'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Per Mark Miller... Matt Heldt just committed to MU  (Read 106651 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Per Mark Miller... Matt Heldt just committed to MU
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
Reading that Vadger board, all I can say is, "What a bunch of arrogant pricks."

I was thinking the same thing. They have no perspective at all. Provincial doesn't begin to describe the in-bred insularity

Death on call

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
A lot! A WHOLE lot

Nice insightful comment. Keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:01:15 PM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

raul

• Starter
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »
A talented big from WI. who wants to play for MU. It doesn't get better than that. Congrats to mojo wojo

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2014, 06:20:09 AM »
Very interesting pickup. Looks like a kid who kept improving and is on his way up the rankings.

This is a definite change in recruiting style -- Buzz didn't go after kids like this period. I'm not sure whether it is totally about style of play, or whether there was an aspect of not wasting effort with players that looked more like UW recruits. I am happy for the commit and to get guys who can shoot, but have a little bit of concern over sustainability of this style of play if it means we are regularly going after the same kids as UW (and the kind of kids they have a track record with). As good as Wisconsin high school kids have been the last few years it may be been fine now but if the well goes dry for a spell we may see some intense competition for recruits who can shoot.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2014, 06:22:11 AM »
ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!!!

If we're doing this traditional transition this is a good pick up.   Gonna struggle on D but like his offensive potential a lot.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2014, 07:22:16 AM »
Novak was highly rated out of high school, top 65 in the country.  Florida, Illinois, etc were recruiting him.  I would be thrilled if this kid was anywhere close to Novak.  Welcome aboard.
The only other 6'10" guy on the planet that shoots like Novak is Durant.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
Fisher and Heldt will probably be more offensive than O'Tule and Gardner.  Different types of players but both the past MU players had issues.  Heldt is a perfect back-up and in 3 years might
have the ability to start.   The recruiting of Wojo reminds me a little bit of Kevin O'Neal first year getting Key, Logeterman and MacIlvane.  Recruit the state first then make connections out of
state the 2nd and third year.  A lot easier to recruit in your backdoor.  Have to get on kids when they are frosh and sophs.  It sounds that the next few years are soft on Division 1 kids, so he will have to recruit out of state.  True test, Duke went everywhere in the country, not sure you can do that at MU.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
Very interesting pickup. Looks like a kid who kept improving and is on his way up the rankings.

This is a definite change in recruiting style -- Buzz didn't go after kids like this period. I'm not sure whether it is totally about style of play, or whether there was an aspect of not wasting effort with players that looked more like UW recruits. I am happy for the commit and to get guys who can shoot, but have a little bit of concern over sustainability of this style of play if it means we are regularly going after the same kids as UW (and the kind of kids they have a track record with). As good as Wisconsin high school kids have been the last few years it may be been fine now but if the well goes dry for a spell we may see some intense competition for recruits who can shoot.

Let's not forget, he got Carlino from Indiana and Levin from the Chicago area. He's gotten some non-WI kids. I think Wojo will be just fine.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:52 AM »
Based on no inside information, strictly opinion, I think our last three 2015 schollies will end up going to:

Haaniff Cheatham 6-5 180 4S SG (FL)
Matt Ryan 6-6 197 3S SF (NY)
Henry Ellenson 6-10 247 5S PF (WI)

With Noskowiak, Heldt, and Levin also coming in, that would make a hella good 2015 crop.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2014, 08:49:13 AM »
Matt Ryan cut us from his list I think.  In RE to Heldt.  Lets say he falls right at the 100 mark in rankings that would put him Apprx the 15th rated Center.  Look at it that way.  We got a commitment from the 15 best Center in the country.  There are so few good Center's that very few end up in the Top 100.  All other positions put 20-25 in the top 100.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Cheatham and both Ellensons.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »
He was considering Davidson until Wojo came on the scene

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2014/07/01/neenahs-matt-heldt-commits-marquette/11929933/

Davidson...Davidson...isn't that the team that should have beaten us in the first round the year that we got to the elite eight?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »

I think that Wojo is more intelligent than to let that become a problem.  Don't you?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »
ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!!!

If we're doing this traditional transition this is a good pick up.   Gonna struggle on D but like his offensive potential a lot.

"traditional transition"  really?

Yes, Marquette is building toward a team that would make Aldolph Rupp proud.

Heldt is a fantastic pickup, period.  No qualifiers necessary.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »

The funny part about it is Buzz would bitch (mostly in private, but enough people who knew him shared with me) about his teams not being able to shoot.  Well, duh, it's because he didn't recruit enough shooters.

As far as Wisconsin having lean years in HS talent, it's going to happen but not a big deal.  Wojo's net (like Buzz, Crean, etc) is cast wider than just Wisconsin and Illinois.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
Matt Ryan cut us from his list I think.  In RE to Heldt.  Lets say he falls right at the 100 mark in rankings that would put him Apprx the 15th rated Center.  Look at it that way.  We got a commitment from the 15 best Center in the country.  There are so few good Center's that very few end up in the Top 100.  All other positions put 20-25 in the top 100.   

