* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[May 18, 2024, 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Need more sweatervests  (Read 16268 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Need more sweatervests
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 09:44:47 AM »
SO much confusion...

In 2003 they gave away a 1974 gold t-shirt.  It's not the most attractive shirt ever.  I think that's what prn is talking about.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
Personally, I will never wear a gold shirt to the game. It's fine for the student section, but that's where the line should be drawn. Since when is it acceptable to tell people to dress alike?

It wasn't long ago that the university voted "unanimously" to actually name our team the "Gold," so you'll pardon me if I don't jump at the chance to wear this color that they're so crazy about. Ugh.

Are you telling me those who don't wear gold shirts are not real fans? What a joke. So the guy sitting next to me in a blue Marquette windshirt somehow is less of a fan than somebody wearing those horrible 1974 shirts?

Tom Crean and the entire university staff could call PRN and tell him that his house was on fire and he would refuse to listen and stay in the burning building just to prove his point.

I do agree, though, that giving out different color tshirts and then telling people to wear gold is pretty stupid.  However, I do remember when the fanatic tshirts were grey, they gave out white towels "because they show up better on tv" for our one big game a year on TV vs either Cincy or Louisville, and when they had to put "yell, you're on ABC" on the jumbotron when we were on national tv.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »
Back to the original topic for a moment...nobody should be actively trying to find one of those sweater vests to wear - especially not someone who graduated last year. If you are over the age of say 45, I have no problem with it. I had one when they were sold 3 or 4 years ago, and attempted to wear it one time, but my wife would not let me out of the house with it on. Get your butt to the shop in the Union. There are many options for wearing gold that are nowhere near as lame as those sweater vests.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 10:16:19 AM »
Some of my friends bought me a gold sweater vest when I turned 30.  Even though I've never worn it, I really appreciate a gift that says, "you are old".  It was quite the ordeal for them (thanks MU_Chi-IL) because you would not believe how hard it can be to actually find such an item.  It's not available from MU or almost any major clothing store.  In fact, my "gold" sweater vest is kind of a deep canary color, but it's close enough.

Every time I get ready for a Marquette game, I pull the sweater vest out of the closet and consider wearing it.  Then, similar to Naivin, Mrs. Henry Sugar mocks the hell out of me and it goes right back in.

Now, regarding the topic of wearing gold to the games, I personally love that this is the standard practice for MU games.  It shows up great on TV, presents unity, and helps establish a quality home court advantage.  I get fired up seeing a huge crowd of gold stretching across the Bradley Center right before tipoff. 

People that don't wear gold to MU games are puppy-kicking communists.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »
Is anybody else tired of people ripping on the "sweater vest," lower bowl crowd that "sits on their hands" or "aren't loud enough?"

It's so tiring to read/hear the same stuff....over....and...over...again.

IMO, the fans that sit in the lower level between the baselines show plenty of spirit and are plenty loud enough.  These people have seen a lot of MU basketball games over the years and are, for the most part, the most loyal fans that MU has. 

Note how many times everyone in the lower bowl is on their feet given the course of any "big" game...I guarantee you it's as much or more than any other high major program.  When the team has a nice spurt or needs a defensive stop the people are on their feet.

I swear until all the 60 and 70 year old season ticket holders paint their faces, wear gold afro wigs and stand throughout the entire game the same complainers are always going to have something negative to say.

We have great fans....most of us realize that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:03:16 AM by MarquetteFan94 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 11:02:25 AM »
Thank you, rocky_warrior -- I was referring to those really lame (and cheap) 1974 gold shirts they gave out a few years ago. I see them at games quite a bit and I think they look awful.

For the record, I really like the light blue ones they're planning on giving out for the Pittsburgh game. I will wear that one. And I think the Wade ones from last year are great.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »

HAHAHA. Hilarious. Well done, Sir.   :D

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »
Then, similar to Naivin, Mrs. Henry Sugar mocks the hell out of me and it goes right back in.

Your wife mocks you too?  Glad I'm not the only one.

Right on, brother.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2007, 05:56:39 PM »
Is anybody else tired of people ripping on the "sweater vest," lower bowl crowd that "sits on their hands" or "aren't loud enough?"

