[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What do you drink while reading MUScoop?  (Read 10696 times)

lab_warrior

• All American
What do you drink while reading MUScoop?
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
Ganzer

If your Sources were any good your avatar would have Brian Cox, esteemed actor and proud Scot, savoring the taste of single malt than Alec Baldwin swilling a blend...

Breeding, taste, and erudition are always on display.

http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/scotch-pronunciation-guide-5836909#v963665072001

Glenlivet and Glenmorangie are my weapons of choice.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »
Ganzer

If your Sources were any good your avatar would have Brian Cox, esteemed actor and proud Scot, savoring the taste of single malt than Alec Baldwin swilling a blend...

Breeding, taste, and erudition are always on display.

Keefe -

I am surprised at your lack of refinement related to the wonderful world of blended scotch. I would not peg you as man to be done in by the "Hallmark Sweetest Day" type marketing created by the Scotch distillers during the 1970's in an effort to recapture the public's interest in the slowly fading scotch industry. The explosion of the single malt industry is one borne out of necessity in an effort to save market share in the liquor aisle.

The delicacy of a finely blended scotch, weaving intricate flavors and dialects through its pour, is not one to be scoffed at. If the fines grapes can be blended together to create wonderful wines that capture imaginations across the world, why cannot the same be said of fine malts and grains? In fact, as I am sure you know, most single malts derive not from a "single" malt, but rather a blend of the same malt type.

This is not to take away the joy of a delicious single malt scotch, such as the lovely Lagavulin depicted in your photo. Just don't crowd out the delightful blends that can compliment the nicest of single malts.

As with my post on psychology, I am not a master blender, but I play one on TV.

Try Balvenie 15 year old. It will make you forget the pedestrian scotches of which you speak. In actuality, I enjoy the 'morangie. But, the Balvenie 15 is a joy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:19:26 PM by MUCam »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »

Both excellent. I favour the Islay's with a particular fondness for Lagavulin and
Laphroaig but any of the eight stand up for me. A whiskey should be like a woman - feisty, fiery, and smouldering with a solid bite and no regrets in the morning.

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
All that Scotch talk caused me to pour some Highland Park 18

All that you describe fellow's plus a shiver of electricity down the spine
same effect as the touch of a sensuous Lassie.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
Aged whiskey is fine, but you all need to branch out, try sipping some aged tequila (rec'd: Don Agustin Anejo...though I need to try Casa Noble Anejo...heard it's great), or my favorite, a good aged rum (rec'd: Ron Centenario 20 yr, Costa Rica).  They might surprise your taste buds.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Aged whiskey is fine, but you all need to branch out, try sipping some aged tequila (rec'd: Don Agustin Anejo...though I need to try Casa Noble Anejo...heard it's great), or my favorite, a good aged rum (rec'd: Ron Centenario 20 yr, Costa Rica).  They might surprise your taste buds.

Chinaco ain't bad either.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:45:37 PM »
Where does Mount Gay fit in?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
Chinaco ain't bad either.

See, this is the kind of conversation we need! I'll add it to my list.

Where does Mount Gay fit in?

Haven't tried them, but the "extra old" and "1703" varieties look like they have potential. For white (mixing) rum I like Flor de Cana. 

And some confusion on whether you should stock up on Mount Gay rum or not...
http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/03/remy-denies-mount-gay-rum-distillery-closure/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:59:19 PM by rocky_warrior »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:26:49 PM »
See, this is the kind of conversation we need! I'll add it to my list.

Haven't tried them, but the "extra old" and "1703" varieties look like they have potential. For white (mixing) rum I like Flor de Cana. 

And some confusion on whether you should stock up on Mount Gay rum or not...
http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/03/remy-denies-mount-gay-rum-distillery-closure/

How much do these cost?  I've never actually tried aged rum or tequila, but would like to branch out for sure since these are my top two flavors. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 11:52:28 PM »
How much do these cost?  I've never actually tried aged rum or tequila, but would like to branch out for sure since these are my top two flavors.  

Probably better starting with Rum, though prices may vary regionally.  The Ron Cententario that I like, is hard to find at all in the US ($30-$40 in Costa Rica, for only the cost of a plane ticket!).  Probably the most accessible I find in CO are Zaya 12 yr($25-$35), Ron Zacapa 23 yr($35-45), Flor de Cana 18yr ($50-$60).

Tequila is a little more expensive.  Again, my recommendation is hard to find in the US (I know...I should stop that), but you should be able to find Don Julio Anejo ($55-65), Casa Noble Anejo ($50-$70), and per real chili....Chinaco Anejo ($60-$80?).

