them.  I hope the Cubs and Crew take the division race to the last day, then the loser gets the WC and the Cubs beat Milwaukee in the 7th game of the NLCS.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »
I really hate the Cub-Brewer fights because I really like both teams.  I grew up loving the Cubs but also baseball.  Given the fact that the White Sox suck and always will, the Crew were my AL team growing up.  I lived halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee and would go to 3 or 4 games for each team each year.  I was very upset when the Brewers went into the NL because I don't want to root against them.  I hope the Cubs and Crew take the division race to the last day, then the loser gets the WC and the Cubs beat Milwaukee in the 7th game of the NLCS.

That's funny, unless my memory is bad didn't the White Sox win the World Series in 2005 and win 90 games last year? That doesn't sound like a team that sucks. Now the Cubs, THERE'S a team that sucks at a historic level. Facts are facts.
We Are Marquette

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 01:31:28 PM »
Given the fact that the White Sox suck and always will,

it's quotes like that make me glad that i am a White Sox fan.  because all i have to do is remember the World Series Championship from 2 years ago.  sadly the only people that remember the last cubs world series are 6 feet under.  it looks like that is where the the cub's hopes for a world series this year are as well.  i like the fact that i am a white sox fan because it also gives me a chance be a brewers fan since everyone can get along by disliking the little-team-that-couldn't from the north side of chicago.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 02:23:24 PM »
Well put!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »
I'm a Cubs fan but do not in any way think the White Sox suck.  They have been way better for a long, long time.  But, the Cubs are far from dead this year.  Check out the Baseball Prospectus Playoff Odds:  http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php  The Cubs have twice as good of a shot to make the playoffs right now than the White Sox.

ilovefreeway

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »
I'm a Cubs fan but do not in any way think the White Sox suck.  They have been way better for a long, long time.  But, the Cubs are far from dead this year.  Check out the Baseball Prospectus Playoff Odds:  http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php  The Cubs have twice as good of a shot to make the playoffs right now than the White Sox.

That's a cool page.  I'm shocked that the Braves and Mets have the same record but the Mets have a 71% chance to make the playoffs while the Braves are at 41%.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 03:08:33 PM »
Holy crap, the Brewers have a 61% chance of making the playoffs right now?  They're going to have to work extra hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
Cubs fan, I used to really like the Brewers until about a year ago, and I met some Brewer fans that were just ridiculous. It really turned me off.

I have seen the same thing happen with the Packers and Bucks for me. Some fans from this area really have trouble disconnecting their hearts with stats, facts, and records.

As for the White Sox, I never really hated them until Ozzie came around. I cannot stand the racist, sexist, homohobic rants that come out of his mouth. The man is in a powerful position, and gets away with so much crap because he can forget the English language so quickly. I also, along with the rest of the MLB hate AJ Pierzynski. I also don't enjoy going to the Cell.

Funny how Ozzie has forgotten how to speak English again as the White Sox have the worst BA in the majors!

Ideally, if all three teams make the playoffs, I'd be happy. But the Cubbies take it all.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »
marqptm...did you have a NASCAR message on that board last night that was kicked off?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 04:37:59 PM »
Cubs fan, I used to really like the Brewers until about a year ago, and I met some Brewer fans that were just ridiculous. It really turned me off.

I have seen the same thing happen with the Packers and Bucks for me. Some fans from this area really have trouble disconnecting their hearts with stats, facts, and records.

Yeah that happened to Chet Coppock too.. guess he should hate Marquette now..

give me a break.. EVERY team has fans who are (speaking politely) unclassy.  It is not unique to any particular area.  Heck, I am a Cubs fan and in San Diego at a Padres game I ran into other Cubs fans who were outright embarrassing.  Did I say "well - there goes my love for the Cubs"?  No way, that's rediculous!

So I guess if you're going to start being turned off of a team just because of a run-in with a few fans then you might as well either a.) stay secluded in your house so that you don't run into any fans of sports teams or b.) dis-like _all_ sports teams.  Maybe you are the one having trouble disconnecting.. the team as a whole from a few fans.

*plink plink*
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »

Yeah that happened to Chet Coppock too.. guess he should hate Marquette now..

give me a break.. EVERY team has fans who are (speaking politely) unclassy.  It is not unique to any particular area.  Heck, I am a Cubs fan and in San Diego at a Padres game I ran into other Cubs fans who were outright embarrassing.  Did I say "well - there goes my love for the Cubs"?  No way, that's rediculous!

So I guess if you're going to start being turned off of a team just because of a run-in with a few fans then you might as well either a.) stay secluded in your house so that you don't run into any fans of sports teams or b.) dis-like _all_ sports teams.  Maybe you are the one having trouble disconnecting.. the team as a whole from a few fans.

*plink plink*

Scooper, it wasn't run ins. The kids are my friends, it's not like I hate the Brewers. I guess it has more sparked more liking towards the Cubs and more dislike to the Brewers, nothing hateful or anything here.

I used to like Milwaukee and Chicago before MU too, but now I have to side with the hometown on everything!

Chico, check your inbox.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »
Glad to see MU getting over 13,000 applicants this year...and hopefully that number continues to be more and more diverse geographically, so that polls like this become more and more diversified across the country and Internationally, and not just an upper Midwest choice poll. 

