[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Carlino  (Read 92258 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »
Considering the PG position was dismal last season, I don't see a "logjam" at all.

Yeah...exactly.  Potential?  Sure.  Productive?  No.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
BTW, congrats to the "hacks" at Bleacher Report for nailing this one.
Enjoy playing with your new hashtag.
#DoneDeal
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »
My guess is Carlino and D. Wilson get the bulk of the minutes while Duane and John get the scraps.
This was HILARIOUS. You honestly believe that D. Wilson is going to be part of a tandem getting the "bulk" of the minutes at PG. D Wilson is going to do exactly what he's meant to do next year--spell bona fide starters, and play staunch defense for 8-10 minutes every game (assuming his offensive talent hasn't improved).

Norm

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
Again, players will develop regardless of whether they are getting 40 mpg or 1 mpg.  Not taking a player because they will stunt the progress of other players on the rosters is arguably the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board (and it is far from just you suggesting this is the case), and there have been some really, really dumb things said on here.  If Carlino is not a good player and cannot help this team win games, then Duane and John should have no problem beating him out.  If they do have trouble beating him out and Carlino stinks, then regardless of their development, those 2 players will probably never be very good.  If we're worried their feelings will get hurt and they will transfer out because a not-so-good player came in and took their minutes, then they aren't good either and their transfer out won't hurt the future of our program.  This is an absolute no lose situation.  If Carlino sucks and Dawson and Duane don't, then Carlino sits and can pout all he wants, he's out after 1 year.  If Carlino kicks ass and Duane and Dawson are good but just not as good, then we have a lot of talent and depth in the back court.  If they all are bad then we can recruit for the future and stink again next year.  Win-win scenario by getting Carlino.
Well, taking your response and others, it sure seems like I'm in the minority on this one. Also glad I was able to contribute one of the dumbest statements on this board - that is quite an accomplishment!

That said, there is no such thing as an "absolute no lose situation," especially in sports. And with Carlino's attitude in question as leaves BYU, there is a risk of chemistry issues next year - although we had our problems with that this year too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
This was HILARIOUS. You honestly believe that D. Wilson is going to be part of a tandem getting the "bulk" of the minutes at PG. D Wilson is going to do exactly what he's meant to do next year--spell bona fide starters, and play staunch defense for 8-10 minutes every game (assuming his offensive talent hasn't improved).

I think that is what Norm is saying. In most games Carlino will get 30ish minutes and Derrick will get 10ish. Meaning the bulk of the minutes at the 1 goes to them.

I bet we see a lot of three and four guard sets next season. Carlino, Dawson, and Duane all have the ability to play the 1 or the 2. They will share PG duties.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
I think that is what Norm is saying. In most games Carlino will get 30ish minutes and Derrick will get 10ish. Meaning the bulk of the minutes at the 1 goes to them.

I bet we see a lot of three and four guard sets next season. Carlino, Dawson, and Duane all have the ability to play the 1 or the 2. They will share PG duties.
Yes, I was thinking of a scenario that TAMU described.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
Well, taking your response and others, it sure seems like I'm in the minority on this one. Also glad I was able to contribute one of the dumbest statements on this board - that is quite an accomplishment!

That said, there is no such thing as an "absolute no lose situation," especially in sports. And with Carlino's attitude in question as leaves BYU, there is a risk of chemistry issues next year - although we had our problems with that this year too.

Agree...chemistry could be an issue...Carlino has had problems getting along with people at both UCLA and BYU...IU too?

What is he, a 5th year senior after his transfer from IU?  He'll obviously be an upgrade over Derrick.  Will just have to see how it plays out in practice for minutes at PG...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »
Carlino has had problems getting along with people at BYU...

I have buddies who fly for Delta and live in Park City. They have problems with people in Provo. Hell, people in Provo would likely have problems with most of the people on this board. Frankly, I take that as a positive.

Press on, Carlino!

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
I have buddies who fly for Delta and live in Park City. They have problems with people in Provo. Hell, people in Provo would likely have problems with most of the people on this board. Frankly, I take that as a positive.

Press on, Carlino!

It's hard not to be pissed off in Provo when you can't buy a 6 pack for yourself without paying 20 bucks and can only get it from a state liquor store
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
Agree...chemistry could be an issue...Carlino has had problems getting along with people at both UCLA and BYU...IU too?

What is he, a 5th year senior after his transfer from IU?  He'll obviously be an upgrade over Derrick.  Will just have to see how it plays out in practice for minutes at PG...

