[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN 30 for 30: Requiem for the Big East - Sunday Mar 16 at 9PM ET  (Read 12438 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Sunday March 16 @ 9PM ET on ESPN (after the selection slow and discussion)

Preview http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10496507

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=requiemforthebigeast

REQUIEM FOR THE BIG EAST

Directed by Ezra Edelman

Film Summary

"Requiem For The Big East" explores the meteoric ascension of the Big East Conference and how, in less than a decade under the innovative leadership of founder and commissioner Dave Gavitt, it became the most successful college sports league in America.

Told primarily through the lens of famed Big East coaches such as Jim Boeheim, Lou Carnesecca and John Thompson as well as some of its most iconic players such as Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin and Ed Pinckney, the film chronicles the story of an extraordinary group who rode the rivalries and successes of their teams to become household names. The Big East was a groundbreaking athletic and business creation that encapsulated the era and region in which it was born -- from the toughness of the players and coaches hailing from some of the Northeast's most storied cities, to the executives and Wall Street brokers who thrived because of it.

Launched in 1979 -- the same year that ESPN was born -- the Big East used the burgeoning cable TV channel and the media as a whole to help spread its gospel and product to fans and future players across the country. But "Requiem For The Big East" is also a tale of change as the super conference eventually found itself in a new era fighting for survival.

Director's Take

For most of my adult professional life, there has been one week each year that I looked forward to more than most: the week in early March when the Big East tournament was played at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Having grown up a rabid Georgetown Hoyas fan in Washington D.C., the allure of the tournament inspired me on more than one occasion to play hooky and drop hundreds of dollars on a scalped ticket when I should have been hard at work. With the proximity of its schools, the competitiveness of its rivalries and the ambience of the World's Most Famous Arena, the Big East tourney was always worth the price of admission. But when I heard in 2011 that Syracuse and Pitt, two Big East schools I'd grown up watching and rooting against, were leaving the conference to join the ACC, I knew that the Big East tournament that I knew and loved would be no more. No more afternoons watching Syracuse wrestle against Georgetown. No more six-overtime games between the Orange and UConn.

And I didn't exactly understand why.

In setting out to make a film about the Big East, I hoped to not simply tell a story about the rise of a great basketball conference but also understand and ultimately convey the causes of its fall. That, in doing so, I would get to sit down and talk with many of the players and coaches who were a part of so many afternoons and evenings during my childhood was an added benefit. And what I quickly realized in talking to them was that it wasn't just fans like myself who were saddened, even angry, by the Big East's demise: so, too, were many of those who helped build the league from nothing.

Hopefully, "Requiem For The Big East" will educate the uninitiated on what made the Big East great, while also informing long-time fans why it was doomed to fall apart

Atticus

• All American
Re: ESPN 30 for 30: Requiem for the Big East - Sunday Mar 16 at 9PM ET
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
I'll set the over/under at 1.5 for the number of times MU is mentioned.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:59:26 PM »
It fell apart because of football.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »

I'll take the under.  ESPN didn't appreciate the fact that the Catholic 7 found greener pastures elsewhere.  

Color me shocked that they didn't want to face Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa twice a year...  ::)

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
I'll take the under.  ESPN didn't appreciate the fact that the Catholic 7 found greener pastures elsewhere.  

Color me shocked that they didn't want to face Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa twice a year...  ::)

Espn didn't create this. A Georgetown fan did...who's father was a professor there. I'm only saying we won't be mentioned because it's apparently all about the 80's. I didn't hear or read anywhere that Buzz was interviewed. Guys like Calhoun, Thompson and Boeheim spent 2 hours doing interviews with the creator.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
The Warriors sound like they will be an afterthought in 30/30. Espin needs some good competition soon.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »

Under

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
The Big East tournament was fun place to be in the city in the early days, the Knicks and Nets had nothing to offer and St. Johns was a big local factor. Also the city was more affordable for young college graduates so the tournament had a distinctive appeal.  As time wore on, the tourney was dominated by Syracuse  and U Conn fans and the expansion of the conference watered down the basic product. It was still great and the best basketball conference for sure, however as far as MU is concerned I think this new incarnation of the conference will be more durable and beneficial to us. The double round robin really builds up the rivalries and knowledge of the opponents which over time will make this a very exciting league. I would not be surprised if one of the lower seeded teams won the tournament this year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »
Espn didn't create this. A Georgetown fan did...who's father was a professor there. I'm only saying we won't be mentioned because it's apparently all about the 80's. I didn't hear or read anywhere that Buzz was interviewed. Guys like Calhoun, Thompson and Boeheim spent 2 hours doing interviews with the creator.

