[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor  (Read 17023 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »
 It seems as if the pressure to win this year has allowed the deep pockets of the Bears organization to go after signing Julius Peppers (which may be done by this afternoon), and Chester Taylor. Word was that the Bears were in it for the former Cardinal Antrel Rolle but that seems to have changed as he is believed to be visiting 3 teams today.

As a Bears fan they needed to have a splash in free agency not only to show the fans that they want to win this year but beyond. People keep complaining about the Bears not going after offensive lineman in this years free agency, but tell me what good ones are out there. The Bears will most likely use all of their picks on secondary help and offensive lineman. Go Bears!

Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GGGG

• All American
Re: Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:58:30 AM »
As a Bears fan they needed to have a splash in free agency not only to show the fans that they want to win this year but beyond.

I think signing Peppers is a real smart thing because they need a good pass rusher in Lovie's cover-2.  However you're smarter than the line above...that's just an empty cliche.  Are you saying that the Bears didn't "want to win" previously?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
I actually like the Chester Taylor signing more than Peppers.  Will they now look to move Alex Brown or Ogunleye(sic) for another draft pick?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:01:20 AM »
Do either of them catch passes???  ?-(
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
The rumor was also out there that the Broncos were trying hard to get the Bears to take Marshall for a draft pick.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:06:33 AM »
However you're smarter than the line above...that's just an empty cliche.

I understand that. Yet the trade for Jay Cutler did cost us more than people realized at first glance, with the first round draft picks.

It may be cliche but the fact of the matter is the Bears high draft picks overall haven't been as good as their late round additions, we will have to see how the trade plays out in the long run. Having said that I loved the trade and still do. Plugging the holes they have now for next year with immediate help was going to be done only in 2 ways trades or via free agents.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:26 AM »
The rumor was also out there that the Broncos were trying hard to get the Bears to take Marshall for a draft pick.

What draft pick?  I don't think the Bears have one until 2013 as it is.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
Do either of them catch passes???  

I do like how strong some of the receivers came on, and there are some veterans out there that could help even for this year but there are bigger holes.

Even though I heard the Cardinals only wanted a 3rd round draft pick for Boldin.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
When do the Bears finally select in the draft...4th round?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »
3rd

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »
As a Bears fan they needed to have a splash in free agency not only to show the fans that they want to win this year but beyond.

This happened a year ago ... Cutler

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »
I think they're wasting their money on Peppers. He takes too many plays off and is past his prime I like the Taylor signing for the right price, though.

They're going to sign Rolle, mark my words.

They're going to need some luck to get any decent DBs or OLs in the draft, since bonehead Angelo traded their high draft picks for a headcase (Cutler) and the unfortunate (Gaines Adams).

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »
I think Angelo has also said he is not going to go after a veteran WR, he liked how the young receivers came along and the Bears are going to go with them.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »
Past his prime?

He had 10.5 sacks last year, 14.5 the year before, and was hurt on and off the year before that. I think its a great signing.

The thing about this year is that the only unrestricted free agents have to have been in the league for 6 years so their not restricted free agents. Meaning that unrestricted free agents are at least 27 or 28 years old. The Bears do not have the draft picks to give up by signing a restricted free agent.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »
Chester is a great guy and could quickly turn into their #1 option .  At worst, as a #2 he's a guy that can run and catch passes on 3rd down.  Loved in Minnesota.. I hope he's back with the Consensus this season. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
 Interesting tidbits from John Clayton on NFL Free agency this year.

Whole blog:   
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4965069

Basically explains what the final eight teams in the playoffs can and can't do in free agency.

4. The Final Eight Plan. This is perhaps the most confusing issue of the uncapped year for fans, but the concept is pretty simple. The deeper a team went in the 2009 playoffs, the less it can do in free agency. For example, the final four teams in the playoffs -- the Saints, Colts, Vikings and Jets -- can sign an unrestricted free agent only if they lose a free agent. Don't expect these teams to be in the free-agent bidding. Those four teams have 24 free agents combined, and few of them are starters -- particularly if the Colts re-sign Brackett and the Saints re-sign Sharper. The four teams that lost in the divisional playoff round -- the Cowboys, Ravens, Cardinals and Chargers -- have a limited ability to go into free agency. They can replace a lost starter, but they can also sign one unrestricted free agent with a first-year salary of around $5.5 million. Basically, the top eight teams of 2009 have to take a wait-and-see position on free agency.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »
I hope he's back with the Consensus this season. 

Looks like the Packers are the slight consensus as of right now.

