[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach K on the Marquette Basketball Hour tonight  (Read 22478 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Coach K on the Marquette Basketball Hour tonight
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
Wades....give K credit, he adapted.  The freshmen wait their turn approach was no longer going to cut it at a school like that. 

Pretty good article on the change

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/1/25/16928168/duke-basketball-one-and-done-zion-williamson-coach-k
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »
The entire basketball work changed.  One and dones at high rate of volume.  You know this already.

There have been high rates of one and dones since the day the one and done rule was introduced. Cal was doing it for years before K.

But sure. The FBI has a Kansas assistant on the phone talking about Zion Williams’s financial requirements with one of the shoe people charged with a federal bribery crime but Kansas, a team that has had players sitting out because they were getting paid, weren’t willing to meet Zion’s financial requirements (lol) so he chose to go to Duke for free. Lol.

Or maybe the phone conversation was “I have this 5 star recruit who has financial requirements. He’s asking for $0.00!”

Fair enough Cheeks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »
Cam Reddish was also seen leaving a restaurant with Rich Paul 2 years ago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2019, 09:19:44 AM »

Is this going to be your new Arrieta did roids stick?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »
Completely random, but never knew this until reading the Athletic this morning about Duke and North Carolina pick up games involving Jordan.  Duke University was called Trinity College when the rivalry and was renamed after Washington Duke, the father of James Duke.  Duke University is the fifth name of the school in their history.

Brown School (1838-1841)
Union Institute (1841-1851)
Normal College (1851-1859)
Trinity College (1859-1924)
Duke University (1924 - today)

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »
Is this going to be your new Arrieta did roids stick?

If people are as naïve about all Duke players choosing Duke for free over hundreds of thousands of dollars to play at the likes of Arizona or Kansas as they are about Arrieta never having taken steroids despite being a guy who couldn't stick in the MLB to suddenly "figuring it out" at the young age of 28 years old and becoming the best pitcher in baseball, then sure.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
Brew
Did you think MU cheated in last ten years or just benefited?

Goose, do you think MU cheated during the Al era?

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
If people are as naïve about all Duke players choosing Duke for free over hundreds of thousands of dollars to play at the likes of Arizona or Kansas as they are about Arrieta never having taken steroids despite being a guy who couldn't stick in the MLB to suddenly "figuring it out" at the young age of 28 years old and becoming the best pitcher in baseball, then sure.

Naive question - Given the obvious "money laundering" involved in such schemes, it makes you wonder why there are not more criminal probes into college athletics? 

Jaded question - Given the size, scope, and scale of such schemes, you wonder why law enforcement even bothered with the current criminal probe in college recruiting?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »
Which is surprising, since Pitino should have sympathy for premature departures.
Now...that...is funny.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
Goose, do you think MU cheated during the Al era?

I remember Bo often drove a really nice Mercedes (registered to Al - hence legal).  Every Al did was overt like that.  Nothing that was not legal, but often close to the edge.  He took great care of the players, so they came for him more than perks.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »

I remember Bo often drove a really nice Mercedes (registered to Al - hence legal).  Every Al did was overt like that.  Nothing that was not legal, but often close to the edge.  He took great care of the players, so they came for him more than perks.

Yeah, it was called Herb Kohl!

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »

Where they discussed hyperinflation, quantitative easing by the Fed, Shaka, the National Debt clock, silver/gold as the only real money.....

It’s Happening!

Oops. Wrong R. Paul.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »
BC

Sent you a PM

Goose

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
War1980rior

I do not believe any cars were ever titled in Al’s name. That said, Bo had a great drop top Eldorado one summer, if memory serves me.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2019, 02:05:31 PM »
There have been high rates of one and dones since the day the one and done rule was introduced. Cal was doing it for years before K.

But sure. The FBI has a Kansas assistant on the phone talking about Zion Williams’s financial requirements with one of the shoe people charged with a federal bribery crime but Kansas, a team that has had players sitting out because they were getting paid, weren’t willing to meet Zion’s financial requirements (lol) so he chose to go to Duke for free. Lol.

Or maybe the phone conversation was “I have this 5 star recruit who has financial requirements. He’s asking for $0.00!”

Fair enough Cheeks.

Anything is possible.  However, I think it is also fair enough to say that some schools need to do things others don't.  I think it has been proven over the years that a few schools offered $$ and others didn't, and even in some of those situations they decided to go without the money for other reasons.  That doesn't mean Duke or anyone else isn't cheating, but I do question at this point in time why some of them would have to.  They get who they want and if they don't, they get options 1A or 1B. It isn't worth the risk for someone that has been doing this for 30 years, has a legacy to worry about, etc.  In my opinion.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »
Coach K still passin' on WI recruits and tellin' 'em to commit ta Wojo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
That doesn't mean Duke or anyone else isn't cheating, but I do question at this point in time why some of them would have to.  They get who they want and if they don't, they get options 1A or 1B. It isn't worth the risk for someone that has been doing this for 30 years, has a legacy to worry about, etc.  In my opinion.