Yup, a lot of ESPN content like this is independently done...produced, etc and then ESPN airs it. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »

Under. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »

If you're looking for the number of times "Marquette" or "Golden Eagles" are mentioned, I'd consider the under. 

If any mentions as part of a group count ("2005 expansion teams" "Catholic 7" "Midwestern schools") I'm taking the over

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
Is there any news on when the Danny Pudi short will air?

chr31ter

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
Odds of ESPN acknowledging their own role in the "death" of the Big East?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »

Zero.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 06:12:35 AM »
Less than zero. When it's actually a huge role. As someone said, competition for the four-letter network is always a good thing. Hopefully FSI takes off.
GO WARRIORS!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »

I understand the ongoing disdain for ESPN for the role they eventually played...but the reality is that ESPN offered the BE a lucrative contract that would have kept the conference together a few years longer.  The BE - at the urging of Pitt's AD - turned down the contract offer.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »

I'll take the over.  I expect a fair amount of time will be spent on the league coming apart and the reasons for its demise.  I don't expect MU to be featured at all, but at least mentioned along with the likes of Louisville, Notre Dame and Cincinnati.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 09:19:35 AM »
I understand the ongoing disdain for ESPN for the role they eventually played...but the reality is that ESPN offered the BE a lucrative contract that would have kept the conference together a few years longer.  The BE - at the urging of Pitt's AD - turned down the contract offer.

Lucrative is a questionable term. We would have still been the least paid of the major conferences. The deal really hurt basketball schools as I recall. I hate that the old BEast is gone, bu we make more money now. As do the other schools who left for other conferences. From a business standpoint, we are better off.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:16 AM »
Is there any news on when the Danny Pudi short will air?

I'm not sure it will end up on ESPN.  I believe it is not 22 to 23 minutes long, the standard length of a 30 minute show sans commercials.

My understanding is it will appear on ESPN.com this week or next week, but not sure it ever sees the light of day on ESPN television.  Hopefully it does. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »
If I had to guess, at a minimum you'll be able to find it on Grantland or something like that.

ESPN film on Marquette basketball jersey to be screened in Milwaukee

January 27, 2014

University alumnus, sitcom star premiered film at Sundance Film Festival

Event Information
Date: Friday, Feb. 14
Time: 7 p.m. to 8 pm.
Place: Weasler Auditorium, 1506 W. Wisconsin Ave.
MILWAUKEE – Marquette alumnus Danny Pudi will be on campus to screen Untucked, a documentary he directed for ESPN Film’s “30 for 30.” The film is about the history of the Marquette University’s men’s basketball jersey, specifically the famous uniform designed by basketball star Bo Ellis that was worn in 1977 when Marquette won the National Championship.

The screening will be at 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, in the Weasler Auditorium, 1506 W. Wisconsin Ave. A panel discussion with Pudi and Ellis will follow.

The event is free and open to the public, but tickets are limited and required; limit one ticket per person/Marquette ID beginning Wednesday, Feb. 5. Tickets are distributed in the Alumni Memorial Union Brooks Lounge, 1442 W. Wisconsin Ave., Monday through Friday from noon to 11:30 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 11:30 p.m.
Danny Pudi and Bo Ellis Untucked

Alumnus Danny Pudi (right), created a documentary, Untucked, about the legendary basketball jersey designed by basketball star Bo Ellis in the 1970s (right).

Under legendary coach Al McGuire, Marquette was known for its groundbreaking uniforms throughout the 1970s. In 1976, while Ellis was taking fashion-design courses at Mount Mary College, he suggested a jersey design that was meant to be worn untucked with “Marquette” running across the bottom of the hem, rather than the traditional spot on the chest. Marquette used a version of the design until the 1983-84 season before the NCAA required that jerseys be tucked in.

Untucked premiered Jan. 16 at the Sundance Film Festival, one of the biggest film festivals in the world, and is expected to premier on Grantland.com in March. Along with Pudi, fellow Marquette alumnus Chris Marrs was a co-producer on the project. Both are currently Los Angeles-based actors/comedians. Pudi had his breakthrough role as Abed on NBC’s Community after recurring roles on Greek and Gilmore Girls. Marrs began his career in Chicago before and has appeared on The Mentalist, Happy Endings and Hot in Cleveland. He’ll next be see on TNT’s The Last Ship.

Media interested in attending the event or speaking with Pudi should contact Andy Brodzeller, associate director of university communication, in the Office of Marketing and Communication at (414) 288-0286.
About Andy Brodzeller

Andy Brodzeller

Andy is an associate director of university communication in the Office of Marketing and Communication. Contact Andy at (414) 288-0286 or andrew.brodzeller@marquette.edu. View all posts by Andy Brodzeller.
We Are Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »
Already have my DVR set.

