Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Injury update: McMorrow to undergo surgery, Fulce timetable pushed back  (Read 10203 times)

ToddRosiakSays

Injury update: McMorrow to undergo surgery, Fulce timetable pushed back

Nov. 10, 2008
One of the big benefits to signing sophomore center Liam McMorrow in June was the fact that, despite his relative inexperience, that he'd have roughly 17 months of conditioning, individual workouts and practice time under his belt by the time he'd be eligible to play in 2009.

That plan took a huge hit this week, though, when it was learned that McMorrow will have to undergo surgery on Wednesday to correct a stress fracture in his right foot. The 7-foot Canadian, who has been unable to practice since mid-October because of a stress reaction in that same foot, now will be out for at least three months, coach Buzz Williams said on Monday night.

"I think it's a bad setback, a big setback," said Williams. "I took the hit on him. We're one scholarship down, obviously, and then we're redshirting one, so that leaves us 11 scholarship players. But I wasn't going to pass up a 7-footer with an open scholarship on June 26. I also knew that he didn't have a lot of experience, and I thought that every day in practice he would have an opportunity go gain experience.

"Plus, because he's not playing in games, which count as three hours toward the NCAA 20, he can do individual workouts in a mind-boggling number -- Dale Layer is a great individual developer of talent. But now he can't practice or do individual workouts, and like I told the doctors on Saturday when they told me, he ain't going to do anything until March.

"Because when he gets back healthy, whatever time that is in February, we ain't paying attention to him. We don't have time for him to mess up the flow of what we're doing. So it's a big setback, which puts even more pressure on Chris Otule. And he's got probably about as much pressure on him out of any freshman post player in the country. That's where we're at. We'll work at it. We don't talk about pressure; we talk about getting better."

Making matters worse is the timetable for Joe Fulce's recovery has now been pushed back as well. The sophomore forward, who has been out since Nov. 2 with a stress reaction in his right kneecap, now could be out until late December after an original timetable had him out anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

"In my honest opinion, I think he'll play by Presbyterian," said Williams of MU's Dec. 28 home date. "That's what I think. Our doctors and trainers will tell you otherwise, but that's what I think."

Williams said subsequent tests have shown Fulce's knee has not worsened, but that McMorrow's case has underscored the importance of making absolutely certain that the injury has completely healed before giving the 6-7 transfer from Tyler Junior College the green light to return to action.

"It hasn't gotten worse," Williams said of Fulce's injury. "I do believe it's a different deal. When you're 7-foot and you get a stress reaction in the fifth metatarsal, if you're not living in a boot, it'll turn into a break. Joe has a stress reaction in his kneecap. If it becomes a stress fracture, he's done. He's done. That's why I say it'll be Presbyterian."

While McMorrow's loss has no real effect on this season for the Golden Eagles, the loss of Fulce has much more immediacy with the season opener now just four days away.

Not only does it rob Williams of another live, versatile body off the bench, it places even more pressure on Lazar Hayward to play big minutes and stay out of foul trouble. It also makes senior Wesley Matthews the backup power forward, and could also force sophomore Jimmy Butler, Fulce's teammate last year at Tyler, to play a few minutes out of position at that spot as well.

None of that is optimal for MU, especially considering Big East play begins just three days after the Presbyterian game. 

Meanwhile, Matthews, who left Saturday's exhibition game against Colorado State-Pueblo after tweaking an ankle, will be ready for Friday's game.

"He's fine. He doesn't have a choice," said Williams. "Whatever his ailment is, we'll tape it up and play."

David Cubillan, who has been out since last week after straining his right Achilles' tendon, is not quite as certain as Matthews. Cubillan is also continuing to recover from off-season surgery on both shoulders.

"Cooby got hurt on Wednesday, I couldn't believe he didn't play on Saturday, he didn't practice today," Williams said. "They told me he's not going to practice tomorrow, so I don't know."

-- Delivered by Feed43 service

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34244774.html

RawdogDX

• All American
He's fine. He doesn't have a choice," said Williams. "Whatever his ailment is, we'll tape it up and play."

David Cubillan, who has been out since last week after straining his right Achilles' tendon, is not quite as certain as Matthews. Cubillan is also continuing to recover from off-season surgery on both shoulders.

"Cooby got hurt on Wednesday, I couldn't believe he didn't play on Saturday, he didn't practice today," Williams said. "They told me he's not going to practice tomorrow, so I don't know."

