[Today at 04:38:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 244628 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #325 on: June 26, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »
The only other 1B/OF rental out there is a guy who wears sunglasses at night.

Seth Smith (SD), and Josh Willingham (MIN) are two outfielders at the end of their contracts who could very well be gone by July 31.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:20:20 PM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
Seth Smith (SD), and Josh Willingham (MIN) are two outfielders at the end of their contracts who could very well be gone by July 31.

In 11 seasons, Willingham has played a grand total of 3 games at 1B.  That doesn't really qualify him as a 1B/OF player.

Smith has never played 1B in the majors.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »
2nd best record in all of baseball and one player on the All Star team.  I guess it's Mike Trout and 24 other guys.

Interesting.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2014, 06:20:57 AM »
2nd best record in all of baseball and one player on the All Star team.  I guess it's Mike Trout and 24 other guys.

Interesting.

Perhaps before each fan votes,  each person should show a form of government ID.    ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »
Outside of Wieters, I don't think the fans did a bad job at all.

Sale needed to be on that team, has no business being in the Final Vote.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2014, 07:58:11 AM »
I guess it's Mike Trout and 24 other guys.

Yep

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
Yep

Trout would lead a lot of teams in all those categories.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »

Yep, nine others to be exact - NYY, TB, KC, MN, OAK, PHL, WAS, CIN, SD.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2014, 08:55:06 AM »
Pujols is having a good year, but not better than Cabrera, E5, Abreu, Moss or VMart.

Who else do you want, Kendrick?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
Pujols is having a good year, but not better than Cabrera, E5, Abreu, Moss or VMart.

Richards, Weaver and Wilson are very good starters but a level below Chris Sale (who inexplicably didn't make the team).

No one would have objected to Pujols, but he was their only legit possibility and he's no better than a coin flip with Moss.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:43:43 AM by Lennys Tap »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »
I blame the liberal media and Hollywood elites for not supporting a team with a Christian team name.

/Chico'ed

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #336 on: July 07, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
Perhaps before each fan votes,  each person should show a form of government ID.    ;D

Probably, especially since no free handouts involved.  When free handouts and goodies are coming, no gov't id needed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #337 on: July 07, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

Maybe this year he gets awarded as the best player in baseball even though this will be the third year in a row he fits that bill.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #338 on: July 07, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »

I merely said it was interesting, but in my view Garrett Richards deserves to be on the team and if it wasn't for Jeter's swan song, Aybar. Honestly, I like it.  A bunch of guys just doing their thing and playing good ball.  Hope it continues.  Playing in toughest division in baseball won't make it any easier.

Aybar has the highest WAR for SS in AL, leads SS in fielding in AL, in RBI for AL, etc.  I realize that no one cares about fielding anymore, I guess I'm old school and that matters to me.

Richards, 10-2, opponents hitting .196 against him (best in AL), etc.  Tough with pitchers, plenty of good guys that won't make it in that spot.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:30:41 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #339 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
  A bunch of guys just doing their thing and playing good ball. 

What a difference a year makes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #340 on: July 07, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
What a difference a year makes.

Buzz Williams and Tom Crean concur

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #341 on: July 07, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »
Aybar has the highest WAR for SS in AL, leads SS in fielding in AL, in RBI for AL, etc.  I realize that no one cares about fielding anymore, I guess I'm old school and that matters to me.

People care about fielding a lot, just not fielding pct. as a particularly good way to measure it.  Aybar has a handful fewer errors that JJ Hardy, but Hardy has made dozens of extra plays.  How much of that is park effects, pitcher's strikeouts when they're on the field, etc, has a lot to say about that.  At any rate, I do agree that Aybar is a worthy guy, but basically throw him, Ramirez and Hardy in a hat as there isn't a ton of difference between them.  I hate the Yankees and therefore Jeter, but even though his play this season may not deserve it, he certainly ought to be on the field for his last ASG, and I have no qualms with him starting.

