[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This team needs to figure a bunch of stuff out  (Read 10455 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Re: This team needs to figure a bunch of stuff out
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 06:25:18 AM »
I know it's not all Wilson's fault, and I'm sure he's a great kid, but I think he IS, by far, the biggest issue.  When your point guard can stand at the three point line with the closest defender three steps off of him and not even look like he is going to attack, it changes the entire potential of an offense.  Especially on a team where your bigs are your best players and you need guys drawn to the perimeter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »
Derrick was the best player MU had on the floor in the first half.   Deonte was the best in the second half.   Not our seniors.   And therein lies the problem.   Otule was passive, Davante was ill, and Jamil was a space case.   There is no alpha dog.   Jamil tried a little in the first half but you can't be the alpha dog when you are still, as a 5th year senior, committing stupid fouls that require you go sit on the bench for the last 6 minutes of the first half.  We should start calling him Nuke Laloosh. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 06:36:08 AM »
Completely sucks, if Marquette could make a "trade", it would be for a guy just like Blue. 100% sucks.
SDSU was a far more athletic team that played at a higher intensity which we didn't match. Thomas was covered pretty well and couldn't get a shot off in the second half.  Can't miss as many layups and free throws as we did and win games.
No no no no no. MU played with intensity. What in the world are you watching! Intensity was not the problem. Nor where they more athletic. They just were more hungry, fearless, and less scared.

And they managed to keep that length out of foul trouble. The call on Jake on the 3, the guy with 5 fouls screened Jake into the shooter. That was not a foul on Jake.

Then there was another missed called on the sideline. Both of those were 4-8 pts swings. But the wrong people were on the court the last 5 minutes of the game and he tighten his rotation and stopped giving them different looks.

And we got nothing from Jamil at all. Juan and JuJuan could have played when D. Burton got hot to stretch the floor and they could have done the offense vs defense switch better.

This had nothing do with lack of intensity, athleticism or a lack of talent.

I want more from Jamil, Todd, and Juan on offense when it counts in a hostile environment moving to the rim. The other team is not scared to shoot or to miss...you can shoot and  miss with a purpose to set up makes down low on future possessions. We did not see the "gotta have it" in the last 5 minutes. We saw the I don't want to  screw this up.

When you get to the title game, leave it all on the floor out there. Let it fly! Don't come back with rounds left in the chamber.
And have the right people on the floor. Not managers but finishers. Closers. If you know who those are or if they know who they are.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »
As mentioned in the other thread, Derrick lost efficiency when he got injured. A bit harsh to blame a kid for an injury. If anything, it shows how clearly not ready Dawson is since he couldn't get time even when Derrick was playing at half-strength.
He does not have any efficiency in close games when the other team used 5 players to guard our 4.

He is a liability on offense if he cannot hit some shots. That is where you need a Playmaker. He is a game manager PG. You need someone who is not afraid to make a play.

A broken play. a set play, a hustle play, or a big play threat. Those guys are rare. Burton maybe one of them...so might JuJuan.

Someone mentioned and. Vander Blue is gone, but he is EXACTLY the kind of fearless player that MU needed tonight.

Neither Derrick or Jake should have been in the game...at that point. And Jamil needs to be more aggressive.

I would have had Juan in. Juan can defend and Juan can get the inbounds pass in. And I would have had Mayo in as well.

I did not like the lineup out there. Some guys can get you close but not over the top.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:44:25 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »
When will Buzz install an offense?
He has an offense they just pass up open shots all game long and are afraid to shoot a jumper!

They swing the ball well and then there is an open shot in the corner and they swing the ball back around.

I can see if they are dumping it down, but to dump it down you have to at least hit some shots from 3 or dribble and do a pull up in the lane mid-range.

