[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8701575 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/19
« Reply #23950 on: January 08, 2020, 09:42:00 AM »
Rumor is that Jalen Johnson left IMG because he was hardly playing there and he got homesick basically immediately.

My guess is he still ends up at Duke next year.  But there is some speculation that he is transferring back to Nicolet.  If he got homesick at IMG, does he consider asking out of his NLI to Duke and look closer to home?  Would Marquette be an option?  If he were to want in at Marquette you take him no questions asked, but he is kind of the same type of player that we have 3 commitments from already.

I'll be interested to see where he winds up just for the last semester of high school.  I'd imagine Duke's second semester has already started?  So doubtful he had enough high school credits to graduate early and enroll a semester early at Duke.

No.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #23951 on: January 08, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
Rumor is that Jalen Johnson left IMG because he was hardly playing there and he got homesick basically immediately.

My guess is he still ends up at Duke next year.  But there is some speculation that he is transferring back to Nicolet.  If he got homesick at IMG, does he consider asking out of his NLI to Duke and look closer to home?  Would Marquette be an option?  If he were to want in at Marquette you take him no questions asked, but he is kind of the same type of player that we have 3 commitments from already.

I'll be interested to see where he winds up just for the last semester of high school.  I'd imagine Duke's second semester has already started?  So doubtful he had enough high school credits to graduate early and enroll a semester early at Duke.

Tough for the kid.  We *ALSO* had a senior basketball player transfer to one of those "high schools" that is just a shell for athletics.  Coach totally pulled the wool over his eyes and convinced him he would lots of D1 looks.  Poor guy hardly played.

Now he's back.  Too bad the WIAA wont grant him a waiver.  St. Cats is already #1 in Div 3, but he would absolutely put us over the top.

Edit: added *ALSO* to reduce confusion
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:28:22 AM by SaveOD238 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23952 on: January 08, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
Tough for the kid.  We had a senior basketball player transfer to one of those "high schools" that is just a shell for athletics.  Coach totally pulled the wool over his eyes and convinced him he would lots of D1 looks.  Poor guy hardly played.

Now he's back.  Too bad the WIAA wont grant him a waiver.  St. Cats is already #1 in Div 3, but he would absolutely put us over the top.

Sorry, not sure if I know this or not, but when you say "he would absolutely put us over the top," are you referring to St. Cats?  Is he attending St. Catherine's?

Interesting if he's there.  I believe he was at Sun Prairie (Madison area), then transferred to Nicolet (Milwaukee area), and now he's at St. Catherine's (Racine area) - with a stop in Florida in between?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23953 on: January 08, 2020, 09:56:36 AM »
Corey Evans on Mane

I spoke with Karim Mane following his visit to Marquette over the weekend and he had nothing but good things to say about it. Mane is looking for a place that he can thrive in an up-tempo system, have the ball in his hands early and often, and be given ample freedom on the offensive end; Marquette fits the bill. With the graduation of Markus Howard after this season, the Golden Eagles has a lot to offer.
The plan was originally for Mane to take things into the spring, exhaust most, if not all, of his official visits and then decide on a college. Alabama, DePaul, Maryland, Memphis and Michigan State are also heavily involved. Also, don’t forget that he would be of the required age and a year removed from his high school graduation to enter the NBA Draft in June.
However, Steve Wojciechowski may have Mane rethinking his thought process. Do I believe that he is near a decision? Not really, but I am also more open to the idea that he could be closer to committing than previously assumed. A commitment would be massive for Marquette, but it still does not equate to his enrollment in the fall as the professional path would still be an option.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23954 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23955 on: January 08, 2020, 10:21:37 AM »
Corey Evans on Mane

I spoke with Karim Mane following his visit to Marquette over the weekend and he had nothing but good things to say about it. Mane is looking for a place that he can thrive in an up-tempo system, have the ball in his hands early and often, and be given ample freedom on the offensive end; Marquette fits the bill. With the graduation of Markus Howard after this season, the Golden Eagles has a lot to offer.
The plan was originally for Mane to take things into the spring, exhaust most, if not all, of his official visits and then decide on a college. Alabama, DePaul, Maryland, Memphis and Michigan State are also heavily involved. Also, don’t forget that he would be of the required age and a year removed from his high school graduation to enter the NBA Draft in June.
However, Steve Wojciechowski may have Mane rethinking his thought process. Do I believe that he is near a decision? Not really, but I am also more open to the idea that he could be closer to committing than previously assumed. A commitment would be massive for Marquette, but it still does not equate to his enrollment in the fall as the professional path would still be an option.

Kind of what I expected to hear, though the fact that he may not use the 3 visits he has remaining is encouraging.  I figured he'd have loved his visit and we'd sit as maybe the "favorite" right now, but that he'd take his visits plus look into his NBA chances and commit (not even to Marquette necessarily) very late in the process.

