'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tubby is out at Minnesota  (Read 22402 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: Tubby is out at Minnesota
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »
The longer both jobs remain open the more concerned I would be if I were LW because he is going to get a ration and a half of sh## if Buzz bolts. If they have mended fences, then we all have nothing to worry about.
It doesn't matter if BW and LW have "mended fences" as to whether or not Buzz takes another job. If UCLA comes calling, and Buzz talks to them, and ultimately takes that job, he and Larry could be bosom buddies and it wouldn't matter. Like Indiana, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky, UCLA is a "Top Tier" program and one that if you have a chance to get, very few turn down.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
There's so much at play here that it's impossible to know what's really going on...couple of possibilities:
1.  Buzz wants to leave for a big time school and is a complete fraud.
2.  Buzz wants to use his connections to have LW put in his place or fired.
3.  Buzz wants his name out there in the media to improve his salary.
4.  Buzz wants his name out there so when he's recruiting against a Oklahoma, UCLA, etc. he can say that he was offered that job, but would rather be at MU.
5.  Buzz said he'd stay as long as MU would have him, and it pisses him off that he has to repeat himself, so he won't.
6.  Buzz likes to screw with the media.
7.  Buzz regrets making the "I'll stay as long as they'll have me" comment, and is now trying to place blame on LW as a reason (legit or not) to leave.

If Buzz leaves, I don't think he's any better than TC.  I'm sure he'll leave with much more class, and I don't know how bad the rift with LW is, but you can't say what he says and then leave...all while preaching honesty, ethics, religion, etc. at every turn.  I am skeptical of people who push religion, as so many turn out to be frauds.  I hope UCLA throws the house at Buzz so we can see if he passes this test.

Someone also mentioned TC and how he never mentioned God.  I remember being at a scrimmage (think it was haunted hoops) when a student had recently been shot at a house party (I believe that was the story anyhow), and he asked everyone in the stands to join hands and he said a prayer.  Then stated something along the lines of how we don't have to be afraid to pray in public at a school like MU, or something on those lines as he was taking a shot at public schools.  He soon thereafter left for a public school.  My guess is God told him to leave the kids who made their biggest investment in life in him by choosing to come to MU to play for him. 

IMO, Avid sums it up wonderfully. I put it here for anyone who didn't see it in the other thread

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:55 PM »
Relax!  We have Buzz at least until the Final Four. Enjoy

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »
Maybe God's test for scoop is to pass a sweet 16 week having faith in Buzz, the team, and breaking down the game instead of biting on every time CBS types a name. A few years back I emailed the newspaper journalist in Oklahoma who reported Buzz's name and he flat out told me he just wrote his name, but had no idea.

You know why MN is a bad job (I'm from there, a gopher fan, and lived there the last 4 years)? They would hire Buzz, not give him the practice facility, not give him a private jet and still expect sweet 16's every year. The state doesn't like to spend money on sports (especially now), but loves to wonder why other big ten programs are so consistently competitive. Why not just enjoy the ride as long as Buzz is here, and for once enjoy this week like it's not our last.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »
A lot of guys would have to turn down the UCLA job for it to fall to Buzz. If UCLA is a job that "no one turns down," we have nothing to worry about there.

He's not leaving here to go to f'ing Minnesota. Please.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:33:06 AM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »
It doesn't matter if BW and LW have "mended fences" as to whether or not Buzz takes another job. If UCLA comes calling, and Buzz talks to them, and ultimately takes that job, he and Larry could be bosom buddies and it wouldn't matter. Like Indiana, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky, UCLA is a "Top Tier" program and one that if you have a chance to get, very few turn down.

Really??? A lot of coaches have turned down UCLA. That's how they've ended up with Larry Farmer, Walt Hazzard, and Steve Lavin over the years.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »

A top tier program that flies Southwest for games?  I don't know if they also allow the head coach to take a chartered plane for recruiting, but if they don't allow it, don't underestimate the power of it. 

How many times has buzz talked about loving family?  That could definitely eat into family time if he is spending so much time in an airport.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:10 AM »
The Saturday after MU lost in the BE tournament, he flew to Tennessee to watch JuJuan Johnson play in the HS championship game, then to New Mexico to watch John Dawson play in his championship game, and was home late that night.  It makes a difference.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
I find even the suggestion that Minnesota is a better job than Marquette insulting. so laughable it's not worth considering

FIFY
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »
Minnesota isn't even in the same ballpark.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2013, 09:01:24 AM »
"The longer both jobs remain open the more concerned I would be if I were LW because he is going to get a ration and a half of sh## if Buzz bolts. If they have mended fences, then we all have nothing to worry about."

This is the stupidity that I will refuse to read this board if Buzz leaves....

TJ

• All American

TJ

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
Maybe God's test for scoop is to pass a sweet 16 week having faith in Buzz, the team, and breaking down the game instead of biting on every time CBS types a name. A few years back I emailed the newspaper journalist in Oklahoma who reported Buzz's name and he flat out told me he just wrote his name, but had no idea.

