'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Student Section  (Read 9382 times)

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
Student Section
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »
The Student Section has as a lot of energy but in my opinion is very small in numbers with a few big game exceptions.  During the last game we didn't even fill the lower bowl section.  Thankful for those that do make it.  Question here is what will it take to make it a higher priority for the students to attend?  More giveaways, lower cost tickets, more coach and team promotion, better marketing to students? 

It is disappointing knowing that they are really missing out on a good time.  Has school just gotten that time demanding that you can't take a couple hours off?

JD

• All American
Re: Student Section
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »
There's an existing thread for this..

To answer your question, i live with a bunch of "bros"  who really don't care about MU ball unless it's march, or we play a big name team.  That's how most basketball fans are.  The people who contribute on forums like this are more than fans, it's a way of life for most of us.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »
It could be that sports just aren't as popular with the younger generation as they used to be.  There's more distractions now than ever before, you can't trick someone into following basketball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
The answer is straight up laziness. I graduated recently in 2010 and while I was in school I went to every single game along with one of my roommates, but the rest of my friends would rather sit on the couch and watch the game. They didn't feel a "need" to get off their ass and head the astounding 6 blocks to the BC to watch a game they knew we were going to win. If it was a big time game or a weekend game then everyone would go but for a game against the lower half of the big east my friends didn't want to put the effort into it.

Which brings up a question. For those of you that were in school in the 70s, 80s, and 90s if you wanted to watch the game was the only option to attend or were they on TV? I think that's the problem, students can simply watch every game on TV so they aren't forced to attend. 
Bring back FFP!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
More promotions will get asses in the seats, but it will cost.

In 2004 and 2005, there was a student promotion almost every game. There was also an assload of flyers all over campus. It was a big deal when MU would be on ESPN2, and those signs would promote it.

If you give away a shirt, a bandana, a noodle, a crappy hat, etc every game where attendance will suck, the students will show up to get it. Not 100% full, but a lot better than not filling the lower bowl.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
Well, it's not the cost of the tickets.  Dad paid the $99 for season tickets (16 games). I think a very fair price.  My daughter did not go to the last game because she said none of her friends were going, "it's just South Florida dad".  Busy with school work during the week, soooooo unlike her father.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
Every game is on TV now.  Some kids just aren't die hard go to every single home game even it's crappy on a Monday night against last place USF fans.  Sure, people like us would go to every game, but you can't expect everyone to be as into it as we are.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
Have Buzz email the students that he is disappointed with the turn out.  If they don't show up, he leaves for SMU.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
A consistent b-ball player will bring them back. Someone you love to watch play like Jae C. was. Now, you don't know what MU team or which player is going to show up. Look at the Season SoG Tally. It's all over the place. If one player could become the main attraction, the game will become more exciting. Someone like Sean Kilpatrick. Good in one on one isolation play.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
I agree it is laziness. My son is freshman and none of his buddies wanted to go on Monday night. He has only been to a few games and really comes down to kids being lazy IMO.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
I agree it is laziness. My son is freshman and none of his buddies wanted to go on Monday night. He has only been to a few games and really comes down to kids being lazy IMO.

Too many are following, not enough are leading.

The ones that do make to games, as has been mentioned before, have been very good in creating a good student atmosphere IMO

JD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
Give your kids my number, i'll glady go with them.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »

Lazy?  Maybe they just would rather do something else.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
It could be that sports just aren't as popular with the younger generation as they used to be.  There's more distractions now than ever before, you can't trick someone into following basketball.

I don't know if someone can produce data on this point, but it seems to me that the student crowds today are far, far better than they were when I was at Marquette (87-91)-- both in terms of numbers and involvement.  I think the open seating has helped with that -- we had to buy season tickets for a particular seat.  My senior year we were first in line for tickets and even the "best" student seats weren't as good as what many students get now (I think Chicos was probably also in the group of us that bought them together, but I don't remember for sure).  It also doesn't hurt that the team doesn't suck.

Sometimes I think the current students look a little ridiculous -- but that's just a "get off my lawn" moment and not a "real" criticism.  We looked ridiculous too, and we weren't particularly clever or original.  Far more often than not, I'm very impressed by the student turnout and involvement at the games (at least what can be seen on TV).  I think the current students need to do exactly what I would have done when I was in their shoes:  ignore us grumpy alums who insist that we had to walk 10 miles to the Bradley Center...barefoot...up hill...both ways...all while developing clever and original chants and cheers.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »
I go to UW-Whitewater but I'll sell my season tickets and sit in the student section if someone wants to give me tickets.  ;D

Next year I'll be in Grad school at Marquette so I'll be joining you guys in the student section

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »

Yeah watch the game on TV. I have two brothers at MU right now (Junior and Freshman) and I'd bet that they have not gone to the game more often than they have. Like I said earlier on weekends or big games kids will go but they don't have the motivation to go to just any game, especially if their friends aren't going.
Bring back FFP!!!

