[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dick Strong and Buzz  (Read 21951 times)

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
Re: Dick Strong and Buzz
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »
That Cnn Money article paints a pretty poor picture of Mr. Strong.  I think its great to have such a passionate and competitive (not to mention wealthy) supporter for our basketball program but it seems quite humorous to me that a man with such an obviously poor ethical reputation has such a strong (pardon the pun) connection to a school that preaches Jesuit values and requires several ethics courses.  I guess thats probably why Fr. Wild is the only person to actually acknowledge the relaitionship....

The NYT and CNN were Spitzers lap dogs.  He used the media regularly to make his case before he filed charges.  Wouldn't beleive half of it.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »
I would put some money down that RedWebster = Richard #1 from the Crackedsidewalks comments section.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
Every major college program has benefactors that essentially run the athletic department.  

Over at ND, who do you think fired Ty Willignham and hired Charlie Weis?  Phil Purcell (former Morgan Stanley Chief) and Ed Debartolo (former owner of the 49s).  They told the AD (White) to fire Willignham and they spear-headed the effort to hire Weis.

Further, why do you think Digger Phelps is a favorite to take over as AD at ND?  You think Digger is qualified to fire Weis and hire his replacement?  Of course not!  He is even less qualified than Cottingham.  However, it's not his concern.  Purcell and Debartolo run the football program, not the AD.

This is the way the world works.  Top programs have Dick Strong types running the show.  And, yes, that is why MU is different than DePaul and Loyola.  They don't have a Dick Strong.

Be lucky that MU's benefactor is not a Luther Campbell type.  (Luther was the head of the rap group "Two Live Crew" and essentially ran the "The U" football program in the 1980s, when they gained their reputation as criminals.)

Finally, if you assume, like I do that Strong runs the bball program, I have to assume Strong was ok with Crean leaving for IU.  Otherwise, Strong would not have allowed it (and he can).  Further, Strong had to approve the hiring of Buzz (he interviewed him!).  Since Strong has many millions and a lot of emotion tied into the program, if he's ok with the hire, I am too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:19:56 PM by AnotherMU84 »

jce

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 12:26:20 PM »
Every major college program has benefactors that essentially run the athletic department.  

Over at ND, who do you think fired Ty Willignham and hired Charlie Weis?  Phil Purcell (former Morgan Stanley Chief) and Ed Debartolo (former owner of the 49s).  They told the AD (White) to fire Willignham and they spear-headed the effort to hire Weis.

Further, why do you think Digger Phelps is a favorite to take over as AD at ND?  You think Digger is qualified to fire Weis and hire his replacement?  Of course not!  He is even less qualified than Cottingham.  However, it's not his concern.  Purcell and Debartolo run the football program, not the AD.

This is the way the world works.  Top programs have Dick Strong types running the show.  And, yes, that is why MU is different than DePaul and Loyola.  They don't have a Dick Strong.

Be lucky that MU's benefactor is not a Luther Campbell type.  (Luther was the head of the rap group "Two Live Crew" and essentially ran the "The U" football program in the 1980s, when they gained their reputation as criminals.)

Finally, if you assume, like I do that Strong runs the bball program, I have to assume Strong was ok with Crean leaving for IU.  Otherwise, Strong would not have allowed it (and he can).  Further, Strong had to approve the hiring of Buzz (he interviewed him!).  Since Strong has many millions and a lot of emotion tied into the program, if he's ok with the hire, I am too.

Well said.  Especially if you are not a giant, public University, if you want to be one of the big boys, you have to raise money.  If you raise big money, this is what you have to deal with.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »
I would put some money down that RedWebster = Richard #1 from the Crackedsidewalks comments section.

Yep, just read the comment section over at CS.

No question, that Richard #1 is Red Webster, who I also believe to be Harveys Wallbangers, who is reported to be our old friend PRN.

Although the names change (Have to say that I enjoyed today's "Road House" inspired choice of Red Webster), good to see that the content remains the same ... Insane rants that are filled with hyperbole, conspiracy theories, unfounded statements all while consistently beating to death old topics and issues.

Way to go, Richard#1RedWebsterHarveysWallbangersPuertoRicanNightmare!!!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:30:57 PM by RJax55 »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that DICKSTRONG is probably more qualified to interview and select high level managers (including a "manager" of our BBall program) than anyone in the MU administration.

(Who wants to spearhead the drive to sell yellow "DICKSTRONG" rubber bracelets to raise money for the athletic department?)
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that DICKSTRONG is probably more qualified to interview and select high level managers (including a "manager" of our BBall program) than anyone in the MU administration.

(Who wants to spearhead the drive to sell yellow "DICKSTRONG" rubber bracelets to raise money for the athletic department?)

You may have a point there.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

+1
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »
Yep, just read the comment section over at CS.

No question, that Richard #1 is Red Webster, who I also believe to be Harveys Wallbangers, who is reported to be our old friend PRN.

Although the names change (Have to say that I enjoyed today's "Road House" inspired choice of Red Webster), good to see that the content remains the same ... Insane rants that are filled with hyperbole, conspiracy theories, unfounded statements all while consistently beating to death old topics and issues.

Way to go, Richard#1RedWebsterHarveysWallbangersPuertoRicanNightmare!!!

THANK YOU!

I knew I recognize the name Red Webster from somewhere.

Road House. Classic.

What's next? Using names from Hard to Kill, or Tango and Cash? (movies for guys who like movies)

Also, if that is PRN (which is certainly believable), then hooray to him for finding something else to bitch about. Now that Crean is gone, he has to work a little harder, but I knew he'd come up with something.

Next Topic: DJ's high socks and armband: we know (from PRN) that DJ only wears them to attract attention to himself because he is a selfish young man.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
The NYT and CNN were Spitzers lap dogs.  He used the media regularly to make his case before he filed charges.  Wouldn't beleive half of it.

Fine ignore half of it...but please don't be naive enough to believe that this man was completely innocent.  All I was saying is its a little ironic that this man who seems to have some very flexible ethical lines is one of the most powerful men in our athletic department.  If Marquette wants to remain competitive they need someone like Strong, theres nothing wrong with that and many programs around the country do.  One thing is for sure though, you won't see any Dick Strong case studies in any of Marquette's ethics classes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »

And how is Dick Strong going to prevent someone from leaving...that is absurd.  The coaches are not slaves or serfs or anything of the kind.  Dick Strong cannot prevent ANYONE from leaving if they wish to.   Nor would he.  If someone had another opportunity and wishes to exercise it then they're going to.  Now, if you're going to suggest that if it came down to money and Strong wanted to put up more cash to save a coach, yeah that certainly could happen if Strong was so inclined, but he can't prevent anyone from leaving.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:19:56 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »
Fine ignore half of it...but please don't be naive enough to believe that this man was completely innocent.  All I was saying is its a little ironic that this man who seems to have some very flexible ethical lines is one of the most powerful men in our athletic department.  If Marquette wants to remain competitive they need someone like Strong, theres nothing wrong with that and many programs around the country do.  One thing is for sure though, you won't see any Dick Strong case studies in any of Marquette's ethics classes.

The problem with Spitzer doing his strong armed shake-down strategy has been talked about for years.  Is anyone "completely innocent" on anything?  No.  But what Spitzer did is basically reverse blackmail on many of these corporations and it cost Wisconsin many jobs because of his nonsense. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 03:08:53 PM »

I think suggesting that Dick Strong "runs the show" is a bit strong. Clearly he has a great deal of access and influence. Money gets you those things in just about any enterprise, not just college athletics.

I don't doubt the administration wanted a coach with Strong's blessing, but I doubt he ultimately made the hire or calls the shots. Suffice to say, if Mr. Strong wanted his gardner named head coach and his nephew running the point next year, he wouldn't get his way.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
Chico, just curious, what exactly is reverse blackmail?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 03:25:47 PM »
I don't doubt the administration wanted a coach with Strong's blessing, but I doubt he ultimately made the hire or calls the shots. Suffice to say, if Mr. Strong wanted his gardner named head coach and his nephew running the point next year, he wouldn't get his way.

You don't become Dick Strong by making stupid decisions like that.  Do you think MU would hire a coach that Strong did not want?  More specifically, if Cottingham said "I want Buzz" and Strong said "I do not", would Buzz be the head coach?  Get real.

Hence, Strong runs the program.

And look, their is nothing wrong with this.  This is how EVERY sucessful program works.  Your naive to think that the AD runs the show.  Money runs the show and those that pay for it, run it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »
Suffice to say, if Mr. Strong wanted his gardner named head coach and his nephew running the point next year, he wouldn't get his way.

Unless Johnnie Lacy's his nephew...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
And how is Dick Strong going to prevent someone from leaving...that is absurd. 

He'll buy off IU to find someone else like he did all the other schools that went after Crean earlier in the decade.

Point is, he did not want to buy off IU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
Something tells me Crean's relationship with Strong was strained at the end and this hastened his departure. The losses to GU and Stanford didn't help matters, but Tom probably was tired of being Dick's homeboy and was anxious to bolt.
I also find it odd that nobody wanted to comment on Strong in the article. Its common knowledge that he's quirky and a little strange.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
OT: I find it strange no one wanted to comment on the obvious Dick Strong jokes.  ;D

But that's not the Dick Strong way. Or for that matter, Marquette's. ... Ah yes the Dick Strong way.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »
This thread is so random it's almost possible to comment on.  I guess i'll sum up a bunch of thoughts:

1) Yes, if you have millions that you are willing to give to a university and want to be involved in the decision making process as to how that cash is spent, then they will let you be involved.  This is true if you give them a bunch of cash to build a new dorm, practice facilities or hire a new coach.

