[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8705176 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/19
« Reply #17850 on: June 07, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
Cormac Ryan was a 4-star recruit out of high school -- ranked #65 by ESPN, #68 by 247Sports, #79 by Rivals.

He's a 6-5, 170-pound guard. He averaged 8.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg and 1.9 apg in 28.5 mpg in his freshman season at Stanford, shooting 31.6% from 3-point range with a 45.7 eFG%.

Washington coach Mike Hopkins said Ryan "is a spot on shooter. He's a Kyle Korver type. If he gets a good shot there's a good chance it's going in."

Bobby Pragada, managing sports editor at The Stanford Daily student newspaper, called Ryan a "surprise" as a freshman, saying he's "come in and been in the starting lineup every game this season. He's also played the most minutes out of anyone on the team. He's playing 35-plus minutes a game, so there's rarely a time where you'll see the Stanford lineup without Cormac Ryan on the court. He's ball-handling, he's playing as a catch-and-shoot guy. It's such a versatile role."
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17851 on: June 07, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
Sign me up for Cormac

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17852 on: June 07, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »
So you take the best you can get, but you don't just take a guy, but you don't leave it open either?  OK

If the player you're taking is as good or better than someone(s), currently on the roster, you take them...if they aren't, you don't..it's that simple for me. And IF that's the case, then I'd rather have it open in case of a mid season transfer or for 2020, then to just take a "body", that will get Matt heldt type minutes.

I believe there are a handful of guys out there yet that are worth them taking(if the opportunity presented itself). Cormac Ryan is one of them.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17853 on: June 07, 2019, 11:25:48 AM »
Goe get 'im, Woj. Recruit like yo hare's on fire, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17854 on: June 07, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
Ryan would be a pretty solid late add on the transfer market. Year off to develop in the Brett Nelson school of shooting and I could see him being a contributor as soon as he's eligible.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MrCNote

• Walk-On
« Reply #17855 on: June 07, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
The 6-foot-5 Ryan is a native of New York as it will be interesting to see if he wants to transfer closer to home for his next destination.

Hard not to!!!! Unless he transfers to Hawaii

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #17856 on: June 07, 2019, 01:37:44 PM »
And, at Marquette, he'd be traveling to the New York area several times a year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17857 on: June 07, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
Goe get 'im, Woj. Recruit like yo hare's on fire, aina?

Just not like a female HS classmate of the guy you're recruiting had her hair set on fire.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17858 on: June 07, 2019, 05:10:44 PM »
So help me understand him guys.  He'll have 3 years after his sit out year?  Perhaps sliding into Sacar's 2/3 spot?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17859 on: June 07, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »
49/155 for 31.6% 3FG.

#ReturnOfTheCormac

PS - Greg Foster Jr is leaving Gonzaga. Always thought it was a surprising he wound up there.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #17860 on: June 07, 2019, 10:13:12 PM »
From Goodman

BREAKING: Isaiah Moss has re-opened his recruitment, source told @stadium. Iowa grad transfer had committed to Arkansas, but now back on board and all signs point to Kansas —the only other school he visited. If Jayhawks land Moss, they fill their biggest need: Perimeter shooting.

Chicago. Simeon.

Yes please.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17861 on: June 08, 2019, 05:21:25 AM »
From Goodman

BREAKING: Isaiah Moss has re-opened his recruitment, source told @stadium. Iowa grad transfer had committed to Arkansas, but now back on board and all signs point to Kansas —the only other school he visited. If Jayhawks land Moss, they fill their biggest need: Perimeter shooting.

Chicago. Simeon.

Yes please.

Lets just get Moss and Williams then we can be Simeon's official basketball University.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #17862 on: June 08, 2019, 07:02:41 AM »
This infatuation with grad transfers at this stage of the year is ridiculous, especially at the guard spot.  MU is solid 10 deep if you don't include Ike (rehab question) and one of the freshman guards redshirting.  MU doesn't need more than that this year and if you do add more, then you start to dabble into the makeup of the team.  If Wojo wants to go after a traditional transfer at a position of need for the 2020-21 season, that's a different story.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #17863 on: June 08, 2019, 07:52:09 AM »
This infatuation with grad transfers at this stage of the year is ridiculous, especially at the guard spot.  MU is solid 10 deep if you don't include Ike (rehab question) and one of the freshman guards redshirting.  MU doesn't need more than that this year and if you do add more, then you start to dabble into the makeup of the team.  If Wojo wants to go after a traditional transfer at a position of need for the 2020-21 season, that's a different story.

We lost two guys who can sink 40%+ of their threes.

Would love to get a known player who could hit at that rate and also create his own shot.

Moss does both very well.

We are likely a top 25 team without him.

Why not consider upgrading in the one area of need so that we are suddenly in the conversation of a deep run next year?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #17864 on: June 08, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
We lost two guys who can sink 40%+ of their threes.

Would love to get a known player who could hit at that rate and also create his own shot.

Moss does both very well.

We are likely a top 25 team without him.

Why not consider upgrading in the one area of need so that we are suddenly in the conversation of a deep run next year?

Because there isn't enough playing time with him and you've got the players at guard.  No need and it doesn't improve your team when the dissension moves in and believe me, it will.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #17865 on: June 08, 2019, 08:22:05 AM »

Because there isn't enough playing time with him and you've got the players at guard.  No need and it doesn't improve your team when the dissension moves in and believe me, it will.

