[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is foreign disinformation a threat?  (Read 15080 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Is foreign disinformation a threat?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2018, 08:11:57 PM »
Yes, Mueller likes money and his friends so they will continue to waste time at 300% their normal rate (that is what special prosecutors get) but remember this ...

Interesting. I have no idea what US Attorneys, the FBI Director, or special prosecutors make. Do you have a link or other evidence that supports this statement?
ReviewingMueller's resume, the statement that he took this job for, and is motivated by, the desire to make money seems pretty absurd. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2018, 08:24:58 PM »
Tugg doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will support what he says when called on, so I spent a few minutes researching his statement myself.

Mueller made several million a year in private practice. As Special Prosecutor he will get paid a couple of hundred thousand per year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-09/mueller-left-millions-in-salary-speeches-to-lead-russia-probe

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/08/robert-mueller-counsel-financial-records-241414

https://www.quora.com/How-much-will-Robert-Mueller-be-paid-as-Special-Counsel-to-investigate-the-Trumps-campaign-ties-with-Russia

Facts are stupid things.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
Tugg doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will support what he says when called on, so I spent a few minutes researching his statement myself.

Mueller made several million a year in private practice. As Special Prosecutor he will get paid a couple of hundred thousand per year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-09/mueller-left-millions-in-salary-speeches-to-lead-russia-probe

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/08/robert-mueller-counsel-financial-records-241414

https://www.quora.com/How-much-will-Robert-Mueller-be-paid-as-Special-Counsel-to-investigate-the-Trumps-campaign-ties-with-Russia

Facts are stupid things.

He is another one for you that contains this little gem ...

Mueller, several team members gave up million-dollar jobs to work on special counsel investigation
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/mueller-several-team-members-gave-up-million-dollar-jobs-to-work-on-special-counsel-investigation/2017/08/08/e11169da-7b78-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.f0a6e8de0a15
It is unclear precisely how much each is getting paid to work on the Russia investigation — the special counsel’s office has declined to make its budget proposal public — though it is probably a far cry from their private-sector work.

All these stories say is that he had a high paying job.  Fake news that he is making less.

So how much does he make?  All of these are dated December 5, 2017

USA Today
Robert Mueller's Russia investigation has cost taxpayers at least $3.2 million so far
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/12/05/robert-muellers-russia-investigation-has-cost-taxpayers-least-3-2-million-so-far/922886001/

CNN
Russia probe cost $7 million over 5 months, DOJ says
https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/05/politics/robert-mueller-investigation-money-spent-fbi/index.html

The Denver Post
Mueller details $6.7M spent in early months of Russia probe
https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/05/robert-mueller-russia-probe-3-million/

The press cannot even find out exactly how much he has spent.  That is a secret too.
--------------

Special counsel operates in secret, can hire whoever he wants, can spend whatever he wants, can pay himself whatever he decides, can take as much time as he wants, and is held accountable to no one and never audited.  All financial decisions from his office are kept secret.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:58:29 PM by Tugg Speedman »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2018, 09:12:27 PM »
The Russians and the Chinese know our achilles heel. The Democrats and Republicans will do anything to put party above country. Half the the country thinks Trump is Putin's puppet and the other half believes the rule of law applies to anyone who is not a high ranking Democrat. I have seen the enemy and it is us.
Nope. False equivalency.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
Michael Flynn pleaded GUILTY and is awaiting sentencing.  Mueller keeps putting off his sentencing because the texts and stories are weakening his case (Struck texted Page and said he did not think Flynn was lying ... oops!)  Mueller is so bloody incompetent he cannot convict a guy that pleaded guilty!

Holy smokes, is this ignorant.
The reason Flynn hasn't been sentenced is because he's a cooperating witness who's seeking leniency. That leniency is dependent upon his ongoing cooperation in the probe. Once he's sentenced, Mueller no longer has any leverage and Flynn has no reason to continue as a cooperating witness.
Duh times 1,000.

But you're right about one thing  ... collusion in an election isn't a crime. But fraud, conspiracy and violating the bipartisan election act are.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
Finally, today's indictment's essentially are the end of this process.  Everyone indicted is currently in Russia.  Unless Putin wants to extradite them, and assume the odds of that are between 0% and 0%, there is nothing more to this story.  No trial, no defense.  So no rolling these guys to cop a plea and give up bigger fish.  They are laughing their ass of at us in Moscow.
It's astonishing that one person can be completely, stunningly wrong about almost EVERYTHING he posts.  Just amazing. It's an f'ing gift.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »
The reason Flynn hasn't been sentenced is because he's a cooperating witness who's seeking leniency. That leniency is dependent upon his ongoing cooperation in the probe. Once he's sentenced, Mueller no longer has any leverage and Flynn has no reason to continue as a cooperating witness.
Duh times 1,000.

