Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018 Coaching Carousel  (Read 41726 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: 2018 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2018, 01:46:56 PM »
I get it.  But think about today with the likes of Nashville and Columbus, etc.  It was always a big risk in Hartford.  Might have survived but maybe not.  Point is college hoops was gold.

Hartford was and is not really a risk at all.  Connecticut already was and is a big hockey state. 

In the late 80's it was the second highest valued franchise after the New York Rangers.  ESPN was specifically created to televise Hartford Whalers games.   

I believe Hartford is one of the top 5 for NHL TV ratings   While the Hartford media market is slightly behind Nashville and slightly larger than Columbus is does not include Springfield, MA which 20 minutes away and loaded with Whaler fans.  And collegiate hockey has always sold out.  Yale was NCAA champ in 2013 and Quinnipiac U. was Runner-up in 2013 and 2014.  UConn has the highest hockey attendance in Hockey East.  We have two AHL teams and at one point had three AHL teams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
Well this isn't good...

Evan Daniels
‏@EvanDaniels
Curious to see how quickly Louisville’s Interim AD Vince Tyra makes his move for Xavier's Chris Mack. To say he's the favorite would be an understatement.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »
Penny hired at Memphis.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »
Well this isn't good...

Evan Daniels
‏@EvanDaniels
Curious to see how quickly Louisville’s Interim AD Vince Tyra makes his move for Xavier's Chris Mack. To say he's the favorite would be an understatement.

Mack is a Xavier alum and has turned down programs like Ohio state. If this happens I'd be surprised
Maigh Eo for Sam

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
Penny hired at Memphis.
Does he convince Larry Brown to join the staff?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2018, 01:59:24 PM »
Mack is a Xavier alum and has turned down programs like Ohio state. If this happens I'd be surprised

If the ncaa has any balls whatsoever then Louisville is due the death penalty.  Gotta figure pending punishment is a huge factor in Loserville hiring a coach.  Potentially great job but who wants to spend 5 years rebuilding if u already have a really good gig??
Also does anyone have any idea when the ncaa will begin their portion of the investigation into all these bribes?  Or are they just having the FBI do their investigations now??!!.  I feel it was a travesty that arizona, auburn etc played in the tourney.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
Well this isn't good...

Evan Daniels
‏@EvanDaniels

Must've been turned down by Shaka, Donovan and Marshall.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »

Money talks, but I don't see why anyone with options would want the Louisville gig right now.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
Perhaps XUInsider has some information for us.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »

Yah, I mean, is Louisville really that big of a step up?  I think Mack is where he wants to be, but $$$ speaks sometimes.  I am sure he is well paid, but I am sure Louisville is willing to throw a ton at him.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »
Yah, I mean, is Louisville really that big of a step up?  I think Mack is where he wants to be, but $$$ speaks sometimes.  I am sure he is well paid, but I am sure Louisville is willing to throw a ton at him.

I believe his wife is from Louisville
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:56 PM »
I believe his wife is from Louisville
It’s an hour and a half away. Not like she’s flying when she wants to go “home”
No Finish Line

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
It’s an hour and a half away. Not like she’s flying when she wants to go “home”

guru is right in that his wife is from Louisville, and being within 10-15 minutes of your family is different than being a couple hours away. I'm not saying he will or won't go, but if there's a big job he goes for, that might be it. Louisville would throw significant money at him, and with their uncertain situation, he could likely get a longer guaranteed contract than other schools might give (something in the 8-10 year range). It will be interesting to see what he does, I'd be surprised if Louisville hasn't already reached out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »
guru is right in that his wife is from Louisville, and being within 10-15 minutes of your family is different than being a couple hours away. I'm not saying he will or won't go, but if there's a big job he goes for, that might be it. Louisville would throw significant money at him, and with their uncertain situation, he could likely get a longer guaranteed contract than other schools might give (something in the 8-10 year range). It will be interesting to see what he does, I'd be surprised if Louisville hasn't already reached out.
Changing jobs to be roughly one hour closer? He’d have to love his wife waaaay more than I love mine!
No Finish Line

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »

Pitino was reportedly the highest-paid coach in college basketball. He signed a 10-year, $55 million contract extension with Louisville in 2015. The university's athletic association board voted to void his contract for cause. He also lost approximately $2 million a year from his Adidas sponsorship deal.

According to USA Today, Chris Mack makes a $1.7 million annual salary at Xavier.

Louisville's interim head coach David Padgett makes $800,000.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »
Changing jobs to be roughly one hour closer? He’d have to love his wife waaaay more than I love mine!

That would be a nice benefit, but he would be changing jobs mostly because it is a higher profile job that's going to pay him a lot more money.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »

Louisville is a step up from Xavier. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »

Especially to be closer to the in laws...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »

Louisville is a step up from Xavier.

5 years ago, I definitely agree and its not close.  Right now?  Who wants to take that job?  Who knows even you'll even to postseason eligible for the first half decade you're there.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
If Mack is ever going to leave X, now might be the time..coming off a conference title, an unprecedented 1 seed, and losing the best senior class X may ever have..it could be awhile before X has that kind of success again..if ever. Might be time for a new challenge for him.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »
guru is right in that his wife is from Louisville, and being within 10-15 minutes of your family is different than being a couple hours away.

Man, you said it.  A couple hours is much better.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
Man, you said it.  A couple hours is much better.

Yeah, it comes down to what you want. My mother-in-law is an hour away. That's a nice distance because it's not close enough for the pop-in but it is close enough that she can help out. My folks are a 20 hour drive away, and it would be really helpful to have them more like 20-30 minutes. It all depends on what Mack and his wife want. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he left. Largely depends on who wears the pants.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
Yeah, it comes down to what you want. My mother-in-law is an hour away. That's a nice distance because it's not close enough for the pop-in but it is close enough that she can help out. My folks are a 20 hour drive away, and it would be really helpful to have them more like 20-30 minutes. It all depends on what Mack and his wife want. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he left. Largely depends on who wears the pants.

My personal opinion is that it depends on how convincing Louisville can be that they're going to escape extremely severe penalties.  If they can convince Mack of that, he'll take that job.  If not, he won't. I'm skeptical.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
If Mack is ever going to leave X, now might be the time..coming off a conference title, an unprecedented 1 seed, and losing the best senior class X may ever have..it could be awhile before X has that kind of success again..if ever. Might be time for a new challenge for him.

Agreed. Heard through the grapevine that he was willing to jump this fall when the job opened but wanted 10 years guaranteed, and Louisville balked. Who knows if that's true but leaving after losing this class wouldn't shock me.