Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FIVE Big East Schools make the NIT!  (Read 12902 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: FIVE Big East Schools make the NIT!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
Goose, again, I respect you a lot, but...
The entire league sans DePaul is playing in the postseason. That’s relevant for our league.

There’s far more danger in becoming entitled.

The K bloodline wouldn’t be in place here if the right people were not thinking like “big leaguers”.

But I’ll tell you what will witness the bloodline thinning and leaving....entitled fans who don’t get that it’s hard for anyone to win, even the Dukes and Kansases of the world. Our fans sit on their hands sometimes just because the opponent doesn’t have a ranking next to their name. That is idiotic and inexcusable, and I hope you are not one of those who have seen the promised land and feel it is your birthright. There is nothing cooler to me as a 1992 alum than to embrace 1977 and the ridiculous rich history of ‘70s Marquette basketball under Al. We will be back atop the mountain, so enjoy the climb.

Amen.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »
As much as this is a down year for the Big East. 9/10 teams playing in the NCAA/NIT is very impressive. I have pride in say that!
The success MU had in the NIT built momentum heading into this season. I think the other schools in the conference will benefit as well.

The reality is the Big East needs to do well in the non conference part of the season. Hard to improve once conference begins. So having that momentum and getting out of the gates strong is a positive for the whole league.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 08:26:52 PM »
Colt
I am enjoying the ride, but only interested in MU success. Creating a big time program takes a lot of things to happen and it starts at home. I have never seen a top program, collegiate or pro, that were excited about their foes having success. Truthfully, my post was meant as a positive. Time to focus on MU success and not worry if Providence sneaks out win in NIT or hoping DePaul’s feelings are not hurt.
Many can chew gum and walk at the same time. The Big East is my interest.  ;)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:40 PM »
Mr. Nielsen
Sorry, but I will miss the Creighton vs Loyola prize fight.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:31:53 PM by Goose »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »
Mr. Nielsen
Sorry, but I miss the Creighton vs Loyola prize fight.
It's all good!  ;D
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:21 PM »
Colt
I am enjoying the ride, but only interested in MU success. Creating a big time program takes a lot of things to happen and it starts at home. I have never seen a top program, collegiate or pro, that were excited about their foes having success. Truthfully, my post was meant as a positive. Time to focus on MU success and not worry if Providence sneaks out win in NIT or hoping DePaul’s feelings are not hurt.

Got it. No worries. I think the reason I get so ticked sometimes is an old story from my undergrad days. It was Logterman/Key/MAC freshman year and we were in a close game with a decent program...I think it was Dayton...and I stood (for like 30seconds) and cheered at a pivotal point in the game, and like 8 different ‘70s alums told me to sit down, and one said we would end up winning by 15. It came off as really entitled and clueless. Nobody wants us to be big-league more than I do. We are getting there. Don’t just enjoy the process. Scream your ass off. They just may hear you. Unless you’re the Northwestern “shrieker” gal...then you’ll be told to keep it down. Amen.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
Colt
I was at that groups first and last game and loved the progress that was made in four years. I did live the glory days, but the KO resurgence was reason to cheer. I was at Duke when they got clobbered and Kansas when they got whacked harder. That said, KO created a sense that we were not going to accept that anymore.
I cheered very hard back then because I felt a plan was in place. I think we are likely saying the same thing, but you are doing better job😀

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 08:43:55 PM »
-Bill Walton

1SE

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
Colt

Eh, but BE success directly impacts MU success. Better conference boosts MU SOS, NET, etc. Better conference = big national TV deal = better recruit. Better conference = more NCAA bids & more $$ for teams.

Huge difference being in a Major vs mid-Major conference. I'll gladly celebrate the success of any BE team (maybe except SH) because it impacts the likelihood of Marquette's success.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »
Eh, but BE success directly impacts MU success. Better conference boosts MU SOS, NET, etc. Better conference = big national TV deal = better recruit. Better conference = more NCAA bids & more $$ for teams.

Huge difference being in a Major vs mid-Major conference. I'll gladly celebrate the success of any BE team (maybe except SH) because it impacts the likelihood of Marquette's success.

And if you think Nova doesn't care about being in a major conference with other quality teams I suggest you go talk to Memphis...
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
Yup.  Even saw it this year as later in the year the fans weren't as much into it, needed to be pushed and pulled. I've seen it for years at UCLA games even when they've had 3 or 4 future NBA guys on the roster....fans begging to be entertained.  Need to be scrappy and hungry as a fan base.

Good point as to the waning MU vocal chords. I noticed this as well.

People may not get it, but our fans have to grow as fans too. It’s not just the players who have to grow and develop.

