[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who is the best men's hoop coach at MU since Al?

Hank Raymonds
11 (4.7%)
Rick Majerus
13 (5.6%)
Bob Dukiet
3 (1.3%)
Kevin
23 (9.9%)
Mike Deane
1 (0.4%)
Tom Crean
50 (21.5%)
Buzz  Williams
132 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author Topic: Best MU men's basketball coach since Al  (Read 13220 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Best MU men's basketball coach since Al
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
Buzz. S16, S16, E8. Humiliated UW by stealing Vander. Walk-it-out on the sidelines against Louisville. Dance to Country Roads. Highly entertaining when he was "on." 5/6 years were thrilling.

Crean a close 2nd. Brought my favorite basketball player of all time to MU and the final 4 run was the best thing a freshman could have asked for.

I echo the sentiments expressed by some others that I hope in  10-15 years this is a no-brainer for Wojo. Would be quite the ride.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
I think the lack of support for Hank stems from the fact that a lot of people weren't around when he coached. 
Hank was known as Al's X and O guy.  If he had hot shot recruiters with him, he would have won this thing hands down.

He was Bruce Weber before Bruce Weber.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:58 AM »
Hank was known as Al's X and O guy.  If he had hot shot recruiters with him, he would have won this thing hands down.

He was Bruce Weber before Bruce Weber.

Although he did recruit Doc.
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
Sir Lawrence

I think Rick had a big role in landing Doc, but he was a Hank recruit.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
Goose, you might be right, but here's a tidbit from Hank's obituary write up in the Journal/Sentinel:

Doc Rivers, current Boston Celtics coach and Raymonds' highest-profile signee at MU, recounted Raymonds' recruiting pitch while he was also considering signing with DePaul, Indiana, Michigan and Notre Dame.

"One of the first things he told me is, 'You're going to be a pro basketball player. There's no doubt about that. And good for you. Now, what are you going to do after that?' " Rivers recalled. " 'Will you be prepared after your basketball career to do something else and be something else? What are you going to do?'

"Well, as a kid, all I'm thinking about is, 'Hell, the pro basketball part sounds good to me, Coach,' and I'll stop there. And he really made you understand no, you can't stop there. That's a great goal, but then what's the goal after that?"

Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »

Agree with Tower's comments.  Hank was a fantastic assistant and a wonderful and loyal person, but took us in the wrong direction as HC.  He inherited a team that was arguably better than the '77 team that won the NC, and 6 years later handed Rick a program that was fading from the national consciousness.

I loved Hank...but the best coaches on the list while they were at MU were clearly KO, TC and Bart.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:14:06 PM by GooooMarquette »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
Hank was the greatest assistant in Marquette history.  He deserves credit for exactly that.  Perfect fit with Al.  Wonderful and kind man from all accounts.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
My junior year at MU (Majerus' first year as coach) we beat a very good Louisville team at Freedom Hall that ended a long home court winning streak for them. My friends and I were so excited we decided to call Hank at his home to celebrate. He was very gracious, as well as very excited about the win. He told us we should meet the team at the Gym when they got back into town. I asked him if he meant the Gym Bar and he laughed and said that would be fun too. Great guy.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2014, 01:55:47 PM »
I voted for buzz because year in and year out he coached up his team 08-13 (14 wasn't coaching...it was a suicide mission)

We reaped the benefits of crean's classes for 2 years.  buzz built on them, made his style team, and got us continued success for a decent stretch.  

We should be happy that we made the tourney 8 years in a row and had a coach that didn't let us fall into forgetsville.

Crean laid the groundwork buzz made it happen

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
My junior year at MU (Majerus' first year as coach) we beat a very good Louisville team at Freedom Hall that ended a long home court winning streak for them. My friends and I were so excited we decided to call Hank at his home to celebrate. He was very gracious, as well as very excited about the win. He told us we should meet the team at the Gym when they got back into town. I asked him if he meant the Gym Bar and he laughed and said that would be fun too. Great guy.

Was that the win where Majerus said "I'm going to eat every rib in Louisville tonight" in the post-game interview?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
Was that the win where Majerus said "I'm going to eat every rib in Louisville tonight" in the post-game interview?

Yes it was.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"