collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2012 MLB Thread  (Read 72934 times)

QuetteHoops

• Starter
Re: MLB Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

Maybe I am just too optimistic in thinking the Brewers aren't really that far from being back in the playoffs next year.

You might be a tad optimistic...The problem is they'll have essentially the same line-up with the exception of a healthy Lucroy all year (hopefully) but they'll have a young and quite frankly worse starting rotation. I agree though they're really not that far off...

Depending on how Melvin handles this trade deadline is huge though, if he can get something like Olt and Perez back from the Rangers or Segura, Cron, Richards back from the Angels 2-3 years from now you're back in the thick of things.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
This year is fine, and even next year at $10 mil is okay. Its that third year at $16 mil that sucks. It'll be his age 36 season. My thought on dealing him is that this time next year, no one will want him at all, whereas this year a richer team like the Dodgers or Yankees might take him on and swallow that last year because of the reasonable $10 mil he's owed in between.

Granted it's a small consolation, but 6 of the $16M he's due in 2014 is deferred.

If the Brewers have fill a hole at clean-up and 3B via free agency this winter, it's going to take two acquisitions... and chances are, you're going to spend more than $26M to sign those players.

Sure Ramirez's contract sucks, but compared to the alternative, it's a damn good deal.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
You might be a tad optimistic...The problem is they'll have essentially the same line-up with the exception of a healthy Lucroy all year (hopefully) but they'll have a young and quite frankly worse starting rotation. I agree though they're really not that far off...

Depending on how Melvin handles this trade deadline is huge though, if he can get something like Olt and Perez back from the Rangers or Segura, Cron, Richards back from the Angels 2-3 years from now you're back in the thick of things.

A main reason for optimism is that the NL isn't all that good, especially the NL Central. Even a team with relatively significant flaws could get into the playoffs and once you're in, anything can happen.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
The new rumor is a package with the Rangers might be packaged around Elvis Andrus...(http://brewernation.mlblogs.com/2012/07/26/heres-what-i-know-so-far/)...

I have a hard time believing this one, as good as Profar is I don't think the Rangers would pin their season on a 19 year old shortstop being able to step in seamlessly on a run to the World Series.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
I would make that trade in a heartbeat.  A 23 year old, All Star shortstop with 2 years remaining on his contract?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
I would make that trade in a heartbeat.  A 23 year old, All Star shortstop with 2 years remaining on his contract?

Not to mention one additional year of control if you pull a J.J. Hardy on him.

(Although he is a Boras client... I'm sure there's something to prevent that from occurring.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
ESPN reporting that Brewers GM Doug Melvin says the team will trade P Zack Greinke before Tuesday's deadline.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
I don't think the Rangers would actually make that trade because its too risky for this year. I do think though, that they would trade Andrus before they traded Profar. Which is all to say, neither is happening.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
ESPN reporting that Brewers GM Doug Melvin says the team will trade P Zack Greinke before Tuesday's deadline.

In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »
He will be traded by Saturday....he is scheduled to start Sunday.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow.

Greinke told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Wednesday. "(General manager) Doug (Melvin) hasn't said anything to me about them trading me, so I'm assuming I'll still be here.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Doug will tell him when the deal is done.  If ZG wanted to stay here he would sign the extension.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
Greinke told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Wednesday. "(General manager) Doug (Melvin) hasn't said anything to me about them trading me, so I'm assuming I'll still be here.

I'll bet you believe every GM that gives his coach a "vote of confidence" as well, huh?  They've been planning to trade him since he rejected their more than reasonable offer.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Probably not a permanent answer, but Hunter Morris at AA is.  He's probably a year or two away, so Gamel holds the line for another year and if he's not the answer, you trade him or maybe try him out back at 3B when Ramirez is up.

I can't imagine the combined stats of Gamel and Schafer are going to be worse than Hart & Aoki combined.

I'm a kool-aid drinker in regards to Morris as well as Scooter Gennett. I think those two could anchor the right side of the infield for a long time. If Segura (more likely) or Profar/Andrus (unlikely) are aquired to play SS the infield problem is fixed long-term, until they need a new 3B.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
I'm a kool-aid drinker in regards to Morris as well as Scooter Gennett. I think those two could anchor the right side of the infield for a long time. If Segura (more likely) or Profar/Andrus (unlikely) are aquired to play SS the infield problem is fixed long-term, until they need a new 3B.

If Gennett and Morris turn out to be as sweet as the Kool-Aid my father makes, then you could move Gamel to 3B post-Ramirez.  With as many young arms coming through the system, hopefully a few of them will turn out promising enough that you could tolerate errors at the hot corner so long as your defense and offense are otherwise solid.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
The good thing about the minors being stocked with pitching is that it is easier to trade pitchers for position players than the other way around.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
I'll bet you believe every GM that gives his coach a "vote of confidence" as well, huh?  They've been planning to trade him since he rejected their more than reasonable offer.

I am not disagreeing with you at all.  What I found odd was that Melvin came out publicly and "showed his cards" about trading him.  That doesn't really happen often that I remember.

It could work out good for him where a couple teams get into a bidding war or the other teams know he is going to trade him and try to lowball him.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
It's been extremely quiet on the rumor front today...trade imminent?

Both the Braves and the Angels have said they're backing off Grienke...Looks like it will be Texas

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »
Nope, off to Anaheim.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

chapman

• All American
« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
Love this deal.  Can't fill every need in one deal, but a top prospect to fill the top need (SS) and two pitchers with good potential is great value for a rental.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2012, 11:12:07 PM »
Knew aquiring Segura was the most likely option as Texas was unwilling to part with Olt or Profar. Happy with this deal, the pitchers acquired look like solid prospects.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #246 on: July 28, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »
I like this deal a lot as well. All 3 prospects were in the top 10 prospects of the Angels organization, Segura and Hellweg were top 5. Pena played in the Futures game (got rocked) but could develop into a pretty good bullpen arm.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »
Anyone care to get back to that Josh Hamilton is better than Ryan Braun argument?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
Anyone care to get back to that Josh Hamilton is better than Ryan Braun argument?

No kidding.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »

The slump has really brought down his stats, but in a slump hitting .290 is still very good. I would still sign him in a heartbeat this offseason especially since the price tag will be lower.

feedback