[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]McKay sheds light on decision to transfer from Marquette  (Read 13153 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]McKay sheds light on decision to transfer from Marquette
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »
Maybe the PC thing is to pat every kid on their head and tell them they're making good decisions and it'll all work out. But sometimes people make bad decisions. Sometimes guys show their character and you are disappointed. Go back to Buzz's quote in the Journal. It's rather telling.

I don't disagree with what you and sultan are saying and as the coach who recruited him buzz certainly has the right to criticize him.

Why do you think you should get on your high horse and go off on the kid. Have class, wish him luck and move on.  just because you post on a message board, and throw some sh-t against the wall that occasionally sticks doesn't make you the judge an jury if all things MU bb. It just means you occasionally have sticky sh-t

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 08:16:59 PM »
I couldn't agree more than I do with both Sultan and Brew.  JK quit on the team.  Period.  Character revealed.  Period.  Maybe he was told there weren't trophies for everyone at the end of the year regardless of how the team did....

Did Buzz quit on New Orleans?  Did Majerus on MU?  Did Crean on MU?

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
Did Buzz quit on New Orleans?  Did Majerus on MU?  Did Crean on MU?

I know it's teal, but the answers are yes and justified; no; and yes and justified.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
I know it's teal, but the answers are yes and justified; no; and yes and justified.

And how many of them resigned in mid-October?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
I don't disagree with what you and sultan are saying and as the coach who recruited him buzz certainly has the right to criticize him.

Why do you think you should get on your high horse and go off on the kid. Have class, wish him luck and move on.  just because you post on a message board, and throw some sh-t against the wall that occasionally sticks doesn't make you the judge an jury if all things MU bb. It just means you occasionally have sticky sh-t

I'm not claiming to be judge and jury.  I am simply speaking out against his character.  Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, but his actions were bullsh*t.  Four practices.  Never gave it a chance.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »

Buzz didn't exactly criticize him. He said he was glad for the faith Jameel, his coaches, and family gave to the staff before McKay arrived at Marquette. Or more accurately, all the people who were on board until he got to Marquette and learned it was hard. All of these people lost faith in the staff once McKay got here. So they backed the kid quitting. It was a failure by Jameel and all his handlers.

And so I have an opinion and express it. I'm not going to apologize for my disappointment in a quitter. You endorse and support it. Fine, no skin off mine. But don't expect the whole world to feel the same way you do.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »

I'm not claiming to be judge and jury.  I am simply speaking out against his character.  Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, but his actions were bullsh*t.  Four practices.  Never gave it a chance.
I get where you are coming from, but sometimes its better to just take the high road especially when you don't know where a kids head is at. We have had plenty of employees act like ass hats and quit. You just say wish you luck and good bye. McKay is obviously not mu material so be it cut bait and move on.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2013, 08:57:47 PM »
Buzz didn't exactly criticize him. He said he was glad for the faith Jameel, his coaches, and family gave to the staff before McKay arrived at Marquette. Or more accurately, all the people who were on board until he got to Marquette and learned it was hard. All of these people lost faith in the staff once McKay got here. So they backed the kid quitting. It was a failure by Jameel and all his handlers.

And so I have an opinion and express it. I'm not going to apologize for my disappointment in a quitter. You endorse and support it. Fine, no skin off mine. But don't expect the whole world to feel the same way you do.
Well I never said I endorsed it and supported it, not even close. I am not expecting you to apologize nor asked you to. Do you feel you need to? obviously everyone isn't going to feel the same way I do or you do. That's the beauty of message boards. Btw I have an opinion and express it just like you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »

Amen.

“Buzz is a good dude and I respect him,” McKay said. “But I simply believe I can put myself in (a) better situation.”

All about him.

brandx

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2013, 09:19:12 PM »

“Buzz is a good dude and I respect him,” McKay said.

Maybe it's just me, but that statement shows nothing but disrespect. Buzz isn't a "good dude". He is the coach and authority figure - and the reason McKay was here in the first place.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »
I do think everyone wishes McKay good luck. I also think everyone here thinks his decision was not well thought out. I do not see why he thinks he will do better at schools like Florida. He should transfer to a lower level program, if he cannot compete here.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but that statement shows nothing but disrespect. Buzz isn't a "good dude". He is the coach and authority figure - and the reason McKay was here in the first place.

His behavior had been nothing but disrespect. Walking out on his team. Tweeting coaches from other teams when NCAA rules prevent official contact. Attending practices at other schools. That's my issue. McKay is gone, and considering his actions and attitudes, good riddance. But jeez, he could at least have enough respect for the program he signed with to not reach out so obviously to other programs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »
We never had him. He's obviously the opposite of a team-first guy. He won't be missed.

Lateer, Jameel. Somehow, someway, Marquette hoops will continue without yee.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »
I won't trash the kid. I see no evidence that says he's a bad actor. But this is a big boy program and if you can't or aren't willing to do what it takes to hack it, goodbye and good luck. I don't know whether this will work out better for Jameel, but if he wants out it will definitely work out better for MU. Selling out MU's culture of GTST for any guy, no matter how talented, isn't worth it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
I do think everyone wishes McKay good luck. I also think everyone here thinks his decision was not well thought out. I do not see why he thinks he will do better at schools like Florida. He should transfer to a lower level program, if he cannot compete here.

