[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach K on the Marquette Basketball Hour tonight  (Read 22798 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Coach K on the Marquette Basketball Hour tonight
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:44 PM »
Coach K, Wojo and Homer talking all things Marquette, including D Wade!

Great Stuff

http://www.espn.com/milwaukee/

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Re: Coach K on the Marquette Basketball Hour tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »
Interesting part coach K brought up,

I’m somewhat paraphrasing, but he stated coach Wojo steeped into a rebuilding mode with MU, and had to turn around what kind of students and athletes MU wanted at their school.

I don’t think he’s wrong, and I agree.

Was that a jab at buzz?

Great interview, always will cheer for duke since we got Wojo.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:15:10 PM »

I’m somewhat paraphrasing, but he stated coach Wojo steeped into a rebuilding mode with MU, and had to turn around what kind of students and athletes MU wanted at their school.

Was that a jab at buzz?

That’s pretty much what I understood him to mean as well.

Homer painted MU post-Al with a negative broad brush, inferring a sort of Dark Age. No talk of successes of the mid 90s and 2000s, and didn’t  seem to grasp K correctly arguing the Marquette brand as having withstood the test of time.

Struck by how genuinely K loves Marquette. Neat hearing him describe how many friends from his youth went to MU.

I’m paraphrasing you here, but Wojo has sort of lifted the veil off Coach K and Duke, and showed us all that the people who run the hoops program there are pretty decent guys. They are elite, without being elitist, as has often been accused. Wojo described Wade in the same manner. Strive for being elite, but maintain your down-to-Earth nature.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 10:43:32 PM »
I don't know if he meant for it to be a slight to ol' Buzzard, but it certainly came off that way.  He pretty much said Wojo got back to doing things the Marquette way, which also happens to be Wojo's way! 

The implication was, things weren't being done with honesty and integrity prior to his arrival, and he had a mess to clean up.

Loved how K gushed about Wade being humble, hard working and a uniquely great guy even after all the success he's had.  Which, unfortunately, is not common.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:42:18 PM by 94Warrior »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »

Was that a jab at buzz?

I cheer for Duke just as I always cheer for other Big East (and future Big East) teams. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:25:51 PM »
I cheer for Duke just as I always cheer for other Big East (and future Big East) teams.

Who are the future Big East teams?  I'd like to know.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 11:34:47 PM »
Coach K, Wojo and Homer talking all things Marquette, including D Wade!

Great Stuff

http://www.espn.com/milwaukee/

This is why the power point was so important.....also why I think Wojo is the heir to replace K....but for now let’s enjoy.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 11:50:55 PM »
Who are the future Big East teams?  I'd like to know.

Whoever you want them to be.  IMO - Phase I will likely be be at least one from the A-10 plus either a second from the A-10 or someone from the AAC.

Phase II is entirely dependent on who raids who between the ACC and SEC (more specifically, which conference’s members start taking a hard look at dropping foosball).  If the SEC is the aggressor, Duke, UConn, one of Wake Forest, Cincy or Pitt, and a team that shalt not be mentioned are probably the most likely to jump (yes, Cincy isn’t ACC, but such a scenario likely seals their fate unless B12 comes calling, which my guess is that they’ll be too focused poaching from another P5 themselves) but if it’s the ACC that raids (read: foosball maintains status quo), there may not be a Phase II for ththe BE.

This isn’t anytime soon, however. We’re looking at as many as 5-10 years before Phase I and upwards of 20 years before Phase II materializes. 

Bottom line, is that to maximize tourney shares, they need to maximize their ceiling on the NET and other ratings, which the math gives bias to conferences with more than 10 members.  So 12 is imminent, 14 is likely and 16 is not out of the question.   The only question is who, and when.

I think Duke gets there.  May take them until 2040, but I just don’t see them hanging on to football forever. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:06 AM »
Always hated Duke. Just got sick and tired of them being the golden boy of basketball. However it's hard not to repsect.coach K. After this interview I guess I can be happy to see him win a few more titles in his final years

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 12:26:48 AM »
This is why the power point was so important.....also why I think Wojo is the heir to replace K....but for now let’s enjoy.

Let’s get it straight...

Wojo is the heir to replace the guy who replaces Coach K.

Coach McGuire pitied Hank for having to follow in his footsteps. Doubt K wants that same weight on Wojo, and remember also the words of coach Carrawell: “Wojo wants to make his own mark.”

Crean and O’Neill found the grass elsewhere no greener, and both have since admitted it. No way do I pretend to know Coach Wojo’s intentions or best path to take....but I know this....the people at MU are first-rate. Wojo knows it because he’s seen it first-hand, and K has too, dating back to his MU-bound HS friends. 

Let’s give our Coach every reason to make his best mark right here.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 12:44:39 AM »
Let’s get it straight...

Wojo is the heir to replace the guy who replaces Coach K.

Coach McGuire pitied Hank for having to follow in his footsteps. Doubt K wants that same weight on Wojo, and remember also the words of coach Carrawell: “Wojo wants to make his own mark.”

Crean and O’Neill found the grass elsewhere no greener, and both have since admitted it. No way do I pretend to know Coach Wojo’s intentions or best path to take....but I know this....the people at MU are first-rate. Wojo knows it because he’s seen it first-hand, and K has too, dating back to his MU-bound HS friends. 

