[Today at 09:49:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Student Section Question  (Read 7278 times)

augoman

• All American
Re: MU Student Section Question
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
It's such as shame because when we played at the old Arena it was always written up in SI and other publications as one of the toughest "snake pits" to play in. Kerry Kirkpatrick of SI did an article about it and MU was the featured team/venue.

Al tried to play UCLA and Wooden would not agree to a home and home.....no one wanted to play at the Arena. We managed to have some great home and homes with other top teams like Tennessee (the Bernie and Ernie teams), Memphis State (Gene Barstow), South Carolina (McGuire), Long Beach State (Tarkanian), Minnesota (Musselman) and even Jacksonville in the Artis Gilmore days.

We had our 61 game home win streak broken by Notre Dame which somehow always managed to have their games in Milwaukee scheduled when students were still away (or the Saturday before coming back) from Christmas break yet ND students were always in session when we played there.

You'd leave the arena with your ears ringing from all the noise.....it was great.

As I recall, the article quoted several of the coaches regarding playing MU at the arena and the comment was made "..., and those drums, those darn drums!..."  referring to the 'war dance' the Warriors used everytime we were on defense.  I think the lighting was much better in the Arena as well- though probably not as conducive to good tv telecasts- as the court was well lit and the stands were dark.  The BC is more like a rec room in someones basement.  You could read a book in your seats during a game.

Shanunu

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
As one of the most passionate MU Bball fans that I know, and as a current student, I am torn between feeling exactly the way that many feel about the student section. While it is true that during lesser games, the SS can be weak, for many of the important Big East games, we can be a force to be reckoned with. I wish I could say that I contribute to the loudness at our end of the stadium, but I have usually yelled myself hoarse after the first five minutes of game time.

With that being said, I do wish that the students always stood during time-outs, that nobody left early, that cheers were started much quicker on every possession, and that we could be packed in tighter. As the student section is now, there are too many wide aisles separating the students into small sections (having columns two seats wide is ridiculous), but I realize that that is the way the BC is designed, and obviously can't be changed. Also, it bothers me when people wear jerseys or sweatshirts that are not gold.

When the SS feels it, we can be crazy, and I would love it if that happened at all times,  to make the BC one of the most uninviting places for teams to play. So, I will just continue to jump up and down and scream myself hoarse for MU, and hopefully some will follow suit.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
THIS is what our student section look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhDZ91hST-w
(skip to the 3 minute mark)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:15 AM »
I completely understand that basketball is still a business in the NCAA but how about during the weekdays, they give the SS the first level and during the weekends, they get the endzone.  Just a thought
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RealChiliWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »

It's such as shame because when we played at the old Arena it was always written up in SI and other publications as one of the toughest "snake pits" to play in. Kerry Kirkpatrick of SI did an article about it and MU was the featured team/venue.

Al tried to play UCLA and Wooden would not agree to a home and home.....no one wanted to play at the Arena. We managed to have some great home and homes with other top teams like Tennessee (the Bernie and Ernie teams), Memphis State (Gene Barstow), South Carolina (McGuire), Long Beach State (Tarkanian), Minnesota (Musselman) and even Jacksonville in the Artis Gilmore days.

We had our 61 game home win streak broken by Notre Dame which somehow always managed to have their games in Milwaukee scheduled when students were still away (or the Saturday before coming back) from Christmas break yet ND students were always in session when we played there.

You'd leave the arena with your ears ringing from all the noise.....it was great.

The most raucous crowd I remember at the Arena was Al's midnight exhibition game featuring The Russians Are Coming.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »
THIS is what our student section look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhDZ91hST-w
(skip to the 3 minute mark)

that is awesome

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 10:34:05 AM »
That is awesome!

Cale mi je zvezdas, stariji brat je zvezdas a ja od kako znam za sebe navijam za PARTIZAN! Izgleda da je komsija Grobar zasluzan za to! Hvala ti komsija!!! Mogo sam da se rodim kao cigan. . . :D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.