4everwarriors

• All American
Gotta Be...
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 07:45:58 PM »
Warriors for me, baby!
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 08:45:55 PM »

Of course, that's the same Baseball Prospectus that had the White Sox winning 80 games and finishing 4th in the AL Central two years ago.
The same Baseball Prospectus that had the Tigers finishing fourth in 2006.
Fun site, but always digest with a salt shaker nearby.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »
I cannot stand the racist, sexist, homohobic rants that come out of his mouth.

Admittedly Ozzie has said a few arguably homophobic remarks and that's regrettable, though hardly unusual in the baseball world. But racist? Sexist? Care to divulge something I may have missed?

And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't it the manager of your beloved Scrubbies who stated that players of a certain skin tone faired better under certain weather and lighting conditions than others based on their race? Just wondering.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
I'm somewhere between Freeway and PTM on this one. Cubs fan #1, if I'm in attendance at a game in Milwaukee and the Cubs aren't playing, I'm rooting for the Brewers. The Cubs beating the wildcard champion Brewers in game 7 of the LCS is fine with me.

Interesting talk about unknowledgable fans, though. I've gone from resident fan to neutral on the Packers in the last 15 years because of them, and from neutral to severe dislike for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Rodents in the last 15 years because of them.
GO WARRIORS!

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 09:51:26 PM »
I cannot stand the racist, sexist, homohobic rants that come out of his mouth.

Admittedly Ozzie has said a few arguably homophobic remarks and that's regrettable, though hardly unusual in the baseball world. But racist? Sexist? Care to divulge something I may have missed?

And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't it the manager of your beloved Scrubbies who stated that players of a certain skin tone faired better under certain weather and lighting conditions than others based on their race? Just wondering.

Is it more acceptable to homophobic than racist or sexist?  Isn't one of them enough? 

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »
If you take a realistic look at the world, yes, it is more "acceptable" to make 'homophobic' remarks than racist or sexual remarks.

Not defending what Ozzie said, although Jay Marriotti is the biggest turd in sports journalism, but the word that Ozzie used is a commonplace term in sports.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 09:57:18 PM »
Pakuni, those predictions were from the beginning of the season right?  These playoff predictors are updated everyday.  Last year when the Cubs played well in April, the playoff predictors said they would fall, which they did.  You can also check the predictions with both ELO and PECOTA.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
I'm somewhere between Freeway and PTM on this one. Cubs fan #1, if I'm in attendance at a game in Milwaukee and the Cubs aren't playing, I'm rooting for the Brewers. The Cubs beating the wildcard champion Brewers in game 7 of the LCS is fine with me.

Interesting talk about unknowledgable fans, though. I've gone from resident fan to neutral on the Packers in the last 15 years because of them, and from neutral to severe dislike for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Rodents in the last 15 years because of them.

I do believe people  should be able to wear their cap of their choice to even a neutral ball game, without incident.  If a fan not only did that but was also a bleep....then they have everything coming to them.  

There are good and bad fans everywhere.  Take the Cubs for example.  Any true Cub fan would never mention some media concocked curse thing because of the trendiness of curses and the Red Sox.  Cubs fans don't believe in that stuff.  Also, I won't hold it against Cub fans that they have a lot of bleeps at games who consistently throw beer and debris on the field on the outfield after a win or controversial play etc...been happening for years, and not improving, pretty classless stuff....but I know it doesn't represent all Cub fans.  

I've lived in NYC and Milwaukee and imo I have found the people in NYC to be friendlier...nothing against Milwaukeans.  But I would bet a big stereotype would be the opposite.  

Good and bad fans everywhere.  Marquette included.    

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
If you take a realistic look at the world, yes, it is more "acceptable" to make 'homophobic' remarks than racist or sexual remarks.

Not defending what Ozzie said, although Jay Marriotti is the biggest turd in sports journalism, but the word that Ozzie used is a commonplace term in sports.

Education should take precedent over the opinions of the masses.  Thankfully I don't live my life in accord to what they masses believe or think.(sometimes my thoughts are similar to or different than the masses by chance) 

I believe all are equally unacceptable.  I believe I am a pretty realistic person too.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 10:09:31 PM »

Agreed. I don't mean to defend a terrible choice of words, but in a lockerroom environment it is not surprising or unusual to hear that particular word, nor does it carry the same weight as a slur as some others that would be viewed as racist.
Should Guillen have known better? Of course. Should he have been punished? Absolutely. Should he be categorized alongside the likes of Ty Cobb and Al Campanis? Of course not.

FWIW, I find it interesting that some North Side fans get up in arms over Ozzie's use of a derogatory term, yet spent more than a decade worshipping a wife beating/steroid injecting/bat corking outfielder. One man's saint is another man's scoundrel, I suppose.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 10:15:44 PM »

Education should take precedent over the opinions of the masses.  Thankfully I don't live my life in accord to what they masses believe or think.(sometimes my thoughts are similar to or different than the masses by chance) 

I believe all are equally unacceptable.  I believe I am a pretty realistic person too.   

I'm curious ... how do you justify your enlightened position on a baseball manager's use of a derogatory term while at the same time supporting a university that belongs to one of the most anti-gay organizations in the world, one whose leader has labeled homosexuality as "a intrinsic moral evil"?
The two don't seem to mesh.

feedback