Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 28612 times)

Daniel

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2022, 04:42:28 PM »
I don't have some detailed analysis of whether most UW fans consider us a rival or vice versa.  Frankly, I don't even care.  But I could easily write a 200 page dissertation about why I hate that program with a passion. 

The funny thing is during my first year of grad school in Madison I was totally willing to root for them as my 2nd favorite hoops team behind Marquette.  Let's just say that ship sailed pretty quickly for a myriad of reasons.  I know I shared this story on the other MU website but perhaps I have not here.   This is what brought me to a full fledged  hater with zero apologies:

About 11-12 years ago I was having dinner at the Avenue Bar with friends and sitting next to me was a member of the Madison Sports Media (a.k.a the trio of trash/ignominious triumvirate).    I was enjoying my wedge salad  and a nice Oktoberfest brew until I couldn't help overhear the conversation next to me.  I honestly didn't know who the guy was initially, but he was clearly a local sports writer as he was obnoxiously talking about his relationship with Bo Ryan and a number of other things for the purpose of letting everyone know his "celebrity" in Madison. 

It didn't bother me and I continued eating my salad until he started waxing poetic about Marquette and in particular Darius Johnson Odom.  He proceeded to rip the young man to shreds, calling him a Juco moron, a head case, overrated, and a number of additional derogatory remarks.  He also added and I quote "Marquette has a terrible APR score and probably won't be eligible for the tournament come the Spring."

This is when I had enough.  I stood up, looked him straight in the eye, and said "You realize you have no fking idea what you're talking about and are a colossal a-hole"....with a few additional colorful words.  He proceeded to be stunned as I am not a large individual and he just didn't see this coming at all.  Anyway, he got his fat ass off his chair, was very close to starting a physical altercation with me, until he saw my friend  beside me.  :)  You see my buddy (while a peaceful individual) is 6'4 225 and not exactly a person you fk with.  :)

Anyhow, that brought me to absolutely loathing that program.  I also alerted that piece of garbage that APR scores are public knowledge and that lying as a "media member" should result in his immediate termination.  This I just one of 100+ stories I have that has increased my hostility for the Badgers.

Nice story, Muggsy!  Pompous asses are hard to deal with. And you let him have it.    Good thing your busy was with.   How was the Oktoberfest brew?   Loo

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2022, 04:45:43 PM »
Note to self: Never, ever screw with Muggsy.

Edit: especially when he is accompanied by his bodyguard.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 04:48:21 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »
A wedge needs blue cheese!

DITTO  +100000000000

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2022, 06:19:21 PM »
DITTO  +100000000000

Blu Cheese, btw, for those of us who are cultured. And it smells like Yadi's decade old catcher's gear.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »
I don't have some detailed analysis of whether most UW fans consider us a rival or vice versa.  Frankly, I don't even care.  But I could easily write a 200 page dissertation about why I hate that program with a passion. 

The funny thing is during my first year of grad school in Madison I was totally willing to root for them as my 2nd favorite hoops team behind Marquette.  Let's just say that ship sailed pretty quickly for a myriad of reasons.  I know I shared this story on the other MU website but perhaps I have not here.   This is what brought me to a full fledged  hater with zero apologies:

About 11-12 years ago I was having dinner at the Avenue Bar with friends and sitting next to me was a member of the Madison Sports Media (a.k.a the trio of trash/ignominious triumvirate).    I was enjoying my wedge salad  and a nice Oktoberfest brew until I couldn't help overhear the conversation next to me.  I honestly didn't know who the guy was initially, but he was clearly a local sports writer as he was obnoxiously talking about his relationship with Bo Ryan and a number of other things for the purpose of letting everyone know his "celebrity" in Madison. 

It didn't bother me and I continued eating my salad until he started waxing poetic about Marquette and in particular Darius Johnson Odom.  He proceeded to rip the young man to shreds, calling him a Juco moron, a head case, overrated, and a number of additional derogatory remarks.  He also added and I quote "Marquette has a terrible APR score and probably won't be eligible for the tournament come the Spring."

