collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Pennant in Paris  (Read 2481 times)

MUSkins

• Walk-On
Marquette Pennant in Paris
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
Just got back from a quick jaunt to Paris. Had a drink in Harry's bar (cool ex-pat bar in 1er) and the whole place is adorned with American college pennants. Just about every school you could think of was represented, including all the major conference teams along with myriad random others like Scranton, Kent State, St. Bonnie's, Drake, and so on...but not Marquette. A touch embarrassing. Can some enterprising young Marquetter studying abroad work to fix this?

I'll buy the pennant.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Marquette Pennant in Paris
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »
Can't help you out there, but jsglow and I are going to be sailing around the BVIs and the Windward Islands in December. We plan to hit some of those beach shack bars that have bumper stickers from all over decorating their walls and add a Real Chili one to the collection.

I am just bummed that they no longer print the one that says "It's not just for breakfast any more."  I don't suppose any Scoopers have some laying around and would be willing to give them to us to promote the cause worldwide.....
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
Can't help you out there, but jsglow and I are going to be sailing around the BVIs and the Windward Islands in December. We plan to hit some of those beach shack bars that have bumper stickers from all over decorating their walls and add a Real Chili one to the collection.

I am just bummed that they no longer print the one that says "It's not just for breakfast any more."  I don't suppose any Scoopers have some laying around and would be willing to give them to us to promote the cause worldwide.....

I always get a chuckle when I see Milwaukee/Marquette stuff in other countries... keep it up!

On a side note, the wife and I will be down that way towards the end of January.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

Grab some Wolski's stickers for good measure.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »
My favorite Kanye and Jay-Z song.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:45:27 AM »
Just got back from a quick jaunt to Paris. Had a drink in Harry's bar (cool ex-pat bar in 1er) and the whole place is adorned with American college pennants. Just about every school you could think of was represented, including all the major conference teams along with myriad random others like Scranton, Kent State, St. Bonnie's, Drake, and so on...but not Marquette. A touch embarrassing. Can some enterprising young Marquetter studying abroad work to fix this?

I'll buy the pennant.

Either you did not look hard enough, or they took it down. There was one in there the two times I have been to Harry's. Not in the main bar but one of the side rooms (walking towards the bathroom if I recall). Was the Generic MU logo...not a cool old school warriors one.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
When I was in London last fall, we went to Sports Cafe on Haymarket, and there were two of the large schedule posters from the 2010-2011 season, with JFB staring right at you, on either side of the back bar upstairs.  I'm not sure who brought them or put them up, but it was awesome, and its not like there is all that much college sports paraphernalia in there.

MUSkins

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »
Either you did not look hard enough, or they took it down. There was one in there the two times I have been to Harry's. Not in the main bar but one of the side rooms (walking towards the bathroom if I recall). Was the Generic MU logo...not a cool old school warriors one.

Interesting. Wholly possible I missed it, as pennants are jammed to the rafters in that place (plus, it wasn't until after a couple of old fashioneds that I started looking). Nevertheless, if someone heads Paris way, try to go armed with a pennant. I'll be in Ireland and Scotland next month and will do the same...if anyone has any suggestions on pubs there that need to get Marquetter-ized, I'm open to hearing them. 

Also, warriorchick: if you haven't been sailing around the BVIs before, you can't miss the Soggy Dollar and Foxy's. Plus, both have tons of space to slap an MKE-related sticker on the wall.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
When you are back in Paris
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
A must place to go is the "caveau de la huchette".....coolest place to listen to/see a jazz band.....Great drinks of course, in the Latin quarter. Building is from the 1500's.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »

Also, warriorchick: if you haven't been sailing around the BVIs before, you can't miss the Soggy Dollar and Foxy's. Plus, both have tons of space to slap an MKE-related sticker on the wall.

Thanks for the tip, Skins!
Have some patience, FFS.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
When I was in London last fall, we went to Sports Cafe on Haymarket, and there were two of the large schedule posters from the 2010-2011 season, with JFB staring right at you, on either side of the back bar upstairs.  I'm not sure who brought them or put them up, but it was awesome, and its not like there is all that much college sports paraphernalia in there.
The Alumni Club in London got a box of stuff for the National Marquette Day in 2011 against Syracuse and so they set it up all over the 2nd floor of the bar. A bunch of us went back to the bar for the Sweet 16 against North Carolina and sure enough, they still had all the stuff up. Unfortunately you brought back memories of one of the worst nights of my trip. Walking home at 2:30 am after that shellacking was horrible.