2) MU does not controll the media, if a member of the media decides to take a positive spin on something it doesn't mean that mu somehow caused orchastraited that spin in order to create a 'puff peice'.  If they had the level of control some of the early posts were posting there would be more of a focus on us and less on the badgers by our own local paper.

3) I don't care who Dick Strong is as a person, parent, friend, boss, or alliance partner on survivor.  If he's involved in this basketball program and his decisions make it better than good, if they don't then i'll want him to back off and won't be able to do anything about it and will start complaining.

4) Anyone who thinks 'bad press' is throwing the higher ups at MU into a 'panic' is crazy.  So some sports nerd website (rivals) who has never talked to buzz gave us a 'D'?  Do you think this is brought up as a new business item at board meetings?

5) I'm actually more comfortable with the idea of strong doing our interviews, cottingham hasn't done anything to make me trust his personal evaluations more than anyone who built a billion dollar business.

6) Welcome back PRN.  Do us a favor and stick around during winning streaks this year.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »
He'll buy off IU to find someone else like he did all the other schools that went after Crean earlier in the decade.

Are you suggesting Strong made contributions to other schools to leave Crean alone?  So that is why Crean's name was often in the press when other jobs opened -- it was not b/c Crean was pushing it like some here have claimed -- but rather the ingenius development officers at those schools using him for fund raising.  

Bad luck for Indiana.  They obviously tried to do the same thing only to learn that the Strong well had run dry, and IU is now "stuck" w/ Crean as its head coach.  And instead of Strong's huge contribution, Indiana has to continue to subsist on tax dollars and my far more meager contributions.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »
This thread is so random it's almost possible to comment on.  I guess i'll sum up a bunch of thoughts:

1) Yes, if you have millions that you are willing to give to a university and want to be involved in the decision making process as to how that cash is spent, then they will let you be involved.  This is true if you give them a bunch of cash to build a new dorm, practice facilities or hire a new coach.

2) MU does not controll the media, if a member of the media decides to take a positive spin on something it doesn't mean that mu somehow caused orchastraited that spin in order to create a 'puff peice'.  If they had the level of control some of the early posts were posting there would be more of a focus on us and less on the badgers by our own local paper.

3) I don't care who Dick Strong is as a person, parent, friend, boss, or alliance partner on survivor.  If he's involved in this basketball program and his decisions make it better than good, if they don't then i'll want him to back off and won't be able to do anything about it and will start complaining.

4) Anyone who thinks 'bad press' is throwing the higher ups at MU into a 'panic' is crazy.  So some sports nerd website (rivals) who has never talked to buzz gave us a 'D'?  Do you think this is brought up as a new business item at board meetings?

5) I'm actually more comfortable with the idea of strong doing our interviews, cottingham hasn't done anything to make me trust his personal evaluations more than anyone who built a billion dollar business.

6) Welcome back PRN.  Do us a favor and stick around during winning streaks this year.

Great post, and great point.

The websites are read by "hardcore fans", but let's face it, that's only about 5% of the total fanbase (or less).

MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »
As far as big benefactors go just look at Phil Knight and his involvement with Oregon athletics.  Their AD has no AD experience, doesn't even have a college degree, and just happens to be a good friend of Knight.  Money talks.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »
1. Dick Strong demands anonymity so no one at Marquette would speak, except Fr. Wild.

2. Dick Strong does not interfere in any way, shape or form with Marquette's coaches or the administration. One member of the Administration they are surprised how little he exerts himself. He stays out of the way and asks for nothing. The priveleges he has been granted are because they were offered to him by MU, not because Strong asked, much less demanded.

3.  Dick Strong was not advised about TC's actions until after he had signed the IU contract (termed letter of understanding) per my sources. That was probably intentional because Strong may well have assisted MU in besting the IU offer.

4. Strong is a quirky guy but he and his wife a very well liked people by their friends and contemporaries.

5. Strong along with a few other wealthy alums were involved in the hiring process. Some, like Strong offered their assistance while others tried to force a different result. Strong was consulted and assisted in a few areas.

6. If you thought Strong was "guilty" of anything in the Spitzer investigation (remember the feds and SEC took a pass on investigating Strong), I offer this: Spitzer was a prosecutor who allowed a very wealthy man to buy his way out of a prosecution--contrary to the rules of ethics for prosecutors. Spitzer either brings a case or he doesn't. Instead, he blackmails this wealthy guy, taking nothing from him or his heirs--only his charitable giving--perhaps taking money which may have been earmarked for Marquette or other Milwaukee-area charities. Dick Strong will still pass the same money down to the next generation and won't go cheap on any vacations as a result. Spitzer was building his case for a run for governor on the backs of Strong and others. So we now know who the whore was. Dick Strong MAY have stradled an ethical line, but in the wake of the Spitzer self-destruction, how can anyone say anything negative about Strong with any certainty?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »

Perhaps.  However in this case he might not have wanted to get into a bidding war with Mark Cuban.