[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diamond Stone  (Read 21178 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
Doing ok, actually.  I'm down 15 from about 2 years ago.  Lots of exercise and stress will do that.   ;)

Beer helps one keep a trim figure too, I am told.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
Doc, you are dead wrong. The world's expert on everything, Mr Sultan, has a very different opinion of Steve Alford. Let's face it - Sultan knows better than one of the nation's most storied basketball programs which entrusted its future to Mr Alford. Sultan knows better than UCLA. Hell, Sultan knows better than everyone.

Two things, Keefe, you should be well aware that history is full of bad or incompetent individuals that through the gift of tongue are able to convince people to follow them or let them run things. 

Popular opinion does not make one a good person/competent. 

As for Alford, actions speak louder than words.  He may be able to convince many that he is a good christian family man that you want in charge of your program/kid.  His actions however fairly well indicate that one should steer clear of him. 

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
He was not well liked in Ames, I am told, because he projected that family image and the reality was quite different.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 03:28:43 PM »
Doing ok, actually.  I'm down 15 from about 2 years ago.  Lots of exercise and stress will do that.   ;)

Read "Grain Brain."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »
He was not well liked in Ames, I am told, because he projected that family image and the reality was quite different.

He probably wasn't well liked in Ames, because he coached the HAWKEYES.   ;D

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
I just realized this thread was about Diamond Stone.  Who knew? 

I would love to see Stone stay home to play with Ahmed and Duane.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
He probably wasn't well liked in Ames, because he coached the HAWKEYES.   ;D

LOL....I was going to say the same thing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »

Read "Grain Brain."

I'm skeptical.  Every few years a new idea like this comes about.  My doctor now telling me don't take fish oil after for years everyone was throwing that stuff down.  Low fat, low carbs,  now more fat, etc.

A lot of stuff out there with a bunch of differing expert opinions.  I don't know who to trust anymore.

http://www.examiner.com/article/grain-brain-controversy-should-we-eat-grains-is-this-science-or-rhetoric

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:41:52 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
I'm skeptical.  Every few years a new idea like this comes about.  My doctor now telling me don't take fish oil after for years everyone was throwing that stuff down.  Low fat, low carbs,  now more fat, etc.

A lot of stuff out there with a bunch of differing expert opinions.  I don't know who to trust anymore.

yea. agreed. how about this for a lifestyle... everything in moderation. don't smoke. exercise a few times a week. eat small(er) portions. 99% of the time, that will be plenty healthy living

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
Screw your croaker. Listen to me. I've got your best interests at the forefront.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »
Screw your croaker. Listen to me. I've got your best interests at the forefront.

I have no doubt you do.  I sincerely mean that.   I'm just skeptical of things that come out so often and are so contradictory to one another where I believe many of those folks had nothing but the best intentions also. 

I honestly don't know what to believe anymore, so much confusion, so many different expert opinions. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
Simple answer, take the time and investigate for yourself.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »
Two things, Keefe, you should be well aware that history is full of bad or incompetent individuals that through the gift of tongue are able to convince people to follow them or let them run things. 

Popular opinion does not make one a good person/competent. 

As for Alford, actions speak louder than words.  He may be able to convince many that he is a good christian family man that you want in charge of your program/kid.  His actions however fairly well indicate that one should steer clear of him. 

I have no idea as to Alford's personality or personal belief system. Nor do I have any notion of his popularity. And the fact is that no one here does either. But that is not the point.

What is empirically evident is that Steve Alford was an All-American basketball player who has reached the pinnacle of the college basketball coaching profession.

I am amazed that people of slender (if any) accomplishment belittle those who have achieved genuine professional success. I would submit that the fact that he has been hired by UCLA is greater validation of his professional abilities than the personal opinion of some frustrated guy in Indiana pontificating on a message board.

I would further submit that the criticisms aimed at the student athletes by people of little (if any) athletic ability is more troubling. I cringe when I read some of the garbage posted here about our Marquette players.  

Steve Alford was not hired to be anyone's best friend; he was hired to win basketball games. And remember, even Tom Landry was fired.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »
I'm skeptical.  Every few years a new idea like this comes about.  My doctor now telling me don't take fish oil after for years everyone was throwing that stuff down.  Low fat, low carbs,  now more fat, etc.

