collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WIAA Court  (Read 1823 times)

wadesworld

• All American
WIAA Court
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:42:54 PM »
Just curious, I assume the Kohl Hole court is one that can be switched out?  If so, I've never understood why they wouldn't put in a different court that is actually the length of a high school court, rather than leaving the Badger's court out there, which is obviously the college/pro size court.  You have these kids practicing and playing on one size court the entire season and then the last 2 days of their season they have to play on a court that is (I believe) 10 feet longer than what they've been playing on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
Re: WIAA Court
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
By the way, Sam Hauser is really good.  He'll contribute (probably not huge numbers, but just being a solid guy) next year.  Really fundamental, lets the game come to him, makes the right decision every time, and a much, much better defender, rebounder, and athlete than I thought he was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 11:16:15 PM »
When I was in high school we made state for football.  This was back when they had the really crappy astroturf field at Camp Randall.  I never understood why they would have teams play their entire season in cleats on grass and the most important game in sneakers on carpeted concrete.

Also, TIL (today I learned) that high school basketball courts are smaller than college/pro courts.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
The extra 10 feet isn't that big of a deal, and I'm guessing the extra cost of making a high school length floor isn't justified when they can use the UW floor for free.  When I was in HS, they also played most of the Sectional games on college courts, and we practiced at the local college for a week to help get used to it and adjust.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 03:13:56 PM »
The extra 10 feet isn't that big of a deal, and I'm guessing the extra cost of making a high school length floor isn't justified when they can use the UW floor for free.  When I was in HS, they also played most of the Sectional games on college courts, and we practiced at the local college for a week to help get used to it and adjust.

Agree to disagree.  The 10 feet of extra court is a very big deal, especially for teams that like to run any kind of high pressure defense (whether it be a full court press all game, some kind of half court trap, or just a tough man to man where you're all over them the second they cross half court).  For example, Brookfield Central always used to (and may still) run a 1-3-1, with the top of the 1-3-1 going out to about the bottom of the half court circle.  When you add 5 feet of extra space that they now have to worry about guarding on the defensive half of the court, it creates a lot more spacing for the offensive team and causes the defense to need to move around a lot more, which could wear the kids down quicker.

feedback