Do these quotes sound a little weird to anyone else?   

dwaderoy2004

• All American
mike kinsella redux?

RJax55

• All American
Yes, Buzz is disclosing too much information.

Now, I like the fact that Buzz does give more information about what is going on than TC, but Buzz needs to filter some of his comments as well.

Schoonts

• Walk-On
I also got rubbed a little funny by this.  I am keeping an open mind, and am not a Tom Crean at all, but this along with the way he acted on Homer's show last night has got me a little uneasy about the situation.  I WANT to like him.  I'm still keeping an open mind.

deerchaser

• Starter
I also got rubbed a little funny by this.  I am keeping an open mind, and am not a Tom Crean at all, but this along with the way he acted on Homer's show last night has got me a little uneasy about the situation.  I WANT to like him.  I'm still keeping an open mind.

For those of us who didn't listen in can you elaborate on what was meant by this?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
For those of us who didn't listen in can you elaborate on what was meant by this?

Brent is an emotional man and that came out during the interview. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Wait... did he choke up with emotion AGAIN on the radio program?

edit: I listened to it, and he did not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:55:50 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

🏀

• All American
Brent is an emotional man and that came out during the interview. 

Oh...boy...

Schoonts

• Walk-On

It started off with him calling Homer "Old..."  In an akward way.  I know it sounds playful here, and maybe it was just misguided and homer isn't the best interviewer(I'm a huge fan though) but it seemed weird.  Much like the above.

4everwarriors

• All American
Does Buzz have issues?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Schoonts

• Walk-On
I'm probably just being over analytical...  But do you agree 4ever that the Rosiak interview is a little weird?

RedWebster

• Starter
Our AD knew that this peculiar behavior would surface since Buzz had a track record of it at New Orleans. He wouldn't have hired a guy to be the university's most high profile employee knowing he cries during post game interviews, crawls on his hands and knees during games and keeps a running count of how many days he's been in charge. Would he?

I wonder if Buzz keeps count of how many days since he left New Orleans?

4thAndState

• Starter
Our AD knew that this peculiar behavior would surface since Buzz had a track record of it at New Orleans. He wouldn't have hired a guy to be the university's most high profile employee knowing he cries during post game interviews, crawls on his hands and knees during games and keeps a running count of how many days he's been in charge. Would he?

I wonder if Buzz keeps count of how many days since he left New Orleans?

And, "RedWebster/AbeForman/BadgerFan/Mr.StablityHimself" -- you have evidence of the above? If Buzz was as off-the-wall as you seem to think, I do not believe the entire returning team would be as focused and detemined; he would not have landed a top 10 recruiting class and he would not have attracted the top-flight assistants he has. But then, again, everyone else is nuts and you are sane.

RedWebster

• Starter
And, "RedWebster/AbeForman/BadgerFan/Mr.StablityHimself" -- you have evidence of the above? If Buzz was as off-the-wall as you seem to think, I do not believe the entire returning team would be as focused and detemined; he would not have landed a top 10 recruiting class and he would not have attracted the top-flight assistants he has. But then, again, everyone else is nuts and you are sane.

Everybody is not nuts. But some people are.

RedWebster

• Starter
And, "RedWebster/AbeForman/BadgerFan/Mr.StablityHimself" -- you have evidence of the above? If Buzz was as off-the-wall as you seem to think...

Incidentally, are you admitting that if Buzz does have a track record of doing such things, does regularly weep during press conferences, crawls on his hands and knees during games and continues to keep a running count of the days since he's been hired that it would qualify him as a certified odd ball?

The reason I ask, is that every single thing mentioned above is an iron clad fact.

This is the guy doing PR for Marquette University on national television twice a week for the next 4 months!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
This is the guy doing PR for Marquette University on national television twice a week for the next 4 months!

You need to look on the bright side - if indeed Buzz will regularly do all these things, he is a PR genius!  The national media will talking about Marquette basketball everyday - something even Tanning Cream couldn't accomplish!

jce

Wasn't Al McGuire an emotional guy who cried and carried on during games?  If the guy can coach, I don't care if he sucks his thumb and curls into the fetal position during the post game presser.

jficke13

• All American
So our negatives of Buzz are as follows: He's emotional, he cares about his job, he cares about his players, he get's intense during games and he is extremely detail oriented and analytical?