Let’s give our Coach every reason to make his best mark right here.

I hope you are right, but I have a feeling K asks him to take the reigns, and that will be very tough to say no.

For now, I am enjoying this.  I believe strongly in the approach and philosophy which should surprise no one.

Go Warriors

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 12:46:07 AM »
Always hated Duke. Just got sick and tired of them being the golden boy of basketball. However it's hard not to repsect.coach K. After this interview I guess I can be happy to see him win a few more titles in his final years

Respect greatness.  Pats, Duke, etc...can be frustrating at times, but they accomplish what they do because they embody greatness.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 12:53:49 AM »
I hope you are right, but I have a feeling K asks him to take the reigns, and that will be very tough to say no.

For now, I am enjoying this.  I believe strongly in the approach and philosophy which should surprise no one.

Go Warriors

I hope I am too. This is probably not relevant because all coaching tree friends say this...but K said in the Homer interview that he will never schedule Marquette or Northwestern for having to compete against his close friends. Wouldn’t a Duke coach Wojo be essentially playing against K’s legend?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 01:00:21 AM »
Respect greatness.  Pats, Duke, etc...can be frustrating at times, but they accomplish what they do because they embody greatness.

Yep. I’m a horse racing fan, as if you couldn’t tell. I fall into this same trap when people discuss the greatness of trainer Bob Baffert. I feel he gets handed superior horse-flesh.  However, I let my disdain for the media fawning all over him  cloud my judgment. Despite his advanced starting point, he really does move a horse way up with his training.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 01:51:48 AM »
Coach K alluded to wojo being on his show? Anybody have the link to that?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 06:28:48 AM »
That’s pretty much what I understood him to mean as well.

Homer painted MU post-Al with a negative broad brush, inferring a sort of Dark Age. No talk of successes of the mid 90s and 2000s, and didn’t  seem to grasp K correctly arguing the Marquette brand as having withstood the test of time.

Struck by how genuinely K loves Marquette. Neat hearing him describe how many friends from his youth went to MU.

I’m paraphrasing you here, but Wojo has sort of lifted the veil off Coach K and Duke, and showed us all that the people who run the hoops program there are pretty decent guys. They are elite, without being elitist, as has often been accused. Wojo described Wade in the same manner. Strive for being elite, but maintain your down-to-Earth nature.

This is amazing.  First we had Tom Crean reinvent MU hoops and save us from 25 years of ineptitude and now we have Wojo doing the same thing except he gets to save us from 40 years of ineptitude. 

I’ll just pretend I never ran to the lake with all of McCormick Hall in 94, ran the table in STL in 97, and cheered on a 3 straight S16 run post 2010. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »
This is amazing.  First we had Tom Crean reinvent MU hoops and save us from 25 years of ineptitude and now we have Wojo doing the same thing except he gets to save us from 40 years of ineptitude. 

I’ll just pretend I never ran to the lake with all of McCormick Hall in 94, ran the table in STL in 97, and cheered on a 3 straight S16 run post 2010.

Did you listen to it? I didn't get that vibe at all from Homer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 06:40:58 AM »

I agree. He mentioned how MU wasn’t at the level of Al McGuire the last 40 years and if Coach K still felt the same way of MU being a top coaching job.  This was after Coach K talked about playing against MU in the McGuire era while at Army I believe. K did mention in one answer how Wojo had to rebuild.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »

No. I was a little busy last night.  Just read the post Al “dark age” comments.

Hey at least we talked about Al.  He doesn’t get enough recognition.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 06:53:00 AM »
Not a fan of how coach k treated guys who left early...but he certainly is no Rick Pitino...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »
Not a fan of how coach k treated guys who left early...but he certainly is no Rick Pitino...

Which is surprising, since Pitino should have sympathy for premature departures.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 07:00:33 AM »
No. I was a little busy last night.  Just read the post Al “dark age” comments.

Hey at least we talked about Al.  He doesn’t get enough recognition.

Listen and form an opinion for yourself when you get a chance. I think northerndancecult may have misinterpreted what was said.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 07:08:23 AM »
I don't know if he meant for it to be a slight to ol' Buzzard, but it certainly came off that way.  He pretty much said Wojo got back to doing things the Marquette way, which also happens to be Wojo's way! 

The implication was, things weren't being done with honesty and integrity prior to his arrival, and he had a mess to clean up.

This does not conflict with anythling I heard from members of the the administration immediately pre-Wojo.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »
Just by chance, I got in the car 30 seconds before Coach K joined the show.  I did not pick up any kind of slights against any part of Marquette's history.  I thought the closest dig was actually against Wojo. Coach K was trying to comment on how well this year is going and he said what a large improvement they've made this year.  Followed by an slightly awkward, "not that they were BAD before..."

I enjoyed it very much.  Was slightly confused when Coach K referenced "Steve".  The first time I thought he was talking about Homer so I assumed that's who he was talking about later.  Totally forgot for the moment that Wojo's name is Steve too.  Only think of him as Wojo. Duh.  When he later referred to Homer as "the guy you do the show with" I figured out he wasn't good friends with Homer

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 07:23:10 AM »
I respect/pull for Duke because they stopped the unthinkable from happening....unthinkable.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

feedback