[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean Rebuilds IU  (Read 9836 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Crean Rebuilds IU
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
 I know many of you may believe that Tom Crean hasn't done anything for Indiana since he's been there, but given where the program was at since Sampson left there is only so much you can do in your first two years given the situation. Also, the fact that Sampson got a job w/the Bucks pisses me off as well.

I know many of you didn't like the character or the personality of one Tom Crean, yet this blog gives some perspective and leeway to someone who I believe deserves it. I respect what Crean did for MU, even though he came off as if his shi* didn't stink. I watch Tiger Woods play golf, what he does in his personal life is none of my business and this somewhat applies to Tom Crean and coaching basketball. Yes I understand that being the head coach at MU is pretty much like being an ambassador for the university.

All that being said, a good blog for not only IU fans to read but people who have opinions in regards to Crean's IU debut thus far.

http://blogs.indystar.com/hoosiersinsider/archives/2010/03/people_need_to.html
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Re: Crean Rebuilds IU
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:11 PM »
Just lose baby (My motto about II, II)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
Just seems like the rebuilding process would be a lot quicker for him... since he was the coveted coach in the 2000s.

Buzz has re-built Marquette much quicker, in a tougher conference, with less tradition (Indiana has more tradition then MU)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »
We've just had one of the biggest wind of the season and locked ourselves into the dance.  Why a Crean thread now? or ever again?  Really.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
assuming last year was rock bottom, with only 1 player coming back, were is the progress in year 2?  Also his 2010 recruiting class is not very good, and his best 2 freshman and not from the Midwest.

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
There has to be a way that moderators can just block the word "Crean" right?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
I like your thinking.  Mods?

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »
No one is forcing you to read it.  Move along!

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
We've just had one of the biggest wind of the season and locked ourselves into the dance.  Why a Crean thread now? or ever again?  Really.

Nobody says you have to read every thread posted, thats the great thing about having titles for topics. If you don't want to read anything Crean related then you don't have to.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
I am completely neutral about Crean anymore.  He did a fine job with the program, took us to the NCAAs and a Final Four, and left, end of story--what's in the past is in the past.  
However, I could absolutely NOT give a s*** about Indiana basketball.  I could care if they ever win another game.  I read blogs about MU basketball, the JS, etc., and that reading is especially gratifying when we keep winning like we did last night, against a team I hate. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »
I read the article.  Its interesting.  The situation at IU was pretty terrible his first year.  I was confused when the article mentions that this year's team is less talented that last years.  If he brought some players in his first year and he brought some players in this year, why would it be less talented than a team with one returning player who was a walkon?   I watch IU last year and this year and I don't see much improvement.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »
There has to be a way that posters can just block the word "Crean" right?

+1

Jesus Christ, people. He's the head coach of a bottom feeder in an inferior conference. People still bitching about Crean 2 years later make me think their folks never told them "there's plenty of fish in the sea" when they were younger.

And here at MU, we've boated a big bass in Buzz. Enjoy the ride.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
Indiana recruits itself.  There is talent on the team now and more will come no matter who the coach is.  They will be at least average by the time his freshman are juniors.

He will never be another Bob Knight like they were expecting though.  He did nothing to quash those expectations either.

He has about 2 million reasons every year to be content with his situation as well.  

Thanks to Crean for getting us into the BE, allowing Wade to come, getting us Buzz, and then leaving.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
Jesus Christ, people. He's the head coach of a bottom feeder in an inferior conference. People still bitching about Crean 2 years later make me think their folks never told them "there's plenty of fish in the sea" when they were younger.

Did I say I missed him? Nobody is complaining that he is gone, I love Buzz Williams and I didn't shed a tear when Crean left. The situation is sad that in today's sports world its always "what have you done for me lately?" Some teams fans are spoiled and expect championships year in and year out, IU still doesn't realize the situation they were left with when Sampson left. That is all this blog and topic is about, people yelling "fire" when the smoke hasn't cleared from what previously happened.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »

Thanks to Crean for getting us into the BE, allowing Wade to come, getting us Buzz, and then leaving.

I'd also like to thank him for the final four.  The Pitt & Kentucky wins gave me one of the best three day stretches of my life.  Definitely left at the right time though, with the right coach in place.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
Here's an idea, post it on the peegs (IU) board. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
Here's an idea, post it on the peegs (IU) board.