No i'm not tired of ripping the lower bowl fans.  If you watch most other big-time basketball schools (see Duke), the students fill those seats and they stand and yell the entire game.  Too many times watching the game on t.v. I see folks in those seats NOT wearing yellow (in sweater vests and blue MU windbreakers) and seemingly not even paying much attention to the game or walking to/ from concessions.  I know these fans earned their due, they have had season tix for a while, and supported the team through thick and then BUT for god's sake, show some ENERGY!!  Let the students have these seats and create a true home-court advantage.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »
1.  Those blue shirts are AWESOME.  Any chance we'll be able to buy them if we're not able to make it to the game that day? 

2.  At Illinois they do something called "Paint the Hall Orange." It's only done a few times a year, though almost everyone wears orange for all of the games.

They don't give out shirts at Illinois.  Everyone in that town-- students and townies alike-- owns orange Illini gear.  And they wear it.  I've been to a few paint the hall orange games and it's unreal.  You can get all kinds of orange stuff for about $5 at any of the many t-shirt shops on campus.   

Very cool experience.  I think it does add to the atmosphere of the home court.  While the student section at Illinois (the Orange Crush) is right on the baseline, the season ticket holders who aren't students (at least 50% of the fans) wear orange too-- it's a pretty cool place to see a game.  People in Champaign love their college hoops.  Way more of a hoops town than football, even on the rare occasion when the football team is good. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »
The 1974 team did not wear gold jerseys. The t-shirt really didn't represent their uniforms in the least.

Ah yes... you are certainly correct. I have that gold shirt... and it's not that cool. I was refencing the shirt showin in this thread, but typed 1974... my mistake.

I think everybody is excited about the 1977 shirts. Very cool.

Anyways, I still don't get your objection to wearing gold. I mean, it's up to you and if you don't like that color... no big deal. But, to suggest you are taking a stand against the university who tried to personally wrong you by changing the nickname is a little silly.

Do you sit when everybody else stands just to stick it to Tom Crean?

Do you not by nike shoes or apparel anymore because they sponsor the current coach and administration?

Do you refuse to root for DW3 because he was a "golden eagle"?

Do you hate DJ's socks because they are the dreaded color of "gold"... dun duh duhhhhh!

I understand people feel passionate about the nickname stuff... and I'm not even going to touch that argument. But, can't we all agree that the school colors are blue AND gold? And, can't the university encourage all fans to wear gold because it is a more distinctive color that shows school spirit and unity?

I think the current administration has done a good job eliminating the golden eagle for the most part and is trying to reunite fans with the new logo and some very good marketing (great players and a great team obviously are a major fuel for this).

Just enjoy being a fan no matter what color you are wearing (unless it is red).

If you don't like gold, that's your business... just don't act like its a political statement agains Fr. Wild, or the board of directors, or Crean. That's just too extreme.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »
Let the students have these seats and create a true home-court advantage.

Yes, God knows the BC is such a walk in the park for opponents. Anyone is welcome to those seats any time. Get your credit card out and take your pick.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 09:35:51 AM »
The 1974 team did not wear gold jerseys. The t-shirt really didn't represent their uniforms in the least.

Do you not by nike shoes or apparel anymore because they sponsor the current coach and administration?

Do you hate DJ's socks because they are the dreaded color of "gold"... dun duh duhhhhh!

I think the current administration has done a good job eliminating the golden eagle for the most part and is trying to reunite fans with the new logo and some very good marketing (great players and a great team obviously are a major fuel for this).

Answers:

Do you sit when everybody else stands just to stick it to Tom Crean? Of course not, but I refuse to take part in that "stand until they score" crap. There's too much choreography going on! I know when to stand and when to sit. This is akin to "Make Noise" graphics on the scoreboard...totally contrived

Do you not by nike shoes or apparel anymore because they sponsor the current coach and administration? I refuse to wear Nike and it has nothing to do with our coach. I just don't like Nike or what they stand for.

Do you refuse to root for DW3 because he was a "golden eagle"? I love Wade

Do you hate DJ's socks because they are the dreaded color of "gold"... dun duh duhhhhh! Yes, I do hate them. I also hate that he wears that arm sleeve. It's clearly an attempt to call attention to himself.

I think the current administration has done a good job eliminating the golden eagle for the most part and is trying to reunite fans with the new logo and some very good marketing (great players and a great team obviously are a major fuel for this). I agree that they're doing a good job eliminating the mascot. The point is, how pathetic is it that we have a nickname that NOBODY wants to be associated with?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »
I like the remain standing until a bucket deal, even if it is contrived.

