[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For all the complaining about the MU/UWM game, UIC just beat #14 IL in the UC!  (Read 5599 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303520082

CHICAGO -- Party on, UIC. The Flames deserve to celebrate.

About a mile from its own campus, Illinois-Chicago pulled off one of the biggest wins in school history Saturday, rallying from eight points down in the second half and stunning Illinois 57-54 at the United Center.

"Amazing," said first-year Flames coach Howard Moore.

"It can really give our program a shot in the arm recruiting, tremendous exposure," said Moore, a former Wisconsin assistant. "For us, it's just a tremendous win. It's just great to have these moments, share these moments with your team."

Darrin Williams scored five points in the final 1:10 as UIC ended the Illini's seven-game winning streak. The Flames also stopped their own four-game losing skid, with three of those losses by two points.

"We cracked the past four games prior to this. It is a testament to my players that they didn't allow it to happen again," Moore said.

After a sluggish start, Illinois (10-2) used a 12-0 run to build a 49-41 lead with 7:30 to go and appeared in control.

But the Flames (5-7), who led for a good portion of the game, weren't about to go away in the United Center, where the crowd was mostly dressed in the orange of Illinois (No. 14 ESPN/USA Today, No. 12 AP).

Beating Illinois at all was a big deal -- the Illini lead the series 12-2 -- and doing so at the United Center made it even sweeter. The Illini are 32-10 at the home court of the Chicago Bulls since 1994-95. UIC's only other win over Illinois came in 1990 at Champaign.

"A huge win. A springboard for us," said Robo Kreps, who led the Flames with 15 points. "Midway through the second half I finally took a look at the crowd. I saw the second tier was orange and the third tier was orange."

Demetri McCamey led Illinois with 16 points but shot only 4-for-11, reflective of the 32.7 percent shooting by the Illini, who struggled against the Flames' 1-3-1 zone.

"We knew they might play zone, but they hadn't shown the 1-3-1," Illinois coach Bruce Weber said. "To [Moore's]credit it changed a little bit of momentum."

After UIC's Brad Birton went high to block a shot by Illinois' Brandon Paul, the 6-foot-9, 282-pound Williams grabbed an offensive rebound at the other end, was fouled and the 43 percent free throw shooter entering the game made both to put UIC up 53-52.

McCamey was fouled and made both ends of a 1-and-1 to give the Illini a 54-53 lead with 52.2 seconds remaining. After Kreps' layup rolled off the rim, Williams tipped it in and the Flames were back up 55-54 with 23 seconds to go.

Illinois then missed three straight shots, one a dunk follow attempt by Paul, who seconds later was hurt and had to be helped off the court with a sprained ankle.

Illinois' Mike Tisdale was called for his fifth foul with 3.5 seconds left and Williams went back to the line and hit the first free throw but missed the second as UIC went up 56-54 with 3.2 seconds to go.

After two timeouts, McCamey stepped on the line near midcourt as he caught an inbounds pass, giving the ball back to the Flames. Kreps was fouled and missed the first free throw and made the second for a 57-54 lead.

Illinois then threw the ball out of bounds on its next inbounds attempt and UIC had its monumental upset as players raced on the court and mobbed one another.

"I gave them a goal to be Top 10 right after Christmas. Obviously that's not going to happen," Weber said of his team, which must now get ready for Missouri in four days. "I've been scared, to be honest. We haven't had good practices."

UIC broke out with a 10-2 run to open the second half, started by Zavion Neely's 3-pointer and capped by his three-point play, to go ahead 38-30 4 minutes in.

Meyers Leonard dunked, D.J. Richardson canned a jumper, and Bill Cole hit a layup to cap the 12-point spurt and put the Illini up 49-41.

Kreps then broke UIC's field goal drought of nearly 11 minutes with a 3-pointer, his first basket since early in the game, and his two free throws cut the Illini lead to 51-48 with 3:37 left. The Flames then retied the game on Paul Carter's 3-pointer with 2:51 to go.

"This hurts," McCamey said. "Give credit to UIC. They hung. We took the lead and they didn't put their heads down and they came back and made plays down the stretch and we didn't."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Sweet...and thankfully UW-m beat a 2-9 Bowling Green team tonight by 3 points at UW-m.

MUBasketball

• All American
Sweet...and thankfully UW-m beat a 2-9 Bowling Green team tonight by 3 points at UW-m.

That's really cute...including the hyphen, and making the m lowercase.