A lot of stuff out there with a bunch of differing expert opinions.  I don't know who to trust anymore.

http://www.examiner.com/article/grain-brain-controversy-should-we-eat-grains-is-this-science-or-rhetoric

Sounds like Tom Crean is a Perlmutter disciple:

"Perlmutter is no stranger to controversy since he is a leader in the usage of hyperbaric oxygen ..."

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Keefe, I am sure you realize that your previous two posts contradict each other in tone and philosophy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »

You are right to be skeptical, frankly the anti-grain movement is pseudo-science and people like Perimutter are strictly in the business of making money instead of improving peoples health.

His contentions and others within the anti-grain movement that grains cause illnesses like ADHD, dementia and alzheimer's is frankly ridiculous and ignore everything that we know about cell biology, metabolism and the illnesses themselves. 

Second, if grains did negatively effect the brain and to counter it, the best option is fats and cholesterol, then you are destroying your heart and cardiovascular system.  Hard for your brain to function well without blood flowing to it. 

As someone already noted, the prudent thing is to eat a healthy well balance diet.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »
So you're telling me the Kevin Trudeau diet is a sham?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »
I am amazed that people of slender (if any) accomplishment belittle those who have achieved genuine professional success. I would submit that the fact that he has been hired by UCLA is greater validation of his professional abilities than the personal opinion of some frustrated guy in Indiana pontificating on a message board.

So you gauge the value of people merely based on where they are in their respective professional arenas? A piece of s**t CEO is a better person than a genuinely kind, generous, faithful fast food worker?

Slim

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
You are right to be skeptical, frankly the anti-grain movement is pseudo-science and people like Perimutter are strictly in the business of making money instead of improving peoples health.

His contentions and others within the anti-grain movement that grains cause illnesses like ADHD, dementia and alzheimer's is frankly ridiculous and ignore everything that we know about cell biology, metabolism and the illnesses themselves. 

Second, if grains did negatively effect the brain and to counter it, the best option is fats and cholesterol, then you are destroying your heart and cardiovascular system.  Hard for your brain to function well without blood flowing to it. 

As someone already noted, the prudent thing is to eat a healthy well balance diet.

Said the guy that goes by the name forgetful.  Hmmm...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Said the guy that goes by the name forgetful.  Hmmm...

Touche...the name is an homage to the fact that when I first made an account on here I could never remember my login name or password, so I created that name so that I would never forget.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
So you gauge the value of people merely based on where they are in their respective professional arenas? A piece of s**t CEO is a better person than a genuinely kind, generous, faithful fast food worker?

Do not confuse the issue. The point under consideration is strictly a man's professional stature. And if he were genuinely the ethical miscreant some here have suggested, with no empiricism mind you, I am confident UCLA's screening methodology would have investigated that with greater insight and precision than any Scoop poster.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
Keefe, I am sure you realize that your previous two posts contradict each other in tone and philosophy.

Not at all. Tom Crean introduced Hyperbaric chambers to the Marquette basketball program. Dr. Perlmutter is a proponent of that technology.

As far as Crean goes, my wife and I both had first hand experience with him. My wife was a living saint who understood and accepted human fraility. But even she was forced to say Tom Crean was the most thoughtless, disingenuous, self-centered person she had ever met. As a Microsoft person she encountered jack a$$es daily so that is saying a lot.

There is a difference between what you know and what you wish you knew.

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
Do not confuse the issue. The point under consideration is strictly a man's professional stature. And if he were genuinely the ethical miscreant some here have suggested, with no empiricism mind you, I am confident UCLA's screening methodology would have investigated that with greater insight and precision than any Scoop poster.

This is the same UCLA that hired Jim Harrick and Rick Neuheisel, right?
And let's not forget the shady recruiting of Shabazz Muhammad.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »
This is the same UCLA that hired Jim Harrick and Rick Neuheisel, right?
And let's not forget the shady recruiting of Shabazz Muhammad.

NM

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »

Keefe's contention (I think) is that it's hard to call Alford an "underachiever" professionally when he's just landed one of the top jobs in his profession. That doesn't mean he's not an a$$hole and a despicable person. Our previous coach is living proof that the two aren't mutually exclusive.

feedback