IIRC, he never played for IU. Committed to them and decommitted to go to UCLA. Never played at UCLA and transferred to BYU. Started from day 1 in Provo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
If we get him do we get to play 5 on 5 again?  If so, I'm all in.

Exactly id take him over #12 any day.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
Exactly id take him over #12 any day.

Who's #12?
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:26 AM »
Who's #12?

#12 in your program but #1 in the hearts of Scoopers...Mr. Derrick Wilson

Death on call

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:31:15 AM by windyplayer »

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »

#12 is a joke offensively and average defensively.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2014, 08:57:35 AM »
I watched the first half of the BYU/MU NCAA tournament game yesterday. Carlino started as a freshmen in that game. He looked good for a freshmen. However, what impressed me the most in that game was how good/talented MU was compared to last season. While I would go with Cadougan, there really was not that much difference between Cadougan and Derrick as juniors. However, there was a huge difference between Cadougan being teamed with DJO vs Wilson being teamed with Thomas. There was an even bigger difference between being teamed with Crowder at power forward vs. Jamil. although I was not a Vander Blue fan he was easily better at the 3 than any of the options that Derrick was teamed with. Throw away the point guards the team of Crowder/DJO/Blue, Jamil would of wiped the floor with Thomas/Jamil/Anderson/Otule. Both teams had Mayo and Gardner coming off the bench. Derrick is not a great point guard, but he is getting more criticism than he should, because the rest of the team was not any good either.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
I watched the first half of the BYU/MU NCAA tournament game yesterday. Carlino started as a freshmen in that game. He looked good for a freshmen. However, what impressed me the most in that game was how good/talented MU was compared to last season. While I would go with Cadougan, there really was not that much difference between Cadougan and Derrick as juniors. However, there was a huge difference between Cadougan being teamed with DJO vs Wilson being teamed with Thomas. There was an even bigger difference between being teamed with Crowder at power forward vs. Jamil. although I was not a Vander Blue fan he was easily better at the 3 than any of the options that Derrick was teamed with. Throw away the point guards the team of Crowder/DJO/Blue, Jamil would of wiped the floor with Thomas/Jamil/Anderson/Otule. Both teams had Mayo and Gardner coming off the bench. Derrick is not a great point guard, but he is getting more criticism than he should, because the rest of the team was not any good either.

Have to agree, Derrick is even worse on a bad team, on a good team he would be fine.  Jamil, average player, hot and cold.  Anderson big disappointment, Love Chris as a person but not really
a good player, not sure how much he improved offensively over 6 years,  and Thomas was good and bad, as a walk-on pretty good, but not an everyday player.  You can see why MU was 17-15.  Add Buzz's style of bringing in players every minute and I am sure there were quite a few unhappy players last year.  Hopefully there will be a smaller rotation next year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »

Testify. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »
Testify.

Watching Carlino right now during Pepperdine-Byu game, Carlino is thin, not to athletic, lots of bench time, he will have to earn his minutes,  no guarentee he starts next year, Derrick,much more athletic.  Has not payed the last 10 minutes in second half, I can see why he transferred.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
For a little perspective
Carlino 1,201 career points
Mayo 738 career points
MU's other 9 players combine for 1,087 career points

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »

Sssssshhhhhh.  You're just a Derrick slurper.  He wouldn't start on a D3 team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »
Sssssshhhhhh.  You're just a Derrick slurper.  He wouldn't start on a D3 team.
Just goes to show how bad Dawson is that he could not beat out a point guard that would not start at a division 3 school.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »

Hahaha

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
Just goes to show how bad Dawson is that he could not beat out a point guard that would not start at a division 3 school.

Dawson was given exactly one game of equal minutes to what Derrick averaged all season.  He scored 12 points in that game.  7 in Overtime.  Dawson has tripled Derrick's career 3 point FG's made in just spotty action as a freshman. Dawson shoots 81% from the line.  Dawson has to be defended everywhere on the court...defenses don't sag off of him 6 feet.

Buzz had a hardcore Derrick Crush last year, and obviously knew he was on his way out and didn't care about developing the freshman.

Will be interesting to see if MU posts better than a 17-15 record next year, 9-9 in Big East and if Derrick plays less than 10 minutes.  Would be really bizarre for the team to improve if he wasn't major problem...as we lost our top 2 scorers off the team - Jamil and Gardner - along with our starting 2 guard who Buzz CHOSE to play max minutes as well.

No way should the team be better next season...but...I have a strong feeling Derrick will NOT be getting 31 minutes a game next year...and in turn...the team likely will be better...even though it lost its two best players to graduation.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback