collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 MLB Thread  (Read 72951 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
Rich/famous people are eccentric. The same behavior for the average guy means you're crazy.

Correct.

I'm not breaking new ground here.

Morgan brings a lot of energy and a spark, but he's eccentric enough that it doesn't work very well on a mediocre team.

Like I said before, if he was a little better this year, I bet some teams in the pennant race would have inquired about him. He's a pretty good role player for a team in contention.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #276 on: August 01, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »
I don't dislike Nyjer's antics, but when you are under .500, some of his stuff gets a little tiresome. Do you really want him standing on second doing "beast mode" after he hits a double when they are out of the pennant race? How about when they are down 7-0? That stuff only works when you are winning a lot of games.

Rodman's numbers look good in S.A., but he was a HUGE distraction. Put him on another winning team (the Bulls), and suddenly his antics don't look so bad. It's an extreme example, but on winning teams, eccentric behavior is far easier to deal with.

Well from the get-go Nyjer was different this year from last year with his antics.  I'm just saying that perhaps there's a correlation between his antics, how loose he's playing, and how well he's playing.  It's definitely time to thank him for his contributions last year and part ways.

Rodman was absolutely a distraction in SA - 100% agreed.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »
Well from the get-go Nyjer was different this year from last year with his antics.  I'm just saying that perhaps there's a correlation between his antics, how loose he's playing, and how well he's playing.  It's definitely time to thank him for his contributions last year and part ways.

Rodman was absolutely a distraction in SA - 100% agreed.

It's a chicken or the egg problem in the scenario you've described. He can't play well unless he's being a little reckless, but he can't be that vocal when he's playing poorly because he'll drive everybody crazy and alienate his teammates.

There could be something to that.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »

He won't command high caliber money this offseason.

God is that just stupid. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
So as things have evened out during Hamilton's slump,

Hamilton has more HR than Braun
Hamilton has more RBI than Braun
Braun and Hamilton have the same amount of XBH
Braun has a better OPS
Braun has more steals
Braun has a better BA.

While each guy has some statistical advantages, they are right on top of each other. 
Both players are having seasons that should have them in the thick of MVP consideration.
I think I'm still saying they are both the same tier of player for sure. 
Josh Hamilton is still the most similar player to Braun statistically, according to Baseball Reference.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
Was watching the MLB Network, the Rangers were taking pregame BP and GM Jon Daniels was being interviewed. Interview was about Dempster acquisition but when Josh Hamilton walked past the camera and waved Daniels said "I would also like to break news on a Hamilton extension." Don't know the details of it yet.

he said that using teal

🏀

• All American
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
God is that just stupid.  

You think he's getting Howard or Fielder money?

It ain't happening without team friendly opt-outs when it comes to substances and injuries.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:02:00 PM by PTM »

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
Are there any White Sox fans on this board? 

It looks like the south side of Chicago is in for an exciting finish once again this year.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
Are there any White Sox fans on this board?  

It looks like the south side of Chicago is in for an exciting finish once again this year.

Here!  Love the moves Kenny has made.  He got a 3B, reliever and a starter, can't ask for more than that.  The extra starter should hopefully make Sale and Quintana more effective.  

What makes the moves even better is that the Sox didn't really give anything up.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:55:59 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #284 on: August 01, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
You think he's getting Howard or Fielder money?

It ain't happening without team friendly opt-outs when it comes to substances and injuries.

He's a bit older, so I don't think he'll get the years, but I'd think an average salary of between 20-25 million is nearly a guarantee. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
He's a bit older, so I don't think he'll get the years, but I'd think an average salary of between 20-25 million is nearly a guarantee. 

No team is putting $20 million into him, not without huge out clauses.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #286 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »

Yes they will. He won't get a ton of years, but will command a pretty high average annual salary. I could very well see him getting 5 years, 125 million. I mean if someone is stupid enough to give Howard that deal a few years before his contract was even up, Hamilton should command that--he's a much better player. Remember, it only takes 1 GM. I think you are overrating the fear baseball management has about his substance abuse issues.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:46 PM »
And yet, I don't see anything about this 15 hours later...

Maybe he was joking, but he gave no indication he was. Saw on a Rangers blog that they were not sure either.  ?-(

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »

Jayson Werth is getting $18M a year and his career has been statistically significant to former Brewer great Jeffery Hammonds. Hamilton will get a big money deal.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
Yes they will. He won't get a ton of years, but will command a pretty high average annual salary. I could very well see him getting 5 years, 125 million. I mean if someone is stupid enough to give Howard that deal a few years before his contract was even up, Hamilton should command that--he's a much better player. Remember, it only takes 1 GM. I think you are overrating the fear baseball management has about his substance abuse issues.

Players at the ML level are being drug- tested far more often today than they were when Hamilton was getting into trouble.  So if he does start the habit again, he'll likely be tested within a few months, fail, and be suspended.  And while he's suspended, there is no paycheck.  In other words, a GM who really wants Josh Hamilton isn't going to put much weight into his substance abuse issues... whatever they commit to him is going to effectively be contingent upon him staying clean.  The downside is that he relapses and you lose a player, but at least you're no longer obligated to pay his salary.

The biggest factors that are going to inhibit his chances of getting a long-term deal... he turns 32 next May, and power-hitting OF's aren't exactly scarce commodities.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »
Hamilton is going to get a deal of about 5 yrs./$100M with a GM hoping to win a World Series in one of the first three years....knowing that 4 and 5 will probably be bad money.

🏀

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #292 on: August 02, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
Yeah....I'm very likely wrong.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 02, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
Yeah....I'm very likely wrong.

I don't think he eclipses the $20m point, but he'll get close.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #294 on: August 02, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »

Every time PTM makes a prediction, I look at his signature line and say... "that's great, but what does Titan think?"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #295 on: August 02, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »

So you think he won't get $20 million, but he'll get close? Are you changing your prediction or just have a very narrow idea of what you think he'll get?

Sorry if that question came off di*kish, it wasn't meant to be.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:23:42 PM by jmayer1 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
So you think he won't get $20 million, but he'll get close? Are you changing your prediction or just have a very narrow idea of what you think he'll get?

Sorry if that question came off di*kish, it wasn't meant to be.

Didn't come off that way.

Not changing, I consider $20+ to be top-caliber money, and he's not there. I think someone will roll the dice and land him for $17-19.5m, but getting him at $20 and over will make GMs uneasy.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2012, 07:30:28 PM »
Every time PTM makes a prediction, I look at his signature line and say... "that's great, but what does Titan think?"

I wear a WWTT34D wristband.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2012, 01:39:17 AM »
Didn't come off that way.

Not changing, I consider $20+ to be top-caliber money, and he's not there. I think someone will roll the dice and land him for $17-19.5m, but getting him at $20 and over will make GMs uneasy.

OK so just to be clear, 20 is big time top caliber money, but 19.5 isn't?  Does that mean that Braun, who tops out at 19M between now and 2021, isn't a big time player; that is, if we are using 20M in salary as the judge? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
OK so just to be clear, 20 is big time top caliber money, but 19.5 isn't?  Does that mean that Braun, who tops out at 19M between now and 2021, isn't a big time player; that is, if we are using 20M in salary as the judge? 

Did I ever make a connection between talent and top caliber money? Nope.

Braun is one of the biggest steals in baseball.