Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018 Coaching Carousel  (Read 41739 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: 2018 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
5 years ago, I definitely agree and its not close.  Right now?  Who wants to take that job?  Who knows even you'll even to postseason eligible for the first half decade you're there.

When the dust settles this is a great gig. Outstanding fan base that is rabid. One would have to think twice right now until the full extent of the damage is known. On the other hand, knowing how spineless the NCAA is, the penalty might not be that severe.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
I honestly wouldn't be mad at Mack if he decided to move on to Louisville.  He has spent over 15 years there between being an assistant and being a head coach.  He has accomplished so much at Xavier, and has done great things elevating the program after Prosser, Matta and Miller.  Xavier, like Marquette, is very much a program built on a collection of coaches.  It succeeded before Mack, it is successful with Mack, and it will be successful after Mack.  Butler is like this.  Many of the Big East programs are like this. 

If I'm Mack, I can see why he would demand 10 years.  Who knows what other further sanctions the program will receive and be handcuffed by.  If you make a move like this, you want (and have earned) guarantees.  If they can't commit to a coach of this resume, then he need not seriously consider it.  He has all of the advantage, IMO.

In the great words of Jay Wright, "Don't mess with happy."  If Mack cannot get a long guarantee, or is not 100% convinced that Louisville is his next and last job, then he shouldn't take it. 

Rick Majerus’ Manager

• Walk-On
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »
I hope this is the right place to post this ...

What does Tony Bennett have to do so the first sentence of his obituary is NOT “the guy that lost to UMBC”?  I think only one NCAA title might not be enough.
From the white board in front of the team, 2 hours before the game, Rick started yelling 'manager, manager, bring a towel over here!'.

Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, wiped, HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2018, 03:55:05 PM »
I hope this is the right place to post this ...

What does Tony Bennett have to do so the first sentence of his obituary is NOT “the guy that lost to UMBC”?  I think only one NCAA title might not be enough.

Is the UMBC coach going to be pursued now by larger mid-majors?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »
Is the UMBC coach going to be pursued now by larger mid-majors?

Before the tournament he was rumored to be the next coach at East Carolina.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2018, 04:06:41 PM »

Arizona, Michigan State and Georgetown all lost to #15 seeds. But my first thought on reading the names of those programs is "champions." (Extra credit: Can you name the #15 seeds they each lost to?)
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »
I honestly wouldn't be mad at Mack if he decided to move on to Louisville.  He has spent over 15 years there between being an assistant and being a head coach.  He has accomplished so much at Xavier, and has done great things elevating the program after Prosser, Matta and Miller.  Xavier, like Marquette, is very much a program built on a collection of coaches.  It succeeded before Mack, it is successful with Mack, and it will be successful after Mack.  Butler is like this.  Many of the Big East programs are like this. 

If I'm Mack, I can see why he would demand 10 years.  Who knows what other further sanctions the program will receive and be handcuffed by.  If you make a move like this, you want (and have earned) guarantees.  If they can't commit to a coach of this resume, then he need not seriously consider it.  He has all of the advantage, IMO.

In the great words of Jay Wright, "Don't mess with happy."  If Mack cannot get a long guarantee, or is not 100% convinced that Louisville is his next and last job, then he shouldn't take it.

Totally agree with this.

There is absolutely no reason X would have to decline just because Mack lost.

Stevens was a far better coach than Mack in a place that's almost surely more difficult to succeed, and yet the program somehow carried on without him.

Xavier would be able to get a great head coach from the outside, or they could hire from within.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Arizona, Michigan State and Georgetown all lost to #15 seeds. But my first thought on reading the names of those programs is "champions." (Extra credit: Can you name the #15 seeds they each lost to?)

Santa Clara, MTSU, Florida Gulf Coast.

You're also missing the Dukies loss to Lehigh and Missouri to Norfolk St.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »
Santa Clara, MTSU, Florida Gulf Coast.

You're also missing the Dukies loss to Lehigh and Missouri to Norfolk St.

Syracuse to Richmond, Iowa St to Hampton, too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »

Without looking, Santa Clara (Steve Nash), MTSU, FGCU-Dunk City.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
Jeff Jacobs @jeffjacobs123

UConn close to signing Dan Hurley as UConn coach, sources close to Hearst CT Media.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
Jon Rothstein's now reporting that Pitt offered Dan Hurley the job at over $3 million/year.  Considering they'll likely end up paying $9 million for Stallings' buyout, they're not messing around. 

