[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Loserville game thread  (Read 25511 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Loserville game thread
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »
It's not a moronic play to attack the basket and force help.  He made an aggressive basketball play.  You need guys attacking the paint.  Jamal's problem is he's not yet great at doing so going to his left/off hand.

That's a simple fix:  Pull him to the side - I want you to stay aggressive.  Make that same move, but bring it to a jump stop in middle of lane.  Assess -  Shoot?  Shot Fake/then shoot?  Kick out to open shooter on wing?

Do you know how many times Cain has been instructed in just that exact way?  Particularly on shot fakes, and jab steps.  The problem is Cain can't execute it right now, and he was a liability in this game.  If he stays out there, we would have lost.

Cain actually understands he's a bit spastic on offense and even jokes about it. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »
Do you know how many times Cain has been instructed in just that exact way?  Particularly on shot fakes, and jab steps.  The problem is Cain can't execute it right now, and he was a liability in this game.  If he stays out there, we would have lost.

Cain actually understands he's a bit spastic on offense and even jokes about it.

How many times has Cain been instructed this way?  You at practice? 

And for a guy who said he played:  Are you f'in kidding me?  You couldn't execute a jump stop and shot fake? 

EVERY player at the high major level has the ability to execute a jump stop.  So, the fact that we don't see Cain doing it, suggests to me, it is not being drilled into his game.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »
How many times has Cain been instructed this way?  You at practice? 

And for a guy who said he played:  Are you f'in kidding me?  You couldn't execute a jump stop and shot fake? 

EVERY player at the high major level has the ability to execute a jump stop.  So, the fact that we don't see Cain doing it, suggests to me, it is not being drilled into his game.

I can't give you numbers.  But based on his social media feed, and other sources, it is quite clear.

Now the ironic part.  Your other statements reek of coming from a person with no knowledge of actually playing the game of basketball, or no experience working at a high level in any field. 

Every player has the ability to execute a jump stop, and knows the fundamentals, but having the ability and know how is different than actually executing it.  Especially when one goes from low levels of competition, or low levels of difficulty and suddenly has a major jump in both difficulty and expectations. 

Cain knows how and what to do, but is in over his head right now in terms of pace of play and quality of play.  That means he presses too much, gets nervous, and forgets to execute.  It is a common malady of all people when they make major changes to higher levels. 

Think going from being a college QB to the NFL.  All QB's know how to execute the throws and how to go through progressions, but doing that at the pace and difficulty of the NFL is infinitely different than college.  If you force them into it too much, they can get gun-shy and never recover.  Sometimes it is better to sit a person down, to coach them back up, instead of leaving them with their feet against the fire...too often you end up burned for life. 

Really not that complicated, and anyone that has done anything at progressively higher levels of competition would know this.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
I can't give you numbers.  But based on his social media feed, and other sources, it is quite clear.

Now the ironic part.  Your other statements reek of coming from a person with no knowledge of actually playing the game of basketball, or no experience working at a high level in any field. 

Every player has the ability to execute a jump stop, and knows the fundamentals, but having the ability and know how is different than actually executing it.  Especially when one goes from low levels of competition, or low levels of difficulty and suddenly has a major jump in both difficulty and expectations. 

Cain knows how and what to do, but is in over his head right now in terms of pace of play and quality of play.  That means he presses too much, gets nervous, and forgets to execute.  It is a common malady of all people when they make major changes to higher levels. 

Think going from being a college QB to the NFL.  All QB's know how to execute the throws and how to go through progressions, but doing that at the pace and difficulty of the NFL is infinitely different than college.  If you force them into it too much, they can get gun-shy and never recover.  Sometimes it is better to sit a person down, to coach them back up, instead of leaving them with their feet against the fire...too often you end up burned for life. 

Really not that complicated, and anyone that has done anything at progressively higher levels of competition would know this.

Then why doesn't Wojo take Markus out for poor defense?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »
Because 1) his defense has improved and 2) he is too important to the offense

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
It's not a moronic play to attack the basket and force help.  He made an aggressive basketball play.  You need guys attacking the paint.  Jamal's problem is he's not yet great at doing so going to his left/off hand.

That's a simple fix:  Pull him to the side - I want you to stay aggressive.  Make that same move, but bring it to a jump stop in middle of lane.  Assess -  Shoot?  Shot Fake/then shoot?  Kick out to open shooter on wing?

Lol. Re-watch the game. He didn't "make an aggressive basketball play". Hauser flashed to the wide post and Cain had him open for a full second and didn't throw the pass. Then, after he was covered, Cain threw a terrible pass right to the defender for a turnover. Cain barely moved 3 inches on the play.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »

If you take Markus out for poor defense, you put Chartouny in at the point.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »

Would Coach muwarrior69 take Markus out?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »
Let's take it easy on Cain. His defense and rebounding have greatly improved from last season. He did a number on Vick in the Kansas game.  There's a reason he's starting. His offense seems to still be limited to catch and shoot thees. Last night Louisvilles entire strategy was to crowd the three point line. Our defense was clicking and Louisville was taking away Cain's only weapon on the offensive side. Sitting him was the right move IMHO.

I have no doubt that Cain will get plenty of run in the next game because the staff has faith in him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2018, 02:09:39 PM »
Would Coach muwarrior69 take Markus out?

