[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Richest MU alums?  (Read 26719 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Richest MU alums?
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »
That begs the question as to what d-wade is worth ...

I'm going to guess that when you factor in salary and endorsements he has made $75 million so far.  He is making $16 million this year and was making "only" $4 million as late as 2006.

From that $75 million, subtract 10% for agent fees, 30% for the market decline (he has to invest this in something, and if its munis, let hope it was not auction rate perferreds), his divorce (these can cost a ton!!), his philanthropy and an NBA players penchant for freely spending money and I'll guess he is worth $20 to $30 million right now.

Now remember the question was anyone alumni worth more than Wade now, not in 5 years.  Yes, he could easily earn another $100+ million in the next five years, and when that happens we can revisit this question.

If the hurdle is $25 million (mid-point of the $20 to $30 million guess), then I'll bet a lot of the alumni in my list, and others mentioned in this thread are worth more than that.  Remember a CEO in his 60s that makes $1 to $2 million a year, and has been doing it for 20+years, and started investing in the market when the Dow Jones was less than 1,000, has not been divorced and does not live the free spending life style of a Wade, could easily be worth $30 to $40 million right now.

Again these are just guesses.  Feel free to disagree.

----

Added later ... To be clear, I'm answering the question of "net worth" and as I show above, I believe Wade is worth $20 to $30 million right now.  I'm not answering the question of how many MU alumni make more than $16 million/year.  That is a much smaller list, even the CEO of Goldman Sachs (Lloyd Blankfein) make less than $16 million/year.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:52:29 PM by AnotherMU84 »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »

I repeat...I do not see him pushing suitors away by the dozens. He was a fund manager investigated by the SEC. That would essentially be like allow Bernie Madoff to start another fund (not nearly as bad as him, but same idea of distrust).
[/quote]

Spitzer's allegations without charges denied the ability to defend.  Spitzer was a self-seeking opportunist with grandiose aspirations who tried to step on people to elevate himself.  He abused his position and caused more harm than good. 
I had money with Strong Funds, and would again invest with Dick Strong.  To even hint at a similarity to Bernie Madoff is foolish.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
I repeat...I do not see him pushing suitors away by the dozens. He was a fund manager investigated by the SEC. That would essentially be like allow Bernie Madoff to start another fund (not nearly as bad as him, but same idea of distrust).

Spitzer's allegations without charges denied the ability to defend.  Spitzer was a self-seeking opportunist with grandiose aspirations who tried to step on people to elevate himself.  He abused his position and caused more harm than good. 
I had money with Strong Funds, and would again invest with Dick Strong.  To even hint at a similarity to Bernie Madoff is foolish.

Those who compare Madoff to Strong have no clue about how the scurities business works.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »
Those who compare Madoff to Strong have no clue about how the scurities business works.

You're correct.  But, one could also say that a near billionaire felt the need to risk it all, and eventually lose it all, to "market-time" trades in his own funds for a $600k profit has to rank in the all-time top ten bad decisions on wall street.

feedback