And by cute, I mean it's a douchebag move.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
What happened to Ill's rpi?????

marquette99

• Starter
Good post, and charlotte beat tennessee in a "semi-home" game since tn didn't want to play on the court.  Pomeroy predicted that as a top 40 team we should win by 10 at uwm, and we won by 3.a few points below expectations and we start the season 1-0 on the road after starting - what 0-5 on the road last year.

And I'll keep repeating it - no big east or big 10 team has won by more than 4 on a horizon floor in 4 years, including wisconsin losing at green bay last year.

reinko

• All American

What's even cuter is that he clearly got under yours and MUPanthers skin, because you care so much about the acronym for the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

I hate the MECCA, what douchebaggery they have going on over there.

http://wcd.org/events/535-uw-m-panthers-men-s-basketball-team-vs--marquette-university

Northern Iowa douchebags

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/mens_basketball/article_a9f17a54-f39d-11df-8aaa-001cc4c002e0.html

UW-Madison douchebagging douchebags douching on UW-M...damn douchebags

http://badgerherald.com/sports/2010/11/11/womens_soccer_opens_.php

Douchebaggery everywhere....and in this Holiday season...so sad.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:46:53 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

NersEllenson

• All American
What happened to Ill's rpi?????

Great point.  Hopefully we will get an update before days end from our RPI Watch Expert - however, he may be too busy trying to find results of how MU opponents have been beaten so much worse by other teams.  (Thereby clearly illustrating how bad this MU team really is.)

Funny that we haven't seen this same person trumpet Gonzaga's win over Number 8 Baylor (in Dallas...which means it's a Baylor home game)...and not to mention Gonzaga's top scorer  - Steven Gray- couldn't play in the 2nd half due to injury...yet they STILL beat Number 8 Baylor.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ners

Actually yesterday I said I was hoping Gonzaga would hold on to beat Baylor....I didn't realize you hung on my every word.  Glad they won...they're now 5-5...let's hope they can put a run together to help our RPI a bit, which dropped again after yesterday.

Here's the link, sorry you missed it. http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=22994.msg253096#msg253096

Illinois' RPI went from 18 to 34 after their loss.

Baylor, by the way, went from 44 to 57....the RPI obviously didn't like that they lost to this year's Gonzaga team.

I'm here to assist you Ners in any way, just let me know.  

By the way....kind of interesting that the home facility of UW-M uses, gasp, "UW-M" in talking about UW-M for tickets, game mentions, graphic representations, etc.  Damn Douchebags!!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:26:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MUBasketball

• All American
What's even cuter is that he clearly got under yours and MUPanthers skin, because you care so much about the acronym for the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee.

Since I'm a graduate of UWM, yes it pissed me off.

Like, what's the point of it? Just being a jerk, for no reason. Chico's is a damn adult, he acts like a child. Pretty sad really.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain

Like, what's the point of it? Just being a jerk, for no reason. Chico's is a damn adult, he acts like a child. Pretty sad really.

They're a cross-town "rival" (not sure it's a rivalry if it's never competitive). It's not totally weird, uncommon or really all that deplorable for someone on this board to belittle them in some way. People here regularly take shots at other "rivals" all the time. It's not a big deal. I understand you're a little more sensitive to it because you went there, but chill out.

MUBasketball

• All American
They're a cross-town "rival" (not sure it's a rivalry if it's never competitive). It's not totally weird, uncommon or really all that deplorable for someone on this board to belittle them in some way. People here regularly take shots at other "rivals" all the time. It's not a big deal. I understand you're a little more sensitive to it because you went there, but chill out.

Fair enough, I understand your point. Basically boils down to Chicos just constantly stirring the pot. All I'm sayin'.

As I said, done with this. Have no interest in back-and-forth bitching.

NersEllenson

• All American
Ners

Actually yesterday I said I was hoping Gonzaga would hold on to beat Baylor....I didn't realize you hung on my every word.  Glad they won...they're now 5-5...let's hope they can put a run together to help our RPI a bit, which dropped again after yesterday.

Here's the link, sorry you missed it. http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=22994.msg253096#msg253096

Illinois' RPI went from 18 to 34 after their loss.

Baylor, by the way, went from 44 to 57....the RPI obviously didn't like that they lost to this year's Gonzaga team.

I'm here to assist you Ners in any way, just let me know.  

By the way....kind of interesting that the home facility of UW-M uses, gasp, "UW-M" in talking about UW-M for tickets, game mentions, graphic representations, etc.  Damn Douchebags!!!