We actually don’t have his skill set at the wing. And there IS a need. That’s the point.

I agree that team chemistry is very important but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be considering what’s immediately available to fill in gaps on your team, that’s all.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #17866 on: June 08, 2019, 08:27:34 AM »
We actually don’t have his skill set at the wing. And there IS a need. That’s the point.

I agree that team chemistry is very important but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be considering what’s immediately available to fill in gaps on your team, that’s all.

Moss played 24 minutes a game for Iowa last year and wasn't happy with that.

Marquette has Markus and Sacar returning and then add McEwen and Elliott coming off redshirts.  Add one of Torrence and Akanno and I think you not only have the skillset you think you are getting with Moss, but you are getting a better player with these players combined.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17867 on: June 08, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »
Not siding one way or another but based on roster makeup and abilities im guessing we will play our fair share of 3-4 guards at a time this year.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17868 on: June 08, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
I think the roster is set for this season.  I don't really see a hole.   Next season, Sacar, Markus, Ed, and Jayce are gone.  A traditional transfer makes the most sense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17869 on: June 08, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17871 on: June 08, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »

Are the players "we" guys or are they "me" guys?? That's what it comes down to. I mean Ted, it almost seems to me like you would prefer a team that is average with no issues as opposed to a team that is great with a few issues. You CANNOT keep everyone happy all the time. That's a given. The best players play. Period. If a guy has been in a program for 3 years and has done everything right to this point, been a starter(an average at best starter), and a true team guy, but another play comes in, works harder than him, and EARNS the right to start, why shouldn't he?? Sometimes, guys are just better then you.

You have been around long enough to know Ted, that just because a kid might be a model kid doesn't/shouldn't give him precedence to play more than someone that is better than him. See, Matt Heldt. A Coach has a responsibility to his team, the program, and himself to have the best talent he can possibly get. You can't just have a team of good guys that get along but aren't necessarily that good at basketball...that's not going to allow a Coach to keep his job very long. This isn't low D1 basketball, this is big time D1 basketball.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #17872 on: June 08, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »
For Marquette to be good, they have to develop players and have players realize that if they work hard and develop, they will move up to starting spots or more minutes.  I think Gonzaga has done this with their recruiting and their redshirting.  They'll take some transfers and some grad transfers, but it doesn't seem to prohibit their players from staying 4-5 years and contributing.

Kids nowadays aren't recruited to be "good soldiers" and players 40 years ago wouldn't be happy either.  They expect to see playing time, so if you sign Moss, does Wojo go to Elliott and say, "maybe next year" or to McEwen and say "We need someone better than you, so your time will be limited this year."

I honestly think that if Wojo recruits this way and retains players, he will get the Sweet 16's, the Elite 8's and maybe a Final 4.  You can do it the way you want and maybe achieve this, but there will be carnage and maybe lose some respect from future recruits.  Then instead of plugging experienced players in, you scramble each year to find transfers and late signees and it's tough to maintain continuity.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17873 on: June 08, 2019, 02:20:42 PM »
For Marquette to be good, they have to develop players and have players realize that if they work hard and develop, they will move up to starting spots or more minutes.  I think Gonzaga has done this with their recruiting and their redshirting.  They'll take some transfers and some grad transfers, but it doesn't seem to prohibit their players from staying 4-5 years and contributing.

Kids nowadays aren't recruited to be "good soldiers" and players 40 years ago wouldn't be happy either.  They expect to see playing time, so if you sign Moss, does Wojo go to Elliott and say, "maybe next year" or to McEwen and say "We need someone better than you, so your time will be limited this year."

I honestly think that if Wojo recruits this way and retains players, he will get the Sweet 16's, the Elite 8's and maybe a Final 4.  You can do it the way you want and maybe achieve this, but there will be carnage and maybe lose some respect from future recruits.  Then instead of plugging experienced players in, you scramble each year to find transfers and late signees and it's tough to maintain continuity.

I'm okay with your approach...IF recruiting gets to the point that your talent is good enough 1-10, to justify NOT having to take a grad transfer every year. That's not to say Wojo has done a bad job recruiting, but it's not yet to the point either where you can just plug the next guy in and go, without skipping much of a beat 6-10 as you would 1-5. A lot of times recruiting rankings don't mean anything, but Paint touches had a few tweets a couple days ago stating how only 5 of the 15 top 100 recruits MU has had the last 20 years or so have stayed the full 4 years. To me, the problem isn't that only 5 have stayed, the problem is only having 15 top 100 recruits in the last 20 years...that's pretty telling if you ask me. If you do basic math on that...and let's assume 2 per school, that means the top 50 schools(and MU should CERTAINLY be at least a top 50 school every year) can have two, EVERY year. MU has only had 15 in 20 years! Now, obviously, it's not that simple, but to me, 15 in 20 years is the problem, not that only 5 have stayed the full 4 years.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:25:34 PM by muguru »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #17874 on: June 08, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
I'm all for depth, as long as we're adding good players. You never know what's going to happen -- an injury, someone transfers mid-season, or a player just doesn't perform up to expectations. Depth also gives you more flexibility in exploiting matchups, and means you don't have to worry as much about fouls or fatigue.