This is the worst we can come up with? Bobby Knight comes to mind as a guy with far worse negatives that people put up with just because he can coach. Frankly, I think that Buzz's oddities are symptoms of caring so much about the game and that's not something that I think we should criticize.

Markusquette

• All American
So our negatives of Buzz are as follows: He's emotional, he cares about his job, he cares about his players, he get's intense during games and he is extremely detail oriented and analytical?

This is the worst we can come up with? Bobby Knight comes to mind as a guy with far worse negatives that people put up with just because he can coach. Frankly, I think that Buzz's oddities are symptoms of caring so much about the game and that's not something that I think we should criticize.

Definitely have to agree with you there. 

reinko

• All American

+100000000

nola03

Being emotional about the game and detail oriented is great.  :)

Crying during post game press conferences and announcing how many days you've been on the job in every single interview is not so great.  :-X

Finding a middle ground would be welcome relief and maybe his somewhat strange behavior this week is due to being nervous as hell about Friday night.

spartan3186

• All American
I've kind of refrained from saying anything about buzz until this point but I think I need to say something. I really started putting this all together at marquette madness

In college basketball the coach, not the players are the face of the program. The coach is there year after year and the players are constantly in flux. It is for this reason that the coach needs to be personable and a good PR person. I am not entirely convinced Buzz has what it takes to be the face of a program at the High D1 level. Think of the high major coaches with successful programs. They are all the face of their program, perosnable, and sell their team well. From what I have seen Buzz does not really fit this bill. Marquette madness lacked the luster it typically has, it is the one time I have missed Crean. The event is to pump people up and the mens event was a downer. Now Buzz is having overly emotional pressers and what not.

Maybe this can be learned over time. I was not around when Crean came in so I do not know how this compares. I just think in college hoops you need a coach to be the face of the program. I hope Buzz can do it. At this point I am not convinced

Daniel

• All American
The above quotes from Buzz sound like he is frustrated with the situation with all these injuries.  He knows the eyes are on him this year for everything - recruiting, and how THIS team will perform throughout the season and into the tourney.  So he takes a chance on McMorrow, as he says, and he's injured and out for any practiuce that was supposed to get him ready for next year.  Cubie is still out, not ony with shoulder stuff, but now a strained achilles - ugh - and the docs are telling him he's nbot practicing today eitehr - sounds like Buzz is waiting for the good news.  Then Fulce - injured with theorethically the asme injury as McMorrow, and now his return is postponed - and when they are postponed, you just don;t know how long it will really be.

So to me, he sounds very frustrated.  I didn't hear the Homer interview.  But I think we need/expect to see a positive spin - and we are getting the truth - we're not used to it!  He may not be a great face man - that remains to be seen, though.  We have to cut some slack here I think....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I've kind of refrained from saying anything about buzz until this point but I think I need to say something. I really started putting this all together at marquette madness

In college basketball the coach, not the players are the face of the program. The coach is there year after year and the players are constantly in flux. It is for this reason that the coach needs to be personable and a good PR person. I am not entirely convinced Buzz has what it takes to be the face of a program at the High D1 level. Think of the high major coaches with successful programs. They are all the face of their program, perosnable, and sell their team well. From what I have seen Buzz does not really fit this bill. Marquette madness lacked the luster it typically has, it is the one time I have missed Crean. The event is to pump people up and the mens event was a downer. Now Buzz is having overly emotional pressers and what not.

Maybe this can be learned over time. I was not around when Crean came in so I do not know how this compares. I just think in college hoops you need a coach to be the face of the program. I hope Buzz can do it. At this point I am not convinced

I said something very similar on several occasions.  In the NBA, it's about the players.  In college, it's about the coach.  Players come and go, the program endures if the coach is strong.  Not so in the NBA where so many other things are in play.

Like it or not, the coach is the face of the program in college (be it football, basketball, etc).  Just the way it goes.  It's the reality of the situation.

Now, that doesn't mean it requires a flamboyant person to be successful.  I also think it can be learned.  It does, however, concern me a bit though that the leader is this emotional in times when one would think this much emotion isn't required.  IMO, the key to emotion is to get the troops ready to go when it is needed most often.  But if you're always emotional, it wears on you.  Think of it as a high maintenance girlfriend.  It just wears you out.

Let's hope that's not the case.  Some of what Red Lobster wrote is almost verbatim what New Orleans fans were saying while he was their coach (not sour grapes after he left).  So there is a bit of history there.

feedback