collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1121726 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7475 on: July 23, 2020, 04:54:28 PM »
In press conferences we keep hearing how "they should have stopped this" in regards to COVID. That the blame is on China for not getting this under control. It drives me nuts.

We had warning. We knew it existed, what it was, and what could be done to mitigate the spread. And we have failed miserably. We are the worst in the world, and that is our fault. If we couldn't control this at all, with prior warning, and knowledge. Isn't it absurd to criticize another nation for "not controlling it" when it is no longer spreading on their turf, but spreading like wild-fire on ours.

What China could have done better, and should have done in terms of transparency is an open question. But there was no stopping this from getting out of China. It was up to each nation to take proper measures then to stop spread within their own borders. What nation has failed worse in that regards than the rest. It is time we own that.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7476 on: July 23, 2020, 04:59:26 PM »
Right, the "blaming China" line may have made sense in March.  It makes no sense now.  Other countries with similar resources have figured it out.  We dropped the ball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7477 on: July 23, 2020, 05:01:22 PM »
It’s frustrating but unless you haven’t accepted what is happening, it rings hollow.  As did blaming Fauci, then the governors, etc. 

This is a direct result of our policy choices. We bet on summer lull and have been burned.  Too many other countries in control at this point to make it seem like a different outcome wasn’t possible. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7478 on: July 23, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »
Health wise
- States are in charge
- Get a vaccine quick as that is the only solution
- Epidemic is being overblown

Economic wise
- make a temporary as possible
- give money to people in phase one
- push fed to lend
- keep businesses viable and hope for quick SnapBack

Political
- hope for the summer lull
- get people to vote
- hope the vaccine comes before second wave or election

By the way here is what I called the policy back in June.  I don’t think I would change anything on that list.  Sadly

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #7479 on: July 23, 2020, 05:38:47 PM »
Right, the "blaming China" line may have made sense in March.  It makes no sense now.  Other countries with similar resources have figured it out.  We dropped the ball.

Great leaders and societies accept blame and try and fix their mistakes.  This isn’t solely a blame the bad orange man, many Americans have become this way, but we blame others for our travails instead of accepting responsibility for our actions.  It’s weird, because as a nation, we are often quick to or once were, accept the apology and move forward
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7480 on: July 23, 2020, 05:43:39 PM »
In press conferences we keep hearing how "they should have stopped this" in regards to COVID. That the blame is on China for not getting this under control. It drives me nuts.

We had warning. We knew it existed, what it was, and what could be done to mitigate the spread. And we have failed miserably. We are the worst in the world, and that is our fault. If we couldn't control this at all, with prior warning, and knowledge. Isn't it absurd to criticize another nation for "not controlling it" when it is no longer spreading on their turf, but spreading like wild-fire on ours.

What China could have done better, and should have done in terms of transparency is an open question. But there was no stopping this from getting out of China. It was up to each nation to take proper measures then to stop spread within their own borders. What nation has failed worse in that regards than the rest. It is time we own that.
Just a repetition of Trump's never ending attempt to shift blame away from his own inactions. Today Kelly Ann Conway shifted the blame to states for opening up too fast.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7481 on: July 23, 2020, 05:46:39 PM »

It’s frustrating but unless you haven’t accepted what is happening, it rings hollow.  As did blaming Fauci, then the governors, etc. 

This is a direct result of our policy choices. We bet on summer lull and have been burned.  Too many other countries in control at this point to make it seem like a different outcome wasn’t possible.

Agree on both points. Blaming others might make sense to a point, but when other countries figured it out and his administration didn't, the buck has to stop somewhere. He, regrettably, keeps pointing at the same 'villains' and occasionally tries to throw in a new one....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7482 on: July 23, 2020, 06:57:28 PM »
State of Florida had more new cases last week than the entire continent of Europe.    Including Sweden.

The guy at the top of the ticket just had to cancel the GOP convention. You know, the one that was supposed to take place in Jacksonville, where he moved it, whining and stomping, because the mean governor of NC would not guarantee an SRO crowd in Charlotte with no masks and no social distancing in the middle of a "hoax" pandemic.

Can't make this shyte up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7483 on: July 23, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »
There has been a lot of support brewing for a cheap low sensitive test for covid (think paper strips ~15 mins). It would only detect the largest viral loads which typically occur before symptoms begin.  Seems like a cheap and easy way to find the sick at their sickest and keep them home.  Too easy?  Here is a pictorial.

https://twitter.com/jonasheidelberg/status/1284992137180917761?s=21
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:01:59 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7484 on: July 23, 2020, 08:24:01 PM »
There has been a lot of support brewing for a cheap low sensitive test for covid (think paper strips ~15 mins). It would only detect the largest viral loads which typically occur before symptoms begin.  Seems like a cheap and easy way to find the sick at their sickest and keep them home.  Too easy?  Here is a pictorial.

https://twitter.com/jonasheidelberg/status/1284992137180917761?s=21

Now you got me thinking of whether there are ways to make a cheap (less than $1 per test) test that could easily be done at home that would be low sensitivity just like you mention.

