[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Did Buzz Do This (Passover) Weekend  (Read 4562 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
What Did Buzz Do This (Passover) Weekend
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:26:53 AM »
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/223325/

LIKE IT IS : There’s a reason everyone comes to Real Deal

FAYETTEVILLE - Time after time they stopped, looked around and asked: "How many does this seat ?"

About 20, 000, they were told, and the summer basketball coaches and players who traveled from 40 states to take part in the Real Deal on the Hill smiled. Most said the same thing: "Impressive."

The Real Deal on the Hill uses 42 courts, but the eye of the storm is Bud Walton Arena.

In one corner in the front was Bill Self, coach of the national champion Kansas Jayhawks. A little farther down was North Carolina Coach Roy Williams. A few rows back was his archrival, Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Doc Sadler, native Arkansan and head coach at Nebraska, Buzz Williams, new coach at Marquette, and numerous other "name"head coaches were on hand, as well as top-shelf assistants like Colorado's Charles Baker, LSU's Butch Pierre and Kentucky's Glynn Cyprien.

All total, more than 300 coaches registered for the Real Deal on the Hill.

As Sadler said: "This tournament just gets better and better."

Of course, Arkansas Coach John Pelphrey had his list of prospects to watch, and he was decked out in a suit, sans tie, because "I'm representing the University of Arkansas."

It is Pelphrey's home court. He positioned himself on the front row, but he doesn't have a personal advantage this weekend. He's just another NCAA Tournament coach.

NCAA rules don't allow summer coaches or players to have contact during this period, so the college coaches sit spread out - so no one can see their notes - and watch hour after hour.

By putting the biggest names - 102 of the top 150 players in the country - under the biggest roof, the coaches don't have to drive or, for that matter, leave campus unless they are looking at 16-year-olds. Then they can see all of their games at All Star Sports Arena in Springdale.

Of course, several of the coaches made the drive to Conway and back for the Old School Tournament.

The Real Deal on the Hill - and founder Bill Ingram is quick to admit it - is a huge success, and a lot of the credit goes to the 180 volunteers who work long hours and give out tons of smiles.

Annette Fisher, Derek's mom, Diane Johnson, Joe's mom, and Bettye Williamson, Corliss' mom, work every year to make sure the coaches are well-fed and happy.

Keith Jackson, Marcus Elliott and James Rouse were on hand, and every helper was full of southern charm and hospitality.

Everyone should leave feeling good about the tournament.

This is the fourth year for the tournament and its growth has been incredible, but people like John Tyson and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette believed in Ingram from the get-go and, with their help, the tournament has grown from 82 teams to 268 this season.

It brings millions into the local economy and even impacts central Arkansas as more than 20 teams flew into Little Rock and rented vans for the beautiful drive here.

Hotel rooms here were harder to come by than a cheap gallon of gas.

Mostly, though, what Ingram and his volunteers focus on are the teams. From the elite teams that are sponsored by Reebok, Adidas or Nike to the 9-yearolds who are playing more for fun than anything, everyone is made to feel welcome.

When P. Diddy called Friday and said he would be there Saturday, Ingram quickly arranged extra security to ensure that the hip-hop king could watch the games in peace.

Saturday afternoon's session attracted several hundred fans, and more than 250 head coaches and assistant coaches came and went at Bud Walton.

There was great basketball all weekend in the finest on-campus facility in America, one that will soon have its floor stripped to the wood, repainted and varnished under the careful eye of Fred Vorsanger, Bud Walton Arena's manager who celebrates his 80 th birthday today.

Bill Ingram's dream is a fullfledged reality. The Real Deal on the Hill is one of the best tournaments of the spring or summer because the kids come first.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: What Did Buzz Do This (Passover) Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:50:03 PM »
Hah.  Coach "It's Indiana!" couldn't show up because he's not allowed to recruit off campus.

;D

wampum77

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »
Is Buzz of the Jewish faith?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »

I dont think he is Jewish but being from Texas there is a good chance he could be the first non-Catholic coach in MU history.
But I like to throw handfuls...

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »
Crean was Catholic?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »
Crean was Catholic?

I don't believe so.  Joanie is, but I thought I remembered reading that Crean wasn't.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
I don't believe so.  Joanie is, but I thought I remembered reading that Crean wasn't.

The former coach went to Mass often and carried his bible with him. You can ask Butchbadger about that as I think they went to the same church.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:23:45 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

muball

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
that wa screans playbook

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »

I did not mean to imply Buzz was Jewish.  I meant that he was at this event this weekend which also happens to be passover.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
Crean regularily went to the 11:00 mass at Lumen Christi (formerly St James) in Mequon.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 08:01:12 PM »
Crean isn't a Catholic.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 08:09:38 PM »
Crean's probably a baptist now. Reminds me of Nolte recruiting the sharpshooter from Indiana in Blue Chips.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »
Crean will be whatever religion he feels he needs to be in Indiana.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »
Based on my recent trip to Bloomington this weekend, he will be baptist then.  Everywhere you look there are baptist churches.

Drove by Assembly Hall (and the joke of a football stadium they have)....what a hole.  Mackey arena (where Purdue plays) is 100x better.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
If Crean isn't Catholic he sure went to mass a lot, more so than a lot of Catholics I know.  Saw him on numerous occasions when we went to mass at Lumen Christi in Mequon.  My wife goes more often than I and would report Crean sightings on many a Sunday.  Only time I saw him with the family was on Chistma Eve.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »
To clarify - he went to church on sundays alone, except for Christmas eve?

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 03:06:19 PM »
The times I saw him at church he was alone, on Christmas eve he was there with the family.  I don't know if other Sundays that I was not there if he was there with his family.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
Crean will be whatever religion he feels he needs to be in Indiana.

Well, when in Rome...   ::)
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback