[Today at 10:58:59 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8612542 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/18
« Reply #15425 on: December 26, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »
Interesting article in Milwaukee Journal Sentinel this morning..think we should take a flier.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/high-schools/2018/12/26/alex-antetokounmpo-younger-brother-giannis-makes-name-himself/2366906002/

Alex is off to a strong start this season.  He's worth monitoring.   Much better than Kostas at the same point.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15426 on: December 26, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
I know that you meant Henry but seeing Wally listed with those other guys gave me a chuckle.

Haha i realized that too
Kangaroo kid didnt belong
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15427 on: December 26, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
This is an excellent post...I have said all along, Wojo is doing a very good job recruiting...However, at some point, he HAS to land consensus top 50 recruits, and beat out the likes of UNC, Duke, Kansas etc, before MU can really be considered "elite". It's great that he can be a "finalist", but that means nothing in the end, unless you actually land them.

Exactly.
Wojo can sell everything the other top schools can... History, charters, Conference, Nba, arena, etc etc.  But until he starts winning he is only selling a vision and its hard for a kid and a family to take that leap of faith on a vision alone.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15428 on: December 26, 2018, 03:39:05 PM »
Exactly.
Wojo can sell everything the other top schools can... History, charters, Conference, Nba, arena, etc etc.  But until he starts winning he is only selling a vision and its hard for a kid and a family to take that leap of faith on a vision alone.

Yes we can totally sell our history against the like of duke Kansas and unc. Come on don't encourage gurus craziness. If wojo gets nova success we can sell our history against Louisville, UConn and Nova but we'd still be sitting well south of the programs you guys are referring to
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15429 on: December 26, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
Why?  Besides, there are maybe 4 or 5 ELITE programs.  We're aren't one, and that's ok.  ELITE means they stay that way regardless of who the coach is.  Is UCLA elite?  Nope.  Indiana?  Nope, not right now at least.  We'll see what happens when Coach K leaves.   

There are plenty of very good, high high major programs that are fantastic programs that aren't always landing top 50 recruits all the time.  And let's not forget those schools turnover rosters damn year every year as a result. 

I'll take stability. I want great players, but in the long run I'll settle for very good with very good players that aren't spinning out every 9 month months. 

If you can live in the 51 to 100 range, you can be damn good.  Gonzaga, has had ONE top 50 recruit in 8 years, as an example.

Typical horrible contradictory just to be contradictory post by chicos.  Dont think anyone said anything about becoming the next 1 and done factory like UK or Duke.   What was talked about was those top 50 type recruits we have missed on.  The types if recruits that are on rosters like nova and providence right now.  The type if kids a syracuse or a louisville gets.  Nwora is a great example  of a realky nice player that we missed out on.  No one said anything about a blue blood.  It more about targeting the Nwora’s or those types that having to recruit the Sacars.  Taking ur program from top 40 to top 20 and ghe types of players that they are more able to target.
Keep your douchebaggery to yourself.  I read this last post of yours and recall your supposeded inward reflection of your post from the past and once a dbag always a dbag. Ur participation was not missed, get professional help for your insecurities.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15430 on: December 26, 2018, 03:47:42 PM »
Yes we can totally sell our history against the like of duke Kansas and unc. Come on don't encourage gurus craziness. If wojo gets nova success we can sell our history against Louisville, UConn and Nova but we'd still be sitting well south of the programs you guys are referring to

Correct i didnt mean to put mu in that vein.  Imo it would be great and acheivable to be in the same lanes as a nova, syracuse, louisville, etc.  top 20 program. Frankly a xavier of the last 15 or provi. of the last 5-6
  Top 5 not sure im crazy about the UK or Duke models of today anyway
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 03:50:26 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15431 on: December 26, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »
This is an excellent post...I have said all along, Wojo is doing a very good job recruiting...However, at some point, he HAS to land consensus top 50 recruits, and beat out the likes of UNC, Duke, Kansas etc, before MU can really be considered "elite". It's great that he can be a "finalist", but that means nothing in the end, unless you actually land them.