Richards got caught in a numbers game.  I'm a Red Sox fan, and Jon Lester has been very good, but Richards a slight tick better (and Sale a lot better though he's short in IP), but they had to take someone from the Red Sox.  I thought it would be Uehara.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #342 on: July 07, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
People care about fielding a lot, just not fielding pct. as a particularly good way to measure it.  Aybar has a handful fewer errors that JJ Hardy, but Hardy has made dozens of extra plays.  How much of that is park effects, pitcher's strikeouts when they're on the field, etc, has a lot to say about that.  At any rate, I do agree that Aybar is a worthy guy, but basically throw him, Ramirez and Hardy in a hat as there isn't a ton of difference between them.  I hate the Yankees and therefore Jeter, but even though his play this season may not deserve it, he certainly ought to be on the field for his last ASG, and I have no qualms with him starting.

Richards got caught in a numbers game.  I'm a Red Sox fan, and Jon Lester has been very good, but Richards a slight tick better (and Sale a lot better though he's short in IP), but they had to take someone from the Red Sox.  I thought it would be Uehara.

I was being sarcastic around the MVP voting, where apparently fielding, base running, etc don't seem to matter.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »
I was being sarcastic around the MVP voting, where apparently fielding, base running, etc don't seem to matter.

Sorry, I missed that.  When evaluating baseball players, most people seem to have a big blind spot, which is that they only care about a player's best attribute, regardless of what that is.  Ozzie Smith sails into the Hall of Fame because he was the best defensive shortstop ever, but Alan Trammell doesn't get a sniff even though overall he was about equal to Ozzie but was good at everything rather than being other-worldy at one thing.   Trout is great at everything but people couldn't get past Cabrera's hit tool being better than any individual tool in Trout's bag, even though the sum of Trout's tools/contributions outweighed Cabrera's, particularly last year.  Human nature, I guess.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »
Sorry, I missed that.  When evaluating baseball players, most people seem to have a big blind spot, which is that they only care about a player's best attribute, regardless of what that is.  Ozzie Smith sails into the Hall of Fame because he was the best defensive shortstop ever, but Alan Trammell doesn't get a sniff even though overall he was about equal to Ozzie but was good at everything rather than being other-worldy at one thing.   Trout is great at everything but people couldn't get past Cabrera's hit tool being better than any individual tool in Trout's bag, even though the sum of Trout's tools/contributions outweighed Cabrera's, particularly last year.  Human nature, I guess.

For normal people, I agree.  For the voters of these awards, who are supposed to be able to see the full picture and everything that person does, it's hard to defend.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #345 on: July 07, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
It is a case of new school versus old school.   In '12, the voters (rightfully, IMO) rewarded the first triple crown in 45 years.    Last year, the argument was the classic about whether a really good player on a .500 team should be rewarded over a really good player on a playoff team.    Age old arguments.   Good for beer summits.   I freely acknowledge that Mike Trout is the most impressive young player in the game.   He is awesome.   I would choose him first if I was starting a team.   But there were compelling arguments for someone other than him to be the MVP the last two years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #346 on: July 07, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
And they're choosing the most valuable player, not the best player. If one guy leads a team to a title while another leads a team to mediocrity (or worse) the former can be deemed more valuable even if he's not "the best" player.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #347 on: July 07, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
Some stat guy is going to know this instantly but at the moment I can't remember.   Since Andre Dawson in '87 with the Cubs, has there been an MVP from a team with a <.500 record?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #348 on: July 07, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »
Some stat guy is going to know this instantly but at the moment I can't remember.   Since Andre Dawson in '87 with the Cubs, has there been an MVP from a team with a <.500 record?

ARod in 2003 comes to mind.

Edit: Ripken in 1991 as well came to my mind.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:17:11 PM by PTM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #349 on: July 07, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
Was Yount's Brewers team any good?

feedback