[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best Way to Support the Program?  (Read 5592 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Best Way to Support the Program?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2023, 06:43:21 PM »
That appears to be an event to raise money for the fund - not paid performances by the athletes.  You don't have to like them, but they're doing the exact same thing as Marquette, maybe they're even doing it better..

https://choose901.com/901-fund-bowl-with-memphis-basketball/

And with lower ethical standards. I’m sorry I can’t show my work from the internet.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2023, 07:02:06 PM »
...and to pretend that Be the Difference is going make a difference to keep players like Kam here at MU when some Memphis booster with Brink trucks of cash who could care less about serving the community comes calling is also naive. I'm sure the money is going to come from "other sources" to compensate and retain our players. Paying our players to do "charitable work" to serve the community seems quite disingenuous to me, when we are actually paying them to stay at MU.
Here is my experience in the matter. We operate our business in various regional markets where the community goes Ga-Ga over local College Teams. It is seen as a big benefit  to our employees and customers that we are involved with these schools.

When this first started, the Head Coaches , who we originally funded for their charities, told us to give the same dollars directly to players .   Which we did through advertising. Now that the Collectives are in place we just give our dollars to those entities.

We strictly have a commercial relationship with these schools. If it helps the schools retain the players that is their business, I am not a fan of their teams. Business is Business though. These are P5 schools. 

In the early days we did the same thing in the South through funding a NASCAR team. Got us all sorts of employees in our facilities.

Just a different vehicle now.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2023, 07:34:12 PM »
Consider donating to the Be the Difference collective. For better or worse, NIL is the new norm in college basketball. Marquette found a way to address this reality while still staying in line with it's Jesuit mission and values. The collective is a 501(C)(3) plays players for their work in the community with various non-profits such as the Boys and Girls Club, Sharp Literacy, All in Milwaukee and others.

https://www.bethedifferencenil.org/

Donations of any size help. The reality is, whenever this magical season ends (likely on a Monday in April), the portal is going to open and there's going to be a lot of money being thrown out our guys. Memphis will send three or four brinks trucks to Kam. Oso, Jop, and Stevie are all going to be getting calls from around the country. Donating helps give back to community while also ensuring that we will continue to be the dominant team in the BEast.

Any idea what % of the donations go to the athletes and what % goes to admininstration of the collective?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2023, 07:42:43 PM »
I do wonder how much this is an inflection point in athletics.

I recall Big John Thompson saying something along the lines of "I realized that no blue blood would hire a coach that looked like me, so I realized I had to take a school that would hire me and elevate it into being a blue blood." There's an inertia/path-dependence/first-to-market (however you want to frame it) advantage to basically any endeavor, right? It's easier to be successful at UNC because it's UNC, or at UCLA because you can point to Wooden, or at MU because there's a tradition of excellence. Now it's not determinative by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a factor. I bring these two ideas up because they're in conflict, yet Georgetown rising (let's imagine it did not crater in the last decade-ish) is an example of how despite the weight of past success, an up-and-comer can fight for space at the big kids' table.

But... what if NIL and collectives kinda change that? Imagine the troll above argle bargling about endowment has a point (if not the one he thought he had)? Let's say that it just so happens that the MUscoop organization decides to donate a literal $1B to BeTheDiferenceNIL. That collective suddenly can park its assets in like treasury bills and still throw off enough revenue to pay dudes a ton of money.

What I'm thinking is that if the system maintains some manner of stability (no guarantee), then the first schools to fund the crap out of their NIL collectives will have a massive advantage over every school that doesn't. Then, suddenly, it's a heckuva lot harder to be Big John and transform a have not into a have.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »
There are many ways to support the program and / or MU:

Buy season tickets
Donate to the B / G fund
Donate to the university
And … donate to the BTD / NIL …

Etc etc etc

Let’s all do our part

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2023, 07:52:54 PM »
We need to donate now...to prevent TK from having to do any additional commercials  ;D

https://youtu.be/IzmyBRobKds

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2023, 07:57:57 PM »
This NIL donation deal is weak.  It’s basically like the lotto now taking from the relative poor to fund athletics.  We were better off when the shoe corporations were paying kids.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2023, 08:01:47 PM »
I don't understand the objection.  Don't all of these NIL collectives have to come up with some phony way to transmit the cash to the athlete?  I thought you still couldn't run afoul of "pay to play" so the athlete has to "do" something using their name image or likeness, their "brand" to get the transfer.  If that is to help out a charity instead of a gym or a car dealership, might as well be the charity. I guess my concern that the charity pay be competitive the other options.