This is when I had enough.  I stood up, looked him straight in the eye, and said "You realize you have no fking idea what you're talking about and are a colossal a-hole"....with a few additional colorful words.  He proceeded to be stunned as I am not a large individual and he just didn't see this coming at all.  Anyway, he got his fat ass off his chair, was very close to starting a physical altercation with me, until he saw my friend  beside me.  :)  You see my buddy (while a peaceful individual) is 6'4 225 and not exactly a person you fk with.  :)

Anyhow, that brought me to absolutely loathing that program.  I also alerted that piece of garbage that APR scores are public knowledge and that lying as a "media member" should result in his immediate termination.  This I just one of 100+ stories I have that has increased my hostility for the Badgers.

You're friends with Jack Reacher?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2022, 06:55:07 PM »

(I'm glad it's a giant sized image!)

Viper

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2022, 07:00:41 PM »
I too went to UW-Madison for grad school after finishing my undergraduate yeas at Marquette. This was in the early 1990's. I was enjoying the Union Terrace on a nice spring day, having a brat and some beers, when the conversation at the table suddenly started turning to Marquette. One guy at the table did not realize I had gone there and started to bitch about the state legislature given the Marquette Dental School some funding in the state education budget. He proceeded to complain about a private university getting state funds. I asked him what public dental schools exist in the state of Wisconsin and of course he didn't know. I told him that Marquette had the only dental school and that anyone can come in and get free dental services as part of the condition for the funding. He then proceed to complain that even so, the state shouldn't be giving any money to a school full of rich kids. Now, this may have changed over the years, but at the time Marquette only had about the 8th or 9th highest per capita family income among student families among Wisconsin colleges. The school with the highest per-capita family income at the time? UW-Madison.
I again proceeded to tell this guy he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and that he might want to beef up on some facts rather than stupid stereotypes.

I have a son who is now considering both Marquette and UW-Madison for college. I have told him that he is fine to pick either one but that if he does go to UW that he knows I will never root for Badger basketball even while he is there.
my Dad was head of Perio at MU back in the day. F the Badger

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »

Ziggy, what can I say?  I like to have large friends around me that can take out douchebags in seconds if the need arises.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2022, 07:04:24 PM »

This appeara tp be the correct answer and what I had that day before I was so rudely interrupted.  My wedge had ranch but with a nice amount of blue cheese crumbles.  Although grape and cherry tomatoes are highway robbery and there are better options.  :)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2022, 07:05:11 PM »
Smithy will probably chime in with some ignorant, inappropriate analysis of his mental health, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2022, 07:23:59 PM »
I too went to UW-Madison for grad school after finishing my undergraduate yeas at Marquette. This was in the early 1990's. I was enjoying the Union Terrace on a nice spring day, having a brat and some beers, when the conversation at the table suddenly started turning to Marquette. One guy at the table did not realize I had gone there and started to bitch about the state legislature given the Marquette Dental School some funding in the state education budget. He proceeded to complain about a private university getting state funds. I asked him what public dental schools exist in the state of Wisconsin and of course he didn't know. I told him that Marquette had the only dental school and that anyone can come in and get free dental services as part of the condition for the funding. He then proceed to complain that even so, the state shouldn't be giving any money to a school full of rich kids. Now, this may have changed over the years, but at the time Marquette only had about the 8th or 9th highest per capita family income among student families among Wisconsin colleges. The school with the highest per-capita family income at the time? UW-Madison.
I again proceeded to tell this guy he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and that he might want to beef up on some facts rather than stupid stereotypes.

I have a son who is now considering both Marquette and UW-Madison for college. I have told him that he is fine to pick either one but that if he does go to UW that he knows I will never root for Badger basketball even while he is there.

Very interesting story Norm.  Ty.  I have great friends in Madison and am grateful for my professors there.  But I will tell you I heard quite a bit of nonsensical elitism and vitriol towards Marquette while I was there.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2022, 07:26:36 PM »
The fact that so many Badgers fans sitting near me at the games on Friday were so thrilled about watching that disgrace of a game just solidified my dislike of the program. Here were thousands of people getting excited for making a comeback vs Colgate University...when they should have blown the doors off of that team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »

Looks normal on phone.  No bacon. Lettuce looks wilted. Not a Golden Sweet Cherry tomato (looks like Costco). No Blu Cheese chunks so processed dressing. I give it a 2. Wojoesque.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2022, 07:38:26 PM »
Looks normal on phone.  No bacon. Lettuce looks wilted. Not a Golden Sweet Cherry tomato (looks like Costco). No Blu Cheese chunks so processed dressing. I give it a 2. Wojoesque.

