[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Best Fan Bases?  (Read 4206 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Best Fan Bases?
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
Inspired by the Heat/Worst Fan base thread ... who are the best sports fans?

I'll give a surprising answer ... the Europeans and especially the French.  The French support everything.  Not only do they sell out every soccer stadium, they will get 80,000 for track & field, host the French Open, get a million to watch the tour and on and on and on.

If you understand European sports, you'll get what I'm talking about.

What say you?  Who are the best sports fan bases?

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: The Best Fan Bases?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »
who are the best sports fans?

The French support everything.  Not only do they sell out every soccer stadium, they will get 80,000 for track & field, host the French Open, get a million to watch the tour and on and on and on.

Wait - I thought you were talking about sports?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »
Sumo fans. They commit seppuku if their champion is dishonored.

Death on call

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »
Staying with Europe, I would probably have to say the Germans. In soccer, the Germans. The Bundesliga has the highest average attendance of any soccer league and I think the Bundesliga is the most balanced. It's not dominated by two teams like Spanish or English football.

For US sports

MLS would probably be the Seattle sounders. One of the only MLS teams that makes profit along with the timbers, I believe.

NBA might be the Trailblazers. I believe they have the longest consecutive sell out steak, which happened in the 90. They pack every game. Portland loves its teams.

NFL is a tough one but it's between Seattle again or the Raiders. The Black Hole in Oakland is insane. Although it has a negative image, they love the game and quite frankly, are insane and at times terrifying.

I don't like baseball, but maybe the Cubs or Red Sox. I think they both have great fan bases, but I don't know much about either.

NHL would have to go either to the Habs or Maple Leaves. Hockey is the National sport of Canada and playing against these teams at home is a nightmare. Loud, hostile, dedicated. They breathe hockey.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
I've always thought the fans at these contests were the greatest.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 08:52:21 PM »
For the record English Boxing fans are pretty crazy as well I prefer to fight over there simply for the energy. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmg3TlfeEj0
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
Staying with Europe, I would probably have to say the Germans. In soccer, the Germans. The Bundesliga has the highest average attendance of any soccer league and I think the Bundesliga is the most balanced. It's not dominated by two teams like Spanish or English football.

For US sports

MLS would probably be the Seattle sounders. One of the only MLS teams that makes profit along with the timbers, I believe.

NBA might be the Trailblazers. I believe they have the longest consecutive sell out steak, which happened in the 90. They pack every game. Portland loves its teams.

NFL is a tough one but it's between Seattle again or the Raiders. The Black Hole in Oakland is insane. Although it has a negative image, they love the game and quite frankly, are insane and at times terrifying.

I don't like baseball, but maybe the Cubs or Red Sox. I think they both have great fan bases, but I don't know much about either.

NHL would have to go either to the Habs or Maple Leaves. Hockey is the National sport of Canada and playing against these teams at home is a nightmare. Loud, hostile, dedicated. They breathe hockey.

A buddy of mine who lived in Seattle said there are very few true die-hard Seahawks fans (despite retiring #12).  He did say that people absolutely love the sounders, however.

Keefe, thoughts?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
Every time I am in Portland I find it near impossible to get a ticket to the Blazers or MLS.  Thus I am forced to perch on a bar stool at my hotel.
Great fans

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »
Raiders fans.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
NFL: Packers - can't believe I'm the first to mention them

NBA: Portland / OKC

MLB: St Louis

NHL: Toronto / Montreal / Detroit (best in U.S.)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »
A buddy of mine who lived in Seattle said there are very few true die-hard Seahawks fans (despite retiring #12).  He did say that people absolutely love the sounders, however.

Keefe, thoughts?

You are 100% correct on the Sounders. They are HQ'd and play at Century Link Field where they average 45,000 per. The fans are very visible and take over Pioneer Square on game days. The Club itself is very active in the community sponsoring leagues, several Academy Teams, workshops, etc... Their level of outreach is impressive and has engendered significant corporate support. I have met Sigi Schmid and while he is not the most personable he brings a high degree of international football credibility to the organization.

I would agree that the Hawks, like the M's, have a lot of fair weather support. When either team is winning tickets become scarce but are readily available on a walk up basis for reduced price when things turn bad. Seattleites tend to be rather blasé about pro sports; I would say the international flavor of the Sounders actually creates more excitement than is given to football or baseball. The Sounders fan base emulates European Club traditions with the scarves and songs. When there is a Hawks or M's game you see waves of people. When there is a Sounders game you see and hear waves of people.

It is different for college sports. Seattle enthusiastically supports UDub football. The Huskies get a lot more passionate support than the Hawks. The other side of the Cascades gives its energy to Wazzou, reflecting the ag heritage of that school. WA is really 2 states: The rainy side is Blue while the Dry side is Red. And ne'er the twain shall meet.    
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:08:15 PM by keefe »

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
Raider fans just love supporting the colors and the logo.
Ask them to name 10 players and they can't.

I would say the Brooklyn Dodgers.
But most of them are dead.
SS Marquette

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
Raider fans just love supporting the colors and the logo.
Ask them to name 10 players and they can't.

I would say the Brooklyn Dodgers.
But most of them are dead.
If you've read any of Roger Kahn's books, you cna't help but be a Dodger fan.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
I would also say Washington Redskins fans. Those fans swear that every year is their year to surprise everyone, and win the championship. Ending up shocking only themselves. It is funny to watch.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
NFL: Packers - can't believe I'm the first to mention them

NBA: Portland / OKC

MLB: St Louis

NHL: Toronto / Montreal / Detroit (best in U.S.)

NFL: Agree with you on Green Bay. Amazing fans...with extra points for not being over-the-top vulgar or violent.

NBA: Agree on Portland. Not on OKC. It's very easy to root for a team with Durant and Westbrook. Let's see what happens when one or both leave.

MLB: Hard to argue with St. Louis, but what about Milwaukee? Small market...almost no team success...and still draws over 3 million? Wow.

NHL: Don't follow hockey, but I've heard many rave about Montreal's passion for the sport.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 08:42:06 AM »
NFL: Agree with you on Green Bay. Amazing fans...with extra points for not being over-the-top vulgar or violent.

NBA: Agree on Portland. Not on OKC. It's very easy to root for a team with Durant and Westbrook. Let's see what happens when one or both leave.

MLB: Hard to argue with St. Louis, but what about Milwaukee? Small market...almost no team success...and still draws over 3 million? Wow.

NHL: Don't follow hockey, but I've heard many rave about Montreal's passion for the sport.

I see your point on OKC, but I included them with Portland because, so far, they are very passionate without being a**holes. Which btw, is pretty much my criteria for determining "best fan base".

I guess I should take Montreal fans off my list because they typically fit the a**hole description.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50:11 AM »
I see your point on OKC, but I included them with Portland because, so far, they are very passionate without being a**holes. Which btw, is pretty much my criteria for determining "best fan base".

I guess I should take Montreal fans off my list because they typically fit the a**hole description.

"Passionate without being a**holes." That's hard for most people. Those fans are SPECIAL! :o :'( :-*

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 10:03:16 AM »
"Passionate without being a**holes." That's hard for most people. Those fans are SPECIAL! :o :'( :-*

Yup, myself included. I try to live up to my own standards, but often come up short. I'm sure some of you could point out a few examples.

feedback