That is what you need. That would open everything up. The Paint touches too would help but no one wants to shoot. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 07:00:37 AM »
Unfortunately we will be forced to watch a team struggle with a PG who cannot create his own shot or make a contested layup.   .500 conference team.
Charitable with a .500 conference record, the way they are playing now. Pretty disastrous with a 6 year senior, two 5th year seniors, and two Jrs. in the starting line up. This is by far Buzz's most overrated and underperforming team. And please all, spare the comments, "They need to learn how to play", "It's early in the season", "In Buzz we trust", etc.
As said previously, they should be playing the frosh. Jake Thomas, Juan Anderson are role players. Derek Wilson has heart, but cannot shoot, and is not-repeat-- is not a lock down defender. Mayo is 1. Shoot first, and 1A. Play out of control. Jamil Wilson is very inconsistent.
With the talent on this team, the play has been average at best. This will be a long season when the team plays on the road.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 07:03:10 AM »
What is happening is that Derrick is not being guarded so that makes MU play 4 on 5 most of the time, add O'Tule or Juan and you have  only 2 kids who can make shots.  It is to bad that Jamil Wilson doe not have the shooting confidence that Deonte has. He showed he is a potential big time player.  Loved seeing him hit a jump shot.  A good quick team takes Jake out of the game.  It
is obvious that JJJ needs more seasoning.  So saying all this Duane would have a great opportunity to change the O.  Thames and Carson both took it to MU, point guards that can score.  That is
all MU needs, to bad Devante had the flu.  These are all good games for MU to play early.  Get used to it, until Duane comes back they all will be tight, and I am not sure how Duane will fit in with
all this time off, much like Aaron Rodgers.
Hmmm...comparing Duane to Aaron Rodgers? I like it, but what pressure.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 07:05:38 AM »
Give me a break. We are better than the team that just beat us. That is garbage . So far we have yet to beat a team in the top 50. Not sure what you are watching.
We have not beat a team in the top 50, mainly because we are not a top 50 team. Maybe top 100 on a good day.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 07:08:19 AM »
Buzz needs to figure a lot out still too.  Was surprised he took Deonte out for a bit after he was the only one doing anything on offense.  After that performance and stretch alone he deserves a lot more time at the 2/3.  He can abuse other guards and even some bigs inside with his size and strength. 
Amen. That was a huge bone headed move by Buzz. Burton was the hottest guy on the floor. He probably walked back to the bench muttering "WTF", followed by "In Buzz we trust"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 07:10:12 AM »
No no no no no. MU played with intensity. What in the world are you watching! Intensity was not the problem. Nor where they more athletic. They just were more hungry, fearless, and less scared.

And they managed to keep that length out of foul trouble. The call on Jake on the 3, the guy with 5 fouls screened Jake into the shooter. That was not a foul on Jake.

Then there was another missed called on the sideline. Both of those were 4-8 pts swings. But the wrong people were on the court the last 5 minutes of the game and he tighten his rotation and stopped giving them different looks.

And we got nothing from Jamil at all. Juan and JuJuan could have played when D. Burton got hot to stretch the floor and they could have done the offense vs defense switch better.

This had nothing do with lack of intensity, athleticism or a lack of talent.

I want more from Jamil, Todd, and Juan on offense when it counts in a hostile environment moving to the rim. The other team is not scared to shoot or to miss...you can shoot and  miss with a purpose to set up makes down low on future possessions. We did not see the "gotta have it" in the last 5 minutes. We saw the I don't want to  screw this up.

When you get to the title game, leave it all on the floor out there. Let it fly! Don't come back with rounds left in the chamber.
And have the right people on the floor. Not managers but finishers. Closers. If you know who those are or if they know who they are.
All of the above and Buzz was out coached.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »
Our offensive woes are simple.  It is not about leadership, it is not about fortitude.  It is about being able to make a jump shot to spread the defense.  At this point the double down and sometimes triple down on Gardner happens quickly and aggressively because other than Thomas, the defense doesn't worry about him kicking the ball out to a jump shooter.  There are actually more driving lanes when Gardner is on the bench because teams are less concerned about the drive and dish with Otule because he can't catch the pass from odd angles from a penetrator.  So once SDSU backed off of DeWilson we had all kinds of trouble because no driving lanes, no jump shooters and the double-down on Gardner was very quick.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
Derrick was the best player MU had on the floor in the first half.   Deonte was the best in the second half.   Not our seniors.   And therein lies the problem.   Otule was passive, Davante was ill, and Jamil was a space case.   There is no alpha dog.   Jamil tried a little in the first half but you can't be the alpha dog when you are still, as a 5th year senior, committing stupid fouls that require you go sit on the bench for the last 6 minutes of the first half.  We should start calling him Nuke Laloosh. 

Agree with all of this.  Jamil's play has been very frustrating, and the foul trouble every game has to be fixed.  Otule also needs to not be afraid to hit someone with a 260 lb freight train even if he gets called for it sometimes - a 6'10" center shouldn't be getting half his shots blocked. 

Derrick had a terrific first half.  I can live with some of the turnovers as the price for him being more assertive and trying to make plays.  The second half was pretty bad...really need him taking a few hundred shots a day so he can at least keep them honest with a 15 footer if he can't hit from long range.  His shot is by no means ugly.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
Charitable with a .500 conference record, the way they are playing now. Pretty disastrous with a 6 year senior, two 5th year seniors, and two Jrs. in the starting line up. This is by far Buzz's most overrated and underperforming team. And please all, spare the comments, "They need to learn how to play", "It's early in the season", "In Buzz we trust", etc.