He has......Beat out Kentucky for Henry......beat out Izzo for Joey. You wouldnt include Virginia even though they have been a top 5-10 team for years but we beat out Bennett for both Sam and Joey. Virginia seems pretty Elite to me.......that would be a nice eventual goal for MU.....to be at that level......they have done it without 5 stars.....haven't beaten out Kentucky or Kansas for many guys.....no one and dones.

Nova became Elite by winning 2 NC in 3 years.........they beat out one blueblood for Brunson......maybe 1 for Spellman.....Wright has been there since 2001.

Lots of coaches have landed 5 star guys and it has not made their programs "Elite". 1 year of Grimes would have been nice.....although he certainly hadn't been much of a difference maker so far.....I'll take 4 years of Markus Howard, Sam and Joey Hauser......and be very happy.

I hope we get one of the in State studs but when a kid can go wherever he wants the odds are against you.......Wojo is giving it his best shot...'(.just like Buzz and Crean did before him ) with the top in state talent. They all got some and lost others........

We aren't going to recruit like Kansas.......our salary cap isn't big enough.

Just enjoy the season and what this group of kids and coaches  is giving us now......or we could take the view that we aren't "elite" so who really cares.?......eventually the season will end and we won't win the championship.............we aren't elite.....nothing else matters.....fire Wojo.....maybe we can get Shaka because he has been so great at Texas?

Maybe become a Duke fan?

Just recruit good players that fit the culture......and win......The best player in MU history didn't fit your criteria......

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15432 on: December 26, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
I would put Virginia in that same category that i had prviously mentioned.  Not sure why people take what i say and immediately jump to 1 and done and 5 stars.  I never siad “5 star” or “1 n dun” in any post. 
In fact i used a Nwora versus Sacar as an example of level of recruit.  Nwora was a top 50-75 recruit and most likely will play at least 3 years of collge ball.  Very similar to my ither examples of the Hausers n Markus. 
Distort away.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15433 on: December 26, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
Typical horrible contradictory just to be contradictory post by chicos.  Dont think anyone said anything about becoming the next 1 and done factory like UK or Duke.   What was talked about was those top 50 type recruits we have missed on.  The types if recruits that are on rosters like nova and providence right now.  The type if kids a syracuse or a louisville gets.  Nwora is a great example  of a realky nice player that we missed out on.  No one said anything about a blue blood.  It more about targeting the Nwora’s or those types that having to recruit the Sacars.  Taking ur program from top 40 to top 20 and ghe types of players that they are more able to target.
Keep your douchebaggery to yourself.  I read this last post of yours and recall your supposeded inward reflection of your post from the past and once a dbag always a dbag. Ur participation was not missed, get professional help for your insecurities.

Ironic since you just apologized for doing exactly that, comparing us to those types of schools that are 1 and done factories.

I don't think I said anything that was worthy of your complaint, but to each their own.  Some of us do try and change, and then there are others that do not.

I'm going to do you and I both a favor, and will put you on ignore.   You feel to do what you think is best for you.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:50:10 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15434 on: December 26, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »
Correct i didnt mean to put mu in that vein.  Imo it would be great and acheivable to be in the same lanes as a nova, syracuse, louisville, etc.  top 20 program. Frankly a xavier of the last 15 or provi. of the last 5-6
  Top 5 not sure im crazy about the UK or Duke models of today anyway

It would take a decade plus for us to get to those schools levels along with multiple additional Final Fours....mind you also that Syracuse and Louisville have been caught cheating by the NCAA.

Doesn't cost anything to dream and I'm all for getting there, but we have some walking to do before we run in my opinion.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #15435 on: December 26, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
I know that you meant Henry but seeing Wally listed with those other guys gave me a chuckle.

You weren't the only one.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #15436 on: December 26, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
Alex is off to a strong start this season.  He's worth monitoring.   Much better than Kostas at the same point.