Anything that gets the fans active is a good thing.   I was at the game alone yesterday, and it really struck me how quiet my section is.  5 rows, about 50 people.  Silent.  Rare clapping.  It's like they're at a movie.  I actually felt self-conscious when I was cheering.

So if we can get these slugs up for a few minutes at the beginning of the game, it's a good thing.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 10:19:09 AM »

Do you not by Nike shoes or apparel anymore because they sponsor the current coach and administration?

Answers:

Do you sit when everybody else stands just to stick it to Tom Crean? Of course not, but I refuse to take part in that "stand until they score" carp. There's too much choreography going on! I know when to stand and when to sit. This is akin to "Make Noise" graphics on the scoreboard...totally contrived

Do you not by Nike shoes or apparel anymore because they sponsor the current coach and administration? I refuse to wear Nike and it has nothing to do with our coach. I just don't like Nike or what they stand for.

Do you hate DJ's socks because they are the dreaded color of "gold"... dun duh duhhhhh! Yes, I do hate them. I also hate that he wears that arm sleeve. It's clearly an attempt to call attention to himself.

I think the current administration has done a good job eliminating the golden eagle for the most part and is trying to reunite fans with the new logo and some very good marketing (great players and a great team obviously are a major fuel for this). I agree that they're doing a good job eliminating the mascot. The point is, how pathetic is it that we have a nickname that NOBODY wants to be associated with?

I respect your honesty, but I guess I just think it's a little silly. I understand that telling people to stand seems a little contrived, but as the years go by it will become a tradition and it won't seem forced anymore. Lighten up, Francis.

I love when school spirit and cheers/tradition grow organically, but we also need to recognize that school can help push this along by encouraging certain actions. Let's face it, sometimes there are people at the game who aren't as big of fans as you or me, so they need a little encouragement and instruction. I know, I know... it's annoying... but it happens everywhere.

As far as hating DJ's socks, he's just a kid playing basketball... and I don't think his socks are a crime. If he likes 'em, I like 'em. He's an individual, so I have no problem with it. Do you have a problem with DW3's socks? He does the same thing. (sometimes its the leggings, but I think at the Olympics they were just socks)

You have a problem with Nike? I'm shocked. I wonder how many other companies  you are currently rebelling against (MU and Nike being the ones I know of).

As far as the nickname thing... I just point it out because the current administration is still getting RIPPED for not changing the name back, when I think they deserve just a little bit of credit for making the most from a bad situation.

The whole "gold" mess was a fiasco, and MU deserved to be ripped for that. Obviously some people would prefer Warriors, some would prefer hilltoppers, some would prefer eagles, etc. etc.

But, since the "gold" thing, I think the university has done a pretty admirable job getting around some of controversy by trying to unite the MU community with the current logo and marketing efforts. I'm not saying its perfect, but I admit that it is a big improvement. Can you?

Don't let your anger blind you... this is a good team with a good environment and a good school with good fans.

Have some fun and participate.

You just might find out that wearing gold is fun, and it's a lot easier to be a fan of some things than a critic of EVERYTHING.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »

[/quote]

If you look closely at the sleeve he has padding around his elbow that the sleeve keeps in place.  Its a compression sleeve so it prevents the padding from moving.  Just like with the socks since they are all compression items, they help with cramping.  It boosts circulation and keeps the areas warm.  Now this is all told to me by my girlfriend who is a physical therapist and went to Madison, so take it for what its worth.

Also how does that exactly draw attention to him?  How is that different than Fitz wearing a compression sleeve?  Any different than Lazar wearing a headband?  How about Wesleys arm bands?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 10:46:23 AM »

If you look closely at the sleeve he has padding around his elbow that the sleeve keeps in place.  Its a compression sleeve so it prevents the padding from moving.  Just like with the socks since they are all compression items, they help with cramping.  It boosts circulation and keeps the areas warm.  Now this is all told to me by my girlfriend who is a physical therapist and went to Madison, so take it for what its worth.