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 01:52:51 PM »
Lazy? Really?

Its not called laziness. Its just that they don't care as much as MUBB as we do, the type of people that post on message boards. They have other things they would rather do, or they are content with watching on TV. Its not rocket science.

I graduated two years ago and went to 75% of games. Many friends of mine didn't bother to go to hardly any.  They just had other things they'd rather do. It doesn't mean they are lazy. That theory literally makes me laugh, because in reality, its just them not caring as much about something as you/we do.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 02:02:55 PM »
Cbowe hit it on the head. Students are just lazy and would rather watch "Buck Wild" or "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding". I dont understand how going to an MU game can take a back seat to anything else on campus. Anyone think if there were more bars on campus for drink deals before the games, it would get more kids to the game?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:09:45 PM by southsidemuphan »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
It's a combination of two things...

1) Every game is on TV. It's easier to watch a game on your HDTV from your couch than it is to make the long, cold trek to the BC.

2) The current students don't know Marquette as anything other than a top 25 program with every game televised. Way back in my day (98-02), the opponent was the draw and not all that many games were on TV*. If you wanted to watch a game, you basically had to go to the game. To us alums who only knew mediocre basketball in our student days, we can't comprehend the current students not wanting to go see a top 25 program, which just so happens to be OUR program, play live every chance we get. To the current students, they don't know any different so the opponent is still the draw.

These aren't necessarily bad things. It's just the reality.

* - Ironically, when the game was actually on TV, more students would show up.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
I said laziness in regard to my son. He tried to rally the troops and sitting around drinking beer was better option than walking to BC. All of his buddies fall into big MU fans and they follow closely. Lazy or apathy I think too many options for kids today.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
The Student Section has as a lot of energy but in my opinion is very small in numbers with a few big game exceptions.  During the last game we didn't even fill the lower bowl section.  Thankful for those that do make it.  Question here is what will it take to make it a higher priority for the students to attend?  More giveaways, lower cost tickets, more coach and team promotion, better marketing to students? 

It is disappointing knowing that they are really missing out on a good time.  Has school just gotten that time demanding that you can't take a couple hours off?

We played Providence at 1 in the afternoon on a Saturday and I thought the crowd was quite good....In my 4 years I think this is the best student section I have seen

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »

Yeah, I find that kind of dumb. It suppose to be entertainment, so why should you be forced to go?

Also, back in the day you couldn't watch the game at home. Now you can watch it on a big screen and with a laptop that has up to the second stats that are way more informative then watching a game live. Absolutely hate that the BC refuses to replay close calls. As a fan I feel I miss stuff when I go to a game. Not to mention you can get a couple 12-packs and pizza for what it would cost for 1 round of beers.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »
I think the star identity problem is plausible.  Davante is turning  into a favorite and has great support among those attending.  The Amigos, Jimmy and Lazar were had great student fans and even Rob Frozena held the students to the last minute.  

We are long way from the rabid (no pun) student fans on many campuses.  Maybe I have exaggerated expectations from our small student base.  I wonder how we do on the ratio of student fans to total full-time undergrads.

Seemingly last year and the several years that we actually had a few sellouts they invaded the upper bowl on a more frequent basis.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
I also feel the off-the-court issues has hurt the mood around campus. Definitely turned off a few casual fans/students.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
I think it is a combination of different things:

1) A lot easier for students to get tickets. Back in ’79-’83 ticket packages through lottery and only ½ of the games. Guess that makes you appreciate tickets more. We would use crappy game tickets from our package to go to big games of the other package and would have to sit on the stairs.
2) Not all games were on TV. As I recall if local game was not a sellout it would get blacked out in the Milwaukee area.
3) Seems there are more lectures/labs at night that interfere with week games. My son had lectures or labs at night the last 4 semesters.
4) Home schedule so far this year looks weak with U Conn and Georgetown during break. Only the UW game was big. Looking forward Pitt., ‘Cuse, and N.D. should draw the students. 
Goal is National Championship