But you're right about one thing  ... collusion in an election isn't a crime. But fraud, conspiracy and violating the bipartisan election act are.
There is little use explaining this to Heisy, he's convinced it was Hillary colluding with the Russians.

My question is whether Mueller has, or can get, the goods on Cambridge Analytica.  My opinion has long been the were they ones feeding the Russian trollbot farms with the most effective propaganda based on their admittedly awesome profiling ability.  I don't know if Gates has the goods on them, but Bannon sure does.

I also think it is a matter of time before Wilbur Ross is indicted.  Bank of Cyprus was front and center in the money laundering aspect.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 09:35:02 PM »
Duh times 1,000.

He's done cooperating.  The case against him is falling apart with the Struck/Page texts.

The Curious Michael Flynn Guilty Plea
by ANDREW C. MCCARTHY   February 13, 2018 3:43 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/456379/michael-flynn-guilty-plea-questions-raised-about-fbi-robert-mueller-investigation

New developments in Flynn's case raise questions about the circumstances under which he pled guilty to lying to the FBI.

Could this provide General Flynn with factual grounds of which he was previously unaware to seek to have his plea vacated? Would he have a viable legal basis to undo the plea agreement that he and his lawyer signed on November 30? We do not know at this point. All we can say is that Flynn’s sentencing has just been postponed until May.

-----------

Holy smokes are you ignorant about what is really happening here.,

It is a form of mental illness if you think this investigation is leading to Trump's removal.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »
There is little use explaining this to Heisy, he's convinced it was Hillary colluding with the Russians.

My question is whether Mueller has, or can get, the goods on Cambridge Analytica.  My opinion has long been the were they ones feeding the Russian trollbot farms with the most effective propaganda based on their admittedly awesome profiling ability.  I don't know if Gates has the goods on them, but Bannon sure does.

I also think it is a matter of time before Wilbur Ross is indicted.  Bank of Cyprus was front and center in the money laundering aspect.

In a year I will remind you of this illness.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 09:38:18 PM »
We're getting awfully close to either:  a) Heisy feels threatened by rational thought and will call political bias to close this thread, or b) Heisy starts shouting the same extremist nut job platitudes that will get this thread closed.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2018, 09:41:29 PM »
It's astonishing that one person can be completely, stunningly wrong about almost EVERYTHING he posts.  Just amazing. It's an f'ing gift.

This post only shows a confirmation bias and is a commentary about you and none of the facts in this case.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2018, 09:44:23 PM »
We're getting awfully close to either:  a) Heisy feels threatened by rational thought and will call political bias to close this thread, or b) Heisy starts shouting the same extremist nut job platitudes that will get this thread closed.

Nope ...  Going to leave this open.

Bagging one Russian troll farm is it for months.  We'll leave this open while Mueller lines his pockets and revisit this on the next "event" in Mueller's attempt to destroy the constitution.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
Donnie Jr.: "I love it!"

That was just the start of the collusion, and Mueller is digging in.

Enjoy the show.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 09:51:33 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »
In a year I will remind you of this illness.
You're right, it's probably just a coincidence that Flynn had ties to Russia. And Papadop. And Tillerson.  And Sessions. And Erik Prince. And Manafort.  And Gates.  Completely coincidental.

Oh, and Felix Slater.  And Wilbur Ross. And Kushner.  And Ivanka.  And Don, Jr. And Caputo. And Tevfik Arif.  Definitely coincidental.

And the fact Trump denies Russian interference?  Coincidental.  And that he takes Putin's word over all of our intel agencies?  The same.  And that he refuses to enforce the sanctions against Russia passed with bipartisan support.  Highly coincidental no doubt.

On second thought, it isn't all coincidental:  It must be Hillary's fault.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
Regarding the fees - regardless of what Mueller et al are being paid, they still would have been able to earn a crapload of money on the outside. Claiming that this is just a ploy to line his (Republican) pockets is just ignorant.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »

This is the big one.  Cambridge Analytica and the Mercer family are the big fish.  The question is really if there is a sufficient paper trail. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »
You're right, it's probably just a coincidence that Flynn had ties to Russia. And Papadop. And Tillerson.  And Sessions. And Erik Prince. And Manafort.  And Gates.  Completely coincidental.

