[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What is the State of Marquette basketball after the loss to DePaul

We're fine -- just having some growing pains.
45 (23.9%)
Scoopers are despondent. It's better than it looks right now.
53 (28.2%)
I'm losing my patience fast -- and baseball season can't come soon enough.....
54 (28.7%)
Wojo better get with it or... else
24 (12.8%)
Back up the truck and start over -- our administration doesn't have a clue
12 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: The State of Our Program After Depaul  (Read 11577 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The State of Our Program After Depaul
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »
But those guys all were far better than anything we have now. Chones might have been a one and done today. All were incredible and while they started, not sure they starred as freshmen.

Not playing as a freshman did a lot of guys good.  I have little doubt the same was true for MU.

Meminger had a very good Sophomore year, we'll never know how good he would have been as a freshman.  He certainly got better statistically each year he was at MU.  Chones, likely a one and done either way.  Thompson, also very good his sophomore year.    More the exceptions than the rule in college basketball.

Bo started as a freshman.  Statistically I'd rate him as a solid solid freshman, but not a star.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2016, 11:20:31 PM »
Wrong. Al filled holes with transfers and Jucos often. On the national championship team the starting center was a Juco and the starting point guard a transfer. And most of his stars from high school were stars from their first day of eligibility at MU.

And Wojo has gone after jucos and successfully landed transfers. Notice you said filled holes. Al built his teams with freshmen and developed them.

I dont think everyone of Als stars were stars from Day 1. He also had the advantage of basically a forced redshirt in the early years. Didnt have to play freshmen.

You are also remembering the end of Als career, after he had built a powerhouse. How did he build that powerhouse? Those kids he recruited in 1964 were hardly stars from day 1, but they grew up and were NIT runner ups in 67 and made the sweet 16 in 68.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2016, 07:37:18 AM »
And Wojo has gone after jucos and successfully landed transfers. Notice you said filled holes. Al built his teams with freshmen and developed them.

I dont think everyone of Als stars were stars from Day 1. He also had the advantage of basically a forced redshirt in the early years. Didnt have to play freshmen.

You are also remembering the end of Als career, after he had built a powerhouse. How did he build that powerhouse? Those kids he recruited in 1964 were hardly stars from day 1, but they grew up and were NIT runner ups in 67 and made the sweet 16 in 68.

So very correct, before McGuire there was a team but no program, we were independents looking for acceptance.   After McGuire the program gradually disintegrated into a midmajor world of also-rans.

There is more to a successful program than even a coach.  It takes fans, facilities, a league, ballers in the NBA, paraphernalia, and history.   Not to mention the most important ingredient, good unselfish players.  I am getting to realy love these kids, does that fit into the equation?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »

Bo started as a freshman.  Statistically I'd rate him as a solid solid freshman, but not a star.

Bo started every game as a freshman on a team that went to the final four and lost the championship game. Second leading scorer and rebounder on the team (12.1 and 8.5 - only 3 points and 2 rebounds shy of Maurice Lucas). Shot 53.5% (best on the team by far) from the field, 72.1% from the line. And he was our best defensive player.

Solid? LOL. He was a star.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
Bo started every game as a freshman on a team that went to the final four and lost the championship game. Second leading scorer and rebounder on the team (12.1 and 8.5 - only 3 points and 2 rebounds shy of Maurice Lucas). Shot 53.5% (best on the team by far) from the field, 72.1% from the line. And he was our best defensive player.

Solid? LOL. He was a star.
Absolutely!! There were several stars on that great team. Oh what we had under Al!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2016, 11:21:24 AM »

Meminger had a very good Sophomore year, we'll never know how good he would have been as a freshman.  He certainly got better statistically each year he was at MU.  Chones, likely a one and done either way.  Thompson, also very good his sophomore year.    More the exceptions than the rule in college basketball.

1. Chones wasn't a one and done. He was an instant star but didn't leave until almost the end of his junior year.
2. Of course we'll never KNOW how good Meminger would have been as a freshman, but I saw him put up 44 against the best freshman team ever at Notre Dame (Austin Carr, Sid Catlett and Collis Jones, among others) and he dominated the guards who led us to the NIT finals in practice so I think we can venture an informed opinion. Similar stuff with George.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »
The State of Our Program After DePaul......  It's still in Wisconsin, right?

Silly. Everyone knows Marquette is in Michigan. Why, just last week I had a guy from northern Wisconsin tell me that he's positive that I'm wrong about my alma mater being in Milwaukee.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
Silly. Everyone knows Marquette is in Michigan. Why, just last week I had a guy from northern Wisconsin tell me that he's positive that I'm wrong about my alma mater being in Milwaukee.

LOL!  30 minutes I was speaking to someone at work and this person said "You went to Marquette --- in Michigan?"