[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: for those who think crean is a bad recruiter  (Read 14570 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: for those who think crean is a bad recruiter
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2007, 11:15:52 AM »
I'm not quite sure what's going on with this thread anymore.  All I know is that it won't die.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2007, 01:29:16 PM »
OK, Murff, I get it now. We're not supposed to listen to what Al said was his reason for retiring--the reason he gave me in a one-to-one interview and he one he gave to thousands of journalists over the years. You know better. Oh, by the way, you still haven't backed up your claim that Iman said he didn't come to MU because of the lack of a big man. Show me that quote, please.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »
I'm not quite sure what's going on with this thread anymore.  All I know is that it won't die.

hahaha... nicely put.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »
Ecompt----I was Al's broker for 12 years---talked to him several times a week----sometimes at length-----he never ever mentioned anything to me about not likeing the trend in recruiting----never. What he did say (and this was several months before he won the NCAA) that he was "tired of coaching kids in short pants"----that everyone should have several careers (things like that). But the main reason for leaving MU was he was offered vice-chairmanship of Medalist Industries, which was a huge sporting goods manufacturer at the time (and did BB game braodcasts on NBC/CBS) where combined he was making a lot more money than coaching-----a lot more.

The main reason he left coaching was MONEY----he said a lot of things to the media for public consumption. Al didn't like recruiting or practice (loved the showmanship opportunity of the games though)-----actually he always was a lazy recruiter-----Hank did most of the leg work and he exposed his players a great deal to recruits, but he was the CLOSER-----he ALWAYS said the right thing to them-----he could sense what they wanted to hear----what buttons they wanted pushed!

That worked back then and it would work today----because pushing the right button today works just as well as it did back then!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
Ecompt----I was Al's broker for 12 years---talked to him several times a week----sometimes at length-----he never ever mentioned anything to me about not likeing the trend in recruiting----never. What he did say (and this was several months before he won the NCAA) that he was "tired of coaching kids in short pants"----that everyone should have several careers (things like that). But the main reason for leaving MU was he was offered vice-chairmanship of Medalist Industries, which was a huge sporting goods manufacturer at the time (and did BB game braodcasts on NBC/CBS) where combined he was making a lot more money than coaching-----a lot more.

The main reason he left coaching was MONEY----he said a lot of things to the media for public consumption. Al didn't like recruiting or practice (loved the showmanship opportunity of the games though)-----actually he always was a lazy recruiter-----Hank did most of the leg work and he exposed his players a great deal to recruits, but he was the CLOSER-----he ALWAYS said the right thing to them-----he could sense what they wanted to hear----what buttons they wanted pushed!

That worked back then and it would work today----because pushing the right button today works just as well as it did back then!

Murf, do you think there is a coach in the NCAA today that "operates like Al" as you seem to keep saying Crean should do? Seriously, is it?

Obviously, I know Al was a fantastic coach, but the landscape of college hoops has changed greatly, and while some of Al's techniques are timeless, some others probably wouldn't work well in today's game.

Everybody loves the story of Al and Toone getting in a fight. Do you think Crean should punch DJ at halftime to try and motivate him?

You can't just act like everything Al did would work today.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2007, 02:50:31 PM »
In the book, "I remember Al McGuire..." it is clearly stated that Al did not like what was becoming of the recruiting atmosphere. It talks of kids were recruited too young, schools giving 'gifts', and a general sleazy attribute.

Also states that Al hated to recruit, and having to sell himself to a 17 year old kid is not what he wants to do.

So there ya go, in printed words, Al saying recruiting was changing, and he didn't like it anymore. Not saying that's why he left, but an attribute to it.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2007, 02:56:57 PM »
The chief attribute of a recruiter is salesmanship-----and the chief attribute of a salesman is knowing what to say-----to push the right buttons. Al could do that----how in the world do you guys think he built the program from the 4 & 25 team he inherited-----by saying the wrong thing to recruits?

Today recruiting is STILL all about salesmanship-----and the MU program has a great deal more going for it today to sell------than in Al's day!

BTW Marqptm-----as i mention above, Al would embellish to the media to build a story -----he would never tell the media the real reason he left coaching-----which was MONEY. Also as I mention above Al NEVER liked recruiting (but there is something about every job that someone doesn't like----but that doesn't mean you quit because of it, that is unless it's unbearable)!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:32:11 PM by Murffieus »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »
Oh I agree with you Murff. I was just saying, it was stated that he thought recruiting was changing.

feedback