Thank you for the clarification that you (like any MU fan) were hoping Gonzaga would win yesterday.  For a minute I wasn't sure if you felt that way, as you didn't chirp a lot about the Zags beating Baylor.  Nor, did you find it worthy to START AN ENTIRE THREAD stating:  gonzaga beats Baylor by 4 points - whereas you just HAD to start a : "DePaul beat UW-M tonight by 14 points" thread.  

Lastly, these RPI updates are very helpful here in mid-December.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

It hurts his feelings because he went there....check that....it "pisses" him off. 

Of course that's why it's done, just like Wisconsin fans call MU the Gold.  Packers fans call Illinois people FIBs, etc, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Lastly, these RPI updates are very helpful here in mid-December.

You do realize that the RPI is a cumulative ranking, correct?  In other words, the games in November and December count.  We haven't been ranked this poorly in the RPI in December in quite some time.  The margin for error becomes smaller.  So, now I realize that the ranking itself in December is not nearly as important as it is in March, it does affect things down the line.  Our SOS is going to bring us up considerably and we will likely finish in the 50 to 80 mark, but we need some wins of consequence.

Gonzaga isn't a rival of ours.  DePaul is, UW-m supposedly is...that's why that thread was started.  I thought you would clue in on that, but maybe not so thus the explanation for you.  Cheers

MUBasketball

• All American
It hurts his feelings because he went there....check that....it "pisses" him off.  

Of course that's why it's done, just like Wisconsin fans call MU the Gold.  Packers fans call Illinois people FIBs, etc, etc.

OK damn, you roped me in for one last comment.

You like to point out how UWM isn't really a rival since the Panthers have never won a game in the series. So they aren't a rival, and MU is far superior right? Completely unlike the MU/UW and Packer/Bear heated rivalries. That is a horrible argument.

For MU being so superior, kind of sad you need to take all these shots at the little guys, don't ya think?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:48:01 PM by MUBasketball »

hdog1017

• Team Captain
Any day that U of I loses is a good day in my world. 

reinko

• All American
OK damn, you roped me in for one last comment.

You like to point out how UWM isn't really a rival since the Panthers have never won a game in the series. So they aren't a rival, and MU is far superior right? Completely unlike the MU/UW and Packer/Bear heated rivalries. That is a horrible argument.

For MU being so superior, kind of sad you need to take all these shots at the little guys, don't ya think?

On a Marquette message board, you are upset that someone is claiming Marquette is superior to another college.

Welcome to the interwebs.

Marquette84

• All American

If the use of "UW-m" hacks you off this much, I'm sure you also feel that those who use the terms "Rodents" or "IU,IU" or "Loserville" are equally sad, childish jerks, right?  

Meanwhile, in this debate nobody has been able to refute Chico's underlying premise--UWM wasn't a very good team, and we didn't play very well against them.  Following that game, he made the accurate observation in that if we did not improve our play significantly, we would lose to Wisconsin.  Instead of simply agreeing with him, we had people question his motives, attack him personally, call him names, etc. etc. etc.  All the things we've come to expect when there is any disagreement on this board.

And we subsequently lost to Wisconsin, the attackers doubled down, hurling even more insults and attacks.

I guess this is MUScoop's own unique version of Cura Personalis on display.  If you don't like the point another poster is making, don't post a respectful, well reasoned response.  Instead turn to name calling and personal insults.  And God forbid, if someone makes a prediction you don't like and subsequently turns out to be correct, then don't bother to acknowledge you were wrong--instead, double down on the insults and name calling.

NersEllenson

• All American
You do realize that the RPI is a cumulative ranking, correct?  In other words, the games in November and December count.  We haven't been ranked this poorly in the RPI in December in quite some time.  The margin for error becomes smaller.  So, now I realize that the ranking itself in December is not nearly as important as it is in March, it does affect things down the line.  Our SOS is going to bring us up considerably and we will likely finish in the 50 to 80 mark, but we need some wins of consequence.

Gonzaga isn't a rival of ours.  DePaul is, UW-m supposedly is...that's why that thread was started.  I thought you would clue in on that, but maybe not so thus the explanation for you.  Cheers

I realize that at the present RPI rankings..MU will have 6 games against Top 15 RPI opponents..and 4 more games against teams in the 15-27 current rankings.  So..10 games aginst top 27 teams.  I suspect our SOS will rise significantly as well.  I also agree that we need some wins of consquence.

