[Today at 04:38:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match  (Read 244633 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: 2014 MLB Thread & Pissing Match
« Reply #300 on: June 18, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
Guys who have been around the game know when a hit batter is intentional and when it is not. Sorry, didn't know you were new to baseball.

Ummm, not sure where you got the idea that I thought it was incidental. 

brandx

« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »
Ummm, not sure where you got the idea that I thought it was incidental. 

I was referring to the 2 D'bags hit - not Braun.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
It doesn't matter.  Two guys get hit, intentional or not, there is probably some retaliation on the horizon.

In an unrelated story, someone taunted Ryan Howard with a "Ryan Howard listens to Nickelback" sign.  That's gotta be one of the best taunts ever. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
It doesn't matter.  Two guys get hit, intentional or not, there is probably some retaliation on the horizon.

No actually I haven't heard of many incidents of retaliation against clearly non-intentional HBP before.

brandx

« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »

In an unrelated story, someone taunted Ryan Howard with a "Ryan Howard listens to Nickelback" sign.  That's gotta be one of the best taunts ever. 

Wow. That has to hurt.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2014, 09:04:48 PM »
Wow. That has to hurt.

If it were 2005 it might be funny too.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2014, 07:11:51 AM »

No actually I haven't heard of many incidents of retaliation against clearly non-intentional HBP before.

Agreed.  It wasn't retaliation... that was just a convenient cover for the fact that Gibson just plain doesn't like Braun.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
Anyone else watch Kershaw last night? His curve looked like it was from a cartoon.  Unreal. 

brandx

« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
Anyone else watch Kershaw last night? His curve looked like it was from a cartoon.  Unreal.  

Saw the last few innings. Kinda funny that the guys on MLB network were predicting a Perfect game by the 3rd inning. That's how dominant his stuff was.

Kerry Wood's game is still the gold standard, though.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
The Cubs have played 29 home games and 41 games on the road, by far the lowest percentage of home games in the majors.  I just thought that was an odd, given we're 70 games into the season.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
Saw the last few innings. Kinda funny that the guys on MLB network were predicting a Perfect game by the 3rd inning. That's how dominant his stuff was.

Kerry Wood's stuff during that game was ridiculous and I'm a brewer fan.  Torque probably led to elbow troubles but just amazing movement.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »

I don't know, Wood had more K's but Kershaw was unreal last night.  He threw a higher % of strikes than Wood did in his game and had a better % of swings and misses.  Kershaw was also perfect for 28 outs essentially.  Wood was dominant, no doubt there, but he gave up a hit.  Kershaw didn't, that plays into the dominance in my opinion, even though the hit Wood gave up wasn't exactly a screamer. 

And if I am remembering correctly, in Felix's perfecto he didn't even need a special defensive play, he just dominated everyone.

There really isn't a wrong answer.  I guess I'm just not sure how you can put one over the others.  That was just something else.  That game alone was worth the cost of mlb tv

brandx

« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
I don't know, Wood had more K's but Kershaw was unreal last night.  He threw a higher % of strikes than Wood did in his game and had a better % of swings and misses.  Kershaw was also perfect for 28 outs essentially.  Wood was dominant, no doubt there, but he gave up a hit.  Kershaw didn't, that plays into the dominance in my opinion, even though the hit Wood gave up wasn't exactly a screamer. 

And if I am remembering correctly, in Felix's perfecto he didn't even need a special defensive play, he just dominated everyone.

There really isn't a wrong answer.  I guess I'm just not sure how you can put one over the others.  That was just something else.  That game alone was worth the cost of mlb tv

Clayton was truly dominant. In wood's defense, the one hit he gave up was basically the same play were Tulo hit the ball to 3rd base - only hit softer with a faster runner.

Would be interesting to see how Kershaw's game scored on Bill James' Game Score Method. There have only been 9 games where a pitcher ever scored at least 100 points (Ryan and Koufax rank 2nd on the list with 101). Wood scored 105. I'm guessing Kershaw's game was probably the 10th to hit at least the 100 point mark.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Clayton was truly dominant. In wood's defense, the one hit he gave up was basically the same play were Tulo hit the ball to 3rd base - only hit softer with a faster runner.

Would be interesting to see how Kershaw's game scored on Bill James' Game Score Method. There have only been 9 games where a pitcher ever scored at least 100 points (Ryan and Koufax rank 2nd on the list with 101). Wood scored 105. I'm guessing Kershaw's game was probably the 10th to hit at least the 100 point mark.

Came in at 102 - 2nd highest

http://mlb.si.com/2014/06/19/clayton-kershaw-no-hitter-historical-context/
But I like to throw handfuls...

brandx

« Reply #314 on: June 19, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
Thanx!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2014, 06:50:51 AM »
So fellow Brewers fans...when will be the great collapse of 2014, and how will it going down?  I am thinking August, with two west coast trips, separated by a week (how is that for scheduling quirk, @Cubs series, then @ Dodgers, home for the Jays and Buccos, then back out to west coast for @SD and @SF).

Most likely a combination of something stupid like a player running over Lucroy, Braun getting hurt again, and Gallardo crapting the bed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
So fellow Brewers fans...when will be the great collapse of 2014, and how will it going down?  I am thinking August, with two west coast trips, separated by a week (how is that for scheduling quirk, @Cubs series, then @ Dodgers, home for the Jays and Buccos, then back out to west coast for @SD and @SF).

Most likely a combination of something stupid like a player running over Lucroy, Braun getting hurt again, and Gallardo crapting the bed.

I am waiting for July 31st to make any further prognostications about August and beyond.  For now, I'm sticking with the sole prognostication I made on page 1.

(For the record, the Crew is on pace for 96 wins right now, and Garza has yet to visit the DL.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #317 on: June 20, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
I am waiting for July 31st to make any further prognostications about August and beyond.  For now, I'm sticking with the sole prognostication I made on page 1.

(For the record, the Crew is on pace for 96 wins right now, and Garza has yet to visit the DL.)

I said at the beginning of the season that if Garza wins 14 games, the Crew is a lock for the Playoffs. I still stand by that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #318 on: June 20, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »
I'm not foreseeing a Brewers collapse this year.  I think they might pick up a contributor or two before the end of July and then they continue to roll...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #319 on: June 23, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
I'm not foreseeing a Brewers collapse this year.  I think they might pick up a contributor or two before the end of July and then they continue to roll...

I'm more interested in what other teams do before the end of July since it's difficult to imagine the Brewers picking up a contributor - let alone 2 - before the trade deadline.  Brewers could use some help at 1B, SP#5, and OF depth.... otherwise, there really aren't any upgrades out there over what they already have.

I can't see a team giving up a SP before the Brewers look from within if Estrada can't get healthy or put it together (IMO - he's trying to work through a nagging injury or something else right now).  There's no way the Brewers get Samardzjia or Hammel from the Cubs, and every other SP out there with an ERA under 3.00 is either under club control through 2015 and/or playing for a contender.

The only 1B free agents - who aren't currently on the DL or playing for a contender - are Dunn, Konerko, & Pena... and I'll take the Reynolds/Overbay platoon over any one of those three.  The only way I see the Brewers getting help at 1B is if the Nationals swoon (or the Braves rebound) and Washington decides they don't want to pick up LaRoche's $15M option next year... in which case, the Brewers' better make the most of their next three games.  Cuddyer would have been an interesting candidate, but it doesn't look like he's going to come back from the DL before the deadline.  Beyond that, the Brewers simply don't have the farm depth to pull off a mid-season trade for a contributor who's still under club control after this year.  It's a really weak year for mid-season trade options at 1B.

If anything, the Brewers will trade for OF depth before the deadline, but whoever they get isn't going to be an everyday contributor.  Maybe they can entice SD into trading Seth Smith... his OBP alone would be just what the Brewers need either off the bench or in a platoon with Davis.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:50:52 PM by Benny B »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #320 on: June 23, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »
I think they'd consider a two month rental on a free agent 1st Baseman.  A Cuddyer type that could also play some outfield would be ideal.  They could also get a lift at the bottom of the rotation from someone at AAA Nashville like Jimmy Nelson for the 2nd half.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
But of the three first basemen Benny mentioned, none are better than the current alternatives.  Furthermore, neither Konerko nor Dunn can field.  Cuddyer is not supposed to be back until August.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #322 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting a solid right-hander for the pen.  Wooten is ok, Kintzler is garbage, Roenicke doesn't trust Fiers enough to pitch him at all, Thornburg and Henderson are hurt, and unless Thornburg returns to his April form and Henderson his 2013 form they aren't reliable.  Find a veteran right hander and forget all of that noise. 

Agree that an outfielder would be nice as well.  Schafer should be back from his assignment soon - can't even hit AAA pitching well, but can at least play defense.  Anything beats the disaster of Herrera in the outfield.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #323 on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
Definitely going to need a bullpen arm. Forget a number 5 starter. Get a top line type guy or don't bother. Not really about making the playoffs so much anymore, more about trying to win once you get there. A back of the rotation guy doesn't do that. A top of the rotation guy does.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #324 on: June 23, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
I think they'd consider a two month rental on a free agent 1st Baseman.  A Cuddyer type that could also play some outfield would be ideal.  They could also get a lift at the bottom of the rotation from someone at AAA Nashville like Jimmy Nelson for the 2nd half.

The only other 1B/OF rental out there is a guy who wears sunglasses at night.

feedback