You know why MN is a bad job (I'm from there, a gopher fan, and lived there the last 4 years)? They would hire Buzz, not give him the practice facility, not give him a private jet and still expect sweet 16's every year. The state doesn't like to spend money on sports (especially now), but loves to wonder why other big ten programs are so consistently competitive. Why not just enjoy the ride as long as Buzz is here, and for once enjoy this week like it's not our last.
I also have faith in Buzz.  If UCLA asks and he says yes, then so be it, you can't blame the guy.  Otherwise he's staying put.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
Really??? A lot of coaches have turned down UCLA. That's how they've ended up with Larry Farmer, Walt Hazzard, and Steve Lavin over the years.

That would be like saying that a lot of coaches turned down Marquette, and thats how we wound up with Hank Raymonds and Rick Majerus. 

UCLA didn't "end up" with Larry Farmer, Walt Hazzard and Steve Lavin because a lot of other coaches turned them down.

They chose Larry Farmer and Walt Hazzard because they wanted to stay in the UCLA family and went with former players.  Farmer was a UCLA assistant for 8 years before then made him head coach. 

And you're really stretching with Steve Lavin.  Steve Lavin was named interim coach based on timing--Jim Harrick was fired in early November--about the worst time to try and run a search. When Lavin took UCLA to the Elite Eight in his first year, he got the job permanently.

None of these situations were the result of wide-scale searches where other big-time coaches turned them down.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »
ESPN LA lists Buzz as an Under The Radar Candidate.

But they also list Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, John Calipari (Kentucky), Tom Izzo (Michigan State), Phil Jackson (former Lakers coach), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke), Bill Self (Kansas), Roy Williams (North Carolina) as dream hires.

I.e. the author is making crap up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/ucla/post/_/id/13675/coaching-search-bring-out-the-phone-book

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
The Saturday after MU lost in the BE tournament, he flew to Tennessee to watch JuJuan Johnson play in the HS championship game, then to New Mexico to watch John Dawson play in his championship game, and was home late that night.  It makes a difference.

F'in A.  Makes a huge difference.  When you have bucks ($$, not Milwaukee) already, then it comes down to the quality of life, especially for someone like Buzz.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
That would be like saying that a lot of coaches turned down Marquette, and thats how we wound up with Hank Raymonds and Rick Majerus. 

UCLA didn't "end up" with Larry Farmer, Walt Hazzard and Steve Lavin because a lot of other coaches turned them down.

They chose Larry Farmer and Walt Hazzard because they wanted to stay in the UCLA family and went with former players.  Farmer was a UCLA assistant for 8 years before then made him head coach. 

And you're really stretching with Steve Lavin.  Steve Lavin was named interim coach based on timing--Jim Harrick was fired in early November--about the worst time to try and run a search. When Lavin took UCLA to the Elite Eight in his first year, he got the job permanently.

None of these situations were the result of wide-scale searches where other big-time coaches turned them down.

No, I'm not stretching at all. Every time the UCLA job opens up, we immediately see a dream list that includes Pitino, Calipari, Donovan, and even Coach K on a few occasions. And each time, those guys quickly say "no thanks" and we get down to more realistic options like Ben Howland. A very solid choice at the time, but hardly elite.

And why bring up MU??? This discussion is about the merits of the UCLA job.

Of course, UCLA is a plum job, but you're insane if you think every coach in America would crawl across broken glass for the opportunity to lead the Bruins. Simply not the case.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »

But they also list Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, John Calipari (Kentucky), Tom Izzo (Michigan State), Phil Jackson (former Lakers coach), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke), Bill Self (Kansas), Roy Williams (North Carolina) as dream hires.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/ucla/post/_/id/13675/coaching-search-bring-out-the-phone-book

Holy crap that is delusional.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »

And why bring up MU??? This discussion is about the merits of the UCLA job.

and here I thought this thread was about Tubby Smith getting fired in MN  ?-(

The Process

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
and here I thought this thread was about Tubby Smith getting fired in MN  ?-(

That was so 5 pages ago.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

Your point about having a plane at his disposal is valid. What I really like here, though, is learning that Buzz is going the extra mile for his newcomers due at MU this summer. Doesn't sound like the actions of a guy in any hurry to be leaving Milwaukee. I may be reading something into it that isn't there, but I take it as a good sign nonetheless.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
It's because your name has a-i-n-a in it.  That is changed to "ain't I dim" when you post, or in this case, quote you.

So basically I have to change my nickname to stop this. Goodie.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2013, 06:27:58 PM »

Donovan's contract includes a clause that he and his agent "can not directly or indirectly explore, negotiate or discuss any employment with any other school or professional team" without the written permission of athletic director Jeremy Foley.

How would that even be enforceable?

College coaching contract discussions are the biggest guessing game. I've seen reports that Buzz makes $1m to $2.8m per year.... Rumors about TC having a MSU clause in his contract at MU....

Nobody knows this stuff! It's all guesswork! Would be nice if this was as transparent as the terms of NFL players to at least end the speculation of what is/isn't in their contracts
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »
Donovan's contract includes a clause that he and his agent "can not directly or indirectly explore, negotiate or discuss any employment with any other school or professional team" without the written permission of athletic director Jeremy Foley.

How would that even be enforceable?

Ummm, in court.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »
Ummm, in court.
you can sign away your right to be offered employment elsewhere? Any lawyers here like to comment on that?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

feedback