Giannis said it himself, his brothers are all talented in different ways but he says Alex is the only one with the killer mentality that he has

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #15437 on: December 26, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »
I think MUs path to success will be the UVA, Gonzaga, Butler (of old), etc... route.  When you think of teams like that you will always see great coaches that developed talent.  I worry much less about Wojo's recruiting then I do his coaching. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15438 on: December 26, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
Good picks TAMU Eagle.That would be MU version of Fab 5.That would be the Number 1 recruiting class in Country

Top 3 for sure but the way Duke and Kentucky recruit I'm not sure that one top 10 recruit would be enough to get it done. That class would be program changing. Only way you get a class like that done is if you convince guys like Strawther, Garcia, and Torrence to take smaller roles so in order to win a championship.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #15439 on: December 26, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »
Another factor that makes landing top level talent important is so we can keep Wojo (I'm getting ahead of myself assuming Wojo continues to win, but I'm thinking long-term here).

Many have pointed to Gonzaga, Butler, and Virginia as what MU can aspire to, but they have not won a national championship recently.  If we want to get to a legit national championship level we are going to need a couple big-time recruits.  I could see Wojo leaving for greener pastures IF he doesn't believe he can win here, much like when Crean left.

We don't need to annually land a top 10 guy (though it would be great if we can get to that level), but hopefully Wojo and MU can get to the level where if they see a potential fit with a top 50 recruit, they can go for it and have a decent shot of landing them.  Much like Villanova has done recently.  I have zero doubt we CAN get to this level if Wojo stays and we continue our success this season and next.

I would imagine it wears on Wojo and the staff to lose out on a Grimes-level recruit after sacrificing a lot of time on the recruiting trail.  Probably makes him think he needs to be a higher level program to actually land that caliber of players.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15440 on: December 26, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »
He has......Beat out Kentucky for Henry......beat out Izzo for Joey. You wouldnt include Virginia even though they have been a top 5-10 team for years but we beat out Bennett for both Sam and Joey. Virginia seems pretty Elite to me.......that would be a nice eventual goal for MU.....to be at that level......they have done it without 5 stars.....haven't beaten out Kentucky or Kansas for many guys.....no one and dones.

Nova became Elite by winning 2 NC in 3 years.........they beat out one blueblood for Brunson......maybe 1 for Spellman.....Wright has been there since 2001.

Lots of coaches have landed 5 star guys and it has not made their programs "Elite". 1 year of Grimes would have been nice.....although he certainly hadn't been much of a difference maker so far.....I'll take 4 years of Markus Howard, Sam and Joey Hauser......and be very happy.

I hope we get one of the in State studs but when a kid can go wherever he wants the odds are against you.......Wojo is giving it his best shot...'(.just like Buzz and Crean did before him ) with the top in state talent. They all got some and lost others........

We aren't going to recruit like Kansas.......our salary cap isn't big enough.

Just enjoy the season and what this group of kids and coaches  is giving us now......or we could take the view that we aren't "elite" so who really cares.?......eventually the season will end and we won't win the championship.............we aren't elite.....nothing else matters.....fire Wojo.....maybe we can get Shaka because he has been so great at Texas?

Maybe become a Duke fan?

Just recruit good players that fit the culture......and win......The best player in MU history didn't fit your criteria......

Mark...I have said this before, and I will say it again...yes, there were bluebloods recruiting Sam, Joey etc, BUT the caveat here is they were IN STATE kids...does that guarantee anything?? Of course not, but you have to admit that it makes things MUCH easier as far as landing a top recruit when they live in your home state. IF Wojo can start pulling top 50's(or higher) every couple years or so, from say North Carolina, or Texas or wherever out of state and supplement the roster with the Joey's, Sam's, Markus's of the world...THEN you start becoming elite. Yes, as someone stated below, Wojo may eventually feel like he needs to be at a higher program to recruit the truly elite kids(like Crean did), well...then it's up to him to make MU that program...it's up to him to change the perception of the program...and that starts with winning..at the highest levels...win Conference championships, go to sweet 16's, go to Elite 8's, continually get high seeds in the tournament...that should be the goal..a goal that is made MUCH easier by landing elite(maybe not one and done elite) recruits on a fairly regular basis. Even f they are a one and done and you think it's "the year" then why not??