In Calipari's first five years at Kentucky, he landed 17 kids in the RSCI's top 20. Duke landed 5.
Kentucky went to three Final Fours and an Elite 8. Duke went to one Final Four (Cal's firsts eason at Ky), one Elite 8 and were bounced in the first round twice.
Kentucky had 13 players go in the first round of the NBA draft, including eight lottery picks. Duke had seven, including three lottery picks.

There's your motivation.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »

Having lived on KU's campus....you might have to pay me to play there vs what I experienced at Duke.   :)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2019, 02:59:08 PM »
Cheeks

Spot on.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
Having lived on KU's campus....you might have to pay me to play there vs what I experienced at Duke.   :)

I mean, Marvin Bagley's family straight up admit that they relied on Nike sponsorships while he was in high school to live off of.  They filed for bankruptcy and sold their house in Arizona in 2011 and reported a household income of $44,000.00/year.  4 years later, when Nike had Marvin's father start an AAU team and sponsored it, Marvin and his family were living in a gated in community in California where houses sold for $750,000.00 to $1.5M and rented for up to $7,500.00/month.

But I'm sure Nike had absolutely no pull in Bagley ending up at Duke.  ::)

I can't believe there are actually people out there that believe Duke doesn't pay players.  (Okay, you got me, it's Nike paying the players and Duke/Coach K "Doesn't know/have anything to do with it.")

Goose

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »
The shoe endorsement deals have been going on for a long, long time. In fact, an MU grad from Al era was one of the first guys on Nike bandwagon. The shoe guys changed the game and how it works today. Nike knows, and has known for decades, how to grease the wheel.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
War1980rior

I do not believe any cars were ever titled in Al’s name. That said, Bo had a great drop top Eldorado one summer, if memory serves me.

I believe he had a Thunderbird at one point, when he was stopped by the Milwaukee Police.

As to the question of whether Coach McGuire cheated, I doubt it. In the early 1970s, Coach McGuire and the NCAA were not on the best of terms. Had to do with the NCAA being in the back pocket of Adolph Rupp, the head basketball coach at the University of Kentucky. As best I can tell, Adolph and Coach McGuire hated each other because our coach had been successful with African-American basketball players. Adolph was a bigot.

The little hint of the NCAA's interest in Marquette went to the outburst Coach McGuire had after the Kansas State game in 1977, on the way to our NatChamp. Coach McGuire was vicious in his criticism of the NCAA and the general thought was it was a release of a ton of pent up emotion and anger. If Coach McGuire had broken the rules, he'd been given a colonoscopy so many times that they would have caught it immediately and Marquette would STILL be on probation!

Keep in mind the rules were very different then than they are now. Also, keep in mind that Coach McGuire was a pioneer in recruiting African American athletes (along with several other coaches) and folks who went to Marquette knew they were getting a fair deal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:46:41 PM by dgies9156 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »
The shoe endorsement deals have been going on for a long, long time. In fact, an MU grad from Al era was one of the first guys on Nike bandwagon. The shoe guys changed the game and how it works today. Nike knows, and has known for decades, how to grease the wheel.

Absolutely.  It goes on at many schools, including Duke.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2019, 07:02:31 PM »
I mean, Marvin Bagley's family straight up admit that they relied on Nike sponsorships while he was in high school to live off of.  They filed for bankruptcy and sold their house in Arizona in 2011 and reported a household income of $44,000.00/year.  4 years later, when Nike had Marvin's father start an AAU team and sponsored it, Marvin and his family were living in a gated in community in California where houses sold for $750,000.00 to $1.5M and rented for up to $7,500.00/month.

But I'm sure Nike had absolutely no pull in Bagley ending up at Duke.  ::)

I can't believe there are actually people out there that believe Duke doesn't pay players.  (Okay, you got me, it's Nike paying the players and Duke/Coach K "Doesn't know/have anything to do with it.")

Yes, and the NCAA and Duke both went through the vetting process.  I get where you are coming from....I have no doubt there are endless coaches and programs that would love to take each other down.  Thus far, it appears either they are doing it really well, or there is no concrete evidence to be had.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article207327084.html

As much as people are saying Kentucky this, Duke that.....the two programs have won a total of three of the last 15 titles.  Yes, that's significant, but plenty of other schools winning without one and dones at the level those two turn them over.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2019, 07:04:43 PM »
Absolutely.  It goes on at many schools, including Duke.

If so, it will come out eventually.  Someone will squeal, have the evidence, write a book, do the tell all story, etc.  Always comes out eventually.

feedback