Found this from a couple weeks ago. No mention of Marquette.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/notre-dame-duke-carolina-michigan-in-hunt-for-matt-ryan/
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »
Don't know a lot about this kid....but on the surface....getting a high 3 star/low 4 star "big" is something MU has struggled with over and over and over.  We should be happy with Wojo being able to get a commit from this kid.  I think part of the concern some have, is - are we going to become "Traditional U," and in so becoming - lose some of mystique of Marquette's best teams typically being composed of black kids from urban areas, tough backgrounds...who became true warriors...and were incredibly fun to watch.

And the truth of the matter is, generally speaking, black kids tend to be better basketball players than white kids.  Of course not true in all cases...but we can look to the NBA and see all the proof of that generalization we need.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »
Found this from a couple weeks ago. No mention of Marquette.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/notre-dame-duke-carolina-michigan-in-hunt-for-matt-ryan/

Marquette isn't in the headline but is mentioned (with Duke, Notre Dame, Carolina, Michigan and "a myriad of others") in the text of the article.

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2014, 10:03:54 AM »
Don't know a lot about this kid....but on the surface....getting a high 3 star/low 4 star "big" is something MU has struggled with over and over and over.  We should be happy with Wojo being able to get a commit from this kid.  I think part of the concern some have, is - are we going to become "Traditional U," and in so becoming - lose some of mystique of Marquette's best teams typically being composed of black kids from urban areas, tough backgrounds...who became true warriors...and were incredibly fun to watch.

And the truth of the matter is, generally speaking, black kids tend to be better basketball players than white kids.  Of course not true in all cases...but we can look to the NBA and see all the proof of that generalization we need.

...always exceptions...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
Don't know a lot about this kid....but on the surface....getting a high 3 star/low 4 star "big" is something MU has struggled with over and over and over.  We should be happy with Wojo being able to get a commit from this kid.  I think part of the concern some have, is - are we going to become "Traditional U," and in so becoming - lose some of mystique of Marquette's best teams typically being composed of black kids from urban areas, tough backgrounds...who became true warriors...and were incredibly fun to watch.

And the truth of the matter is, generally speaking, black kids tend to be better basketball players than white kids.  Of course not true in all cases...but we can look to the NBA and see all the proof of that generalization we need.

The fact that our entire current roster is sticking around tells you all you need to know, imo.

Wojo likes kids that can play, and seems to be a heck of a recruiter :)

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
Marquette isn't in the headline but is mentioned (with Duke, Notre Dame, Carolina, Michigan and "a myriad of others") in the text of the article.

Makes it a bit ambiguous. Guess it doesn't really say if we're really still in it or not.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
Need a mix of both white and black kids for sure, or better just a bunch of good ballplayers.  Wisco has won that way, but to be elite you need elite players, no matter what color they
are.  Buzz did not recruit those types of kids, it just so happens Wisconsin has a group of good players this year that happen to be white.  Levin and Carlino both can play as well.  Buzz
recruiting basically the backroom places recruited mostly black kids, I think you need a little of both to be successful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
The funny part about it is Buzz would bitch (mostly in private, but enough people who knew him shared with me) about his teams not being able to shoot.  Well, duh, it's because he didn't recruit enough shooters.

As far as Wisconsin having lean years in HS talent, it's going to happen but not a big deal.  Wojo's net (like Buzz, Crean, etc) is cast wider than just Wisconsin and Illinois.

I think Wojo is going to settle into a nice sweet spot between Bo and Buzz, because when you think about it, that's what Duke has become.  Very athletic but also very skilled and balanced 1-5.  Many different ways to skin that cat.  As long as he ends up in the NCAAs like TC & Buzz, I'm good with it.  I felt both TC and Buzz neglected kids like Heldt.  Grab 1 every year.  KO seemed to be the best at that.  Sometimes you get Amal, sometimes you get Richard Shaw.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2014, 10:25:49 AM »
This entire black/white argument is dumb...beyond dumb.

Buzz emphasized different basketball skills than Wojo seems to.  Buzz emphasized getting the ball into the lane and attacking the basket.  If how Duke recruits is any indication, Wojo puts a preference on outside shooting. 

We shouldn't care how the team looks or what kind of balance we have.  I am pretty confident that good basketball coaches don't care.  Just recruit players who can put the ball in the basket and prevent the other team from doing the same and we'll be fine.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
...always exceptions...

Nice find...and Greg Kite's creepy mustache.  Epic.  However, was that the 85 Celtics?  So 30 years ago?!  Definitely the exception to the rule.

But...Wisconsin proved last year you can compete at a high level with a lineup of traditionals.   :D
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback