[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best Way to Support the Program?  (Read 5592 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Best Way to Support the Program?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »
Marcus Lemonis was sitting courtside in MSG with prominent MU administration officials.  I am sure there are things going on behind the scenes to ensure we can support our SA's in order to keep them at MU.

Nah, I heard he was on a billboard in Times Square, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »
This has nothing to do with a college athlete getting paid. I went to all four Be the Difference partners websites and they each have their own DONATE button. I am just troubled that donating money to Be the Difference is money that could be going to that particular charity itself.

If you want to donate to them independently, that's your prerogative. If you want your money to go to a 501c3 that helps our players earn money and contribute to the community in the process, this is your option. This isn't just about helping those organizations, it's about supporting the Marquette Basketball program.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2023, 02:28:15 PM »
This has nothing to do with a college athlete getting paid. I went to all four Be the Difference partners websites and they each have their own DONATE button. I am just troubled that donating money to Be the Difference is money that could be going to that particular charity itself.

If you think your charity dollars are better spent elsewhere, that's obviously a legitimate opinion. But no one who was going to donate to these four non-profits is going to stop donating because of the collective. What will happen, is a bunch of people who would have never thought to donate to any of these organizations before will now donate because of the collective.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 02:30:36 PM »

In my experience, giving a good employee a nice bump in compensation often prevents them from looking at other alternatives. IOW, show Kam some love, and we may not need to match some hypothetical brinks offer from Memphis.

I have no problem with that. I just have a problem with Be the Difference promoting itself that if you give here we'll help our "partners" in the community when donating directly to those organizations may actually do more good.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2023, 02:32:56 PM »
If you think your charity dollars are better spent elsewhere, that's obviously a legitimate opinion. But no one who was going to donate to these four non-profits is going to stop donating because of the collective. What will happen, is a bunch of people who would have never thought to donate to any of these organizations before will now donate because of the collective.

How is that, any specifics?  I might change my mind.
If you want to donate to them independently, that's your prerogative. If you want your money to go to a 501c3 that helps our players earn money and contribute to the community in the process, this is your option. This isn't just about helping those organizations, it's about supporting the Marquette Basketball program.

I though that what the Blue & Gold fund was for.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 02:35:17 PM by muwarrior69 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2023, 02:51:12 PM »
How is that, any specifics?  I might change my mind.
I though that what the Blue & Gold fund was for.

The Blue & Gold fund also supports the program, but the two are completely different. However, the B&G cannot direct money to retaining players.

Quite simply, if you like what you are seeing and want to keep seeing it with this group of players, donate to BTD.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2023, 03:12:54 PM »
The Blue & Gold fund also supports the program, but the two are completely different. However, the B&G cannot direct money to retaining players.

Quite simply, if you like what you are seeing and want to keep seeing it with this group of players, donate to BTD.

So where is Memphis getting their money to allegedly poach Kam. Is it through a non-profit?

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2023, 03:13:32 PM »
There should be a very large, flashing "Donate to the BTD Fund Here" button at the very top of this forum's landing page.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2023, 03:18:04 PM »
So where is Memphis getting their money to allegedly poach Kam. Is it through a non-profit?

Don't know. And I'll believe all MU will lose Kam or anyone else to poaching as soon as I see somebody poached. I believe we'll have the money (and, yes, the culture) to keep anybody who truly wants to stay.

Chill out, donate to whatever charitable causes you want to donate to, and don't begrudge those who want to do the same.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2023, 03:24:52 PM »

The University of Memphis and Marquette University have distinctly different mission statements. Putting it plainly, Memphis NIL program does not need to set up any sort of charitable efforts to funnel money to their athletes. Two completely different situations.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2023, 03:36:02 PM »
The University of Memphis and Marquette University have distinctly different mission statements. Putting it plainly, Memphis NIL program does not need to set up any sort of charitable efforts to funnel money to their athletes. Two completely different situations.

I suppose you're talking about the theoretical world, but their NIL fund is setup the exact same way:
https://www.901fund.org/post/901-funds-nil-efforts

panda

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2023, 04:10:06 PM »
I suppose you're talking about the theoretical world, but their NIL fund is setup the exact same way:
https://www.901fund.org/post/901-funds-nil-efforts

Set out the same. Mission carried out much differently as you can plainly see below.