Oh, and Felix Slater.  And Wilbur Ross. And Kushner.  And Ivanka.  And Don, Jr. And Caputo. And Tevfik Arif.  Definitely coincidental.

And the fact Trump denies Russian interference?  Coincidental.  And that he takes Putin's word over all of our intel agencies?  The same.  And that he refuses to enforce the sanctions against Russia passed with bipartisan support.  Highly coincidental no doubt.

On second thought, it isn't all coincidental:  It must be Hillary's fault.

Do really believe that trolling social media can turn an election?  Do you really believe that all the BS and lies the Russians posted (and yes, they did this) was something more than confirmation bias for people that already made up their mind?  Do you really believe that this effort more than offsets three 24 hours news cable stations, hundreds of reporters following and investigating the candidates, and over $1 billion spent in commercials in 2016? $54 of Russian Trolls ad on Facebook can neutralize $1 billion in commercials.

Say it out loud, you believe all this mattered and that it took tens, if not hundreds of thousands of Americans that were set to vote for Hillary to pull the lever for Trump?  And say out loud that a $1 billion of commercials and 24/7 coverage by CNN/MSNBC/Fox did not matter.

Or, do you believe something that even Obama insists did not happen ... the voting machines were hacked and the vote tallies changed?

So, what form of illness to do subscribe too?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:08:44 PM by Tugg Speedman »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »

Nope ... Going to leave this open.

Bagging one Russian troll farm is it for months.  We'll leave this open while Mueller lines his pockets and revisit this on the next "event" in Mueller's attempt to destroy the constitution.
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/

If i want to find an unfiltered echo of the alt right i'd just subscribe to the above link.   In your own words - no links, quotes or soundbites - exactly how is Mueller attempting to destroy the constitution?  If you can make a factual position the rest of us would actually listen.  If you can't make a factual position in you own words, well....

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »
This is the big one.  Cambridge Analytica and the Mercer family are the big fish.  The question is really if there is a sufficient paper trail.
We know from Kushner's own admission that he was feeding C.A. the voter information.  If Robert Mercer is as brilliant as they say you would think he'd be smart enough not to leave an electronic trail leading from CA to Russia, but who knows what the intelligence agencies are able to track.  But if Mueller could get Bannon to rollover...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2018, 10:15:28 PM »
Do really believe that trolling social media can turn an election?  Do you really believe that all the BS and lies the Russians posted (and yes, they did this) was something more than confirmation bias for people that already made up their mind?  Do you really believe that this effort more than offsets three 24 hours news cable stations, hundreds of reporters following and investigating the candidates, and over $1 billion spent in commercials in 2016? $54 of Russian Trolls ad on Facebook can neutralize $1 billion in commercials.
Huh, interesting legal theory: if a crime is unsuccessful, it isn't really a crime!

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm going to say you are wrong.  As usual.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2018, 10:16:32 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/

If i want to find an unfiltered echo of the alt right i'd just subscribe to the above link.   In your own words - no links, quotes or soundbites - exactly how is Mueller attempting to destroy the constitution?  If you can make a factual position the rest of us would actually listen.  If you can't make a factual position in you own words, well....

I was quoting Tower and I assume he was saying a special prosecutor and a court cannot overturn a certified election.  That can only be done with an impeactment.

Mueller can write a report and go on TV and talk about it.  That's it. Mueller and a grand jury cannot remove the president.  But many of you think he will try ... hence a constitutional crisis.

Not a surprise.  Still collecting the little fish.  Big fish and ultimately a constitutional crisis still to come.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
Huh, interesting legal theory: if a crime is unsuccessful, it isn't really a crime!

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm going to say you are wrong.  As usual.

You're still talking about yourself and not this case.

It is not a crime to lie on the internet.  If it was, we would all be in prison for using this site.

That is why they were indicted for bank fraud and identity crisis.  The crime you think they committed does not exist.

And since they are foreign, they cannot argue it is a violation of their first amendment right to freedom of speech (which also means you have the freedom to lie on Facebook).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2018, 10:21:17 PM »
I was quoting Tower and I assume he was saying a special prosecutor and a court cannot overturn a certified election.  That can only be done with an impeactment.

Mueller can write a report and go on TV and talk about it.  That's it. Mueller and a grand jury cannot remove the president.  But many of you think he will try ... hence a constitutional crisis.
No.  Tower said that the investigation would lead to a Constitutional crisis.  You said Mueller is attempting to destroy the Constitution.  Two very different things. And when called on it you tried to weasel out.

feedback