I don't wish him good luck.  I don't wish him bad luck either.  If life takes him to UNLV and Eastern Illinois, more power to him.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
The most important question at the moment is...how do I erase his autograph that my daughter got at Buzz's BBQ on her MU basketball that already had Jimmy Butler's and Buzz's autographs?  Anyone really talented with whiteout?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 10:18:38 PM »

I don't wish him good luck.  I don't wish him bad luck either.  If life takes him to UNLV and Eastern Illinois, more power to him.

Exactly my thoughts.  I don't root him him to fail out of spite, but I don't wish him luck in the way that I wish guys like Jamail Jones and Jamal Ferguson luck.  They stuck around and worked and gave it a legitimate shot, and it didn't work out.  Jimmy Butler stuck around and decided to hang in there and it worked out quite well.  Dwight Buycks was a local Juco phenom who got to campus and reality had him behind two midgets or playing out of position alongside them - so he just worked harder, then kept working for three more years and look what happened.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »
The most important question at the moment is...how do I erase his autograph that my daughter got at Buzz's BBQ on her MU basketball that already had Jimmy Butler's and Buzz's autographs?  Anyone really talented with whiteout?

I'd talk up the rarity of a Jameel autograph.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »
Maybe the PC thing is to pat every kid on their head and tell them they're making good decisions and it'll all work out. But sometimes people make bad decisions. Sometimes guys show their character and you are disappointed. Go back to Buzz's quote in the Journal. It's rather telling.

#1 I don't think the decision makes sense, but it's not mine to make.

#2 Buzz and Jameel's teammates are welcome to judge him in any manner they see fit, and I would completely understand if they were upset with him.

#3 Stupid fans on the internet should keep their mouths shut about a kid (who they have never met) and his character. That has nothing to do with PC, and everything to do with being an adult. The kid decided he wanted to go to another school. Brett Roseboro did the same thing. Same thing will happen again in the future. Let's not attack every kid who DARE try something different than MU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »
Coaches leave, players leave, people leave jobs.  Sometimes not a good fit, better opportunity, whatever.  I suppose sometimes it is "quitting" on someone or something (team), but seems to me it is usually for something much different like a better opportunity, better fit, lifestyle, geography, whatever.

IMO

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »

I dunno, the guys all call Buzz by his first name. The players seem to have a pretty casual relationship with Buzz, even though he is charge.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2013, 10:48:28 PM »
#3 Stupid fans on the internet should keep their mouths shut about a kid (who they have never met) and his character. That has nothing to do with PC, and everything to do with being an adult. The kid decided he wanted to go to another school. Brett Roseboro did the same thing. Same thing will happen again in the future. Let's not attack every kid who DARE try something different than MU.

That's not it. Let me put it like this...I have a TON more respect for Jeronne Maymon and how that situation was handled than I do Jameel. He is attempting to make illegal contact with other schools in public while he is still on scholarship at Marquette. Sorry, but that's grade-A douchebaggery.

Respect isn't given, it's earned. Thus far, McKay hasn't earned a cent, and his actions in the past week have done nothing but sink his stock. He couldn't be handling this situation with much more disrespect for Marquette and the program than he has. All while playing the poor victim with something to prove.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
That's not it. Let me put it like this...I have a TON more respect for Jeronne Maymon and how that situation was handled than I do Jameel. He is attempting to make illegal contact with other schools in public while he is still on scholarship at Marquette. Sorry, but that's grade-A douchebaggery.

Respect isn't given, it's earned. Thus far, McKay hasn't earned a cent, and his actions in the past week have done nothing but sink his stock. He couldn't be handling this situation with much more disrespect for Marquette and the program than he has. All while playing the poor victim with something to prove.

I'm a little confused.  Guys that are transferring reach out to schools all the time to transfer.  Is it the part about doing it in public?  If you look at the kids that have transferred into MU, how is it any different considering they were under scholarship of another school and had contact with representatives of MU?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »

What about Roseboro? Were we all as outraged about him quitting before school EVEN STARTED? GRRRR!!!! DISRESPECTFUL!!!

Listen, if Buzz and MU want to be mad, then so be it. They've earned that.

But, us internet dorks aren't on the team. Let's not be the fans that blast a kid and talk about his character. Leave that kinda stuff to Badger Fran.  

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »
Wow. I didn't think I could see so many people get so judgmental about a kid they know nothing about.

Even if the only reason that McKay is leaving is that he didn't like how he was being utilized, so what? He has the right to transfer to a system that he feels suits him better. Say you are hired for a job. You are really excited and it was your top choice. They spent money recruiting you and wining and dining you. They give you a nice fat salary. But once you get there, you hate it. They aren't doing anything wrong, you just don't fit in. Maybe you don't like your coworkers, maybe you don't like your boss, maybe you don't feel like your potential is being maximized. But for some reason, you aren't happy. Are you really saying that you wouldn't at least put out feelers for other jobs?

I've been in the above situation, and its awful. I absolutely put feelers out for other jobs and once I got an offer, I took it. I don't think that says anything poor about my character. And you know what, I love my new job and are much happier for it.

I know its not a perfect comparison. And I know some will probably say that I am a disgrace for leaving my first job. But sometimes you have to do what is best for yourself. You can call that selfish if you want, but it is even more selfish for fans of a college basketball team to take shots at a kid who decides to transfer.

Again, I don't understand the decision. I feel like it makes more sense to play and then transfer after a year. But I'm not McKay and I don't know what's best for him. McKay does, and he should do whatever he needs to get himself to the place where he wants to be.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.