Fair points.  I missed the no bacon.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2022, 08:02:03 PM »
As a Wisconsinite and MU alum, I often wonder how much hate there actually is between the two schools. Would be interesting to know if it is just the MU alums that hate UW or if it goes both ways between alumna. When I was a kid I liked them both but favored MU because UW sucked in the 80s and early 90s. Now I’m kind of apathetic to UW but don’t feel extreme hate towards them. Maybe the Wisconsinite in me? There is a tweet out there by local sports radio host calling it little bro syndrome for MU fans that hate UW. Is this true or does the hate go both ways? Is this hate from MU alumni that are Wisconsin residents or non? I don’t feel like it’s hate from non-alumna as I have friends that may favor one but support both. Overall just pondering this as a curiosity as this rivalry doesn’t seem as deep as other inner state rivalries. Maybe because we don’t have football which would deepen that rivalry. Maybe worth a poll. Interested in thoughts on this one.

Wisconsin is the only Division I football team in the state.
UW fans hate that they aren't the only Division I basketball team in the state.
They hate even more when they lose to Marquette.
They hate when Marquette gets any kind of attention.
But their fans call Marquette "little brother."
It's cute.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2022, 08:11:42 PM »
I had an online Oates occurrence when he took a shot at Iowa for losing to Villanova in the 2016 NCAA Tournament saying it was a bad look to lose to a Jay Wright coached team in March.  He was pretty quiet after the national title game

What a complete fkbag.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2022, 07:17:49 AM »

OMG!  Exactly what I was thinking when I read his post.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2022, 08:58:15 AM »
As I understood it, coming out of high school, Johnny was more the basketball star and Jordan was the football star. I assume Paul Chryst could find room on the football team for Jordan if that would keep everyone happy.

As a guy who calls games on radio in their HS conference, Johnny was a QB and the better football player. Jordan was a WR. Neither played on defense.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 09:05:40 AM by Eye »
GO WARRIORS!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2022, 02:26:56 PM »
I don't understand the obsession with UW. Mostly sounds like an inferiority complex.

I grew up in Wisconsin and have been a Marquette fan since I was a little kid. The only time I ever had any interest in Wisconsin was when a couple guys I knew and had played against went there. Really, though, the interest was in the guys I knew - not the team. I just never cared if they won or lost.

It is so nuts here that one poster went on about the reason he hates UW is because of a..., sportswriter? We have poster after poster trash talking UW while others here post that they hate UW fan for, you guessed it, trash talking.

Get over it, guys. I don't know what is worse - the UW obsession by Marquette fans or the vitriol towards Marquette after they lost in the tourney.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2022, 02:29:38 PM »
You clearly don't work in an office crawling with asshat badger fans.  They never shut up.  They keep the rivalry alive even when we try to mind our own business.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2022, 02:38:41 PM »
You clearly don't work in an office crawling with asshat badger fans.  They never shut up.  They keep the rivalry alive even when we try to mind our own business.

Don't get triggered so easily. Live with the knowledge that you have better taste than they do. And when we are the better team in a year or two, let the MU memorabilia in your office do the talking for you.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2022, 02:40:47 PM »

Just tell them Whitewater isn't eligible for the tournament.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2022, 02:49:01 PM »
Don't get triggered so easily. Live with the knowledge that you have better taste than they do. And when we are the better team in a year or two, let the MU memorabilia in your office do the talking for you.

Yeah, I'm not easily triggered.  But they are relentless.  You know, like rodents tend to be.  And so arrogant.

And most of them are actually from the UW-Madison extension, not the UW-boonies.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2022, 03:05:23 PM »
I think it’s beyond sports too. I remember making my college decision. As someone who had decent grades and lived in Wisconsin the expectation was you go to UW. Even teachers asking “Well, why wouldn’t you go to Madison?” Almost making you justify your decision.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2022, 03:11:36 PM »
I think it’s beyond sports too. I remember making my college decision. As someone who had decent grades and lived in Wisconsin the expectation was you go to UW. Even teachers asking “Well, why wouldn’t you go to Madison?” Almost making you justify your decision.

I had a friend I ran CC with decide against going to Madison.  I remember specifically the parent of a mutual friend AND a student advisor make a comment like "Madison is very competitive, most can't get in" with the assumption that clearly that was the reason...he chose to go to Michigan cause they offered more money than Wash U, clearly didn't have what it takes  ::)