It’s like the #10 next to our name somehow earned us ensured success in the mind of the entitled. This mentality is why I love the racetrack...fans see an 8/5 MorningLine and jump on board this cant-lose horse. If I’ve done my homework, I see when some bad Even money favorite looks more like 20-1, and some 15-1 outsider has real excuses and should be 6-1 or lower. Races, like college basketball games, are competitive...so NEVER discount your competition...even if you’re just a lowly fan like me.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
1SE
Maybe I hold everyone on here to a high of a standard and assume things. Of course Villanova wants a great BE, but I do not believe they feel it is their job or jumping around over NIT bids. It is great for conference, but would prefer to focus on MU success. Again, I doubt many ‘Nova fans really care about five NIT bids. Obviously I am wrong because every poster has told me otherwise.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 08:54:47 PM »
Colt
I was at that groups first and last game and loved the progress that was made in four years. I did live the glory days, but the KO resurgence was reason to cheer. I was at Duke when they got clobbered and Kansas when they got whacked harder. That said, KO created a sense that we were not going to accept that anymore.
I cheered very hard back then because I felt a plan was in place. I think we are likely saying the same thing, but you are doing better job😀

Goose.
Following that group’s progress was maybe even more fun for me than going to the 2003 Final Four. I was taking some grad classes at Illinois, and watching Tony Miller singlehandedly breaking Pitino’s press was unreal. If Duke didn’t have a certain guy named Grant Hill, we could’ve made another Final Four. It looked so hopeless during those two blue-blood freshman road games. They just kept getting better and better.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
Colt
I agree. I literally was all in for KO’s years and was at all the tourney games. The Kentucky game was top five, post Al, memory to me. Good times!!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 08:59:56 PM »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/adamzagoria/status/1107460000912498688?s=21

DePaul is taking the CBI bid.

WV too.
Yep, I posted the bracket a couple post before yours. Good move for DePaul!
-Bill Walton

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »
Yep, I posted the bracket a couple post before yours. Good move for DePaul!

Sorry, missed it
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »
1SE
Maybe I hold everyone on here to a high of a standard and assume things. Of course Villanova wants a great BE, but I do not believe they feel it is their job or jumping around over NIT bids. It is great for conference, but would prefer to focus on MU success. Again, I doubt many ‘Nova fans really care about five NIT bids. Obviously I am wrong because every poster has told me otherwise.
It is true that most Nova fans could care less about 5 Big East NIT bids. I am sure that most fan bases feel the same way. No one is going around high fiving  this state of affairs.  The point being made is that having 5 NIT bids is better than having none. Look at our NIT run last year. The kids in the school got involved and nothing but positive things came about as a result of it.

Look at Creighton for example, if they win the first game they are set up for a rematch with Nebraska. That fan base is going to love that. All their young kids get a taste at playing in a game that means something and will be better off for it.

Yes as MU fans we don't care about them , But as Big East fans we do.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 09:31:25 PM »
Sorry folks, but I’m with Goose - at this point I am all about Marquette and how far they can go. I’m therefore opposed to any team they could possibly meet along the way.  The only other team I care about is Minnesota, and I imagine by Saturday (Thursday?) they will be out of the mix.

It’s MU’s chance to regain their mid-season form and show folks that they belong with the big boys.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
I can chew gum and walk at same time and hope MU goes very far and the Big East does well in the NCAA tournament (except against us) and in the NIT.

Not hard.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
I root for the Big East (except against us) with one exception. Seton Hall. They play too close to the edge of dirty for me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
Colt

Mostly agree, and I enjoyed that team.

Unfortunately, the biggest part of KO's personal plan was to do well so he could leverage it for his own future. Folks grumble sometimes about MU being looked at as a stepping-stone job, and if you think about it, that thought process began with KO. He played a big role with Marquette's hoops renaissance, and I'll always be grateful for that, but he was first and foremost about KO. All IMHO, of course.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 09:49:56 PM »
Goose-

You haven't lived until you have filled out an NIT bracket.   A $1 entry fee, winner take all bracket is a hoot!  Get about 5-10 people to do it and have some fun.

This year, it would be pretty cool if the NIT final four was all BE teams.  It would be like a mini Big East Tournament!

As a basketball junkie,  I enjoy the NIT as the quirky sidekick to the NCAA tournament.  It's not the big prize,  but it can still be a lot of fun.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2019, 09:50:04 PM »
I root for the Big East (except against us) with one exception. Seton Hall. They play too close to the edge of dirty for me.

Unless Seton Hall is playing Wisconsin, Kentucky, USC, or Virginia Tech.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 09:52:12 PM »

Unless Seton Hall is playing Wisconsin, Kentucky, USC, or Virginia Tech.

One of these things  is not like the others...

USC?

Admissions sleaziness? Harold Minor freethrow routine loathing?