Would love to lock him up.  He's needed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23956 on: January 08, 2020, 10:50:17 AM »
Sorry, not sure if I know this or not, but when you say "he would absolutely put us over the top," are you referring to St. Cats?  Is he attending St. Catherine's?

Interesting if he's there.  I believe he was at Sun Prairie (Madison area), then transferred to Nicolet (Milwaukee area), and now he's at St. Catherine's (Racine area) - with a stop in Florida in between?

I believe OD is talking about someone other than Jalen Johnson.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23957 on: January 08, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
I believe OD is talking about someone other than Jalen Johnson.

Ah yes.  Misread that.  I thought he was referring to Jalen when he said "now he's back."  He was referring to the St. Cat's player who left and then returned.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23958 on: January 08, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
Corey Evans on Mane

so he wants to chuck it. Yep, MU would be a great option if he wants to shoot 20+ times a game.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23959 on: January 08, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »
so he wants to chuck it. Yep, MU would be a great option if he wants to shoot 20+ times a game.

Oh great.  Already complaining about a kid who hasn't even committed here.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #23960 on: January 08, 2020, 11:26:20 AM »

Different kid.  Similar situation to Jalen Johnson.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #23961 on: January 08, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
Corey Evans on Mane

Very, very encouraging.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23962 on: January 08, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
Corey Evans on Mane

Wojo and Company did the best they could.  That's all we can ask.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23963 on: January 08, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »

This is wrong, i have the real story for you PM me

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #23964 on: January 08, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
After watching the debilitating loss to Providence, I started to think of ways to improve the team.  I quickly realized that MU has issues handling the ball outside of Howard.  The question is.... who is going to handle the rock next year?  MU is in dire need of another ball handler.
Symir, Koby, Dexter, Osa, Dawson, Greg, Brendan, and hopefully Karim.  Of course there needs to be improvement by all, but we are talking about a year from now , right?
With Markus gone there's going to be many more opportunities for guys to work on their handle in practice and in games.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #23965 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:43 PM »
With Markus gone there's going to be many more opportunities for guys to work on their handle in practice and in games.

So other players are not allowed to practice dribbling when Markus is on the team?  I'm now all in on questioning the competency of the coaching staff

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #23966 on: January 08, 2020, 06:21:16 PM »
Corey Evans on Mane

Very encouraging.  Sounds like staff did a great job.  There is a GREAT opportunity for Mane to come into MU and fill the void of Markus, showcase himself, and hopefully make everybody around him better.  He's uber athletic and that's exactly what next year's team needs at PG.  I like Symir, but a potential redshirt next year could be great for him if we land Mane.  Sy is young for his class.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23967 on: January 08, 2020, 07:48:26 PM »
Corey Evans on Mane

"Not playing with Markus is a big sell for recruits"

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #23968 on: January 08, 2020, 07:55:10 PM »
Very encouraging.  Sounds like staff did a great job.  There is a GREAT opportunity for Mane to come into MU and fill the void of Markus, showcase himself, and hopefully make everybody around him better.  He's uber athletic and that's exactly what next year's team needs at PG.  I like Symir, but a potential redshirt next year could be great for him if we land Mane.  Sy is young for his class.

I don’t think Mane really plays a true point position though so I think they could coexist just fine. Seems to do most of his scoring from the wing from what I’ve seen. I don’t think Symir came here as a reclass just to sit his second year.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:58:00 PM by AirPunch »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23969 on: January 08, 2020, 08:07:11 PM »
I don’t think Mane really plays a true point position though so I think they could coexist just fine. Seems to do most of his scoring from the wing from what I’ve seen. I don’t think Symir came here as a reclass just to sit his second year.

Correct. Symir/Greg/Koby/Mane at the 1 & 2 (and even 3 for some stretches) would be really fun to watch. All 6'3"+ with ability to put it on the floor. I suspect Symir would see 24+ mpg at the 1 with that personnel

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #23970 on: January 08, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »
So other players are not allowed to practice dribbling when Markus is on the team?  I'm now all in on questioning the competency of the coaching staff
Don't quite know how to take your teal but I'll bite anyway.

It's one thing to work on your handle in practice and team scrimmages,(and yes I'm sure Markus handles the ball the majority of the time in scrimmages too)translating that skill to real game situations is a big jump and takes some time to master. Markus has improved dramatically since his freshman year and he still isn't great.

That's why getting Symir some minutes this year would be huge for next season. Koby is getting his minutes and has faced D1 competition before so hopefully he improves this year and next. Of course the Marquette thumb gremlin isn't helping his cause.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:44:02 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #23971 on: January 08, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23972 on: January 08, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23973 on: January 08, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »
Park Center to Totino kid. Very skilled, love getting in early. HC at T w D1 roots. Very nice
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23974 on: January 08, 2020, 10:45:12 PM »
Jalen Johnson no longer apart of img

feedback