Bowling With Basketball was a successful event, Memphis Tiger basketball players had a great time meeting Tiger fans. The players got the opportunity to take part in the event as an NIL deal and they spoke to media outlets about the upcoming season.
While at the event, Alex Lomax officially stated that he was back on the Memphis Basketball team for his final year. He talked about his excitement to return the Memphis court and how he has so much pride in wearing "Memphis" across his chest for one last season.

“This is the best thing we can do," MU Men's Basketball player Oso Ighodaro says. "Hang out with the kids, give them some positive influences and it's fun. We're just doing what we love with the kids and it's fun out here."

Also realizing I didn't answer the original posters question correctly. Memphis has big money donors (like Marquette does) but they're going out to get the biggest guys in the portal with that NIL Money. BTD fund is meant to keep players like Kam at the school. Shaka has made it clear he doesn't want to go after the guys in the portal with their hands out.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2023, 04:10:22 PM »

Most of it is likely coming from FedEx.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2023, 04:23:08 PM »
So did Chones have a bad relationship with Al when he left for the ABA?

"I looked in his refrigerator and then I looked in my refrigerator"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2023, 04:27:14 PM »
Marcus Lemonis was sitting courtside in MSG with prominent MU administration officials.  I am sure there are things going on behind the scenes to ensure we can support our SA's in order to keep them at MU.

I wonder how many of the guys in our rotation are campers.
Have some patience, FFS.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2023, 04:32:01 PM »
Suckers.  Marquette has  a $1 billion dollar endowment.  I’ll support the team by going to games but they are doing quite well financially.  They’ve got plenty of money.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2023, 04:33:18 PM »
I know for volleyball some assistant coaching positions are basically minimum wage jobs to work like 80+ hours a week.  But they get compensated very well overall because they'll be paid off of the summer camps that the programs will run.

Could players eventually get paid for working the MUBB camps?  Or if it can't be from the school they go to, maybe they work local high school camps?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2023, 04:35:57 PM »
Suckers.  Marquette has  a $1 billion dollar endowment.  I’ll support the team by going to games but they are doing quite well financially.  They’ve got plenty of money.

You obviously have no idea how endowments work.
Have some patience, FFS.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2023, 04:37:39 PM »
They take .001 percent of endowment money from the hedge funds and they’ve got their athlete money.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2023, 04:38:24 PM »
They take .001 percent of endowment money from the hedge funds and they’ve got their athlete money.

You obviously have no idea how NIL works.

connie

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2023, 04:38:50 PM »
I don't understand the objection.  Don't all of these NIL collectives have to come up with some phony way to transmit the cash to the athlete?  I thought you still couldn't run afoul of "pay to play" so the athlete has to "do" something using their name image or likeness, their "brand" to get the transfer.  If that is to help out a charity instead of a gym or a car dealership, might as well be the charity. I guess my concern that the charity pay be competitive the other options.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2023, 04:42:31 PM »
The courts may declare athletes employees soon so direct payment may be coming anyway instead of the facade that’s there now.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2023, 05:03:34 PM »
You obviously have no idea how endowments work.
He's obviously not well (versed) endowed

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2023, 05:05:30 PM »
Ouch.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2023, 06:21:32 PM »
Set out the same. Mission carried out much differently as you can plainly see below.

Bowling With Basketball was a successful event, Memphis Tiger basketball players had a great time meeting Tiger fans. The players got the opportunity to take part in the event as an NIL deal and they spoke to media outlets about the upcoming season.
While at the event, Alex Lomax officially stated that he was back on the Memphis Basketball team for his final year. He talked about his excitement to return the Memphis court and how he has so much pride in wearing "Memphis" across his chest for one last season.

That appears to be an event to raise money for the fund - not paid performances by the athletes.  You don't have to like them, but they're doing the exact same thing as Marquette, maybe they're even doing it better..

https://choose901.com/901-fund-bowl-with-memphis-basketball/
The event will help raise money to continue supporting Memphis student-athletes in their efforts to promote 901-based charities in receiving exclusive content.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:23:22 PM by rocky_warrior »

feedback