Or refrain from reading any topic that says Crean, just a suggestion. Too many people read stuff they claim they get sick of hearing about, yet they read it regardless, and then complain about what they read. Just refrain from reading posts that pertain to a certain topic and then complaining about it, it ruins these boards.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:03:36 PM by damuts222 »

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
No One is bashing Crean that I saw.  I'm from Indiana but was never an IU fan becuase 15 years ago all the fans thought they were gods gift to basketball.  Crean did a great job at MU, but the expectations are much higher at IU.  10 years ago many of the best player's in Ind. went to IU.  Now he has to compete with Ohio State, Purdue, Louisville as well as the big boys Duke, NC, Kentucky etc.  its a much harder sell than it use to be.  I also worry that his 2 best freshman Creek and Watford are not from the midwest and cannot be having much fun right now, and His 2 recruits for 2010 are rated below Reggie Smith.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
I know many of you may believe that Tom Crean hasn't done anything for Indiana since he's been there, but given where the program was at since Sampson left there is only so much you can do in your first two years given the situation. Also, the fact that Sampson got a job w/the Bucks pisses me off as well.

Why does Sampson to the Bucks piss you off?  What he got in trouble for is completely irrelevant in the NBA.  He's a good coach.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »
Nobody says you have to read every thread posted, thats the great thing about having titles for topics. If you don't want to read anything Crean related then you don't have to.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
Why does Sampson to the Bucks piss you off?  What he got in trouble for is completely irrelevant in the NBA.  He's a good coach.

That is true, I guess its just a shame that these coaches can leave programs in shambles and not have to pay any price. Not like they could do anything to the coaches. Bobby Knight said something about Calipari (not using his name, but it was obvious who he was talking about) along the lines that a coach can have NCAA investigations at two colleges UMASS and Memphis and ditch them for other positions with no reprimand against the coach, which is a shame.

He is a good coach its just there is a list of these coaches that have done the same and they just move on.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
After watching MU play yesterday, watching Buzz jump and dance, listening to his emotional speech in post-game with Homer/Mac, and reading the "Marquette's Biggest Fan" article all within the last 24 hours all I have to say is...

You can have him Indiana.  Good luck to you.

Can we move on now?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:37:54 PM by MU1984 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »
That is true, I guess its just a shame that these coaches can leave programs in shambles and not have to pay any price. Not like they could do anything to the coaches. Bobby Knight said something about Calipari (not using his name, but it was obvious who he was talking about) along the lines that a coach can have NCAA investigations at two colleges UMASS and Memphis and ditch them for other positions with no reprimand against the coach, which is a shame.

He is a good coach its just there is a list of these coaches that have done the same and they just move on.

I understand that, but he's got to make a living at something.  He's no longer the head coach and is probably making a fraction of what he was earlier.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
Buzz has re-built Marquette much quicker, in a tougher conference, with less tradition (Indiana has more tradition then MU)

These arent even comparable. This came up in one of the Tan Tommy discussions before, but if you legitimately think the states of MU and IU were even similar, your understanding of one or both is fundamentally flawed.  Losing a good class of players and rebuilding a program are not the same thing.  By your measure, every program must rebuild every 3-4 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I think it's incredible bad karma, bad ju-ju to wish ill will on other teams (though I'm guilty of it at times).  The previous coach left 4 of the top 8 scorers in MU history for us, plus gave the university Buzz Williams.

There will be a day when we have a crap season or two, as well....happens to everyone....North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, etc.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
Crean's "rebuilding" efforts at Indiana? So far, NOT so good.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:38 PM »
Watched some of the game tonight against Purdue, I have always liked Indiana, and I am interested in seeing how the team develops.  Not a Crean fan/hater either way, but I saw a sign that was funny. 

"Even I Can Play For U"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
I think it's incredible bad karma, bad ju-ju to wish ill will on other teams (though I'm guilty of it at times).  The previous coach left 4 of the top 8 scorers in MU history for us, plus gave the university Buzz Williams.

There will be a day when we have a crap season or two, as well....happens to everyone....North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, etc.   

I'm with you, Chicos. Crean left for what he and many others thought was a better job. Which one of us would not do the same? And how many of us would tell our superiors or our reports that were interviewing for another job? And yes, a day will come when we have a crap season or two and we'll all be calling for Buzz's head. However, I don't think Buzz would ever have a crap season with 2 or 3 McD all- americans on the team!

feedback