As is the case with most 30 For 30s, I expect it to be very good.

Those are the best things ESPN airs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

silverback

• Starter
If ESPN doesn't cover it...
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 12:34:30 PM »
...it doesn't exist.

AND, if ESPN covers you, and you begin to lose or struggle, they'll forget you immediately.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
Less than zero. When it's actually a huge role. As someone said, competition for the four-letter network is always a good thing. Hopefully FSI takes off.

FS1 invested in the programming. It is up to the schools to deliver content worth watching. FS1 on its own can't manufacture an audience. Something needs to be on the air that sports fans want to view. It's not all on Fox. They cannot be happy that Georgetown and Marquette laid an egg this year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 12:50:28 PM »

We've gone over this in other threads but basically ESPN offered a relatively low ball contract in the hopes the Big East would either take it(low cost for good content) or would reject it allowing ESPN to help orchestrate the disolving of the Big East by taking the prize football pieces and moving it to the ACC where ESPN had a very good contract.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
Bump.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »
Watching it right now. It is extremely well done. According to the film, when did it go down south? When they added football.
TAMU

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »
9:44 - Marquette mention.

hilltopper03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
one marquette mention so far while talking about expansion

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »
Watching it right now. It is extremely well done. According to the film, when did it go down south? When they added football.
Actually, BB got better and FB was mediocre.  2006 made BB even better.  But the $$$$$$ are with FB, so the FB schools were entice by the siren from ESPN/ACC who really had BB in mind.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Actually, BB got better and FB was mediocre.  2006 made BB even better.  But the $$$$$$ are with FB, so the FB schools were entice by the siren from ESPN/ACC who really had BB in mind.

To paraphrase, 'the football schools felt like they brought in way too much money relative to what they had to share with everyone else'

I can't wait to see what the Maryland exit fee ruling is.  FSU and Clemson wanted out of the ACC for that exact reason--"Hey Wake, how much money are you bringing in!?!?  Duke, how about you?  Basketball is cute, but your football team is pathetic, start pulling your own weight!"

Is the ACC next? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
Lot of Boeheim passive agressiveness at the end. Lots of former BEast coach active aggressiveness towards Boeheim as well.

Only one Marquette mention. No AAC mention. Catholic 7 got one small mention, a paragraph right before the credits about acquiring the BEast name.
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
To paraphrase, 'the football schools felt like they brought in way too much money relative to what they had to share with everyone else'

I can't wait to see what the Maryland exit fee ruling is.  FSU and Clemson wanted out of the ACC for that exact reason--"Hey Wake, how much money are you bringing in!?!?  Duke, how about you?  Basketball is cute, but your football team is pathetic, start pulling your own weight!"

Is the ACC next? 

Nope, the ACC now uses a Grant of Rights that all members signed through 2027.  The conference owns the television revenues for the entire conference.  If you leave, you forefeit the money AND the new conference can't earn any money off you until 2027. 

Grant of Rights is the major reason conference realignment will now stop for quite some time.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »
At least we had four Al sightings.

Wonder what would've happened if instead of expanding the conference and adding more football schools, they would've cut ties with the football schools already in the league and replaced them with basketball schools? In other words, did what they did this year, but had done it back in the late 90's.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
Nope, the ACC now uses a Grant of Rights that all members signed through 2027.  The conference owns the television revenues for the entire conference.  If you leave, you forefeit the money AND the new conference can't earn any money off you until 2027. 

Grant of Rights is the major reason conference realignment will now stop for quite some time.

Yea, I know about that, but I don't buy it.  If Maryland gets off the $50M hook by paying only $20M or under (which is a number that I have read floating around), then FSU, with their title trophy in hand, may take a chance and fight that 2027-grant of rights deal in court.  If exit fees don't hold up in court, I doubt that this grant of rights would either.  Though I am willing to defer, as I am far from a legal scholar.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
At least we had four Al sightings.

Wonder what would've happened if instead of expanding the conference and adding more football schools, they would've cut ties with the football schools already in the league and replaced them with basketball schools? In other words, did what they did this year, but had done it back in the late 90's.

I wonder what would have happened if they had just never added football. Allow schools to put their football in other conferences but keep their basketball in the BEast. It wouldn't work today, but back then, who knows?

Basketball was and is the brand of the Big East. It was diluted by football.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »
It fell apart because of football.  

No!  Really?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:30 PM »
Bonus footage on ESPNU