Not that it's a relative example, but as good as MU is right now, and as good as they could be by the end of the year with a core of Joey, Sam and Markus, how mouth drooling good could they be if they had a Zion Williamson type to go with those 3??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15441 on: December 26, 2018, 08:48:30 PM »
You guys understand that Crean ultimately believed that he might have made a mistake. Even if it was still the right but close call in his mind, you can be certain that he has given Wojo  'the grass isn't always greener' speech.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15442 on: December 26, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
You guys understand that Crean ultimately believed that he might have made a mistake. Even if it was still the right but close call in his mind, you can be certain that he has given Wojo  'the grass isn't always greener' speech.
Crean got $20 million from Georgia. So we know that yard was well fertilized.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15443 on: December 26, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
Crean got $20 million from Georgia. So we know that yard was well fertilized.

Pretty sure Crean fertilizes up everything he touches, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #15444 on: December 26, 2018, 09:22:35 PM »

I've heard that, but ultimately he chose to leave MU and felt that was the best decision for him at the time.

I hope Wojo hears and believes Tom, but we won't know that answer for some time.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15445 on: December 26, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »
Mark...I have said this before, and I will say it again...yes, there were bluebloods recruiting Sam, Joey etc, BUT the caveat here is they were IN STATE kids...does that guarantee anything?? Of course not, but you have to admit that it makes things MUCH easier as far as landing a top recruit when they live in your home state. IF Wojo can start pulling top 50's(or higher) every couple years or so, from say North Carolina, or Texas or wherever out of state and supplement the roster with the Joey's, Sam's, Markus's of the world...THEN you start becoming elite. Yes, as someone stated below, Wojo may eventually feel like he needs to be at a higher program to recruit the truly elite kids(like Crean did), well...then it's up to him to make MU that program...it's up to him to change the perception of the program...and that starts with winning..at the highest levels...win Conference championships, go to sweet 16's, go to Elite 8's, continually get high seeds in the tournament...that should be the goal..a goal that is made MUCH easier by landing elite(maybe not one and done elite) recruits on a fairly regular basis. Even f they are a one and done and you think it's "the year" then why not??

Not that it's a relative example, but as good as MU is right now, and as good as they could be by the end of the year with a core of Joey, Sam and Markus, how mouth drooling good could they be if they had a Zion Williamson type to go with those 3??

They aren't ever going to get Zion Williamson unless he is an in state kid who doesn't want to leave home so you might want to just go root for Duke now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15446 on: December 26, 2018, 09:43:59 PM »
They aren't ever going to get Zion Williamson unless he is an in state kid who doesn't want to leave home so you might want to just go root for Duke now.

Well then, that settles it...unless the kid is in state and doesn't want to leave home, MU will NEVER land an out of state elite recruit. That's up to Wojo to make that happen, to change the perception of MU to sell them on his vision, so that it is possible. Without those types of recruits every once in awhile, MU will NEVER reach the upper levels of college basketball consistently...that's just the reality of it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15447 on: December 26, 2018, 09:55:09 PM »
Markus?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15448 on: December 26, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »
Well then, that settles it...unless the kid is in state and doesn't want to leave home, MU will NEVER land an out of state elite recruit. That's up to Wojo to make that happen, to change the perception of MU to sell them on his vision, so that it is possible. Without those types of recruits every once in awhile, MU will NEVER reach the upper levels of college basketball consistently...that's just the reality of it.

That's not Wojo's job........(to get elite level recruits.)....his job is to recruit the best players he can that want to play at Marquette and who fit the culture of the school......and then win with those players at a level, that is acceptable to the administration and the majority of the fan base.

By your logic Tony Bennett is a failure......Bo Ryan was a failure.......Mark Few is a failure.....Crean and Buzz were failures.

Bill Self gets lots of elite level recruits.......he is recruiting to a blue blood.....and still had to cheat to do it......ditto for Sean Miller.......

I find mind boggling that MU can be 10-2.....ranked in the top 20 in the country and all,you can do is whine about not having enough "elite level recruits" on the team.....I mean seriously.....beat the team you hate more then any other for the 2nd year in a row.......have a legitimate all American candidate running the show........things are good.......

I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy success........it's too bad.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15449 on: December 26, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »

I dontsee wojo going anywhere but a duke kansas ucla type program.  Duke and a few others.  He knows he has it as good as it gets sans a few programs