If we had Greg, I would have taken Markus out ( not bench him) during the first half of the UL game as he was clearly not contributing offensively and he is just too small to be an effective defender.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »
Let's take it easy on Cain. His defense and rebounding have greatly improved from last season. He did a number on Vick in the Kansas game.  There's a reason he's starting. His offense seems to still be limited to catch and shoot thees. Last night Louisvilles entire strategy was to crowd the three point line. Our defense was clicking and Louisville was taking away Cain's only weapon on the offensive side. Sitting him was the right move IMHO.

I have no doubt that Cain will get plenty of run in the next game because the staff has faith in him.
Agreed.   Cain will have big minutes and big games coming up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »

Just to be clear.  I think Cain is an asset to this team, and like his progress and upside.  I also think the staff has faith in him, and part of that is putting him into positions where he can build confidence and succeed. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »

Cain knows how and what to do, but is in over his head right now in terms of pace of play and quality of play.  That means he presses too much, gets nervous, and forgets to execute. It is a common malady of all people when they make major changes to higher levels. 

Thanks.  I appreciate that you can acknowledge your original point was ridiculous.  Of course Cain can execute a jump stop and shot fake.

While I appreciate your effort to suggest he's unable to do so because of the pace of play, and trying to make an analogy between a college QB going to the NFL - making a jump stop and putting up a shot fake have absolutely zero to do with pace of play.   

Since I don't follow our players on social media, could you kindly link a few of Cain's posts where he laughs about being spastic on offense?

This all said, I don't doubt Cain feels spastic playing under a coach like Wojo.
To the bolded point - you press as a player far more when you know you are on a short leash, and one or two "mistakes" lands you on the bench.  Getting nailed to the bench for 19:30 does NOTHING to benefit your confidence as a player. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
Thanks.  I appreciate that you can acknowledge your original point was ridiculous.  Of course Cain can execute a jump stop and shot fake.

While I appreciate your effort to suggest he's unable to do so because of the pace of play, and trying to make an analogy between a college QB going to the NFL - making a jump stop and putting up a shot fake have absolutely zero to do with pace of play.   

Since I don't follow our players on social media, could you kindly link a few of Cain's posts where he laughs about being spastic on offense?

This all said, I don't doubt Cain feels spastic playing under a coach like Wojo.
To the bolded point - you press as a player far more when you know you are on a short leash, and one or two "mistakes" lands you on the bench.  Getting nailed to the bench for 19:30 does NOTHING to benefit your confidence as a player.

Yeah, never acknowledged my point was ridiculous. 

Honestly, you're not worth my time, this iteration of you goes onto ignore. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2018, 06:18:42 PM »
If we had Greg, I would have taken Markus out ( not bench him) during the first half of the UL game as he was clearly not contributing offensively and he is just too small to be an effective defender.

So if you recognize that taking Markus out wouldn't make sense, why are  asking that question?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »
And still funny in a bad way. So many people who think they know basketball keep posting. Very SAD!
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2018, 08:26:21 PM »

To the bolded point - you press as a player far more when you know you are on a short leash, and one or two "mistakes" lands you on the bench.  [/b]Getting nailed to the bench for 19:30 does NOTHING to benefit your confidence as a player. [/b]
This is precisely how a coach destroys a young players confidence. Textbook Wojo.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2018, 08:33:32 PM »
This is precisely how a coach destroys a young players confidence. Textbook Wojo.

Oh please.  Tell me which players have had their confidence destroyed under Wojo? 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »

Oh please.  Tell me which players have had their confidence destroyed under Wojo?

Scar and Jamal look very different this year than last year. They took steps back. Morrow is not who he was at Nebraska. Joe C looks far more hesitant on offense now than last season.

Could be 4 coincidences. Could be 4 guys affected by their coach.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
Scar and Jamal look very different this year than last year. They took steps back. Morrow is not who he was at Nebraska. Joe C looks far more hesitant on offense now than last season.

I realize you are looking for any and every reason to bash Wojo, but this is just silly

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
I realize you are looking for any and every reason to bash Wojo, but this is just silly

So you're gonna in the four coincidences club?

Ever play connect the dots?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »
So you're gonna in the four coincidences club?

Ever play connect the dots?
Yeah, I'm gonna in that club for sure.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #222 on: November 24, 2018, 10:56:13 PM »

Jamal is better than he was last season. Sacars defense is better but his offense has seemed to take a step back. But it also took him awhile last season to find his offense. Joe C has always been hesitant on offense. An article got posted here about his Fordham days begging for him to be more aggressive on offense.

Ed is legit though. Looks nothing like he was at Nebraska. Not convinced we've seen everything there is to see from him yet.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2018, 12:28:52 AM »
Jamal is better than he was last season. Sacars defense is better but his offense has seemed to take a step back. But it also took him awhile last season to find his offense. Joe C has always been hesitant on offense. An article got posted here about his Fordham days begging for him to be more aggressive on offense.

Ed is legit though. Looks nothing like he was at Nebraska. Not convinced we've seen everything there is to see from him yet.
I am of the opinion that he is still getting back to 100% after his sports hernia surgery.   

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »
I am of the opinion that he is still getting back to 100% after his sports hernia surgery.

I was going to post the same thing.

The team had a lot of players dealing with rehab this off-season.   Morrow, both Hausers, Elliott and Eke, who are both hurt again.   A bit of a slow start does not surprise me.

The team should be rounding in to form about mid-January.

feedback