Could be a potentially viable way of being able to mitigate spread. People test themselves at home each day before going to work/school, especially those in nursing/healthcare that may be exposed to at risk populations.

I wonder how cheap it would need to be to be economically viable. Business people, ideas?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7485 on: July 23, 2020, 08:56:54 PM »
Now you got me thinking of whether there are ways to make a cheap (less than $1 per test) test that could easily be done at home that would be low sensitivity just like you mention.

Could be a potentially viable way of being able to mitigate spread. People test themselves at home each day before going to work/school, especially those in nursing/healthcare that may be exposed to at risk populations.

I wonder how cheap it would need to be to be economically viable. Business people, ideas?

Said this from the beginning.  Its our way out

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7486 on: July 23, 2020, 10:05:26 PM »
Said this from the beginning.  Its our way out

I guess my mindset of always trying to make the most sensitive and accurate test kind of blinded me from the possible benefit of a low sensitivity test.

The problem then is finding a viable method that is cheaper than dirt.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7487 on: July 23, 2020, 10:21:17 PM »
It's interesting thinking about how things we typically take for granted end up being affected by COVID. I've always loved film, and am a bit of a film buff. Saw this article today about how release dates are now being pushed back an entire year.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/media/disney-mulan-star-wars-avatar-delays/index.html

It made me think about what the Oscars will look like for 2021. Usually in February, we might be almost a full year into a time period of little to no movie releases, particularly blockbusters.

I've been well aware of how it has impacted sports, and many other areas, but hadn't really thought about its impact in film.

Its crazy how everything has changed. How many things seem to become a new, completely unusual, normal. And how all of it is so mentally exhausting.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7488 on: July 24, 2020, 04:49:52 AM »
Here is another connect the dots thread about something forgetful brought up early.  Masking could reduce viral load which could mean more mild infections. 

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1286361967792394242?s=21
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:59:58 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7489 on: July 24, 2020, 04:51:51 AM »

I think businesses and schools would pay $0.50-$1 a day.  Easily. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7490 on: July 24, 2020, 07:40:19 AM »
I guess my mindset of always trying to make the most sensitive and accurate test kind of blinded me from the possible benefit of a low sensitivity test.

The problem then is finding a viable method that is cheaper than dirt.

Look to India.  They're fantastic at developing this sort of thing, and keeping the costs to a minimum.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7491 on: July 24, 2020, 08:01:34 AM »
Here is another connect the dots thread about something forgetful brought up early.  Masking could reduce viral load which could mean more mild infections. 

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1286361967792394242?s=21

Yep. Too many people are focusing solely on whether a cloth mask can block transmission, when in fact they only need to reduce it to have a dramatic impact on overall spread.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7492 on: July 24, 2020, 08:19:51 AM »
The United States Rowing Team, ages 23-37 would like everyone to know the difficulties of COVID-19, over a dozen tested positive and suffered symptoms for as much as 40 days: (Spoiler alert, no masks were worn)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/sports/olympics/coronavirus-us-rowing-olympics.html#click=https://t.co/5AFjQ22qsj

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7493 on: July 24, 2020, 07:26:18 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/us/texas-starr-county-hospital-coronavirus/index.html

People should be appalled by this and there should be national outcries. Possibly sending people home to die.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7494 on: July 24, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/us/texas-starr-county-hospital-coronavirus/index.html

People should be appalled by this and there should be national outcries. Possibly sending people home to die.

“ Those patients who most certainly don't have any hope of improving, we believe they are better taken care of within their own family in the love of their own home rather than thousands of miles away, dying in a hospital room alone," Vasquez said.”

Actually...I would rather be sent thousands of miles away.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7495 on: July 24, 2020, 08:16:44 PM »

This is unconscionable. It’s one thing when terminal patients ask to die at home with their families, but sending them home to ‘clear space’ should never happen in any wealthy country.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7496 on: July 24, 2020, 09:17:40 PM »
Death panels, literally.
How awful for the medical personnel as well as the patient.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7497 on: July 24, 2020, 11:11:07 PM »
Sinclair Broadcasting owns roughly 300 stations in 100 markets, plus all Fox Sports Regionals. This weekend they are airing a segment that suggests that Dr. Fauci created COVID-19. This is dangerous. People will unnecessarily die because of this
Sinclair is a very dangerous entity:

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1286864655550500868?s=19

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #7498 on: July 25, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »
Sinclair Broadcasting owns roughly 300 stations in 100 markets, plus all Fox Sports Regionals. This weekend they are airing a segment that suggests that Dr. Fauci created COVID-19. This is dangerous. People will unnecessarily die because of this
Sinclair is a very dangerous entity:

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1286864655550500868?s=19

Apparently the pulled back and won't air it. That's very good. Disprovable nonsense has no place on news  as "alternate points of view".

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7499 on: July 25, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
Apparently the pulled back and won't air it. That's very good. Disprovable nonsense has no place on news  as "alternate points of view".

You mean “alternative facts”.

feedback