...and demonstrate that the charities they say they are helping are actually benefitting from the partnership in substantial way with metrics like for example increased donations. Otherwise it is as you say, "a phony way to transfer cash to the players".

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2023, 08:03:29 PM »
We need to donate now...to prevent TK from having to do any additional commercials  ;D

https://youtu.be/IzmyBRobKds

Can you imagine if it was SVB.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2023, 08:04:29 PM »
Any idea what % of the donations go to the athletes and what % goes to admininstration of the collective?

...or the charities.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2023, 08:06:03 PM »

My understanding is less than 10%
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2023, 08:10:41 PM »
Suckers.  Marquette has  a $1 billion dollar endowment.  I’ll support the team by going to games but they are doing quite well financially.  They’ve got plenty of money.

As others have said, you don't understand how endowments work.

Also, Marquette's is quite small compared to peer institutions (~$700M). Even tiny schools like Grinnell in Iowa have $2B+, the badgers have $3B+, and even the Medical College of Wisconsin is nearly double MU's.

Some schools do capital campaigns where in one campaign they raise more than double MU's endowment.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:13:15 PM by forgetful »

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2023, 08:13:58 PM »
Put a corporate “Amazon” patch on our uniforms and get our athlete money.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2023, 08:22:37 PM »
FWIW - Memphis is going to back up the brinks truck for Kam this off season. They need someone to replace Kendrick and want to bring back the home town kid. Donate, donate, donate !

You know this how?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2023, 08:23:07 PM »
Put a corporate “Amazon” patch on our uniforms and get our athlete money.

Again, not how it works.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2023, 08:24:30 PM »
Take from the people not the billion dollar universities or corporations.  Sounds like a great deal.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2023, 08:27:48 PM »
Take from the people not the billion dollar universities or corporations.  Sounds like a great deal.

Then don’t donate? Nobody is forcing you to

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2023, 08:29:25 PM »
I won’t and I implore others not to as well.  But you’re right.  To each his own that’s your right.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2023, 08:30:54 PM »

It’s a voluntary transaction - and only one ne aspect of NIL. If you don’t want to support it, then don’t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2023, 08:31:13 PM »
I’ll still go to the games though. :)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2023, 08:33:24 PM »
I won’t and I implore others not to as well.  But you’re right.  To each his own that’s your right.

Oh I’m not donating either, Marquette has enough of my money, lol.

But it’s just the modern landscape of recruiting and these are the thi by s that have to be done to stay competitive.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2023, 08:43:08 PM »
What the hell is going on here? Fundraisers? NIL $$$ The players on this team made decisions to come here. Some were easier than others as is understandable. Players are offered scholarships. Do I go here, do I go there? These players were committed to Marquette. They weren't offered briefcases full of money. They are playing for the experience of high level bb. Period. They will be back next year to develop even more and be final four team next year. No body needs to hand any of them an envelope. I see character and commitment. Trust, and you shall be rewarded.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2023, 08:45:03 PM »
What the hell is going on here? Fundraisers? NIL $$$ The players on this team made decisions to come here. Some were easier than others as is understandable. Players are offered scholarships. Do I go here, do I go there? These players were committed to Marquette. They weren't offered briefcases full of money. They are playing for the experience of high level bb. Period. They will be back next year to develop even more and be final four team next year. No body needs to hand any of them an envelope. I see character and commitment. Trust, and you shall be rewarded.

Money talks

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2023, 08:47:50 PM »
My understanding is less than 10%

That’s interesting. I wonder if that number will be a separate line item on the public financials. I assume not and the salaries for athletes and non-athletes will just be rolled together.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2023, 08:48:17 PM »
If I remember it right, Jim Chones came to McGuire and said I'm leaving. And Al said he should give it another year and develop and Jim said I need to go for the money. My family has no food in the fridge. And Al said you go. You're already good enough.