What I don't understand is if Memphis is a rival of ours?  Tulane?  Or any of the other Centenary opponents you felt the need to mention yesterday...and their margins of victory over Centenary.  You sure seem to be caught up in a lot of comparisons latly as to how other teams are performing against teams we've played.  Thankfully, however, you have spared us all with starting a thread such as:  Centenary got beat by 41 by Tulane.

Aughnanure

• All American
Im never of the opinions that belittling other teams is acceptable or cool, even if it does make you feel better and you have a good laugh. Its just lame to constantly do the "UW hyphen Milwaukee" crap. Its not original, its not funny and it shows YOU care too much about them that you spell out there name as long as possible. Why give them any more of your time than the three letters it takes?

Ive never rooted for the teams where its easy to piss on and belittle other teams, so I will never like it when fans of my teams do the same thing I hate to other teams. Kansas and Nebraska fans are very good examples of the type of fans I dont want Marquette to share any similarities with.

And it is childish.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Is this an example of acting like an adult:  "If you wanna get on your knees and slurp Crean, I don't understand why you don't go on the IU boards and join in with the Hoosier fans?"

That was one of your gems.  On the knees and slurping?  Hmm, and you're offended by a hyphen.  Classic.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I realize that at the present RPI rankings..MU will have 6 games against Top 15 RPI opponents..and 4 more games against teams in the 15-27 current rankings.  So..10 games aginst top 27 teams.  I suspect our SOS will rise significantly as well.  I also agree that we need some wins of consquence.

What I don't understand is if Memphis is a rival of ours?  Tulane?  Or any of the other Centenary opponents you felt the need to mention yesterday...and their margins of victory over Centenary.  You sure seem to be caught up in a lot of comparisons latly as to how other teams are performing against teams we've played.  Thankfully, however, you have spared us all with starting a thread such as:  Centenary got beat by 41 by Tulane.

Those teams are not rivals, nor did I start a thread with them.  I did mention it because we are supposed to be a NCAA team, per you and others, and Memphis is another NCAA team that destroyed Centenary. Tulane is not going to be a NCAA team and manhandled them.  I also made those comments in the first half (oh those Pesky Details again), and I was hoping our sluggish play was due to a week off, finals, etc.  Also noted that we played a much better second half (pesky details again).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Im never of the opinions that belittling other teams is acceptable or cool, even if it does make you feel better and you have a good laugh. Its just lame to constantly do the "UW hyphen Milwaukee" crap. Its not original, its not funny and it shows YOU care too much about them that you spell out there name as long as possible. Why give them any more of your time than the three letters it takes?

Ive never rooted for the teams where its easy to piss on and belittle other teams, so I will never like it when fans of my teams do the same thing I hate to other teams. Kansas and Nebraska fans are very good examples of the type of fans I dont want Marquette to share any similarities with.

And it is childish.

Aug

When I was around MU and this series, they were always known as UW-M.  I'm sorry that bothers you, but that's what they were known as in the community, in the papers, in our media guides, etc, etc.  That was my exposure to them.  Somewhere along the way they decided to change to who knows what.  I didn't change with it and it bothers some of them now. Too bad.  At times I still add State to Memphis State because that's what I came to know them as.  Maybe with time I'll get to Milwaukee or UWM or whatever it is that they want, but when they doth protest so much it makes it much easier to use the old naming convention.

You were not involved in the absolute bullcrap that university and Bud Haidet pulled with MU during the late 1990's, and that will ALWAYS tinge my view toward them and their chickencrap antics.  I have no problem admitting it.  That's the way it goes.  I'd also suggest their stellar athletic department and branding gurus might want to contact their own arena about fixing what they are called.

Wade for President

• All American
Is this an example of acting like an adult:  "If you wanna get on your knees and slurp Crean, I don't understand why you don't go on the IU boards and join in with the Hoosier fans?"

That was one of your gems.  On the knees and slurping?  Hmm, and you're offended by a hyphen.  Classic.

Point.  Set.  Match Chicos.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Point.  Set.  Match Chicos.

+1.

The original poster seems intent on picking fights.

hilltoppah

• Walk-On
And I'll keep repeating it - no big east or big 10 team has won by more than 4 on a horizon floor in 4 years, including wisconsin losing at green bay last year.

UW-Madison won at UW-Milwaukee on Dec 12th, 2007 by 22.

willie warrior

• All American
UW-Madison won at UW-Milwaukee on Dec 12th, 2007 by 22.
HMMMMM-methinks maybe he should revise it to three years?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.