Also how does that exactly draw attention to him?  How is that different than Fitz wearing a compression sleeve?  Any different than Lazar wearing a headband?  How about Wesleys arm bands?
[/quote]

Cool to know.  It must be working as I don't recall the last time DJ had a cramping issue.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 10:57:32 AM »
It boosts circulation and keeps the areas warm.  Now this is all told to me by my girlfriend who is a physical therapist

As a guy currently wearing 2 neoprene knee sleeves due to a skiing mishap a few weeeks ago (geeze that makes me feel old), I can vouch for the circulation / warm / healing effect.  Without them, my knees feel like crap, with them, I'm just fine.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
Cool to know.  It must be working as I don't recall the last time DJ had a cramping issue.

He was appearing to fight off the start of a leg cramp at the end of the Pitt game.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »

Answers:

Do you sit when everybody else stands just to stick it to Tom Crean? Of course not, but I refuse to take part in that "stand until they score" carp. There's too much choreography going on! I know when to stand and when to sit. This is akin to "Make Noise" graphics on the scoreboard...totally contrived

Do you not by nike shoes or apparel anymore because they sponsor the current coach and administration? I refuse to wear Nike and it has nothing to do with our coach. I just don't like Nike or what they stand for.

So, PRN, what exactly DO you like about Marquette?  >:(

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 01:09:03 PM »

Answers:

So, PRN, what exactly DO you like about Marquette?  >:(

That is a good point, you seem awfully critical about every aspect down to the school colors and the socks that the players wear (not to mention the recruiting, play calling, practice drills, cheers, assistant coaches, transfers, etc.)

Is there something that you DO like about MU? Why do you keep giving the administration that you despise and the coach you hate money by buying a ticket? I understand loyalty, but you're clearly disgruntled to the point where you can't really enjoy anything MU related until the nickname and the coach change.

If you want to make a statement, don't spend your money... that will affect MU more than sitting when people are standing or wearing blue instead of gold.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
I cheer for Marquette, although I admit that I've gone to fewer games this year than in previous years.

All I said was that I don't like being told when to stand or what to wear. And I don't like our point guard's choice of socks (or arm socks).

But I'm still a fan of the team!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »
I cheer for Marquette, although I admit that I've gone to fewer games this year than in previous years.

All I said was that I don't like being told when to stand or what to wear. And I don't like our point guard's choice of socks (or arm socks).

But I'm still a fan of the team!

Hey, maybe you are fan and I should just back off. It's no big deal... but I've been reading these boards for a while and you have continuously ripped:

the administration
the board of directors
the coaches
the old logo
the new logo
the colors
the players socks
the players armbands
the gametime activities
the FREE t-shirts
the practices
the expectations of the fans
the recruiting
the players themselves

and the temperature of the Bradley Center beer (I'm exaggerating about the beer).

I know we as fans are passionate and want the best, but maybe you could temper your outlook and just ENJOY being a MU fan.

MU hoops is for entertainment, if you aren't entertained or pleased with the direction of the product, don't watch it or buy it. (just like you seem to have done with Nike).

I'm sure Nike isn't crying that you aren't purchasing their products, and I'm sure MU won't cry if you decide to go to zero games a year.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »
Hey, maybe you are fan and I should just back off. It's no big deal... but I've been reading these boards for a while and you have continuously ripped:

the administration
the board of directors
the coaches
etc.
I'm certainly not PRN's biggest fan, and it's obviously not my duty to defend him, but people should just lay off.  First, I get tired of the pissing contests where some posters try to prove that they are bigger fans than other posters.  Pretty much everyone here is a fan of the program, and the fact that many of us waste an inordinate amount of time reading these forums shows that we border on being obsessive fans.  Second, although he is generally more negative than most, in the last couple of weeks, I've seen him compliment the current uniforms (although not wild about the gold, obviously), last year's team, Barro & Burke, and the t-shirts they're giving out of NMD.

I have absolutely no doubt that PRN is a big fan, and as such, he's entitled to complain about everything he wants to complain about.  I don't agree, and I sometimes think it's a little sad to have so much hostility for the program you follow, but that's his business.  And,  I wouldn't assume that he doesn't enjoy being a fan -- I think he probably does, or he wouldn't be there.  I don't know PRN or much about him, but I do know a lot of people who just aren't happy unless they're pissed about something.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:46:16 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »
Ok, in an attempt to lighten the mood, am I the only one who reads the title of this thread and thinks, "Need more cowbell."  ? ;D

feedback