ODDS TO WIN THE 2010-2011 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
Team Open Current
New Orleans 7/2   
Dallas 4/1   
Green Bay 9/2   
Minnesota 11/2   
N.Y. Giants 15/2   
Philadelphia 10/1   
Atlanta 10/1   
Chicago 14/1   
Arizona 20/1   
San Francisco 20/1   
Washington 25/1   
Carolina 30/1   
Detroit 40/1   
Seattle 40/1   
Tampa Bay 60/1   
St. Louis 75/1 

ODDS TO WIN SUPER BOWL XLV
Team Open Current
Indianapolis 13/2   
New Orleans 7/1   
Dallas 15/2   
New England 17/2   
San Diego 17/2   
Green Bay 19/2   
Minnesota 11/1   
Pittsburgh 12/1   
N.Y. Jets 14/1   
N.Y. Giants 15/1   
Philadelphia 18/1   
Atlanta 20/1   
Tennessee 22/1   
Baltimore 24/1   
Chicago 28/1   
Miami 30/1   
Houston 30/1   
Cincinnati 35/1   
Arizona 40/1   
Denver 45/1   
Jacksonville 45/1   
San Francisco 45/1   
Washington 50/1   
Cleveland 60/1   
Carolina 60/1   
Detroit 80/1   
Seattle 80/1   
Buffalo 100/1   
Kansas City 125/1   
Oakland 125/1   
Tampa Bay 125/1   
St. Louis 150/1 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »
Ok, I talked to my Bears "guy".

PRN-Bears will not sign Rolle. They knew ahead of time what Rolle wanted, and the Bears nixed that idea from the get go. Rolle's looking for $8 mil per, not going to happen in Chicago.

Peppers is far from a lock from signing, most likely Taylor will sign by this afternoon. If they lose out on Peppers, they're going to try and bring in Dansby.

They won't trade for any receivers (Boldin or Marshall). They have no problem with the trade compensation (2011 pick, 2nd round for Marshall, 3rd for Boldin), but it's the $$$ they'd have to give those guys in new deals.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »
none of this matters because
A) The Lions are close to signing Burleson and Vanden Bosch. That EASILY makes them the front runners for the Division

B) Since the cap is gone a lot of teams will be acting differently. Teams are going to dump the players that are overpaid and under performing without much worry. You're going to see an over saturated free agent market. Most teams are going to spend a WHOLE lot less on free agents. With the exception of a few players that will be ridiculously over paid, most players will see 1 year contracts at a cut rate.  You could even see a baseball type thing where teams keep a team salary less than last years minimum to save as much money as possible before going into the lockout.

C) the bears still suck

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 10:23:37 AM »
I think they're wasting their money on Peppers. He takes too many plays off and is past his prime I like the Taylor signing for the right price, though.

Not past his prime, stricter drug testing has reduced his effectiveness. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
Per Brad Biggs:

"Pats and Eagles have offers on table for Julius Peppers as well as Bears."

"Agent for S Ryan Clark says 6 teams (including Steelers) are in play for him. Everyone is gaga over Antrel Rolle. Ryan is a better player."

BME to MD

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 10:36:36 AM »
One of the main problems that I see with the Bears is the fact that the wealth of the owner's is completely dependent on the team.  I don't know of any other teams where that is the case and it is a real problem when the family cares more about financial security than success on the field.  George Halas was a really cheap guy but his passion and aptitude for winning in the NFL made up for it.  In an uncapped NFL the Bears should be a force to be reckoned with due to the huge market from which they can draw revenues but they will not reach that potential with the current set of owners.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »
A) The Lions are close to signing Burleson and Vanden Bosch. That EASILY makes them the front runners for the Division

KVB is overrated. And I hope you are trying to channel Jay Bee in an attempt to be funny.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LON

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »

Too bad Matt Millen isn't still there, they'd probably draft Dez Bryant as well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 11:26:53 AM »
One of the main problems that I see with the Bears is the fact that the wealth of the owner's is completely dependent on the team.  I don't know of any other teams where that is the case and it is a real problem when the family cares more about financial security than success on the field.

Their are other families that own teams and are in tne same position:

Arizona Cardinals = Bill Bidwill (1972)
Buffalo Bills = Ralph Wilson (1960)
Detroit Lions = William Clay Ford, Sr. (1964)
Oakland Raiders = Al Davis (1976)
Tennessee Titans = Bud Adams (1960)

And, like the Bears, they are all not very good.  Your point about family ownership hurting the bears is valid, it's just they are not alone.