UCONN and RI are still options for him, but the Pitt job is a $2 million annual raise over RI, and UCONN's offering less.  I also think he would be one of few hires to be able to convince some of the 9 players who requested their release last week to stick around, so at least he could field a team (right now Pitt is down to 2 scholarship players, returning 1.5 ppg from last year). 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »
The ideal scenario would be Hurley refusing Pitt, taking UConn, which forces Pitt to hire Kevin Willard. Then Hurley pulls a Chris Beard, tells UConn to pound sand and leaves for his alma mater, Seton Hall, before ever coaching a game.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
I don't know why someone leaves for "greener pastures".  Crean is just a recent example of a coach who has done so and regretted it.  Remember Al, if MU was good enough for him, it's good enough for anyone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
I don't know why someone leaves for "greener pastures".  Crean is just a recent example of a coach who has done so and regretted it.  Remember Al, if MU was good enough for him, it's good enough for anyone.

Because people want new challenges.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
The ideal scenario would be Hurley refusing Pitt, taking UConn, which forces Pitt to hire Kevin Willard. Then Hurley pulls a Chris Beard, tells UConn to pound sand and leaves for his alma mater, Seton Hall, before ever coaching a game.

He doesn't exactly have fond memories of his alma mater so I don't think that would ever happen.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »
Often in life, change is good. It helps keep one fresh in mind and spirit, it brings new challenges (as sultan said), it gives a person new experiences, lets somebody return "home" or experience an entirely different part of the country. All kinds of reasons some people - not just coaches, but people of all professions - choose to go elsewhere. Even those who are happy where they are sometimes want to experience something different.

My wife is a pediatric RN who has received many commendations from her employers over the years. She could work in any city in the country. We liked Chicago. We wanted to try something different. We moved to Charlotte "just because" we wanted to experience a different part of the country, a different culture.

I was a middle-school head coach. I had an opportunity to become a high school assistant coach. I enjoyed working with the middle-school age group, and I loved being in charge, but I thought it would be interesting to see what it was like coaching high school ball and being part of a coaching staff.

All kinds of reasons people seek change.

As for coaches (or athletes or anybody else) who choose to stay, even rejecting bigger money for "better" jobs, that's cool, too. It doesn't make them "better" people. It doesn't even make them more loyal. It just means they are content where they are and are happy with the daily challenges they face.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:55:12 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2018, 05:12:31 AM »

Al wanted to leave for the Bucks at one time.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2018, 05:22:21 AM »
Often in life, change is good. It helps keep one fresh in mind and spirit, it brings new challenges (as sultan said), it gives a person new experiences, let's somebody return "home" or experience an entirely different part of the country. All kinds of reasons some people - not just coaches, but people of all professions - choose to go elsewhere. Even those who are happy where they are sometimes want to experience something different.

My wife is a pediatric RN who has received many commendations from her employers over the years. She could work in any city in the country. We liked Chicago. We wanted to try something different. We moved to Charlotte "just because" we wanted to experience a different part of the country, a different culture.

I was a middle-school head coach. I had an opportunity to become a high school assistant coach. I enjoyed working with the middle-school age group, and I loved being in charge, but I thought it would be interesting to see what it was like coaching high school ball and being part of a coaching staff.

All kinds of reasons people seek change.

As for coaches (or athletes or anybody else) who choose to stay, even rejecting bigger money for "better" jobs, that's cool, too. It doesn't make them "better" people. It doesn't even make them more loyal. It just means they are content where they are and are happy with the daily challenges they face.

Well said.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2018, 06:24:06 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wichita-st-releases-4-star-recruit-play-hs-coach-penny-hardaway-memphis-032324084.html

Interesting article reference Hardaway hiring.  Nice move by WSU and if you think Hardaway was hired because of his coaching skills, well.....look at the recruits probably lining up to play for their AAU coach. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wichita-st-releases-4-star-recruit-play-hs-coach-penny-hardaway-memphis-032324084.html

Interesting article reference Hardaway hiring.  Nice move by WSU and if you think Hardaway was hired because of his coaching skills, well.....look at the recruits probably lining up to play for their AAU coach.

No one is hired for their coaching skills. Look at Willard. His "coaching skills" have lost more games than won but his brown bag goes deep so he's still working.

Hire the guy who's gonna get you the talent and stay blind to the dirty work of getting wins.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »
He doesn't exactly have fond memories of his alma mater so I don't think that would ever happen.

I'm going to guess that's not true. There may be some mixed feelings, but his son is currently completing his freshman year at Seton Hall. You don't send your kid there if you have a gripe. He'd certainly take that phone call.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2018, 07:03:45 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22862828/dan-hurley-leave-rhode-island-become-uconn-men-basketball-coach

Hurley to UCONN.

That is huge for UCONN that they got their preferred coach.  Good for them - hope he is successful.  Now ditch FB.

feedback