[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton Barreling  (Read 11879 times)

tower912

• All American
Creighton Barreling
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
1.  Creighton did not attack the rim as much as Butler did.   Missed Watson.  Feel bad for the kid.  Seems like a class act.   Foul trouble to Patton.
2.  Continuing to score on offense offsets defensive breakdowns.    Was it Brew who said that shooting would win some games?
3.  Patton needs to go pro.   I don't want to have to play  him next year. 
4.   Luke was awfully good today.    Accepted the challenge of the freshman phenom.   Best conference game of the year for the big Fisch.
5.  KR turned the momentum in the first half with his 10-0 run.    Somebody different every game. 
6.   Lots of double digit scorers today.    Love the balance.   
7.  Hanging 100+ on a top 10 team on the road.   Gonna have to dig deep in the record books to find a precedent. 
8.  They finished.   They kept attacking.   They played enough defense.  They took advantage of Watson's absence.   
9.  Still tried to be dumb at the end.    Jesus H. 
10.   One less MU has to win at the end.    Revel in it.     Mmmmmmmmmm.   Hot Damn
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Creighton Barreling
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
8. "enough defense" meaning giving up 1.38 ~ppp in the second half. Absolutely brutal.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
8. "enough defense" meaning giving up 1.38 ~ppp in the second half. Absolutely brutal.

Agreed.   But MU kept hitting.   It still has to get better, but today MU was able to shoot their way to victory. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
One thing we still need to handle pressure better in bounding and bringing the ball up court. That said it's a great win for us.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »
HELL YEAH!

That is all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »
Not so sure about #8.  They did not score a field goal in the last 6 minutes and defense was soft. Great game but they have to learn how to lock down and bring intensity at the end.

That said great game. Great win. Onward.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 03:45:33 PM »
MU gave up 54 points in second half, no field goal in last six minutes and still wins on the road.

Some knucklehead turnovers by Cheatham and JJJ, especially Cheatham who will get an earful from Wojo behind the doors.  A very loud earful. 

Fischer with 18, 8 bounds, 6 blocks, 3 assists, and had Patton in foul trouble.  If he plays with that intensity/emotion, MU will be tough and probably would have won at Butler.

Marcus Foster is a stud......

Very nice that kids held a lead, even though last seven minutes were not good.  Huge for their mental state next time.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 03:45:53 PM »
Huuuuuuuge.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Huuuuuuuge.

Aw cmon, dont ruin this win for me.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 03:48:30 PM »
Horrible closing again. Fantastic win.

Glad I bet big on Creighton today. It was an auto win once I did that.

Anyone wanna loan me money for Tuesday?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »
In the first couple minutes you could tell someone had lit a fire under Luke's butt. Definitely showed that aggressiveness he had been lacking and it made a big difference. Some nice blocks too!

It will be interesting to see how Creighton does going forward. When the regular season is over they will still be ranked but not the juggernaut they have been. Quality win regardless.

I feel like dancing but gotta stay hungry and keep it going.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
My unscientific gut feeling-- the difference was in the firsthalf, we kept Luke near the basket, the second half he got pulled out to the perimeter.  Anyone remember MacIlvaine going out to the 3P line to switch on to a point guard?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
Revere is the "we never win on national tv" guy????

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »
The last 5-6 minutes started to look familiar, but the offense was just so good today that Creighton never could catch up. This was a huge win that shows these guys they're capable of playing well for 2 full halves (0ive or take). And finding guys, namely Katin, to step up when Markus has to sit is big too. All around, lots of great things happened today.

Defense is still an issue, and keeping focus with the lead needs to be emphasized. But all in all, really great game and a real team effort. This was a fun one to watch!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
Horrible closing again. Fantastic win.

Glad I bet big on Creighton today. It was an auto win once I did that.

Anyone wanna loan me money for Tuesday?

Come out to Nevada and bet as much as you want.  I like not paying state income taxes!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez  9m9 minutes ago

"Well, Marquette was great today," Greg McDermott says to start his postgame press conference.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
I love soft finesse basketball!  At least for today.  And as bad as I feel for the kid, I'm glad Watson didn't play.  Creighton may have put up 110 with him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
Homer tdbits ...

First top 10 win since .... Providence last year which was also on the road

Also Creighton had won 108 consecutive home games when they scored 80 or more.  That streak is over.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez  9m9 minutes ago

"Well, Marquette was great today," Greg McDermott says to start his postgame press conference.

Finally the first person who says this.  Not even Marquette fans can allow themselves to say this.
Hang a Hundo on a Top 10 team on the road and people still bitch.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
Finally the first person who says this.  Not even Marquette fans can allow themselves to say this.
Hang a Hundo on a Top 10 team on the road and people still bitch.

This is a message board ... if Kris Jenkins hit a 35 footer at the buzzer to win the National Championship for MU this board will still be full of bitching and moaning.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »
We gave up our highest point total of the season on defense today and WON. On the road. Creighton scored more than Butler, Wisconsin, Villanova, or Seton Hall (in overtime) managed to put up on us and we ran out winners.

There were quite a few people who talked about games that we would win that we probably should have lost because of our offense. Today was one of those. No matter how frustrated you might be with the defense, having an offense capable of putting up 102 on the road against a top-10 team is just insane. Two years ago we couldn't crack 90 on any court against any opponent.

That was a blast to watch. I feel bad for those that were nervous and lost fingernails today. Really enjoy watching this team put up points.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »
We gave up our highest point total of the season on defense today and WON. On the road. Creighton scored more than Butler, Wisconsin, Villanova, or Seton Hall (in overtime) managed to put up on us and we ran out winners.

There were quite a few people who talked about games that we would win that we probably should have lost because of our offense. Today was one of those. No matter how frustrated you might be with the defense, having an offense capable of putting up 102 on the road against a top-10 team is just insane. Two years ago we couldn't crack 90 on any court against any opponent.

That was a blast to watch. I feel bad for those that were nervous and lost fingernails today. Really enjoy watching this team put up points.

Truth. It's amazing to think how good this team would be IF they could play 40 mins of D. Unfortunately we're lucky to get 20 good mins. At times today in 1H, D was very good.

All that said - this win was monumental. Any doubt of us getting in at 10-8 is bow erased with that kind of road win.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:18:13 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
Two years ago D Wilson was our #2 scoring option.  Today he is, what, #8?  And to be clear, I think Duane is playing very well, not a shot at him, just a comparison of the incredible remaking of the offense in two years.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
I highly doubt we'll see a radical shift in defensive improvement this year. We just don't have the length on this roster. But man...with the way we can score, if we even had a top-50 defense we'd be a legitimate Final Four contender.

Also, really glad to see this one not get away. Had we just held the double-digit leads we had against Pitt, Seton Hall, and Butler, we'd be a top-15 team. It's starting to come together. Love teams that peak late, I feel like we're just starting to see what this team can become.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »
Fun game with two elite offenses and two crappy defenses.  Huge win on the road jumps MU to 33 in Pomeroy.