Honestly, I never thought of any tequila as something to sip until I was given a good bottle for Christmas last year...and then finished it in January (could have had something to do with Marquette's performance...hah)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:10:53 AM by rocky_warrior »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
Probably better starting with Rum, thought prices may vary regionally.  The Ron Cententario that I like, is hard to find at all in the US ($30-$40 in Costa Rica, for only the cost of a plane ticket!).  Probably the most accessible I fine in CO are Zaya 12 yr($25-$35), Ron Zapaca 23 yr($35-45), Flor de Cana 18yr ($50-$60).

Tequila is a little more expensive.  Again, my recommendation is hard to find in the US (I know...I should stop that), but you should be able to find Don Julio Anejo ($55-65), Casa Noble Anejo ($50-$70), and per real chili....Chinaco Anejo ($60-$80?).

Honestly, I never thought of any tequila as something to sip until I was given a good bottle for Christmas last year...and then finished it in January (could have had something to do with Marquette's performance...hah)

Thank you!  Well done Rocky!  I shall heed your advice and eventually try some of these.  Would it not be possible to order these online at all? 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
Online can be tricky, most online stores only ship wine, not Beer or Liquor.  But, if you're in the Chicago area you can likely find just about everything if you look hard enough.

Now, I should probably split this topic into the Superbar....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: What do you drink while reading MUScoop?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »
Keefe -

I am surprised at your lack of refinement related to the wonderful world of blended scotch. I would not peg you as man to be done in by the "Hallmark Sweetest Day" type marketing created by the Scotch distillers during the 1970's in an effort to recapture the public's interest in the slowly fading scotch industry. The explosion of the single malt industry is one borne out of necessity in an effort to save market share in the liquor aisle.

The delicacy of a finely blended scotch, weaving intricate flavors and dialects through its pour, is not one to be scoffed at. If the fines grapes can be blended together to create wonderful wines that capture imaginations across the world, why cannot the same be said of fine malts and grains? In fact, as I am sure you know, most single malts derive not from a "single" malt, but rather a blend of the same malt type.

This is not to take away the joy of a delicious single malt scotch, such as the lovely Lagavulin depicted in your photo. Just don't crowd out the delightful blends that can compliment the nicest of single malts.

As with my post on psychology, I am not a master blender, but I play one on TV.

Try Balvenie 15 year old. It will make you forget the pedestrian scotches of which you speak. In actuality, I enjoy the 'morangie. But, the Balvenie 15 is a joy.

Cam

It's important to note that single malts are indeed blended whiskies, too. It's just that all of those whiskies are malts from the same distillery. And blends are really a mixture of malt and grain varieties, which are rather different snorts, from many distilleries.

So, given that background I would say that I prefer the single malt blends over what are commonly marketed as blended whiskies which mix malt and grain products from a wide variety of sources. I'm not against a blend but I really do prefer the unique character of the single malts.

I know single malts began to get traction during the Reagan era the return of conspicuous consumption but you are looking at the US market. Single malts are the drink of choice in Scotland - they export the blends which leaven out the distinctive flavors that are the soul of every Scottish village. Single malts reflect the diversity of Scotland more than even the clan tartans for Scotland is much more a concept than a nation. In fact, most of the Scottish independence sentiment is largely anti-English. And a true Highlander would rather his favorite sister marry an Irishman or a Norseman than give up his local single malt for a lowland concoction.

My paternal grandmother was a West Highlander though born in Edinburgh and she doled out splashes of whiskey, single malt of course, to the bairns at bedtime or at the first hint of a cold. And every extended family celebration had copious quantities of Oban and a variety of the eight Islays.

But of the blends I would favor Rattray Cask Islay, Usquaebach, Islay Mist 17, and Haig's Dimple Pinch. These are bolder on the nose and palate and one can discern a discrete flavor profile that identifies their regional heritage that is lost in most of the large brands.

Oh, as for The Balvenie, it is a solid, family-owned Speyside which I rather enjoy. One should always support the family enterprises as they are become rarer.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 12:55:53 AM »

I'm off the sauce these days due to wound treatment drugs but soon enough I'll be able to imbibe. Which of these do you recommend as a starter? I have always wanted to learn more about this segment.

Death on call

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 01:08:46 AM »
I'm off the sauce these days due to wound treatment drugs but soon enough I'll be able to imbibe. Which of these do you recommend as a starter? I have always wanted to learn more about this segment.

See a few posts up, but I would probably probably grab a Ron Zacapa 23yr Rum first.  I'm really just starting with my Tequila sipping, but Don Julio Anejo is widely distributed and decent. 

Since you already know whiskey, this is for the other folks reading.  My recommendation with any sipping liquor is to pour in a glass (neat - no ice) and let sit for at least 10 min before tasting...lets some of the excess alcohol (heat) waft off.  If it's still a little "hot" for your taste buds, drop in an ice cube -- often the lower temperature and touch of water will really open up the flavors. 

MattP33

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:30 AM »
Having recently relocated to the South, I have taken to trying new bourbons.  I am certainly a Scotch man at heart but have had fun trying the new tastes that are presented by the small distilleries in middle Tennessee.  If it is Scotch in my glass, it will be Glenfiddich 15 Solera or Macallan 15.   It's hard to decide on a true favorite.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:37 AM »

Does anyone know that Cox actually played the first Hannibal Lechter?  

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »
Having recently relocated to the South, I have taken to trying new bourbons.  

It's an exciting segment these days, the trick is figuring out what is mass produced and cleverly marketed as "small batch" vs. the actual small batch guys. 

For example I was recently intrigued by "Tin cup bourbon" which was advertised as a Colorado product.  Held off on buying until I did research, and found out it was a mass produced MGP product (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrenceburg_Distillers_Indiana) that was bottled in Colorado (and cut with Colorado water).  I mean, perhaps still tasty (I don't know), but turned me off from buying.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 01:24:19 AM »
In general rum or tequila are my go to. I will not touch vodka. If I must have whiskey I need the sour mix to go with it. Crown and Sour is delicious.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »
Rocky, I noticed most of the rums you mentioned are darker.  Do you know of any white rums, that are aged?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 03:22:47 AM »
See a few posts up, but I would probably probably grab a Ron Zacapa 23yr Rum first.  I'm really just starting with my Tequila sipping, but Don Julio Anejo is widely distributed and decent. 

Since you already know whiskey, this is for the other folks reading.  My recommendation with any sipping liquor is to pour in a glass (neat - no ice) and let sit for at least 10 min before tasting...lets some of the excess alcohol (heat) waft off.  If it's still a little "hot" for your taste buds, drop in an ice cube -- often the lower temperature and touch of water will really open up the flavors. 

I'm not too keen on rum though that was something we swilled in high school in DC. I have some mates who are Longhorns and Aggies and they drink bourbon as their everyday beverage but reserve tequila and mezcals for special occasions. I have tried both and admire the complexities but much of the subtlety is lost on me. I know that as producers increased the anejo these mezcals took on qualities that made them more like cognac and less like whiskey.

My biggest concern with delving into tequila and mezcal is that all previous forays into that murky world have resulted in me waking up with a pair of panties on my head in a strange bed with an unknown tart passed out next to me and my body covered in unusual bruises and welts. Oh, and the Mexican Army Mariachi Band is marching around my head.

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 06:26:41 AM »
This is a very hard thread to read at 6am.  The descriptions alone make me want to try everything. 

I am a total scotch novice... having only owned one bottle of blended in my life.  I'd like to get into it more.

On the other hand, Rocky's recommendation of the Don Julio Anejo is perfect.  The aged variety that I've had in San Juan is great, and affordable.

As for me, generally, I'm a beer man... most any beer.  Prefer IPA, APA, or stouts.  Picking up my reserved bottle of KBS tomorrow evening.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 06:43:31 AM »
Kool-Aid.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »
Probably better starting with Rum, though prices may vary regionally.  The Ron Cententario that I like, is hard to find at all in the US ($30-$40 in Costa Rica, for only the cost of a plane ticket!).  Probably the most accessible I find in CO are Zaya 12 yr($25-$35), Ron Zacapa 23 yr($35-45), Flor de Cana 18yr ($50-$60).

Tequila is a little more expensive.  Again, my recommendation is hard to find in the US (I know...I should stop that), but you should be able to find Don Julio Anejo ($55-65), Casa Noble Anejo ($50-$70), and per real chili....Chinaco Anejo ($60-$80?).

About $60.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Spirits/Tequila/Chinaco/Chinaco-Tequila-Anejo/4154

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »
I'm not too keen on rum though that was something we swilled in high school in DC. I have some mates who are Longhorns and Aggies and they drink bourbon as their everyday beverage but reserve tequila and mezcals for special occasions. I have tried both and admire the complexities but much of the subtlety is lost on me. I know that as producers increased the anejo these mezcals took on qualities that made them more like cognac and less like whiskey.

My biggest concern with delving into tequila and mezcal is that all previous forays into that murky world have resulted in me waking up with a pair of panties on my head in a strange bed with an unknown tart passed out next to me and my body covered in unusual bruises and welts. Oh, and the Mexican Army Mariachi Band is marching around my head.

That's what I used to think until I tried fine tequilla. 

As I mentioned above,  Chinaco is a great choice.  Tres Generaciones Anejo is a good one too.  Great to sip on.  Smooth, with a superb finish.