I'll spare you all the "In Buzz we trust" crap even though IMO his 5 years of success has earned it if you put your money where your incredibly big and obnoxious mouth is. I say over .500 in the conference for any number you can handle. I'll even give you 7-5 odds if you make it worth my while. Time to put up or shut up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »
Derrick Wilson didn't have a good second half, but he was the best player on the floor in the first half.  There simply is NOT a better point guard on the roster right now.  I have no idea what else he can do.  And really, how are we playing "four on five" when HE WAS THE SECOND LEADING SCORER!!!???!!  He tried to do too much out there at times, and that's what got him in trouble, but how many times have I read on this board that he is too passive...a game manager, blah, blah, blah.

Again...he's not great...he's not Junior Cadougan...but right now he is the best option.

And as for people taking shots, when JJJ comes in and takes an NBA range 3 pt shot early in the shot clock, Buzz is going to sit him for awhile.  That was a ridiculous shot.  That's why freshmen are freshmen.

Deonte was great, but I will tell you this, it's not going to take good teams very long to see that the guy only uses his left hand.  We are going to see a lot of ups and downs from him this year.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »
I'll repeat myself again...this team remains a work in progress. Anyone expecting anything near a finished product after 3 weeks is delusional. With another 3 weeks or so until the BE season starts, I remain optimistic. Those with the last name Wilson will be the keys to this season though.

Derrik Wilson, everyones favorite whipping boy, has been a bit up and down, but is showing he can play. Anyone reading this would have gladly signed up for 5.5 pts, 4+ Rebs, and 4+ assists per game from Derrick before the season started. He can guard guys and he doesn't really turn it over. Outside shooting is an issue, but the kid can play PG.

Jamil Wilson appears to be the other favorite target. He too has been very up and down, but it appears to me he is struggling playing a little different role this year. Sure looks to me like he is being asked to be much more of a Vander Blue/DJO type than Jimmy Butler/Jae Crowder as maybe he has in the past, and most would have expected. He doesn't spend nearly as much time with his back to the basket, and has become much more of a perimeter player on both ends. The transition will take time, but in the end, I expect the results will be very positive.

Duane Wilson, if he can come back, and contribute off the bench could be a huge factor the second half of the year. Hopefully he can add some much needed depth and perimeter shooting. If he does, it could make a huge difference for this team.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 08:43:58 AM »
Same thread, different season.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
I'll spare you all the "In Buzz we trust" crap even though IMO his 5 years of success has earned it if you put your money where your incredibly big and obnoxious mouth is. I say over .500 in the conference for any number you can handle. I'll even give you 7-5 odds if you make it worth my while. Time to put up or shut up.
yeah sure Lenny, keep slurping the Kool Aid. And speaking of loud and obnoxious, you own it. If I were a betting man, I would bet that you cannot handle facts, which is why you jump to name calling. Please for Lenny's sake, drink Kool Aid with him, but whatever you do, do not comment on our below average performance. As I said ,this is Buzz's most overrated and underperforming team, but you are right--give him a pass because of past performance.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
yeah sure Lenny, keep slurping the Kool Aid. And speaking of loud and obnoxious, you own it. If I were a betting man, I would bet that you cannot handle facts, which is why you jump to name calling. Please for Lenny's sake, drink Kool Aid with him, but whatever you do, do not comment on our below average performance. As I said ,this is Buzz's most overrated and underperforming team, but you are right--give him a pass because of past performance.

So, sounds like you aren't taking him up on his offer then, huh?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2013, 08:53:13 AM »
It has definitely been a disappointing start....would be quite surprised if we are not 5-4 after going to Madison.  Picked to win the Big East, preseason ranked (this is why I hate preseason rankings), Final Four team by some.

Fortunately, its only December 2nd, but it would be nice to get a scalp or two outside of conference that means something.  Only 1 or 2 opportunities left. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »

If you think predicting a sub .500 conference record is "handling facts" and disagreeing with that assessment is "slurping kool aid", I'm offering you some easy money. Not surprised, though, that you would decline. Guys who scream the loudest invariably are afraid to back up their rhetoric.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
If you think predicting a sub .500 conference record is "handling facts" and disagreeing with that assessment is "slurping kool aid", I'm offering you some easy money. Not surprised, though, that you would decline. Guys who scream the loudest invariably are afraid to back up their rhetoric.

+1

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »
If we beat Bucky I will be completely over the rest of our losses.