'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Chris Otule Cause and Effect  (Read 3683 times)

🏀

• All American
The Chris Otule Cause and Effect
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »
As Buzz stated, Marquette and The Otule Family will seek the medical hardship waiver. Regardless of your opinion, if the hardship waiver is granted room for Otule will have to be made.

Scenario #1
No problem here. CO will take the last scholarship in the 13-14 class and Deonte Burton will be the only newcomer with Ferguson, Taylor and Dudley as your sophomore class. I don't see this likely. Too much interest in Kendrick Nunn, Duane Wilson and others.

Scenario #2
Buzz lands another recruit in 2013. Between this recruit and CO Buzz is oversigned. Burton and the new recruit will likely both be highly rated and shouldn't be 'Newbilled' for a lack of a better term. Jamil, Jamail, Blue, Gardner, Mayo, Taylor, Juan and Wilson will be upper classmen, not going to transfer. That leaves Ferguson, Taylor or Durley as one of the odd men out. This scenario seems likely. However, Marquette has been linked with multiple mid-season transfers.

Scenario #3
Buzz lands a mid-season transfer, Marquette has has never been mentioned this much before as a destination for these transfers so I believe the staff has made it known they are looking. The transfer takes Thomas' scholarship this year, but Marquette is oversigned next season leaving Juan, Wilson, Mayo to transfer or Taylor, Ferguson or Durley to not show up. Without any other roster turmoil, Buzz would not have room for any other 2013 recruits either.

Seems like to me that with Marquette's interest in the 2013 class, mid-season teamster's interest in Marquette and Buzz's plan for Chris Otule, someone is going to have to give.

Anything I am missing?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:31:51 AM by marqptm »

denverMU

• All American
Re: The Chris Otule Cause and Effect
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »
I don't discount what you say, but my question is, how do schools like Syracuse and Louisville have 20 and 17 players on their rosters(who seem to play) and we seem limited to 13-14 players?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:20:59 AM »
I don't discount what you say, but my question is, how do schools like Syracuse and Louisville have 20 and 17 players on their rosters(who seem to play) and we seem limited to 13-14 players?

13 is the limit. Syracuse has six walk ons. Louisville has three.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
So,if we have people who want to transfer, why can't they be walk ons?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:30:35 AM »
So,if we have people who want to transfer, why can't they be walk ons?

They would have to pay for their tuition, room, board, books, etc. Walk ons are almost never have caliber players.

In the past our walkons have been Rob Frozena, Tommy Brice, Rob Hanley, Shane Grube, Jared Sichting, Andy Freund, etc. Practice players who get occasional blowout minute(s).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:35:28 AM by marqptm »

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
I highly doubt that Mayo will transfer - it's probably much more likely that Jamail would transfer.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:48:54 AM »
Your missing my point, Syracuse and Louisville have 20 and 17 players and their extra players are scholarship type players not Rob Frozena types.  There would be no need to have 7 extra "Frozena"players on Syracuse bench.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »
Thats why this is terrible.

We dont need Otule in two years.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:14:44 AM »

Disagree. Have you seen what those fifth year seniors did at ND last year? I love the idea of a sixth year Otule. If he's granted the waiver, we'll probably have the best defensive center in the league in tandem with Gardner, and by then it wouldn't surprise me if we could play them together for stretches. Durley off the bench, and no expectations out of him until his junior year.

It still wouldn't surprise me to see a transfer in this year. The open scholarship combined with a transfer out, maybe someone who just doesn't feel there's enough room for them here or who hasn't been able to break into the lineup consistently and sees more threats to their minutes in the 2012 class.

As far as the Otule scholarship...I think that will work itself out after next year. When Todd Mayo leads us in scoring and looks at his birth certificate and sees he's 22, I think there's a good chance he declares for the draft. I know some will disagree, but I can't see him playing more than three years here, and two is more likely. He knows that his best shot at a paycheck is in the NBA, and all it would take is one monster season, especially with his last name and the exposure the Big East gets. A down conference combined with 45% of our scoring graduating leaves a lot of room for him to fill the basket.

Leaves us with no more schollies for 2013, but that potentially puts both Jamal Branch and Chris Otule on the roster in 2013-14, and even if there's no Branch, we have a shot at guys like Kendrick Nunn, Duane Wilson, Stevie Clark, Jaylon Tate, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Monte Morris, or (please please please) Johnathon Williams III.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:08:23 AM »
scenario 3. MU has an open scholarship, so Thomas's scholarship does not effect a transfer in. Two transfers in would be a problem. I do not think they could take Thomas's scholarship away at midseason. Based on the fact that scholarships are one year renewable.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »
scenario 3. MU has an open scholarship, so Thomas's scholarship does not effect a transfer in. Two transfers in would be a problem. I do not think they could take Thomas's scholarship away at midseason. Based on the fact that scholarships are one year renewable.

Right on all counts. We have an opening this year, but to take someone this year, it would mean someone currently scheduled to be here next year won't be. As of right now, Otule is scheduled to take the open schollie in 2013-14, if he is granted his waiver.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
There is always the possiblity that Chris pays his own way to play a 6th year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »

If Jordan's kids or Doc's kids aren't paying their own way, I don't see someone like Chris doing such.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
Your missing my point, Syracuse and Louisville have 20 and 17 players and their extra players are scholarship type players not Rob Frozena types.  There would be no need to have 7 extra "Frozena"players on Syracuse bench.

I would disagree that they are scholarship type players. They might be better than Frozena, but it's not like they are stashing 3 and 4 star players as walkons that are significant contributors.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »

I think you underestimate what a healthy big man at that age could do for the team. Stressing the healthy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »
I wouldn't doubt that there will be a transfer after each of the next two seasons.  I have no information, just basing it on what has occurred in previous years.  So I think even with Otule staying, we could sign one or two players for 2013-14.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »
I wouldn't doubt that there will be a transfer after each of the next two seasons.  I have no information, just basing it on what has occurred in previous years.  So I think even with Otule staying, we could sign one or two players for 2013-14.

That's scenario #4, agreed.

I think the scenario I am seeing is Durley isn't coming though or is coming later.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
I think you underestimate what a healthy big man at that age could do for the team. Stressing the healthy.

+1.  CO could be defensive POY in the BE in two years.  DG at his side and an underclassman big.........that could be a force to be reckonded with.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »
It's a big if but ...

If Otule is healthy, I absolutely want him for two more years. He is a difference maker who would be a real MAN then.

And don't forget that a lot can happen between now and the end of next season, when Otule would apply for the extra year. Mostly, he could change his mind about wanting to play a 6th year. Speculating is fun ... and it's one of the reason these sites exist ... but it's just gotta play out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »
JB says, For there size they are as good as anyone in the league. We need an enforcer at power forward.

john31

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »
I think Marqptm hits the nail on the head, when he suggests that Durley will come latter. A year in prep school would do wonders for everybody.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »
I think Marqptm hits the nail on the head, when he suggests that Durley will come latter. A year in prep school would do wonders for everybody.

My guess is that if he isn't here next fall, he will never be here.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »

By that time Chris should have graduated.  I'm not sure what the minimum credit requirements are for eligibility, but he could potentially be paying by the credit for 1 or 2 classes at that point, which would be significantly less than full tuition.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »
By that time Chris should have graduated.  I'm not sure what the minimum credit requirements are for eligibility, but he could potentially be paying by the credit for 1 or 2 classes at that point, which would be significantly less than full tuition.

If he graduated, he would have to enroll in graduate school.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
Exactly he could help IF hes healthy. Point is he might notn be and we could use the schollie on younger talent and we are already going to have a great team that year
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback